Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #721
scobib
Magic Chef

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
How far down do you run the AC10 before you replace it? What do you approximate your street/dirt ratio to be? Thanks
Down to the nubs... 90% dirt and 10% pavement. Getting about 1000 miles out of a rear, but I'm throttle happy. My Pops has the same setup on his '09 KLX250 and has gotten 1200 out of the first rear and it's only 50% worn. :)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #722
scobib
Magic Chef

Not sure if I saw anyone comment on the IMS tank in here, other than to say it was available... My Dad and I had been on the 'waiting list' for the IMS tank for what seemed like FORever, when we finally got that special email that the tanks were designed, being manufactured, and would ship in a week. That was several months ago.

Anyway, I installed mine prior to a trip to Big Bend in January. One of my biggest pet peeves with the KLX had always been the stupidly small tank. Wasn't a big fan of modifying a ton of crap to stuff an earlier model tank into it, either. Anyway, things are farther apart here in Tejas. 2.1 gals is stupid. Yes, the KLX sips gas, but around the 110 mile range, you get a little twitchy. Or, at least we did. Consequently, route planning always meant a ~100 mile gas stop - often times, taking you on stupid and pointless side trips. We typically ride 150ish miles a day in various stuff (90% dirt in various forms).

Enter the 3 gallon IMS tank. Win! No fuel stops required for our normal loops. Feel completely comfortable riding a 150 mile loop. I would say 180 miles with moderate throttle and speeds is completely do-able. We average ~62 mpg. Unless we're being stupid. Which isn't very often. We run the FMF Q4, MegaBomb, Dynojetted, KDX snorkel, NoToil filters. They run like they should have from the factory, and yet still sip fuel unless ridden in anger.

Me and Pops both got the natural finish - yes, you CAN see the fuel level and to me, that's awesome.

One caution - be SURE you delete the stupid fuel vapor recovery/canister crap. I did not do this when I installed my IMS tank. I rode for an entire day in Big Bend Nat'l Park with no issues. The next day, we went to Big Bend Ranch State Park and the dang thing wouldn't start. Finally pulled one of the vacuum hoses in the fuel vapor recover/emissions waste-of-time-and-money system and wallah! she fired right up. The IMS tank does NOT have all the connections the OEM tank has - I didn't know if that would be an issue when I installed it, so I just clamped off lines - well, it's an issue. I immediately yanked all of it and field fixed the vacuum/breather coming from the valve cover by cutting off the hose, slapping a big bolt in there, and using a hose clamp to seal it up. I have since installed a block off plate from Bill Blue.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #723
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobib View Post
Not sure if I saw anyone comment on the IMS tank in here, other than to say it was available... My Dad and I had been on the 'waiting list' for the IMS tank for what seemed like FORever, when we finally got that special email that the tanks were designed, being manufactured, and would ship in a week. That was several months ago.

Anyway, I installed mine prior to a trip to Big Bend in January. One of my biggest pet peeves with the KLX had always been the stupidly small tank. Wasn't a big fan of modifying a ton of crap to stuff an earlier model tank into it, either. Anyway, things are farther apart here in Tejas. 2.1 gals is stupid. Yes, the KLX sips gas, but around the 110 mile range, you get a little twitchy. Or, at least we did. Consequently, route planning always meant a ~100 mile gas stop - often times, taking you on stupid and pointless side trips. We typically ride 150ish miles a day in various stuff (90% dirt in various forms).

Enter the 3 gallon IMS tank. Win! No fuel stops required for our normal loops. Feel completely comfortable riding a 150 mile loop. I would say 180 miles with moderate throttle and speeds is completely do-able. We average ~62 mpg. Unless we're being stupid. Which isn't very often. We run the FMF Q4, MegaBomb, Dynojetted, KDX snorkel, NoToil filters. They run like they should have from the factory, and yet still sip fuel unless ridden in anger.

Me and Pops both got the natural finish - yes, you CAN see the fuel level and to me, that's awesome.

One caution - be SURE you delete the stupid fuel vapor recovery/canister crap. I did not do this when I installed my IMS tank. I rode for an entire day in Big Bend Nat'l Park with no issues. The next day, we went to Big Bend Ranch State Park and the dang thing wouldn't start. Finally pulled one of the vacuum hoses in the fuel vapor recover/emissions waste-of-time-and-money system and wallah! she fired right up. The IMS tank does NOT have all the connections the OEM tank has - I didn't know if that would be an issue when I installed it, so I just clamped off lines - well, it's an issue. I immediately yanked all of it and field fixed the vacuum/breather coming from the valve cover by cutting off the hose, slapping a big bolt in there, and using a hose clamp to seal it up. I have since installed a block off plate from Bill Blue.
Yeah, fuel capacity is one of those more personal issues based on location and type of use profile. Some won't need more fuel, and some won't be able to do without it. I also have a KLX. I go to BBNP and BBSP every year, and having that extra fuel can be a big plus depending on your route. I also go to CO and UT every year and have had loops as long as 175 miles without a gas station. My Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank has been a real pleasure in relieving fuel concerns.

