Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #286
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarmer
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...7398TPj19AB060

Has anyone felt a little too rich laltely & plunked down $$805 for this unit? It does look pretty good and might be able to work for a taller rider, but would love some real world knowlege. Not that I am going to order right away.
What I don't like on this is the dark color. I like being able to see through the screen if I have to. And this might be hard at night or even in the evening.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #287
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Out of curiosity: how tall are you, what inseam? I'm 6' with 34" inseam. I use the low seat as I find it more comfortable and it brings me out of the wind a bit - AND it gives my wife the chance to ride the F800GS, too.
6', 31.5" inseam. I more or less mounted the Lip as high as I thought the OEM screen would maintain support. Pretty much the way you did. I'm using a Sargent seat which is a bit lower than the stock but strangely it has me sitting higher, more upright than the stock seat. I sit a little more forward. That height puts air at the top of my helmet. It's not ideal and no where near as quiet as I'm sure the Aeroflow will be, but it does what I need to ride long distances and it's never in my line sight.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #288
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
6', 31.5" inseam.
So you sit around 2 to 2.5" taller than me.

As said, I'm using the low seat and I'm pretty happy with the results there. I don't think I will look at Aeroflow for now, it gets pricey trying out all that crap. I have not many miles on the new setup, but will probably do a little longer ride over the weekend to see how it performs.

What I did to find out the best position for me:
  • attach lip at highest position (2 to 3mm between upper glue pad and windshield edge), test ride at 30mph, 40mph, 65mph - not good, vibrations at visor at about 40mph, droning, decent at 65mph, okay but not perfect below 40mph
  • attach lip at lowest position, repeat test ride, nice at lower speeds, droning at highway
  • put lip in the middle position, repeat test, good results, not perfect
  • put lip in the middle between middle and 1) highest or 2) lowest, two test rides
  • found out, that higher from overall middle was better, go from there, 1cm up, test ride
  • 1cm down, test ride

As said, in the end, I did about 10 changes to verify that the final position was the best one. Settled on 30mm from upper edge of windshield to upper edge of upper glue pad. This was the best position I could find, I did a 5 mile test ride with lots of masking tape to keep it nice and tight there and I liked it so far. Will report back on more impressions for this setup over time and take some pictures in daylight.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #289
cug
--

Laminar Lip on Touring Windshield

So, today I did some riding with the Laminar Lip attached to the BMW Touring Windshield and I can say I'm quite happy with the results. It's not perfect but the best I had so far.

Here's the best photo I got so far:

BMW F800GS

When you click on the photo, there are also some more pictures on the Flickr site in my photos.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #290
GS Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I don't own one, but I rode one for an hour today, stock screen.

This bike feels a LOT lighter than it is based on specs. And the whole bike feels very, very narrow ( a good thing).

I found the stock screen to be about as noisy as most stock screens on most bikes, once you get up to 50 mph and over.

It seemed to me that it was not just a matter of screen height and shape, but the fact that so much turbulent air would come around the sides. Standing up puts you into clean air, but obviously, into a lot of air. Any screen will have to be narrow (hour glass shaped) due to handle bar issues, etc.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth, was that I was left with the impression that the only way to get quiet air/clean air, was to run the bike with no screen or only a very, very short and small fly screen.

I am only 5'7" with a 30" inseam, BTW. The OEM low seat was in place, and I did not find the bike to be too tall. But then, again, I own a 1200GS and an '08 Ulysses, so there you have it.

Great bike, otherwise. Too light a flywheel, I think. But that is the direction that ALL fuel injected, modern bikes have gone...except for the Ulysses. I think this bike would be greatly improved if it had a heavier flywheel. It would address all of the issues complained about regarding snatchy on/off throttle issues, which I found to be very noticable, but not more so than a LOT of modern bikes. You would think that fuel mapping/computer wizards could program this issue out of the bikes, but it hasn't happened yet. It is not BMW specific, IMO.

AND...IMO, ignore the spec sheets. They say the bike makes 85 hp or something like that. It felt stronger. A lot stronger. It is plenty quick, both off the start, and in rolling on at speed. Plenty of power.

And, I test rode both a K1200S and K1300S. Ridiculous, in good ways. Too much power for mortals. And plenty of throttle snatch, though the 1300 mapping is better. ESA works, BTW. But it is another electronic/mechanical thing that would worry me on long trips. If it breaks, you can't fix it yourself. That is for sure. And I bet it gets expensive once warranty is over. But that is another issue, for another bike. Sorry to digress.

Bones

"Context is everything."
GS Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #291
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
So, today I did some riding with the Laminar Lip attached to the BMW Touring Windshield and I can say I'm quite happy with the results. It's not perfect but the best I had so far.

Here's the best photo I got so far:

When you click on the photo, there are also some more pictures on the Flickr site in my photos.
Cug which specific model is the Laminar Lip you're using?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #292
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
Cug which specific model is the Laminar Lip you're using?
it the one for the BMW Touring Screen - Laminar has a special one (B1139C) here.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #293
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
it the one for the BMW Touring Screen - Laminar has a special one (B1139C) here.
Thanks for the quick response!!
I should have checked their site before asking
the last time I looked there was over a year ago lol
Now I wonder if that lip will work on a Cee Bailey Screen too....
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #294
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
Thanks for the quick response!!
I should have checked their site before asking
the last time I looked there was over a year ago lol
Now I wonder if that lip will work on a Cee Bailey Screen too....
The one for the touring screen probably not as that screen is pretty curved towards the rider. See here:

Touring Screen with Laminar Lip
Old 07-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #295
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Okay, so it's an F650GS twin and not the F8 but...there might be someone interested in seeing what the BMW touring screen looks like on this bike. I'm really happy with it so far. I like the looks of it much better than anything else on the market and it does a great job at highway speeds.

bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #296
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,439
this one sure works well

Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #297
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
Who makes that one?
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:31 AM   #298
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter
Who makes that one?
Looks to be the new Ztechnik http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/zte...h_model=bm-042

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #299
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,439
tecnik Vstream $190 but you have to install mirror extenders (which I like)
Old 08-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #300
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
I got to try one of these screens @ BMW MOA Rally.

They will be coming out with a revision to make it fit the F658, the ones they had at the show fit the F800GS fine, but do not quite fit the F658. So if you buy one for an F658 make SURE you get the lastest revision level!

For reference - At 6' 0" and 32" inseam and std. seat I found the medium to be too short for me on the F658.

I like the design, but it did hit my SW-M Mirror Extenders, I think it would have worked fine with the Ztechnik extenders which are lower profile.

I hate this whole windscreen thing ....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote