Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #46
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
Wow, cool report! I love abandoned military and gum'mint sites. Might have to talk you into letting me tag along sometime.
Any time, Stretch, you are welcome. All it'll cost ya is one Stretchatech Tiger bash plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmark
Well, at least 1.

I was Mike Crane's size before I started mountain biking and swimming in the river there 20 years ago. This explains a lot. It's funny to think of all the parking lot stories I've heard over the years attempting to explain some of the strangeness up there. Really interesting report Flux and good to know some of the facts
Damn, Mark, I thought the water would stunt your growth, not rapidly increase it!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #47
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Great RR! I would love to explore the underground structure...

The aircraft test platform was a converted B-36:

But as you mentioned, it was never actually flown under nuclear power.

And speaking of old missile bases/abandoned government installations, check out the threads linked in my sig for my ride reports about a couple of Atlas-F nuclear missile silos around the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base, as well as an abandoned NORAD radar base in northern New England.

--mark

Check out this article I came across last night. You should find it interesting. http://www.learnworld.com/ZNW/LWText....html#chapter4 By the way, thanks for pointing out your ride reports. I'll have to spend some time perusing them. Funny thing is, in your first report, the 2nd post references this place. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...04&postcount=2 Small damn world, eh? Nice pics you got from the radar station.

Rascalman, you are right. Matter of fact, I went through that intersection today, just never knew the name of the road! It is still called EZ Buy although I have never been in there. Now, I'm gonna have to. Look me up next time you're around.

Montek, it always circles back to testicles with you, don't it? Keep your pig de-nutting implements away from me, please, nothing is glowing that you need to be aware of!!!

Crane, yeah, that windscreen has already come off. It had a short lived career. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with all these rally fairing projects going on. People have too much money.

Adam, thanks for the compliment.

Eddie98, there are several smaller structures strewn about in the forest. What I pictured mostly was the biggest most noticeable one. Sometime when it's not hunting season I will have to go explore some more, but too many people are out there right now. I think there is a whole 'nother area I missed somehow but not sure.

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 11-12-2008 at 01:34 PM
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #48
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Earlier I mentioned the 2 bridges that were exploded upon decommission. I came across a pic of Bridge #1 on the internet and here it is. I wish I could use all my own pics but this one was unobtainable during hunting season. Just wanted everyone to get an idea of what was included.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #49
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,481
gay report!!

just kidding,
i was i there at bridge #1 when the hunt was on for merridth emerson, i stopped the bike and got off and sat at the bridge and heard
SIR DO NOT MOVE AND LET THE DOG SNIFF YOU AND ALL WILL BE ALRIGHT!!!
i complied and a dawson county officer came up out of the river bed with a police dog and said that they had reports of that wacko being in the area the day before and they were looking for her body!!! it was kinda nerve racking!! thaen a week or so later the annnounced wacko guy had showed them her body in that same area!!!

cool report dude!!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #50
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates

i was i there at bridge #1 when the hunt was on for merridth emerson, i stopped the bike and got off and sat at the bridge and heard
i complied and a dawson county officer came up out of the river bed with a police dog and said that they had reports of that wacko being in the area the day before and they were looking for her body!!! it was kinda nerve racking!! thaen a week or so later the annnounced wacko guy had showed them her body in that same area!!!

cool report dude!!!

I remember you telling me that. That shit sends shivers up my back, just thinking about that whole situation. I remember riding around Duncan Ridge that same week and coming across all the search teams. That whole thing ended so badly.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #51
RDJEff
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee8989
Nice write up :) And very interesting. We have a spot sort of like that right here in Connecticut.... or several. They are the old Nike Missle basses. I think there were 4 of them in Connecticut. I have been to two of them. Both of them the launch sites are destroyed..... but on one you can still get into the underground complex. I just peeked down the long stairwell and it was flooded about 15 feet down and like you I founf a video on You-tube where somebody went down there...........
I live about a mile from Nike Site "Love". It was demolished about 15 years ago, but I was one of the last people to tour it. Its amazing how much money the government spent on stuff like this. The missiles were nukes that they would aim at a formation of Soviet bombers, and you know the saying, "close only count in horseshoes, hand grenades, and H-bombs"! They were kept in buildings with really thick concrete walls and roofs, and when I was there, there were thousands of bullet holes in the concrete walls and the steel roof beams! Folks had already carted away anything that they could get their hands on, including the webbing from the roof beams, everything built of lumber, even the fences!
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #52
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,293
Cool report! Fascinating stuff.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #53
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
gay report!!

just kidding,

cool report dude!!!

Are you sure the dog was sniffing you. The way flux tells it, the dog was hunching you and the officer told you to be still and let him finish and everything would be ok. So, which one is it? Did the dog sniff you or did it hunch you?
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #54
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
AWESOME report Mark

Man, that is sooooooooo cool! Just friggin' fascinating!

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #55
dirty-diesel
"Spiffy comment here"

Oddometer: 154
more info here about the NB-36
http://www.aviation-history.com/arti...e-american.htm
dirty-diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #56
sandmar
llama llama..rabbit

Oddometer: 3,309
Nice read flux,thanks for taking us along on your ride
sandmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #57
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,736
Very cool report Flux!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #58
retired335
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Flux,
I have explored around the WMA a little bit. My dad was the Game Warden in Dawson county from 1966-1969 and had been inside some of the facility when it was in operation. Did you find the water tank/tower location off of water tower road? If you are interested go to the Gainesville liabrary and look up the Gainesville Times from the summer of 1991. There is a artical and pictures of the reactor in operation. I have also found an old radio tower location and another area that is supposed to still be "hot"... PM me if you want to go exploring sometime.

Retired335
retired335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #59
HPIguy
Motard Retard

Oddometer: 70
Awesome ride report and pics, and the story behind the place is interesting. Places like that have always fascinated me.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #60
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Great RR, I wonder if this place had anything to do with SRS.