Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
joebocop OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Eh? KLR 650 Rotor Holder Improv

Hi all! Long time lurker here.

Ok, so here I am in Oaxaca Mexico having ridden down from Dawson City, Yukon, Canada. My bike is a 2004 KLR 650, and I did the doohickey upgrade before I left on this trip. The bike had about 6000kms on it at the time, and I"m glad I did the upgrade since the spring was in pieces when I opened er up. Yikes!

So now I"m up to about 16000kms on the bike, and it has started doing something which has me concerned.

Once it has warmed up (about 15 mninutes of riding), there is more vibration than usual around 3500rpm, and this vibration is also noticeable at cruising speed (110km/hr @ 4600rpm). When I stop and let it idle, and can hear a noise coming from the balancer assembly, which I can only describe as like an unoiled chain, or a chain running up against its guard. This sound is not present when I first start the bike up cold, or maybe less present at least.

Now, there isn"t a rotor holder tool for 1000 miles from here, so I"d like to know if anyone has ever had to improvise another way of getting the rotor off the machine without the tool or the accompanying rotor puller tool.

Anyone have any good ideas? Or any clue as to what might be ailing my balancer?

Oil level looks fine (just changed it 2000kms ago), and have adjusted the balancer chain several times since this noise started... hoping it just needed some slack taken out of it.

Alright, thanks a million for reading. All responses are very very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe McCann
joebocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Sorry, I don't know what it could be but you're never gonna know until you get that rotor off. The ONLY way I know how to do that is with the correct tools. You can however make the rotor holder out of a really big open ended spanner and the rotor remover can be made from a bolt of the correct thread pitch etc. Sorry I can't get to mine atm to check the sizes. Someone else will chime in with the dimensions I'm sure.

griffo
'87A1 (165,000kms and counting)
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,421
Did you adjust the tensioner lately?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
The tensioner is the easiest thing to do, and should be done first. If that doesn't solve the problem, the rotor removal bolt is 22 x 1.5 . Good luck !
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
joebocop OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Yeah, I"ve tried three times now to adjust the tensioner, but the problem remains, unfortunately.

When I back the tensioner bolt off am I supposed to hear the spring take up slack? I don"t actually hear anything when I adjust the tensioner.

Anyway, gonna try to get it open today.

I took it to another local mecanic yesterday and he didn"t seem to think that there was anything wrong with it at all. I dunno.... a new noise, and more vibration seems to me that SOMETHING has changed, right?

Thanks all for the help. I"ll post pics if I find anything amiss in there.

Eager to get back headed South. Look out Argentina, I"ve got your number! Hopefully.

Joe
joebocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
holycaveman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Joe

Simple to do without the holder. All you need is a hammer or mallet. And a male bolt that fits the threads

Insert the male end into the rotor. Put your wrench on it as usual. Only instead of relying on a holder. Whack the wrench a few times with a mallet. It may take several attempts, but it will work fine this way.

If you must remove it, even a 2 or 3 jawed puller will work.

Disclamer. I would never risk damaging anything, unless I had to remove it.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
You won't hear the adjuster take up slack.

I agree with HolyCaveMan about the 3 armed gear puller. I've used one before with good results.

If the Doo spring you currently have installed isn't the short one, the spring may not have any tension left in it, which wouldn't tighten the balancer chain any more.

On my way home from my CDR ride this summer I started getting a strange noise similar to what yours may be. Mine was a little bit of a growling noise too. I took the left cover off and checked things out. Never did find out what it was. Hasn't done it since. Weird.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
Joe

Simple to do without the holder. All you need is a hammer or mallet. And a male bolt that fits the threads

Insert the male end into the rotor. Put your wrench on it as usual. Only instead of relying on a holder. Whack the wrench a few times with a mallet. It may take several attempts, but it will work fine this way.

If you must remove it, even a 2 or 3 jawed puller will work.

Disclamer. I would never risk damaging anything, unless I had to remove it.
Don't forget to grease the threads and the end of the bolt. Also once it is tight in the hole hit is hard on the head a few times. then retighten it. It should eventually pop off. as hcm says only do it if you really have to.

g
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote