User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
bobby OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Motorcycles with Shaft Drive

I own a 2005 KLR and I truly love my bike, however after royally abusing it for almost two years now I feel that I need to get a bigger bike. I have put over 20K hard miles per year on it and have done a lot of high speed riding and two up riding on it. She has been a great bike but I feel that I will be left stranded if I keep pushing her this way. I will keep my KLR but I am wanting a bike that is bigger, faster and better suited for 2 up riding. Of course I want it to be in the Adventure Touring Class/Dual Sport.

I am not set on getting a bike that has a shaft drive but I really like the idea of it. Is the BMW GS the only Adventure Touring bike that has a shaft drive? Has anyone heard of any problems with the larger GS since it is air cooled?

The other bikes that I was considering are:
V Strom 1000
1200 GS
Buell Ulysses

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for bikes. I am not set on having a shaft drive but it just seems so much more convenient than having to adjust and lube the chain all the time.

As always thanks for the help:-)
Bobby
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
I've got about 19k miles on 2007 GSA and love it, have had no issues other than warped brake rotor replaced under warranty. The G-spot thread on this forum has all the info you'll ever want about the GSs.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 895
I dont understand why you need a shaft drive. A DID VM2 chain lasts 20k easily. I have had to adjust my chain a grand total of 2 times in 15k miles and lubed it 3-4 times maybe. (no, i am not kidding)
Its lighter, cheaper, easy to check, easier to replace and i love the option of changing the sprockets to suit one kind of riding or another.
I have had bikes with shafts and while i've been lucky to never have one give me any trouble, i wouldnt ever feel comfortable going very far on one.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 895
Also, dont forget the DL650. It is a very very capable and reliable machine and not a whole lot more expensive than your KLR. Two up is not a problem on the Wee. The seat is though ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
I own a 2005 KLR and I truly love my bike, however after royally abusing it for almost two years now I feel that I need to get a bigger bike. I have put over 20K hard miles per year on it and have done a lot of high speed riding and two up riding on it. She has been a great bike but I feel that I will be left stranded if I keep pushing her this way. I will keep my KLR but I am wanting a bike that is bigger, faster and better suited for 2 up riding. Of course I want it to be in the Adventure Touring Class/Dual Sport.

I am not set on getting a bike that has a shaft drive but I really like the idea of it. Is the BMW GS the only Adventure Touring bike that has a shaft drive? Has anyone heard of any problems with the larger GS since it is air cooled?

The other bikes that I was considering are:
V Strom 1000
1200 GS
Buell Ulysses

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for bikes. I am not set on having a shaft drive but it just seems so much more convenient than having to adjust and lube the chain all the time.

As always thanks for the help:-)
Bobby
Old 11-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Boston12GS
Banned

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by srileo
I have had bikes with shafts and while i've been lucky to never have one give me any trouble, i wouldnt ever feel comfortable going very far on one.
Glad I don't have that concern, I would've missed my Boston-to-Florida ride, Boston-to-Oklahoma ride, Boston-to-Oregon ride, several 1,000-mile/24-hour rallies, plus other rides totalling ~30,000 miles, all on a shaft drive, all within the last two years, no shaft problems at all.

I remember the joys of chain cleaning & lubing--don't miss it a bit.
Boston12GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Boston12GS
Banned

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by srileo
Also, dont forget the DL650. It is a very very capable and reliable machine and not a whole lot more expensive than your KLR. Two up is not a problem on the Wee. The seat is though ;-)
A very good bike, indeed (still miss the one I traded away)--well, except for that chain.
Boston12GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 847
Guzzi's are shaft drive...
Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Cool2

FWIW, I've owned, and run hard a few late model BMWs. I'll spare you the details except to say the shaft assembly on the last one, a 12GS, was found to be "ready to explode" according the BMW tech during a regular maintenance at 36K.

Enough was enough. I won't buy another BMW.

I feel much better being able to view my drive and easily clean it up as needed. And swapping out a chain every 20K or so takes less than a half hour on larger road bikes.

You might look at the Triumph Tiger (1050).

It's a cream puff with balls, decent fuel capacity, comfortable and very low maintenance.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
WQFTruckster
Adventure Engineer

Oddometer: 61
If you go with the Buell, you get the best of both worlds. The belt drive is just as easy to replace as a chain, about the same cost, and you never need to clean, lube, or adjust. A belt should easily last 20k miles. Many have lasted a lot longer. If it makes you nervous, swap it at 15k and keep the old one as a spare. The only downside might be that changing gearing might be a bit more difficult, but with the Uly, you can do the XB9 primary swap if you are so inclined. I haven't felt the need yet.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Personal

Boy, this is really one of those personal preferrence deals.
Lot's of folks grew up riding dirt bikes and lubing the chain and replacing the sprockets and all that. My first bike was a chain drive CL360. Rode it to college. Realized for several reasons that chain drive was not for me. Bought a CX500. Shaft. Loved it.
Later bought a Seca 750. Shaft. Loved it more.
Pretty much will only have shafties now. I'm not good with the chain maintenance and I too don't like the idea of oil dripping in my garage (the place to park things that some people have next to their homes). Having said that, the bike Idea Wife just got is a chain drive, F650GS but if there had been a right-sized shaftie, I'd have probably gone that way.
I wish they had an R800GS with a shaft or something even smaller. Anyonybody remember the Honda Ascot? 500cc shaft drive precursor to the Transalp.
No doubt it is easier to replace a chain in the wildeness and you can carry a spare much more easily.
This website is great for the fact that you'll have several thousand people who have the shafties and swear by them and you have an equal or greater number of people that say chain is the only way to go. I like a car with a diesel engine. But that's not for eveybody. I wish they made a minivan with a stick shift and a diesel. Maybe four wheel drive. Eh, not likely.
It's all a matter of personal preference. Develop your decision points and go your own way.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston12GS
Glad I don't have that concern, I would've missed my Boston-to-Florida ride, Boston-to-Oklahoma ride, Boston-to-Oregon ride, several 1,000-mile/24-hour rallies, plus other rides totalling ~30,000 miles, all on a shaft drive, all within the last two years, no shaft problems at all.

I remember the joys of chain cleaning & lubing--don't miss it a bit.
you know you are one of the lucky ones...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
it has been shown (Iron butt DNF for example) that bmw shafts drives are less reliable than a modern chain/sprocket anyday.

with DID x-ring chains you have an ultra reliable 20K drive train...and that's from people who don't do anything maintainance to the x-ring chains.
spend $150 and get another 20k miles.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston12GS
A very good bike, indeed (still miss the one I traded away)--well, except for that chain.
???
i spray my chain every 1000 or so miles with dupont teflon lube. take 5 minutes. you're talking BS!
dupont teflon lube does not attract dirt. modern o/x-ring chains do not require cleaning/relube like olden day chains. chain technology has gotten them that good. if you're doing alot of chain maintainace, then you're doing something wrong!

also the wee is proven one of the most (if not #1) dead reliable adv beast bikes on the market. can't say that about your bmw. if bmw used a japanese-reliable drive-shaft they would have an all-star product. instead they've got this funky over-enginered faulty product that the company has never admitted has a problem.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-25-2008 at 01:43 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
Leafster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Diesel 4X4 minivan for ya

[quote I wish they made a minivan with a stick shift and a diesel. Maybe four wheel drive. Eh, not likely.
[/quote]

Leafster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Leafster, I doubt they sell that in the US. You know, where real people live.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote