Oddometer: 9,221
Pics of it ABeef ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #272
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Hmmm, I think, I don't like it. I didn't like the look of the M size CalSci and I don't like the look of the XL one bit.

For now, I'm using ear plugs and see what I will do in the next couple weeks. Just ordered Adventure cases anyways, so out of money for now.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #273
ABeef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Cal Sci XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Pics of it ABeef ?
Hope these work.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #274
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
if you copy the img code and paste in your post----wa-la

Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #275
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Sorry about that--I didn't see you had the touring screen. The R12 Spoiler doesn't work with the stock F800GS screen....

Rob in Seattle

The screen the spoiler is attached to is a TT F800 screen. At 14 inches it wasn't quite tall enough for me. I have a friend with the same screen (sans spoiler), he is shorter and with the low BMW F800 seat he claims it is perfection. This setup works for me but it is busy and moves about a bit. Would prefer single screen and perhaps an additional support?

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #276
DV RIDER
ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 3
Wind Screens

I first started with the Touratech 14" screen and the wind kept beating me up at freeway speeds, so I then bought a Calsci 19.5" screen and love it!
DV RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #277
Claudellvonhop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
DV Rider - I just bought the same. What is your height and inseam? Seems like CalSci screens are hit or miss for folks here and would be interested to know more about your experience w/ the "L" size.
Claudellvonhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #278
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,701
I guess I'll chime in here also. I've got the CalSci large, and maybe should have got the xlarge. I'm 6' even, 33" inseam. I've got a Sargent seat, which I think is maybe an inch or so lower than the stocker. I'm in south Texas and need to pretty much keep my visor open (Shoei Hornet). With the large, I've got a pretty quiet envelope behind the shield, and the wind protection is excellent. The heavy wind is above my helmet. It's easy to turn my head sideways, and there's no uplift on my visor. Problem is, there's an anoying buffetting. It's not terrible, but enough to distort my vision. If I need to read a sign in the distance, I need to duck down a few inches and look though the shield. In a heavy head wind, the buffetting increases to where I'm sitting funny trying to duck down, which gets really tireing on a long ride. If I put my hand at the top of the shield, the buffetting is gone, which is why I think I maybe should have gone with the xl. The problem with going to the xl shield, though, is that the large is almost up to the bottom of my sight line. I think the xl would be fine on the highway, but another few inches above what I have now would be a problem around town. I tried blocking the CalSci hole, but that made the problem worse. I'm considering making the whole bigger to see if that helps. I kind of think the problem, though, is in the shape of the shield which is breaking to dirty air just in front of my helmet. Hope this helps.
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #279
Claudellvonhop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
CalSci size Large

Receive my new windscreen yesterday and installed last night. After 200 miles today, I'm happy to report that I love it! I can comfortably ride at interstate speed w/ visor up... I was a little concerned the height would look nerdy, but it doesn't. Big thumbs up for the CalSci

Will post pics when I figure it out.
Claudellvonhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #280
cug
--

Got the BMW Touring Screen installed

F800GS

Works good for me. Moves the wind up to the helmet but very clean, so it's not louder than before. I like it better than the CalSci M windshield I still have in the garage (Someone interested?). Still going to add a laminar lip for better long distance competence.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #281
cug
--

Touring Screen with Laminar Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Still going to add a laminar lip for better long distance competence.
Quick note on that:

I installed the lip today and it seems like this is going to work really well for me. I was driving around today with the lip in several positions attached with masking tape. Lowest position (the screen gets narrow in the middle, so there is a lower limit) and highest position both didn't work sooooo well. Highest was good at highway speed but not good around 40mph. Lowest was good at 40mph but not good at 65.

It is now installed with the edge of the upper glue pad 3cm from the top of the screen. This position worked best for me. I moved it around ten times to find this position and it seems this is the best compromise between no droning (Is that the word? Low frequency rumble at the helmet.) and good protection at higher speeds.

Right now the beast is sitting in the garage with screw clamps holding the lip tight to the screen on all four pads. Will remove the clamps before I go to bed in about an hour and see how it looks like tomorrow. On the weekend I'll get some pictures taken with the lip, but it basically looks like the lower one of this, just not as high on the screen.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #282
cug
--

OEM Touring Screen with Laminar Lip

It's dark outside, but I thought I share some photos anyway:

This one is hard to see because of the really bad background, but nevertheless, gives an impression.

In the next days, I'll take more photos.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #283
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,096
That looks exactly like the position I have mine. 5000 miles confirm the Lip is good enough that I don't feel the need to look at the coming Aeroflow.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #284
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...7398TPj19AB060

Has anyone felt a little too rich laltely & plunked down $$805 for this unit? It does look pretty good and might be able to work for a taller rider, but would love some real world knowlege. Not that I am going to order right away.

TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #285
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
That looks exactly like the position I have mine. 5000 miles confirm the Lip is good enough that I don't feel the need to look at the coming Aeroflow.
Out of curiosity: how tall are you, what inseam? I'm 6' with 34" inseam. I use the low seat as I find it more comfortable and it brings me out of the wind a bit - AND it gives my wife the chance to ride the F800GS, too.