User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #211
Certifiednutter
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cheap protection

I looked all over for a screen, some were totally goofy, some were outrageously expensive and a few were both. I was reluctant to shell out a lot of money for something that might not work for me so finally I concocted this little rig. Its an 18" by 18" handlebar mounted Spitfire. I find it keeps all the wind away from the helmet and puts me in a nice quiet space. I can even open my visor in the rain if I'm doing more than 80 Klicks. The total cost was $80 from AllBikes in Richmond and it takes only 5 minutes to remove. I had to put a stabilizing strap in the middle to stop flutter.http://picasaweb.google.ca/Higginbot...57512788058002
http://picasaweb.google.ca/Higginbot...57512788058002
Certifiednutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #212
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certifiednutter
I looked all over for a screen, some were totally goofy, some were outrageously expensive and a few were both. I was reluctant to shell out a lot of money for something that might not work for me so finally I concocted this little rig. Its an 18" by 18" handlebar mounted Spitfire. I find it keeps all the wind away from the helmet and puts me in a nice quiet space. I can even open my visor in the rain if I'm doing more than 80 Klicks. The total cost was $80 from AllBikes in Richmond and it takes only 5 minutes to remove. I had to put a stabilizing strap in the middle to stop flutter.http://picasaweb.google.ca/Higginbot...57512788058002
That's really pretty interesting... with 5 min. swap-out you can use the stocker around town and just slap the big boy on for road trips. The effect of the two screens kinda imitates the AeroFlow ....

Thanks,
Jim

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-17-2009 at 12:51 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #213
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Gotta say that is one fugly setup. But if it works for you that's what matters
Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #214
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Interesting idea. I'll have to look into it. Nice that it's convertible and easy to remove once you're back in the city.
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #215
Ozgasman
Good time Charlie

Oddometer: 26
Eagle screen in Perth Australia make a great screen for this bike.Note it fits with the BM Hand protectors,also works with TT handlebar risers
Attached Images

Ozgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #216
Ozgasman
Good time Charlie

Oddometer: 26
Eagle Screen again.
Attached Images

Ozgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #217
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 541
Laminar Lip?

Anyone here happen to have tried a Laminar Lip with a TT screen. Purchased the TT thinking 14 inches would be perfect but nooooo! It appears I need a few more inches.

Cheers...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #218
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,312
Handlebar mounted wind screens are a no-no for me, I would rather do the steering than a gust of wind.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #219
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
I've tried several screens and have come to the conclusion that if you want a really functional one, it's going to be huge (and ugly). sorry folks but those big ones look like crap in my opinion. but that's just my opinion, not gospel by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the big ones don't suit the look and lines of the 650/800.

Although I haven't heard any comments yet about the new fancy schmancy one from Touratech.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #220
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
I've tried several screens and have come to the conclusion that if you want a really functional one, it's going to be huge (and ugly). sorry folks but those big ones look like crap in my opinion. but that's just my opinion, not gospel by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the big ones don't suit the look and lines of the 650/800.

Although I haven't heard any comments yet about the new fancy schmancy one from Touratech.
Yea, I agree, kinda like those fat ass Russel horse saddle seats . Imagine that combo on one 800 ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #221
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
I've tried several screens and have come to the conclusion that if you want a really functional one, it's going to be huge (and ugly).
Functional for what? I agree, markymcd, if you're going to spend all your riding time on the Interstate, then those Popemobile screens might get you into a dome of silence. But if you're going to spend any time at all off pavement (and if you're not, why on earth would you buy an F800/650GS?), then those big screens are just an excellent opportunity to get your larynx severed every time you go over a whoop. DAMHIK.

Me? I'm sticking with the stock screen and a good pair of ear plugs.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #222
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Functional for what? I agree, markymcd, if you're going to spend all your riding time on the Interstate, then those Popemobile screens might get you into a dome of silence. But if you're going to spend any time at all off pavement (and if you're not, why on earth would you buy an F800/650GS?), then those big screens are just an excellent opportunity to get your larynx severed every time you go over a whoop. DAMHIK.

Me? I'm sticking with the stock screen and a good pair of ear plugs.

David
I agree David... that's why I went with the 800 screen (tinted) with the clip on Touratech spoiler. the spoiler helps on the highway and you can take it off easily when you hit the dirt. AND YES, everyone with a 650/800 should be hitting the dirt! I think ChiTown rider has a quote... It's a tool not a jewel.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #223
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
Handlebar mounted wind screens are a no-no for me, I would rather do the steering than a gust of wind.
DRZ400S + Large Parabellum fork mounted screen = totaled DRZ and broken knee.

I was on the freeway doing about 70 (I know I should not have been doing that on a DRZ to begin with but sometimes you do stupid crap) the bike went into a shallow dip in the road and just as it came out and pretty much lifted all the weight from the front wheel a very strong wind gust swung the front tire all the way to the left and when the bike came down I was in a tank slapper from which I could not recover.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #224
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
I just ordered the CalSci Large F800GS windscreen. $185 retail. $202 shipped. The main reason I went with them is due to a lengthy talk with Mark, and because of this (quoted from the CalSci website):

"All our shields are laid out on a computer and cut with an industrial cutting laser. Our shields are symmetric to within a thousandth of an inch (.025mm). All mounting holes are also drilled with the laser, guarantying an excellent fit to your bike. This precision is necessary to be certain your riding experience will be precisely the same as all our other customers, and precisely what we engineered for your bike. Our windshields are
designed by Mark Lawrence and Carl Porter. Carl has a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in engineering from Ohio State University. Mark has a Bachelor's degree in engineering from the California Institute of Technology, and is currently working on a PhD in physics at the University of Southern California. Carl and Mark don't agree very well about college football teams. Mark has a bit more than 500,000 miles of motorcycle experience. It takes about 6 weeks, eight to twelve prototypes, and typically several thousand miles to finalize a windshield design. Our windshields are not just a stock windshield made a bit wider and taller. We build and modify our prototypes until the resulting windshield is quiet, comfortable, and attractive."

I am 5' 11 1/2" tall and have a 31" inseam. He recommended the large.

I'll report back after I test it to let you know if it's as good as they advertise.

The Griz screwed with this post 06-01-2009 at 09:06 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #225
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
So, has anyone fit the supposedly shorter 650's screen onto the 800 to see if it also results in reduced buffeting? I may be inclined to go that route rather than try a taller screen.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote