User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #241
LurkerLance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
backordered for months

I tried ordering one. Got backordered for months. Finally switched to another screen. I was told by one company that this photo was from a prototype not yet in production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Me too.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #242
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
My Metal Mule screen showed up the other day and unfortunately the results were no better than the stocker, Touratech or the expensive BMW touring screen. Tons of noise and tons of buffeting. 6'3", 34" inseam appears to be a black hole for screens! If I duck a few inches everything is good, if I raise up a few inches everything is good but in my normal riding position all 4 screens have been awful!
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #243
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
There are new screens just out from Z Technik
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #244
OldCrock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Installed a 650 screen on my 800

When I test rode the F800GS it had a stock height seat and I found the screen ok.
I didnt like the stock seat so bought with a low seat then found I didnt like the stock screen anymore due to wind noise and buffetting.
I didnt want to get a new seat so I have experimented with screens.
I bought a PowerBronze screen (I've been told the PowerBronze screen is simular to a Metal Mule screen, but cant verify that).
I found the higher screen moved the wind buffetting to the face of my Shoei DS helmet which then made the helmet noise even worse than the stock screen.

I have now installed a stock screen off the 'F650GS' and am very happy with the screen.
Yes I do now get the wind directly onto my chest/torso, but there is no buffetting and the wind noise in my helmet is almost completely gone.

I do mostly offroad riding so the smaller screen is ok for me.

Just my experience, try if you think it might help you also.

Cheers
Tony

OldCrock screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 01:30 AM
OldCrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #245
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
My Large CalSci will be here Monday. I'm 5'11 1/2" with a 31" inseam. Mark recommended the Large. I'll report when I test it.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #246
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
I'm 5' 10" with a 31" inseam and am returning my calsi large screen. It may be my riding position, (leaned back as far as I can to prevent back pain) but the calsci screen pocket collapses right at the top and sides of my helmet so my head just gets beat up. If I lean forward a tad it's decent but that isn't my normal riding position. I added 1.5" to the screen temporarily and sat on a 1.5" stack of newspapers (made me think the seat isn't so bad ) to simulate the the next size up and down of their screen but the buffeting is still terrible. For me it seems to be my location from the screen not a height issue. I put the 650 screen back on this morning and all is nice and smooth though a bit chilly at 42 degrees F. I think I'll just take the money and buy an electric jacket. I don't mind the pressure on my chest as I don't ride that fast and try to stay off the interstates.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #247
Lindeberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Whats the size of the F650GS(twin) original wind screen.

I want a smaller screen for my 800, so I am either buying that or Wunderlich Flowjet. The Flowjet is said to be approx 37 cm wide and 32 cm high. It sounds quite large.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #248
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
The Large CalSci for my F800GS didn't work out for me. But not due to a poor design by CalSci. It's just that it put the wind right at my visor on my Arai XD helmet. It vibrated the visor terribly, making my vision very burred. Especially when up to highway speeds (60-80mph). I didn't want to go with the XL size for aesthetic reasons, so I just returned it for a refund. I'm going to stick with the stock F800GS screen. Mark at CalSci was very nice about it. They make a great product. It was very well designed and manufactured. It may have worked fine if I didn't have a visored helmet. It just didn't work out for me with my Arai XD though.

P.S. Again, I'm 5' 11 1/2" with a 31" inseam, using an Arai XD helmet.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #249
ABeef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeef
x2

Durango to Santa Fe with the BMW touring screen and my head was pounding from the buffeting, turbulence and noise. As soon as I stood up the air was clean and I could actually hear my engine. All hail Cal Sci.

Installed the Cal Sci XL for my return trip. Huge improvement. I averaged about 80mph and the turbulence, noise and buffeting were dramatically reduced, (but not eliminated). I even put the beak back on my Shoei Hornet. I was also able to ride with my visor fully open.

This screen is huge. It can be measured in cubits. I will re-install the stocker for off road.

I am also running the Barkbuster hand guards and think that they might be adding to the buffeting. Any thoughts?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #250
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeef
Installed the Cal Sci XL for my return trip. Huge improvement. I averaged about 80mph and the turbulence, noise and buffeting were dramatically reduced, (but not eliminated). I even put the beak back on my Shoei Hornet. I was also able to ride with my visor fully open.

This screen is huge. It can be measured in cubits. I will re-install the stocker for off road.

I am also running the Barkbuster hand guards and think that they might be adding to the buffeting. Any thoughts?
I got the CalSci M for my F800GS, installed it and took it down after a test ride of about 200 meters. Unbearable for me. I'm 6' with close to 34" inseam, have the standard seat and it's just not working for me. It brings the wind exactly at eye level on the helmet.

If anybody is interested: I sell it for $50 off the original price as I made a small (can maybe polished out) scratch on the lower side - next to the screws holding it (San Francisco / Bay Area).

Testing a bit more, I probably need the XL screen to work for me, but I don't like the height and I don't like the look. Also I'm not sure how the XL without additional support will work - does it "wobble"?

Idea I have right now is bite the bullet and get the BMW Touring Screen and put a Laminar Lip or a Touratech spoiler on top. Does someone have this setup? Or did someone fit a screen of the R1200GS Adventure on the F800GS?

Thanks,
Guido
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #251
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 541
TT R12GS Add On

I'm about to fit the TT R12 Spoiler to my TT F800 screen. The 14 inch TT screen proved to be inadequate. TT Canada sent me a pic, which I have attached, showing the interface. I should have 19 inches all in and I am just @ 6 ft. I will update once the spoiler has arrived and been tested.

Cheers...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #252
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
I

Idea I have right now is bite the bullet and get the BMW Touring Screen and put a Laminar Lip or a Touratech spoiler on top. Does someone have this setup? Or did someone fit a screen of the R1200GS Adventure on the F800GS?

Thanks,
Guido
I'm finding the Laminar Lip on the stock shield does a pretty good job. It puts the airflow above my head and that hole lets in some welcome air to counter the heat. It is noisy but it takes care of the buffeting. Oh it does absolutely nothing for me in 40 MPH side winds. Welcome to Ellensburg, WA.
Oh yeah, 6', 31" inseam
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #253
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Chiming in late but I just installed the OEM touring $creen. With the stock seat, it's clean airflow over the helmet.

I also have the Touratech handguards as I've given up on my backordered OEM handguards and they do NOT hit or interfere with the position of the stock screen.

I can now see why the other aftermarket screens have to be quite vertical and look like a barn door on the bike, because if they were swooped back, they'd need a cut out for the handlebar / handguards.

I'm sure when Aeroflow releases theirs, it will be excellent.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #254
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 541
Mucho dinero!

Adding up the total cost of my TT windscreen setup has proven to be $$$$!

May very well have been more prudent to have gone the BMW Touring Screen route right from the git go!

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #255
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Chiming in late but I just installed the OEM touring $creen. With the stock seat, it's clean airflow over the helmet.
GB,
How tall are you? How much of that is leg vs. torso?

Just tryin' to get a comparison to myself before I lay out the big bucks...