Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #61
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,637
Twilight Zone! One in a Million!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD Dreamer

So we packed up and got ready to hit the road for Coco"s corner.

Heading to Coco's Corner

Its still really hot. Taking a break.

Coco's Corner

Wind is still howling

There was no one around at Coco's corner. It was kinda sad after reading so much about the place and the man.

Finally we got to Guerrero Negro and a bank machine. Our cash shortage was over and gasoline seemed to be readily available again. We found a decent hotel. Hotel San Ignacio in GN for 330 pesos. They let us park the bike in the courtyard right in front of the room.

Now this is like the Twilight Zone.............................Ok i can see the same pictures of your bike in the same spots on the same roads in those obligatory spots i.e. Coco's but the same hotel and the same room #15! Thats pretty rare!

Nice report and congrats on the new bike!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #62
Holaday OP
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Oct.15

Hey Hotmamaandme I actually had a low speed tip over at about the same spot but no pic of it.

We started the morning the way we always did with our home brewed espresso. One of the local stray dogs came by, she had been by the day before and we would have liked to take her home. We asked Ken about her and he told us that another guest was considering taking her. When I came through on my way home she was still there. I really feel sorry for these dogs so many of them seem to be craving human attention.

After coffee we rode the KTM along the river and up to the mission

Mission Santa Rosalia de Mulege

The mission sits up on a bluff overlooking Mulege. Looking down from the mission.

After breakfast at Hotel Las Casitas we headed south for Loreto.

HWY 1 north of Loreto

Great beach campsites along the way.

We stopped at a beach similar to this one and had a swim and hung out for a while. Arrived in Loreto around 3pm. There was a cruise ship in port so lots of tourists milling about. We got a hotel room at Hotel Junipero for 400 pesos. The bike parking didn't look all that good till I strolled around back and found a locked gate that entered the patio at the back of the hotel. In broken spanish we asked if they could unlock the gate so that I could park back there. No problemo the girl replied.

They couldn't find the key.

No problemo

The bike is right below our room.

Our hotel room looked right out on the town square. Since there was a cruise ship in town there was lots going on in the square and a market set up on the tree lined street that runs from the square.

We had excellent fish tacos at a restuarant on the tree lined street. 4 beers guacamole and chips and 2 orders of fish tacos for 300 pesos. You can eat for a lot less in Mexico but this was a really nice sit down restuarant.

View of the mission from our hotel room.

Mission at night. There was some kind of antique car rally going on.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #63
Dude69
Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer: 949
IBA #32752
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #64
Bajarider2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Hotel Junipero. I've stayed there before. Did you notice a lot of chicas "living" there?
Bajarider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #65
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Nice RR, keep it coming.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #66
Holaday OP
Man of Leisure

Ya

There was a couple of chicas just a couple of doors down. I thought they were in town visiting their boy friends who were posted at the naval base. Were they working girls perhaps?

Baja

Kootenays

Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #67
Holaday OP
Man of Leisure

Oct. 16

Ten days to go from Palm Springs to Cabo seemed like a reasonable amount of time. We found that it wasn't. Everyday we had to keep moving south and leave places where wanted to hang out.

The road south of Loreto is awesome riding. You go along the Sea of Cortez for a while and then its a twisty climb up into the mountains.

While getting gas in Loreto we saw a group of about 10 Harley riders with a sag wagon towing a trailer with a Honda style cruiser on it. I was surprised how few motorcyclist we saw. While heading home I saw 2 guys on matching red KLR's heading south. Then my last day I passed a guy on a heavily loaded GS Adventure heading south. We passed in traffic in some town so I never spoke with him.

We arrived in La Paz mid afternoon it was stinking hot, we were melting in our gear. We hit a market and then headed out past the ferry terminal to find some beach camping. There is a couple of nice beaches past the ferry terminal we decided on playa El Tecolote. We pitched our tent and went for a swim. We didn't buy beer in town so we strolled over to the beach front restuarant for some.

The restaurant turned out to be quite expensive 230 pesos for 4 beers and chips and guacamole. We tried to buy a six pack off them and they wanted 180 pesos for it. We decided we weren't that thirsty. Beer's cheaper than that in Canada. Back at the campsite some really friendly locals invited us to join them. They offered us all the beer we could drink and shared they're bbq with us. They had rented a ATV to give there kids rides on and insisted that we try it. I ended up giving their children rides up and down the beach.

Playa El Tecolote

The sunset from our free tent site. Tomorrow we head for Todos Santos

Baja

Kootenays

Old 11-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #68
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Thumb

Nice RR! Keep it coming!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #69
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
I'm loving the report 'dreamer I looked up Loreto & it looks like you're seeing it at the right time--they're developing a Mariott there.

