Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #31
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 809
Nice write up :) And very interesting. We have a spot sort of like that right here in Connecticut.... or several. They are the old Nike Missle basses. I think there were 4 of them in Connecticut. I have been to two of them. Both of them the launch sites are destroyed..... but on one you can still get into the underground complex. I just peeked down the long stairwell and it was flooded about 15 feet down and like you I founf a video on You-tube where somebody went down there...........
Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 AM   #32
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Thanks for all the comments, fellas.

Banshee, those missile bases you speak of ring a bell. I used to live in Bethel, near Danbury. I was a kid though. New England definitly has its share of weirdness.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 AM   #33
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,677
Cool & creepy....I picked one RR to read before work this morning and it was a winner, Thanks for the write-up.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #34
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 310
Great report Flux. I have had an intense facination with the entire area around there for several years now. A few years back my brother owned and operated a convenience store where Henry Grady Rd. crosses Ga. 400. It was named PaPa Owens EZ Buy.(Owen passed away 6 years back).
During the time he was still healthy and riding we would come up a dozen or more times a year and explore all the non-tourist roads in the Dawsonville area, to Blairsville and Hiawassee, Helen, etc.
I can't tell exactly which road this facility is off from. I can tell from one of the pics the two rivers run together here, so is this somewhere between Juno and Dawsonville?
Many thanks for a terrific report.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #35
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,667
Interesting research story, Flux! Looks like a good subject for a Stephen King movie. What I want to know is... are you and / or either of your bikes glowing green today? SR
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #36
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub
Cool & creepy....I picked one RR to read before work this morning and it was a winner, Thanks for the write-up.
Nice compliment, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalman
Great report Flux. I have had an intense facination with the entire area around there for several years now. A few years back my brother owned and operated a convenience store where Henry Grady Rd. crosses Ga. 400. It was named PaPa Owens EZ Buy.(Owen passed away 6 years back).
During the time he was still healthy and riding we would come up a dozen or more times a year and explore all the non-tourist roads in the Dawsonville area, to Blairsville and Hiawassee, Helen, etc.
I can't tell exactly which road this facility is off from. I can tell from one of the pics the two rivers run together here, so is this somewhere between Juno and Dawsonville?
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that intersection. There is an OLD Henry Grady Rd here but it intersects with 136, not 400? Anyway, the facility is EASY to find. 400 north to Dawson Forest Rd (just before the outlet mall), turn left, cross Hwy 9 and you are there. Dirt roads inside the forest will lead you back to Hwy 53 near the Elliot family 'complex' (you know, "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville?") This is south of 'old' Dawsonville but not by much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Interesting research story, Flux! Looks like a good subject for a Stephen King movie. What I want to know is... are you and / or either of your bikes glowing green today? SR
Nope, no green. I sold that glowin' green bike last weekend.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #37
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,283
Wow, cool report! I love abandoned military and gum'mint sites. Might have to talk you into letting me tag along sometime.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #38
stretchmark
StretchMark

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
The main 'parking area'. I wonder how many people park here, never knowing what they are walking on.
Well, at least 1.

I was Mike Crane's size before I started mountain biking and swimming in the river there 20 years ago. This explains a lot. It's funny to think of all the parking lot stories I've heard over the years attempting to explain some of the strangeness up there. Really interesting report Flux and good to know some of the facts
stretchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #39
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Great RR! I would love to explore the underground structure...

The aircraft test platform was a converted B-36:

But as you mentioned, it was never actually flown under nuclear power.

And speaking of old missile bases/abandoned government installations, check out the threads linked in my sig for my ride reports about a couple of Atlas-F nuclear missile silos around the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base, as well as an abandoned NORAD radar base in northern New England.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #40
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,865
Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #41
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalman

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that intersection. There is an OLD Henry Grady Rd here but it intersects with 136, not 400? Anyway, the facility is EASY to find. 400 north to Dawson Forest Rd (just before the outlet mall), turn left, cross Hwy 9 and you are there. Dirt roads inside the forest will lead you back to Hwy 53 near the Elliot family 'complex' (you know, "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville?") This is south of 'old' Dawsonville but not by much.

Yeah, Henry Grady intersection on 400 is about a mile or so north of where 136 crosses 400. Henry Grady runs from 400 to 136. At least that's how the county map shows it. Anyway thanks for a great report. We will have to make the trek up to check it out.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #42
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 960
You are riden lots

Flux, seems your riden lots lately nice report and interesting subject. Did you get radiation testiclated upon return! Do you now glow in the dark-that place is scary-don't take me there on my return visit-someday-I expect a tellico report
Monte
Old 11-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #43
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
So what ya trying to say?

Nice report Flux. You've been hanging out with David to much. I like it though. Now get that silly wind screen off that SXC, before you bust your face. If you ride it the way it was built to be ridden you are going to break your nose, or poke an eye out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmark
Well, at least 1.

I was Mike Crane's size before I started mountain biking and swimming in the river there 20 years ago. This explains a lot. It's funny to think of all the parking lot stories I've heard over the years attempting to explain some of the strangeness up there. Really interesting report Flux and good to know some of the facts
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #44
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Cool Report! Very interesting.
Adam
SirWrecksAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #45
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
been there once riding my DS bike. it was cool. now i have to go back and see what's all this about.
Now that I think about it, we did see a small structure off of the main road. we could't figure out what it was.
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote