Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #166
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki
I have had my 800GS for two weeks now, and all I can say is WOW!!!
I loved my 650GS, but this one leaves me speachless. I spent the weekend touring the North Carolina mountians via fireroads backroads and offroad. Now onto the windscreen. This time of year there are lots of bugs in the air and for those who say windscreens have no place on the 800 should have seen my face shield! I stoped and cleaned it several times saturday, I understand the tall windscreen gets in the way off road, but I have a 100 mile round trip to get to these fabulous areas. As I have mentioned in previous post i had a wunderlich tall screen on my 650 and loved it.
I was able to ride with my face shield open with only the occaisional bug getting by. My Cee Bailey Tall 18" x 14" Euro arrived today. It installed with ease and looks great. Now for the test ride. On a back road with the Grass Bugs in the air they proceeded to cover the center of my face shield, as I headed for the interstate and got up to speed the air buffeting around my helmet was deafening. I'm 5' 10" with a Scorpion EXO 400 I was hoping for first times the charm, guess its back to the drawing board. Any helpful sugestions?
I'd recommend a California Scientific (CalSci) Large for your height. What is your inseam? The CalSci website has a sizing chart that works.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #167
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
Anyone try this one?

I'd like to hear from someone that has tried this one.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #168
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
I'd like to hear from someone that has tried this one.
Me too.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #169
Kabuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Me too
hey griz 30" I'll look at Calsi
I really want to here more on the wunderlich, afer having a cee bailey on my 650 and then changing to the wunderlich which was great its hard for me to believe wunderlich has failed on the 800. As someone stated earlier
on this thread, I thought the screen above with the deflector would be even worse offroad as you would have to look through both pieces.Any thoughts?
Kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #170
Kabuki
Adventurer

Hey Lurkerlance & JRwooden
You guys should have your wind screens by now, how are they working?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #171
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,195
Don't have one here...........

I don't have mine yet... I had ordered the "base" unit without the extra spoiler add-on, and apparently MRA has put that one on the back burner ....

Jim
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #172
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 313
As I have one on order from Twisted Throttle, I talked to one of their guys yesterday. Apparently they still have yet to receive them from MRA.

I'm anticipating mine as well, but being 6'7", I'm not sure it's going to work as well as the R1100GS Vario Screen worked. We shall see.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #173
rdtele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'll share my experience with my 800.

Used the stock screen for a couple hundred miles, then used a Metal Mule screen I got from BestRest for about 1000 miles.

I live in the city, so I'll generally do some miles on the 3-5 lane stuff to get to more remote areas to make the most out of an afternoon of riding.

The Metal Mule did a pretty good job, but I felt like I was getting kicked around more than I needed to be. Don't know if it was coming in over the top or around the somewhat narrow sides, but it usually manifested in a fair amount of buffeting square in the middle of my chest and upper arms. Really had to focus or tuck in going around or between trucks/SUVs stirring up a lot of dirty air.

I just got a Wunderlich 'Tall Ergo Screen'. The included B&W instructions were a little lacking. All the mounting hardware is replaced, and two black metal braces are included for extra support. The website has a color pdf version that you can zoom in and get a better idea of how things go together.

Anyway, I did a little test tonight. About 20 miles out and 20 back on the interstate. First thing I noticed at 55 was I could hear the bike! Guess I got used to just hearing wind noise. Between 65-80 feels much more stable in clean and dirty air. Feels like the wind is just licking the top of my helmet now. Still plenty of breeze coming through the jacket to keep cool (already getting warm here), but I didn't have the Chinese Water Torture thump, thump, thump distraction of buffeting.

The Wunderlich may not be THE answer, but I think it's a solid choice.

I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. Helmet is a Aria Profile. Bike has the low seat and 1200GS handguards. The windscreen has enough clearance for the handguards.
rdtele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #174
Kabuki
Adventurer

Cee Bailey

All is not lost,
Joe the general manager of Cee Bailey Plastics returned my email this afternoon and offered a unadvertised 22" euro or they would be happy to make me a custom 20" euro. Of course the custom is not returnable, but If they are willing to try I should give them a shot. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #175
Kabuki
Adventurer

Hey rdtele thanks for the info keep us posted.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #176
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys!

Fitting instructions for the Wunderlich are here:

http://www.wunderlich.de/images/Anle...df/8110229.pdf

I'm a bit confused as all I've ever ridden before are naked dirt bikes.

At 6' tall I think that if I get a seat I like on the F658 that the stock "bikini" screen will put my head just above the top of the "turbulent zone" ... so quiet, but of course not as much protection .........

If I want full protection AND quiet it looks like I'll have to get something that is 19" + tall... from what I can see............

jim
Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #177
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
It's not the height alone. The shape and angle of the screen are just as important.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #178
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Harry:

I'm with you on that... I really meant that height seems to be a "first" order variable ...

Jim
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #179
The Griz
North Forest Rider

The CalSci F800GS windscreens are wind tunnel tested. The design and angles and such are solid. The only thing left to consider is height. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. They told me to go with a Large. It works great. Height is very important. Without the proper height you wont be out of the wind!
Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #180
Kabuki
Adventurer

Hey Guys
After one more test ride with the Cee Bailey tall euro i,ve changed my mind
I believe that it would take the custom tall 22" to deflect enough air to stop the buffeting, I'm going to try the Wunderlich even though ti is only .3" taller I believe the more vertical angle of Wunderlich might be enough
to make the difference. I do believe that due to the angle of Cee Bailey
any taller than the 18" euro starts to get into the riders space.
The my Wunderlich should be in this comming week, I'll let you guys know.