User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
jatleson OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
purchasing motorcycle without title

I'm in the market for a winter project and came across what I was looking for, but the seller does not have the title or keys. This is a road bike, so if I want to ride it, need to the title to registar. What should I be asking (doing) to make sure this is not a stolen vehicle and is anyone aware of the process to get the title in Illinois?
jatleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,264
Why not give the IL DMV a call and ask?

I'd sure want to know before I bought the bike.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatleson
I'm in the market for a winter project and came across what I was looking for, but the seller does not have the title or keys. This is a road bike, so if I want to ride it, need to the title to registar. What should I be asking (doing) to make sure this is not a stolen vehicle and is anyone aware of the process to get the title in Illinois?
Get an officer to check the VIN for stolen and leins before you buy it.

Go to DMV, courthouse etc and get for title application.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,147
If the person you are buying it from is the registerd owner, then it is a piece of cake. Just go and get an "Application for lost title" and have him fill it out. It will cost an extra $65 or so, in addition to the regular screw-the-taxpayer fees. Now, if you live in a smaller city you can try the DMV (most are closed on Mondays, go figure) but many places the DMV has a long line and you can't just go somewhere and pick up a form, you need to wait in line too with all the people taking tests and stuff. So my suggestion is to call a currency exchange or bank to get the application, many but not all will have them. A dealership may have them too.

Do that, and get a bill of sale (I'd get it notarized and photocopied with the persons drivers license on the same sheet of paper.) As mentioned, get the VIN and call your local PD. Tell them you are considering buying the bike and ask them to run the VIN, also if the bike has an old plate on it have them run that number too. They may be busy, in which case give them your phone number and let them know they can call you back when convenient.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,294
In Texas the DOT in Austin can run the VIN.
I had the same deal come up and it turned out there was a Mechanics Lean on the bike. There is a procedure to go through to get the lean info IF - you are the original owner. Since the guy I was buying from was not the original owner I just dropped it there.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
No title no deal

Do not buy it without a title, i am a dealer and have owned thousands of vehicles, it cannot be a good enough deal to buy without the title......
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
depends on several things.

if the seler is the registered owner, then it's simple... apply for a lost title. the DMV may even be abe to handle the transfer at the same time... but you'll have to ask.

if it was last registered in whatever state you're currently in, then it may be in the DMV computers.

if it was last registered in another state... then it's a little harder. agaih... depends onthe state.

sometimes, with a bill of sale, and insurance on the bike, and a power of attorney form, a title company can do all the legwork, get it registered and send you the plate, registration and title. all for a modest fee depending on the age and displacement.

if none of that works... you have a parts bike. ajdust your offer accordingly.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." – Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." – Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
A lot depends on local laws. I've bought and sold a lot of bikes over the years, and even procured titles from abandoned bikes through a mechanics lein.

The year of the bike is very important. If it's old enough, (around here that means pre-1985) you don't need a title to register and tag it anyway, so it's a pretty easy procedure to put an old bike on the road.

I've also gone through the procedure to get a title for older bikes without them, and that's not really that hard either, although it'll take a little time, some phone calls, some money, (less than $100 around here) and a trip to the DMV. If you live in a small town, the DMV is generally a lot faster and more helpful.

If it's a common bike that's selling for a typical price, I wouldn't bother with it. But if it's something you really want and the price is right, I wouldn't let the lack of title stop you.

Az
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,024
The title is the current owner's problem. Don't make it yours.

Offer to cover his expenses for getting a replacement title if you really have a boner for this bike. Hell, drive him to the DMV and buy him a Happy Meal for lunch. But do NOT buy the bike without a title, whatever you do.

In some states, you don't need a title for older bikes, but that shit don't fly in the midwest.

Also, check the Illinois DMV web site and download and use their Bill of Sale form. It makes things a LOT easier. Fill out two copies. A hand written bill of sale is technically legal, but will be rejected if it does not contain every detail the DMV considers essential. And that varies depending on the mood of the DMV employee, the phase of the moon, and the barometric pressure.

If you're bringing the bike to another state, you'll need to arrange an inspection. It's easiest to leave it on a trailer or in a truck and take it over to the DMV branch with you -- a cop can also do an inspection, but it's not their #1 priority.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatleson
If the seller had or knows the previous owner had a title, a new one could be generated and signed off... if, of course, the actual owner can be located.

I bought a bike without a title in Ohio, where I live. It came from a bike shop where the owner never picked it up. The shop owner would help me get a mechanic's lien to gain ownership and sign it over to me, but not monitarily or with any time. We listed $300 or so in storage charges, which was more than the bike was worth to the owner, otherwise he'd have fixed it. I got the forms, sent out the appropriate letter to the last known address, even tried to find the guy. After the appropriate waiting period, I filled out the forms, had the shop owner sign all the stuff, and set it with the fee to the appropriate state BMV department. I paid the shop owner $50 for his trouble, $25 for the new title work, transfer fees to get the title in my name with some tax too. A bit of hassle, but if it can be done it's worth it to have a clean title.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
p_s
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
In Illinois it's pretty hard to get a title through the DMV. The one time I tried (with an appraisal from a licensed motorcycle dealer) they told me in no uncertain terms that they'd need a judge to order them to issue a title. (Then the PO found the PPO's email address and I got him to apply for a lost title & it worked out.)

There's always ITS or Broadway Title if the bike is old enough.
p_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,529
you can always try these guys

http://www.its-titles.com/

$85 if it's older than 1974
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
you can always try these guys

http://www.its-titles.com/

$85 if it's older than 1974
I'm wondering if the State of California accepts these titles...

If they do, it would make my parts-bike frame useable! Has anybody here used these folks?

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
I'm wondering if the State of California accepts these titles...

If they do, it would make my parts-bike frame useable! Has anybody here used these folks?
Let me give you a hypothetical. A bike has been sitting for over a decade. No paper. A bill of sale is generated. The bike is taken to the CA DMV for V.I.N verification. They won't verify it because the fairing, gas tank and seat aren't on it. So, you come back a week later with the missing parts reinstalled. I'll let you know what happens Monday night. My thoughts while going through this hypothetical process are that it may not be that hard to do in CA. You can make an appointment with the CHP to verify a V.I.N. on an incomplete vehicle. I have thought about the ITS solution but they require you to insure the vehicle and I don't want to deal with that yet.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,944
Make sure, if you're going to use ITS-Titles, that it is ok with your states DMV. My state (confusion & Iowa), said that those titles weren't accepted.

You have to get a bonded certificate of title.

I would only do this if, A: You know the bikes not stolen. B: You have some time to kill. C: You're a masochist who likes dealing with DMV people on a complicated process, that they won't explain to you.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote