User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #106
skubidoobie
Loves to Ride

Oddometer: 90
Cool2 Weeeee!!!!!!!!!

Well today I picked up the bike with zero miles on it, has about 40 now, and 10 or so are off road. First impression "Hmmmm, there's no power here" but that quickly changed to "Wow this little bike is a ton of fun" as soon as I hit dirt. I was just too used to my Bandit, and haven't been on a dirtbike in a couple years. When I got close to home I decided to check out the old trails, but I was very depressed to find Posted signs and new construction in what used to be great riding locations. So I managed to find some ways around and new trails, and some gnarly mud holes that I remembered, all rutted out from Jeeps and such as they always were. This little bike had no problem going anywhere, and I went up (and down) some nasty hills I didn't expect to come across. Over roots, through mud, some rocks, hard packed dirt, soft dirt, and sand. These tires hate deep sand, the only thing that made the bike squirrely. I had one hell of a time today!
skubidoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #107
skubidoobie
Loves to Ride

So I ended up ordering a jet kit, K&N filter, and full FMF exhaust. I need more power and sound! Still need a skid plate, RockyMountain is out of stock on theirs and B&B's hasn't been tested to fit.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #108
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
How closely does everyone follow the factory recommendation of not exceeding 4,000 rpms for the first 500 miles (page 44 of 2009 MOM)? Heck, the bike barely goes over 40 mph at 4,000 rpms.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #109
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubidoobie
So I ended up ordering a jet kit, K&N filter, and full FMF exhaust. I need more power and sound! Still need a skid plate, RockyMountain is out of stock on theirs and B&B's hasn't been tested to fit.
Ordering the 351 kit in 5 . . . . .4 . . . . . . 3 . . . . .2 . . . . . 1. . . . .

Congrat's on the new bike. I'm giving seriouis thought to dumping my KLR and getting one.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #110
skubidoobie
Loves to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS
How closely does everyone follow the factory recommendation of not exceeding 4,000 rpms for the first 500 miles (page 44 of 2009 MOM)? Heck, the bike barely goes over 40 mph at 4,000 rpms.
Well fug dude, I went two up with my gf up Montgomery mountain today so I could bring my gf somewhere with a couple miles of dirt road today to help her learn to ride, 4K is NOT going to get 345lbs ish up there lol.
Edit: Oh yeah, I have about 80-90 miles on the bike now and its been down twice, which must be against what the manual says too "Cannot drop within warranty period" lol
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #111
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Umm...aren't these bikes made to be dropped?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #112
Trueweltall
Backyard Bike Mechanic

Oddometer: 14
I have 100 miles on my bike as of tonight. I can not keep it under 4k rpm to scoot around town and to and from work. I drive it how I would drive anything else and it has been running like a champ. However it seems pointless to take this thing past 8k rpm...
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #113
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
You won't find anything past 8k. Most guys just ride them easy for the first couple of hundred miles and then start running them up to redline and back. Just don't do a continuous rpm. You will feel it loosen up after a while.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #114
Nightrunner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,140
Like the man says this is a controversial topic and probably the subject of many threads here. But FWIW

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

So anyway I drooling over the 09 KLX and may be picking one up soon. Great tread. Seems to be very few complaints about this bike.

Some places remain unknown because no one has ever ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.
Nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #115
Corytrade
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Which pipe?

So I am ready to start modding my 09 KLX250s. The first thing I want to get is a new pipe. All I can really find on the interweb is the FMF, Muzzy, and one on MotorcycleSuperstore.com (atomic something). Is this all that is out there, or am I failing on goggle? If it is between the FMF and the Muzzy, which do you recommend?
Corytrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #116
TomN OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
I'm up to 2600 miles on mine, got it last fall and rode it like normall from the start, no keep it below 4000 rpm or anything. Running great.

TomN screwed with this post 07-21-2009 at 10:32 AM
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #117
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corytrade
So I am ready to start modding my 09 KLX250s. The first thing I want to get is a new pipe. All I can really find on the interweb is the FMF, Muzzy, and one on MotorcycleSuperstore.com (atomic something). Is this all that is out there, or am I failing on goggle? If it is between the FMF and the Muzzy, which do you recommend?
Check out this page

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1645

Check out this site

http://kawasakiforums.com/forum/foru...aysprune=&f=71

Hope this helps
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #118
bdefen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Self built rear rack and aux tank mount...

I've attached five photos of my KLX250S tail rack. [/font]

Photo 1 shows the left side. I have an easily removable aluminum plate that goes there for mounting the Acerbis auxiliary fuel tank. 1.3 gallons. Like carrying a gas can. I bought it 'cause I couldn’t find an aftermarket tank that either fits right, or is the right color. I don't want to put the lime green Acerbis tank on the bike. And I like the little stock tank, and it works for trips under 100 miles, which is about all I do on this bike. I have a KTM 950 for longer hauls. I had a Jarbidge ride in the spring that went about 130 miles, so I bought the Acerbis aux tank, and carried it in a back pack. Normally, the Acerbis tank rides like a front number plate.]nt]
Photo 2 shows the mounting underneath the rack. I used the two threaded holes that the stock tool bag mounts on, and drilled two holes further back in the sub frame. The washers are the spacers necessary to level the rack properly. It was pretty secure, and I used it without the added tank mount bracing for a number of rides. I mainly carry a 10 lb tail bag with spare tubes, Slime pump, tire irons, the stock tool kit, and some other items.t]
Photo 3 is from the back and shows more of the mounting and spacer detail (and my sloppy drill job through the plastic)
[/font]

Photo 4 shows the bracing on the right side attaching to the same lug used by the muffler.nt]
Photo 5 is the view from the top rear (and some Rok Straps)
The side bracing attaches to the rack plate using the aluminum angle stock as mounting lugs. The rack is very secure. All the aluminum pieces and nuts and bolts were sourced at Ace Hardware. And again, the rack plate is a stock rack plate from Happy Trails. My aux tank mounting plate was scrap given me by a guy here at work. I think Happy Trails charged me about $65 for the basic rack plate, and I have another $50 or so in aluminum stock and nuts and bolts. I have about 8 hours work in it. The tank will ride like a left side saddlebag using some of the Acerbis mounting hardware. I've got a little more fabbing to do before it's done. Maybe a couple more hours work.

Here's a link to Just Gas Tanks and the Acerbis Auxiliary tank

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=360_362&products_id=350[/
Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #119
Uncle Gumby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
OTD deal

How does $4730 OTD sound for an '09KLX250S??
'12 R1200GS
Uncle Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #120
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnm800
How does $4730 OTD sound for an '09KLX250S??
Pretty damn good to me.