Can't wait to see where this one leads, it sounds like my idea of a perfect trip!

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #70
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,627
Laugh

Beautiful KTM, don't see many of the Dakar ones. Pictures are outstanding! Thanks for taking us along.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #71
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
I hope to be doing this ride next month!

This is a great RR! It's perfect timing since it will be my first trip to Baja ever! I also recognize Susanville on a trip I took and reported here on Advrider. I'll be staying here at least one night when I take my one-month tour of the West in June. I had a real connection with Susanville. It's a sweet town.

Now, when going through the Mexican border, you didn't get that special permission sticker you put on your motorcycle? They didn't ask for papers?

I'm also curious about the gas situation.. Have you had to dip into that extra 1-gallon container? I'm getting a DR650 and riding solo, so my mileage should be pretty good and get about a 220 mile range. Any tips?

Also, I want to do as much as camping as possible. How possible would you say you could've opted for this? I rather not stay in Hotel rooms if possible unless safety can be an issue.

Lastly... Is it Loreto where the chicas are?

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #72
Holaday OP
Man of Leisure

Friday Oct 17 and Saturday Oct. 18

Motosaint to answer your questions:

No sticker permit required for your bike in Baja. They didn't ask us for papers but all our paper work was in order just in case.

Gas was a little scarce south of San Felipe while we were there. On HWY 1 there is a couple of spots where there is big distances between Pemex stations but there is gas available from guys at BoLA turn off and Catavina.

Lots of camping options you just have to be a little more organized. We just wanted to hit the easy button most nights. If we had more time we would of camped more. We were always cautious but I never felt that there was any personal safety issues.

We left La Paz for Todos Santos. Lots of road work they are widening the highway to 4 lanes. We were in TS before noon, this was our first short day of riding. Checked out TS sorry no pics of Hotel California too many Harleys out front. Turned out to be the group we saw in Loreto. One of them came over to talk to us. They were from France and had rented the Harleys in San Diego and were on a 15 day tour. Glynis shopped and I chilled. Checked into Hotel Miramar 300 pesos for a room. Hotel had a nice little pool which we took advantage of because it was stinking hot and couldn't really swim at the beach because of strong undertow.

Hotel Miramar Todos Santos

The ultimate Baja RV. Had seen this a couple of times on this trip. There is a rack on the back with a couple of dirt bikes.

Walked to the beach in about 25 minutes from our hotel. Got a lift back into town with some other French tourists.

Beaches at Todos Santos

Saturday were off to the airport to send Glynis home. We went right by Cabo weren't really interested in seeing it.

HWY 19 south of Todos Santos

Stopped at Playa Chileno between Cabo and San Jose Del Cabo and did a little snorkeling

Great snorkeling but my waterproof camera started taking on water.
Next we tried to find the old Twin Dolphins hotel I had been there 14 years earlier and really liked the place. It had a great outdoor bar that was right on the edge of the sea. It was a 5 star hotel with a lot of charm. Sadly its been torn down to make room for a even bigger hotel. So we headed to San Jose. Wow what a change barely recognized the place. Had lunch at restaurant Damiana. Damiana is right in the town square in San Jose they have a really nice garden patio and great food just the way it was 14 years earlier.

Lunch at Damiana in San Jose

After lunch it was off to the airport in stop and go saturday traffic. Turns out there is now 2 terminals at the airport and we went to the wrong one. Glynis hopped in a cab and made it just in time to catch her flight. I rode over to the terminal and said good bye as she sprinted to catch her flight.

I found the new toll highway and headed back to Todos Santos. I will miss Glynis but I'm excited because tomorrow I will be heading up the East Cape road from San Jose to Los Barrilles.

Baja

Kootenays

Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #73
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
There is a fun dirt road over the Sierra de la Laguna mountain range roughly from Santa Anita to Todos Santos. The GPS coords are in this post.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #74
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,343
Sweet RR! Cool to see other couples who like to ride together. Jennifer and I took a side trip last spring while we were on our annual trip to San Felipe. We brought her BF and her kids with us, so we had someone to watch Max. We headed for Gonzaga and spent the nite at Alfonsinas. Had a BLAST! Hopefully we can go farther next year!
Vaya con Dios!

Puertecitos was the first stop

About halfway to GB

the Pemex at GB

Unfortunatley, we heard that Coco had gone to Ensenada 2-3 days before we arrived for surgery, so we didnt go to the corners.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #75
Flying Turtle
Flying Turtle

Oddometer: 113
Great adventure, guys !!!!
Come back anytime. Baja is another world.