User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
YooperMon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
2002 KTM 640 LC4 - I need help...

I've got a line on a 2002 model that has 1400 miles, and I believe I can get it for about $4300. I think this is the "enduro" model. I will be looking at it tomorrow. It's red and black.

Now, having provided this deep insight, I will say that I know almost nothing about KTMs. Well, I know what I've occasionally read here. There is a KTM dealer in my town, which is amazing in itself. I do know they make stud offroad bikes, and I believe I'd like to give one a go. I also hear that they can be a bit more maintenance than, say, a Suzuki DR650.

I need to become sorta fluent in this bike/model/year ASAP, so that when I go look it over I can have a clue. This is short notice I know. I currently have a stock '03 DR650 that is fine, but somewhat piggish. I do like itthough. My use will be around 80% logging roads, single track, double track, and 20% pavement. I'm 5'10", 220 lbs, athletic. Do I make the switch, and what should I be aware of? Is this a good price?

Let 'er rip - any and all info is really appreciated. Thanks!
YooperMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
tr6c
n00b

Oddometer: 3
hey yooper

whos the dealer zambon or nelson ? i really can't give any info on the ktm except to say that i would like one if i could get one that was dual sport . you can't get a dual sport ktm in cali anymore so i think i will get a suzuki dr650 . ------- anyway , i just had to say hello to a fellow yooper . ------------ see you later , eh !!!
tr6c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I don't really know what to tell you. There have been a lot of threads of late comparing and contrasting the SXC/SMC duo agains the LC4E/640ADV. You might find some insight on the latter by reading those threads, but at the price your looking at, the former are out of the hunt. The price sounds about right, and unless it's been crashed, left out in salt air, etc, at those miles there really shouldn't be anything to look over.

It's is a damn capable bike right out of the box, though at your weight if you start pushing hard you might want to run some heavier springs front and rear, but that may depend as much on your preferences and riding style.

I don't think the maintenance is all that bad. The oil changes are a bit more complex, but if you follow the manual, and skim a few threads on the subject you shouldn't have a problem. The bike really does require a rejet and break in to smooth out, as they can be pretty damn rough in "new factory jetted" form. I would say my 640 ADV lost 2/3rds of it's vibes after it broke in and was rejetted. Like most thumpers you really need to keep an eye out for loose fastners, missing bolts, etc. Basically break out the wrenches and loctite, and you shouldn't have any major problems in this area. You may want to pick up a larger tank, 17tooth countershaft sprocket, and comfort seat, the list goes on, but IMHO you really don't need to do anything, even if you want to ride it like you stole it.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,148
I just bought that exact bike.
Do it, you won't regret it...

Mine has a SXC muffler, a carrier and an ADV skid plate. Itneeds bush bars and a new headlight glass and horn (the latter two after I biffed it on my first ride - replace or cover headlight is my advice).

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Test ride it. If it doesn't vibrate beyond your personal tolorance, buy it and be happy
The reason I say this is because some folks apparently buy them with no concept of how smooth a big single should be and then whine about it for days, weeks, months on end. Comming from a DR, you should have a well established vib-o-meter
Me, I have what is possibly the smoothest LC4 on the planet, and I take the oppertunity to say so every chance I get... just to piss off the vibration challenged.

Creeper
Old 04-27-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
YooperMon OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I get the feeling that the KTM in question is in some ways more like a Honda XR650L than a DR650. True? How would an XR650L compare to the KTM 640 LC4? I do have some minor experience with the Honda.

Thanks......
YooperMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperMon
I get the feeling that the KTM in question is in some ways more like a Honda XR650L than a DR650. True? How would an XR650L compare to the KTM 640 LC4? I do have some minor experience with the Honda.

Thanks......

Imagine a XR650L with the output of a XR650R AND better suspension.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
it'll spank a XR650 L out of the box.
Sounds like a good price low miles bike.
Remember though the more miles you put on it the better it'll run. to get an XR to run as strong it'd need the power up kit and a full workup on the suspension.
I'm 200 lbs nekid with gear, boots, backpack, probably 250+ and have left some pretty good air and hard hits and haven't bottomed "bad" yet.
all in all sounds like a good find. just look it over and it should be obvious if it was cared for.
I have to say the plastic on these things are the toughest out. I biffed mine good a couple times in really rocky shit and hardley a scratch. besides plastics chead anyway. $25 for side covers and about the same for a front fender.
can't say enough good things about it.
other than the draconian seat
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Talking

I have a 2002 640 LC4 which has been to Timbuktu...really...and beyond. I had an Adventure tank and side tanks on it at the time but it's now got its original pastics back and even with a few scratches, IMO it looks and runs like it's not much older than its first service, despite the huge (much off tarmac) mileage. In fact against my better judgement I now consider it an heirloom.

Cheers.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hey Dag!
I can't tell if your new avatar is art... or just plain fuckin' creepy