I see you're in Texas too. I'm over in the Abilene area. What region are you from?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #724
scobib
Magic Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I see you're in Texas too. I'm over in the Abilene area. What region are you from?
Dallas here... Hitting the Roll the Bones Rally in October? We are... We went the first year and had fun. Decided to head back. Easy riding, questionable camaraderie (at best), but fun.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #725
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Down to the nubs... 90% dirt and 10% pavement. Getting about 1000 miles out of a rear, but I'm throttle happy. My Pops has the same setup on his '09 KLX250 and has gotten 1200 out of the first rear and it's only 50% worn. :)
Good to know. I'm an old guy who just putts around so I should get tire life similar to what your Pops gets.
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #726
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Dallas here... Hitting the Roll the Bones Rally in October? We are... We went the first year and had fun. Decided to head back. Easy riding, questionable camaraderie (at best), but fun.
I've heard of that one. That's just ahead of my annual BB trip, so I'll have to pass.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #727
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
Box stock performance-wise, just 606s, handguards, a fender bob, and tools...

Pawnee Grassland. 5,000'

Switzerland Trail near Gold Hill. 8,300'

Above Carnero Pass. 10,100'

Deadman Fire Lookout. 10,700'

Rollins Pass, at the road closure. 11,300'

Now you can concentrate on the important stuff, like where to eat....

Wow !!!
Way cool......thanks. Alleviates my concerns. I'm a long time 2-stroker so I guess that was tainting my thoughts.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #728
phil77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Chain and sprockets

Ok so it's time for a new chain. I've been told to change out the chain and sprockets at the same time. Looking for suggestion on where and what type to buy. I've been looking at bike bandit and rocky mountain.Also what is a good combo of sprockets to get good torque and still maintain a good crusing speed. I probably use bike 50/50 dirt and road. And am fairly new to this dual sport game. Thanks for any help
phil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #729
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Stick to a brand name chain rather than a house brand. A buddy just went through a bit of pain trying to get a master link for a house brand chain. No way to get one locally! He had to modify something close, which, with a master link is probably not a good idea.
Get a x-ring or o-ring chain.
I'm running 13 - 42 gearing (stock is 14 - 42) which works OK on highway and improves the off road. Highway around here is 55 - 60 mph.
Changing both sprockets with the chain is best, but you might be able to get away with doing just the chain and the front sprocket. Every second front sprocket also do the rear.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #730
phil77
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Stick to a brand name chain rather than a house brand. A buddy just went through a bit of pain trying to get a master link for a house brand chain. No way to get one locally! He had to modify something close, which, with a master link is probably not a good idea.
Get a x-ring or o-ring chain.
I'm running 13 - 42 gearing (stock is 14 - 42) which works OK on highway and improves the off road. Highway around here is 55 - 60 mph.
Changing both sprockets with the chain is best, but you might be able to get away with doing just the chain and the front sprocket. Every second front sprocket also do the rear.
Thanks for the help. I cannot find anyone who sells a 42T rear sprocket anywhere. I think 49 or 50 is the smallest I have found. Any ideas who sells a 42T? Also not sure if I mentioned I have a 09. Dennis kirk says my stock rear sprocket is 39. I'm confused because everyone is saying what you told me but the stores don't list them for my bike.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #731
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil77 View Post
Thanks for the help. I cannot find anyone who sells a 42T rear sprocket anywhere. I think 49 or 50 is the smallest I have found. Any ideas who sells a 42T? Also not sure if I mentioned I have a 09. Dennis kirk says my stock rear sprocket is 39. I'm confused because everyone is saying what you told me but the stores don't list them for my bike.
Hmmm...that's odd, there's hardly any 42T rear sprockets from some sources. Of course you can always get it from Kawasaki. On that 39T recommendation, maybe they were giving you the motord KLX gearing. Personally I'd go with a 47T rear and get a chain length that puts the adjusters in the middle of their range with a 14T front sprocket. You can then use a 13T and 15T along with that setup.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #732
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,132
Contact JT Sprockets. They can make anything you want if they don't already have it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #733
phil77
Adventurer

I did a little more research and it seems like many people are running 13/45. They say its a good mix or bottom end torque and top end. Anyone have any experience with this set up? Also I wasn't able to find the chain size for this. Never realized that there were so many options in chains and sprockets. I'm new to this and man it is overwhelming all the info out there.

I guess im looking to be able to get the front tire off the ground with a little effort(someone gave me that advice) but also be able to go on the highway 60+MPH with out reving out engine. so anyone else's input is welcome. part numbers would be helpful too. :)

I just looked at what I have on there now and its a 14 front and a 48 rear. I am good with the top end speed so might just change to a 13 front and call it a day.

phil77 screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 12:54 PM Reason: updated
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #734
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Just want to run this by some 09 and up KLXers. My bike has an awful lean, especially when I have a load. I just wanted to post a pic of the bracket on the bike and the stand and make sure I don't have a bent bracket or something.

The bracket doesn't look bent to me, what do you think?

I am thinking of having my kickstand lengthened by about an inch.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #735
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Just want to run this by some 09 and up KLXers. My bike has an awful lean, especially when I have a load. I just wanted to post a pic of the bracket on the bike and the stand and make sure I don't have a bent bracket or something.

The bracket doesn't look bent to me, what do you think?

I am thinking of having my kickstand lengthened by about an inch.
Wow, that's a LOT. I would swear your bracket is at a steeper angle than mine, but I agree, it's not necessarily bent. Manufacturer defect maybe? The bottom of your extended kickstand looks to be out at least 3" farther than mine.

Before lengthening the stand, what about having it cut off at an angle and re-welded so that it's angled more down and less out? That might solve your problem. Another option is just go ride hard and dump it a few times on the left side. My kickstand has been bent a few times from that, and I've had to bend it back OUT.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote