Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #226
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,377

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Functional for what? I agree, markymcd, if you're going to sp end all your riding time on the Interstate, then those Popemobile screens might get you into a dome of silence. But if you're going to spend any time at all off pavement (and if you're not, why on earth would you buy an F800/650GS?), then those big screens are just an excellent opportunity to get your larynx severed every time you go over a whoop. DAMHIK.

Me? I'm sticking with the stock screen and a good pair of ear plugs.

David

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #227
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Functional for what? I agree, markymcd, if you're going to sp end all your riding time on the Interstate, then those Popemobile screens might get you into a dome of silence. But if you're going to spend any time at all off pavement (and if you're not, why on earth would you buy an F800/650GS?), then those big screens are just an excellent opportunity to get your larynx severed every time you go over a whoop. DAMHIK.

Me? I'm sticking with the stock screen and a good pair of ear plugs.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
The only problem is that I'm going to be riding 3,300 miles. 2,000 of which are crossing the plains states. If you've never been in North Dakota, South Dakota, or Nebraska, then you don't know what wind really is. I'll take my Popemobile screen any day in order to not have back pain from fighting the wind all day! Then I'll take it off when I'm going to ride aggressively. It's not like the thing has to stay on at all times!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #228
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,377
I have been there Griz and for that you are doing the right thing indeed. I dont blame you at all. Your neck will appreciate it too as the winds in the plains states make a nor easter seem tame !
Still fugly though. lol

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 06-02-2009 at 06:38 AM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #229
ABeef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I just ordered the CalSci Large F800GS windscreen. $185 retail. $202 shipped. The main reason I went with them is due to a lengthy talk with Mark, and because of this (quoted from the CalSci website):

"All our shields are laid out on a computer and cut with an industrial cutting laser. Our shields are symmetric to within a thousandth of an inch (.025mm). All mounting holes are also drilled with the laser, guarantying an excellent fit to your bike. This precision is necessary to be certain your riding experience will be precisely the same as all our other customers, and precisely what we engineered for your bike. Our windshields are
designed by Mark Lawrence and Carl Porter. Carl has a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in engineering from Ohio State University. Mark has a Bachelor's degree in engineering from the California Institute of Technology, and is currently working on a PhD in physics at the University of Southern California. Carl and Mark don't agree very well about college football teams. Mark has a bit more than 500,000 miles of motorcycle experience. It takes about 6 weeks, eight to twelve prototypes, and typically several thousand miles to finalize a windshield design. Our windshields are not just a stock windshield made a bit wider and taller. We build and modify our prototypes until the resulting windshield is quiet, comfortable, and attractive."

I am 5' 11 1/2" tall and have a 31" inseam. He recommended the large.

I'll report back after I test it to let you know if it's as good as they advertise.

x2

Durango to Santa Fe with the BMW touring screen and my head was pounding from the buffeting, turbulence and noise. As soon as I stood up the air was clean and I could actually hear my engine. All hail Cal Sci.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #230
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have high popes , oops, I mean hopes for the CalSci screen. Ha.....Ha....ha...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #231
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
So, has anyone fit the supposedly shorter 650's screen onto the 800 to see if it also results in reduced buffeting? I may be inclined to go that route rather than try a taller screen.
Yep me and a few others. Can't speak for them but I get nice clean air flow around my helmet. Only complaint I have is the air hits me in the chest and blows right under the helmet which will be nice when it's warm but results in a lot of cold air in the morning. Nothing a balaclava doesn't cure though. Raise your ass off the seat a few inches and feel the nice clean air? Thats about what you'll get with the 650 screen installed unless your really short. I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam for reference.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #232
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
Yep me and a few others. Can't speak for them but I get nice clean air flow around my helmet. Only complaint I have is the air hits me in the chest and blows right under the helmet which will be nice when it's warm but results in a lot of cold air in the morning. Nothing a balaclava doesn't cure though. Raise your ass off the seat a few inches and feel the nice clean air? Thats about what you'll get with the 650 screen installed unless your really short. I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam for reference.
Interesting. I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I get clean air with the stock screen.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #233
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Thanks for the info guys.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #234
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
post trip Lip tip ...

I had my face shield mechanism fly apart the other day ... that left me to the mercies of the stock shield and a Laminar Lip. Lucky for me it worked pretty well. No direct buffeting to my lid but there was more than enough air to keep my glasses free of rain drops. Only downside I can foresee is when the rain gets serious and the temperatures drop. Other than a projected problem I'm happy with the Lip.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #235
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Had a Laminar Lip on my 2008 KLR650. It was the worst experience I've ever had. Had so much buffeting it shook my brain into a mush. I literally had headaches constantly. I finally ended up taking it off of the bike half way through the 1700 mile trip.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #236
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Had a Laminar Lip on my 2008 KLR650. It was the worst experience I've ever had. Had so much buffeting it shook my brain into a mush. I literally had headaches constantly. I finally ended up taking it off of the bike half way through the 1700 mile trip.
You are a better man than I. My laminar lip on an 05 Tiger lasted one trip down the freeway for about 40 miles and I knew I could stand it no longer.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #237
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Well, I'll see if that applies to the Lip on the F8GS ... I'm leaving for a 7000 plus mile trip next week....
Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #238
NHRedleg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I got a Laminar Lip for my F800GS too. Mounted it as high as I could w/ the supplied Dual-lock dots and the noise was worse than the stock screen and I was getting quite a bit of buffeting. I removed the dots, got some 3" strips, mounted two each side so I would have 6" of adjustment. I was hoping that I could find a sweet spot. This set-up gave me from just about 2" of Lip above the stock screen to just below where I had initially had it. I can't find any position with that Lip that is better than stock, in fact they are all worse. And I have played with this thing for over a week of riding now. I don't find that stock is all that bad, but I was hoping for what I can get if I duck down a bit. In fact I find that the noise is almost non-existent when I am standing in clean air so I know it isn't my helmet. Stock is where I will settle I guess as I don't really like the look of any of the tall screens and I liked the idea of easily removable option of the Lip for going offroad. I did consider the Tourtech clip-on extension, but haven't read anywhere that makes that sound like that is a better solution. Stock I don't really have any buffeting, just noiser than when in clean air or ducking down. But it isn't so noisey that I can't hear my mp3, phone, bike-bike comms via Cardo Scala Q2 at even 80+mph; so stock is definately livable. I am 5'9", regular seat, and wearing a Zeus ZS 2100B dualsport helmet. My $.02
'10 BMW F650GS (Wife's)
NHRedleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #239
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Slightly modified Calsci Screen

As promised (as if anyone actually cares) a few pictures of my Calsci Screen where I have used spacers in the bottom mounts to lean it back a bit and make it a bit better offroad without cutting it down. I found in the original position that I was looking through the screen too much and it also intruded a lot on my vision when I stood up.

As I have barkbusters I also had to enlarge the handlebar cutaways for clearance in the new position.

Apart from being too impatient to mask the screen when I took to it with a rotary file and marking it I am happy.

It is much quieter and warmer. I think that the bottom corners act a little bit like the winglets on the 1200GSA because even my legs are warmer and drier than with the standard screen. I am so much happier riding distances now that the seat doesn't even seem THAT uncomfortable any more.

The Side View;

The Front View;

The View from the front showing longer mounting bolt for spacers;

The view from inside showing the spacers, the back mountings are fairly adjustable so changing how far back the screen leans is not hard;

I know I should have washed it for the photos but they are meant to be dirty aren't they?
Ducksbane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #240
LurkerLance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
givi not good for tall guys

i just picked up a Givi and installed it. I'm 6'5" tall and sit fairly high on a regular or tall version of the seat on the f800gs. The stock screen had wind buffeting my chest and shoulders. The higher Givi makes it a very noisy ride now with buffeting around my helmet. If I was a shorter rider i think it would flow right over me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
Have any TALL persons tried an aftermarket windscreen?
I sit as tall as a typical 6'4" rider and need more protection.
I've been impressed by the stock screen on my F800GS regarding the lack of buffeting and turbulance, by the blast hits me in the chest.
Any experience, good or bad?
Thanks,