Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #76
Gearhead_42
One arm, three jugs

Oddometer: 35
If you enjoy these types of abandoned installations, you need to check out 28dayslater.co.uk

You may need to register to see the good stuff, but it is sooo worth it!

Gearhead_42 screwed with this post 11-20-2008 at 03:23 PM Reason: Dammit
Gearhead_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #77
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,594
Glad everyone enjoyed the report. Thanks for the leads on some extra research material. Retired, i will look for that newpaper article when I get a chance, thanks for the tip.

If anyone ever wants to head out there, hit me up, I am 10 minutes away and can show you some good riding besides.

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #78
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,869
Slightly OT, but related... This report got to me to thinking back to the things I remember growing up in Macon. Back in the 60s and earlier, a good many people were employed in a naval ordnance plant, commonly referred to locally as "the fuse plant". There were a few long time employees, including some that shopped the grocery store I started my working career in, whose flesh and even hair were turned a yellowish orange. People (as in parents and folks their age) just shrugged it off as, "Oh, they work at the fuse plant. It's the chemicals they work with." I think I have since read where it was probably fulminate of mercury or something like that. It's amazing what people back then just shrugged off as normal happenings.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 AM   #79
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Slightly OT, but related... This report got to me to thinking back to the things I remember growing up in Macon. Back in the 60s and earlier, a good many people were employed in a naval ordnance plant, commonly referred to locally as "the fuse plant". There were a few long time employees, including some that shopped the grocery store I started my working career in, whose flesh and even hair were turned a yellowish orange. People (as in parents and folks their age) just shrugged it off as, "Oh, they work at the fuse plant. It's the chemicals they work with." I think I have since read where it was probably fulminate of mercury or something like that. It's amazing what people back then just shrugged off as normal happenings.

Dude, it's amazing NOW what people shrug off as normal happenings.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #80
mark1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Dude, it's amazing NOW what people shrug off as normal happenings.
Quite true. Quite true.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #81
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_42
If you enjoy these types of abandoned installations, you need to check out 28dayslater.co.uk

You may need to register to see the good stuff, but it is sooo worth it!
Great link! Tons of very cool pics ect. Thanks.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #82
RenoDeano
High Desert Drifter

Oddometer: 99
Georgia Reactor Ride Report

Here is some information from some fellow Physicists on what one found on a job interview visit to the site and another ones experience with the nuclear powered aircraft project. Reno Deano

Georgia reactor facility history:

Charles says: I recall the facility. We at General Dynamics (Ft. Worth) were working on the Nuclear Airplane in the very early 50’s. I worked in the program 17 years. I was a reactor operator on all three reactors. The GTR (Ground Test Reactor), ASTR (Aerospace Test Reactor), and the RTA (Reactivity Test Reactor). All were unique and used for different test. The ASTR flew in the bay of a B-36 and operated in flight. It did not provide any power for the airplane. The Georgia facility I think was operated by Martin Marietta (sp). The writer said GA, I do not think that General Atomics had that facility.

It did not operate very long. Some of our engineers jumped ship to work at that facility. At the Georgia site, the reactor was placed into position and the material to be tested rode by on small flat bed trains. Killed lots of trees.

Roy says:I do know a Little of the history of the site.

A friend of mine, and fellow HP at the Savannah River Plant went up there for an interview. He did not get the job, because they would not guarantee his wife a job also. They offered a lot of money. Then another friend of mine got the job, but failed the physical. He recommended me for the job.

I was not really wanting to change jobs, but they had offered the first guy a lot of money. He was the Day HP at B reactor at SRP, I was the Day HP at C reactor. Every month I had to help him with his monthly report. Help? I did all the calculations for him…because he could not add or multiply numbers that had exponents. Anyway, I went up there, but got lost in the woods and was late arriving.

Sure enough, the reactor was something. The reactor wasn't a prototype for propulsion, but to study radiation effects on materials and industrial/electrical components for operating systems. The railroad system could position freight cars at (as I remember) 8 positions abound the reactor. They did elevate the reactor out of the pool to irradiate dozens of freight cars with electrical operating systems actually operating. They could then move systems to the Hot Cells for study and testing.

During operations, everyone went into the shelter, to stay there during the entire time the reactor was operating. The staff had a lot of spare time awaiting decay time, before they could leave, so they had a lot of recreational equipment in the bunker. They had ping pong tables, an indoor archery range, bowling alley (I think) and much more. They also had an outdoor archery range. One exit from the shelter was on the other side of a hill and could be used while the reactor was operating, but they didn't use it. They said, it was for Emergency use only.

Now, to the good part. When I was there, they had only operated a total of less than two weeks. The nearby pine trees were dead. They said some blight had affected them, and that Emory University was investigating. I asked, if they called it the "Line of sight blight?" and got an embarrassed "yes". Crab grass was not bothered. Insects were fine. Birds were gone. Field mice were still there.

The bad part was the fuel. They would not discuss the cladding. There was no containment and a draw nearby that led to a creek, that led to the river, that led right to Atlanta, of Deloniga.

They made me an offer just before I told them, that If it were up to me I would shut them down. The fact that they offered me less than they did the guy whose monthly report I had just finished didn't have too much to do with it. It just looked too marginal.

It was closed down because someone ruled that the information that they could collect was not worth the risks of the reactor. I had just finished some distribution calculations on the release of activity from our reactors, and that clouded my judgement a bit. With all of the distance, and the small size of the reactor, the actual risks to Atlanta were probably not that great. They just could had a better design for containment. The guy that interviewed me Joe something or other, gave a talk at the HPS meeting a few years later, after it had been shut down.

At any rate, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Roy

RenoDeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #83
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Thanks for the story! Cool read... For those of us using black backgrounds....

Georgia reactor facility history:

Charles says: I recall the facility. We at General Dynamics (Ft. Worth) were working on the Nuclear Airplane in the very early 50’s. I worked in the program 17 years. I was a reactor operator on all three reactors. The GTR (Ground Test Reactor), ASTR (Aerospace Test Reactor), and the RTA (Reactivity Test Reactor). All were unique and used for different test. The ASTR flew in the bay of a B-36 and operated in flight. It did not provide any power for the airplane. The Georgia facility I think was operated by Martin Marietta (sp). The writer said GA, I do not think that General Atomics had that facility.

It did not operate very long. Some of our engineers jumped ship to work at that facility. At the Georgia site, the reactor was placed into position and the material to be tested rode by on small flat bed trains. Killed lots of trees.

Roy says:I do know a Little of the history of the site.

A friend of mine, and fellow HP at the Savannah River Plant went up there for an interview. He did not get the job, because they would not guarantee his wife a job also. They offered a lot of money. Then another friend of mine got the job, but failed the physical. He recommended me for the job.

I was not really wanting to change jobs, but they had offered the first guy a lot of money. He was the Day HP at B reactor at SRP, I was the Day HP at C reactor. Every month I had to help him with his monthly report. Help? I did all the calculations for him…because he could not add or multiply numbers that had exponents. Anyway, I went up there, but got lost in the woods and was late arriving.

Sure enough, the reactor was something. The reactor wasn't a prototype for propulsion, but to study radiation effects on materials and industrial/electrical components for operating systems. The railroad system could position freight cars at (as I remember) 8 positions abound the reactor. They did elevate the reactor out of the pool to irradiate dozens of freight cars with electrical operating systems actually operating. They could then move systems to the Hot Cells for study and testing.

During operations, everyone went into the shelter, to stay there during the entire time the reactor was operating. The staff had a lot of spare time awaiting decay time, before they could leave, so they had a lot of recreational equipment in the bunker. They had ping pong tables, an indoor archery range, bowling alley (I think) and much more. They also had an outdoor archery range. One exit from the shelter was on the other side of a hill and could be used while the reactor was operating, but they didn't use it. They said, it was for Emergency use only.

Now, to the good part. When I was there, they had only operated a total of less than two weeks. The nearby pine trees were dead. They said some blight had affected them, and that Emory University was investigating. I asked, if they called it the "Line of sight blight?" and got an embarrassed "yes". Crab grass was not bothered. Insects were fine. Birds were gone. Field mice were still there.

The bad part was the fuel. They would not discuss the cladding. There was no containment and a draw nearby that led to a creek, that led to the river, that led right to Atlanta, of Deloniga.

They made me an offer just before I told them, that If it were up to me I would shut them down. The fact that they offered me less than they did the guy whose monthly report I had just finished didn't have too much to do with it. It just looked too marginal.

It was closed down because someone ruled that the information that they could collect was not worth the risks of the reactor. I had just finished some distribution calculations on the release of activity from our reactors, and that clouded my judgement a bit. With all of the distance, and the small size of the reactor, the actual risks to Atlanta were probably not that great. They just could had a better design for containment. The guy that interviewed me Joe something or other, gave a talk at the HPS meeting a few years later, after it had been shut down.

At any rate, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Roy
Old 11-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #84
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,626
Thanks, Flux. My eyes were starting to bleed.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #85
mark1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
Thanks, Flux. My eyes were starting to bleed.
Just a quick tip I picked up from someone else - if someone uses the dreaded black font and your background isn't friendly towards it, just highlight the whole thing while you read it. Makes mine (default settings) go to blue background with white font.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #86
tennisman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Eh?

And for Flux's next field trip:

http://www.graveaddiction.com/corpsem.html

Omigosh, Venturer and I went there about a year ago; it will give you a serious case o' the creeps. And of course, after we've walked around the place, I go back to start my bike and she's deader'n a doornail... nothin'. And a minute later it starts up fine.

Anywho, there's more to this story, but it sounds too far-fetched to relay here

Lance
tennisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #87
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Just a quick tip I picked up from someone else - if someone uses the dreaded black font and your background isn't friendly towards it, just highlight the whole thing while you read it. Makes mine (default settings) go to blue background with white font.
Or click 'Quote'.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #88
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Glad everyone enjoyed the report. Thanks for the leads on some extra research material. Retired, i will look for that newpaper article when I get a chance, thanks for the tip.

If anyone ever wants to head out there, hit me up, I am 10 minutes away and can show you some good riding besides.

Live about ten minutes from there myself and I've been exploring around there for about 10 years or so in 4X4s and now on the bike. There used to be a pretty good little Jeep trail we used to go down that lead to the river. Basically,,, turn off on Shoal Creek Rd just before entering the WMA, cross the river and keep going till you "T" into the old paved road and turn left. Go till the paved road turns into gravel again and the road is on the right a few minutes from the last paved part. The little Jeep trail was on the left about a 1/4 from there. The little trail went for maybe a mile of so and at times it was pretty rough, least for a Jeep. The trail eventually ended at the river.

Across the river the trail was really niced up {lots of maintained gravel} and alot of "Posted" signs were posted,,, the sorta signs that make you think twice about continuing. The river crossing there was quite a bit deeper than the Shoal Creek Rd Crossing {deep enough to push a lifted Samurai about 25 yards down river before the Sammy got enough water in it to sink down far enough to gain traction}. Anywho,,,, they have now closed off not only that little pig trail but also the road. Do you know the area I'm talking about?

You can ummmmmm,,, you know,,, for discussional purposes only,,,,, get around the first barricade/gate with a bike and go down that road but the little trail that peels off to the left is barricaded pretty well with a pretty large dirt berm and pushed down trees.

As a side note,,,, has anyone ever been to the Copper Mines and actually went into the old part of the mine where the back part was flooded? Cool stuff but regrettably private owners have pretty much shut the place down.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #89
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Flux I had no idea. Cool!

Ohenry
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #90
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
Flux I had no idea. Cool!

Ohenry
Thanks for the bump, this was a great read. It just so happened that I was reading about both the Soviet and the US nuclear bomber projects earlier today.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote