User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #391
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Hey Tallguy:
I was thinking of cutting my screen down as well, just leaving enough to protect the instrument panel from flying debris. Yours looks great! Did you cut an even amount off the top follwing the countour, or did you reshape it slightly as well?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #392
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Oddometer: 348
I am in Heaven!

So, I went with the Markymcd mod. and am I glad I did it. I purchased the robobrackets from Madstad and a Metal Mule windscreen. I cut down the OEM screen by about 3" and mounted the brackets to the screen. Then I took 4" off the bottom of the Metal Mule and turned that into the top screen.

Then I went out and tweaked it. And let me tell you it is WONDERFUL. I can move the screen up, down, slant it, get it close to me, further away etc. You can decide how much air you want, how much protection. It gives you so many options it makes your head spin.

For the first time I was totally buffeting free!! I have never been buffet free with any windscreen on any bike I have ever owned!

This was a pretty easy project, If you can handle a skill saw, and a drill you can handle this.

Thanks Markymcd for posting your work. This is a must modification if you want flexibility and a way to rid yourself of that devilish buffeting!! Once on the dirt, you just put it as low as possible and it is totally out of your way.

Price $130 for the RoboBrackets, $135 for the Metal Mule.

I am trying to ref some photos from my photobucket account, let's see if it works. Click on the links and it should take you to the pictures (I hope)

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/bentover.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a.../bentfront.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...cketbehind.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...racketside.jpg
I want an early 70's toaster tank, you got one for sale?

bpken11 screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 08:20 AM
bpken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #393
vroom2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Aeroflow pics please

wordnow, tallguy-09, or anyone else who has one, can you please post some outdoor pictures of the Aeroflow screen? All of the pictures posted so far are inside, with artificial flash, and too close up to get a real impression of how large the screen looks on the bike.

Can you post some outdoor pictures, from a bit further away, and also from a few different angles, including a side shot and a rear quarter shot? I'm trying to get an idea of how large it looks relative to the size of the bike as a whole.

One can never have too many pictures.

Thanks!
vroom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #394
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I have the light tint skidmarx windshield from the f800depot.com. I haven't seen it reviewed here yet. I like it and the wind hits me at the top of the helmet now. It will buffet my helmet some. If your shorter it.... you will clear the wind altogether. I am 6' 1" with 32" inseam. I have used it for 2500 miles of highway and mixed riding with no complaints. I like it because it isn't ginormous yet does deflect the wind.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #395
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
OT
Hey bpken11 it looks like you have your nuvi suction mount on the tach window, is that working out well for you and does it stay on over pretty heavy bumps? It looks much cleaner there than on the bars like I have mine and I don't need a tach as I'm a short shifter most of the time.

PS for those too lazy to click these are the images bpken11 have of his set up

Old 10-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #396
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Thanks

Thanks Tall Guy and Dave S. First i have to thank Markymcd for the idea and step by step on the modification. He has this posted someplace in these 47 pages of posts. His modification included the BMW windscreen touring bar ala the 1200gsa. I have found that i do get a little bit of up and down motion when at speed. And yes Tall Guy, I ran that configuration at 80 mph with no problem! But the bar should help a bit, most of the motion comes from the lower screen flexing.

DaveS. that is my nuvi with the suction cup on the tach. It's pretty easy to tell when you are getting close to 8,500 without the tach and I am to cheap to purchase a handlebar setup! I have ridden over 2000 miles with the set up with no problem. I just wet the cup a little and stick it on. If I am going to hit some dirt roads or if I think I will be hitting some of NY's wonderful potholes I will use a wide bungee and make one wrap around the stalk then attach to the bottom of the factory windscreen thus applying a wee bit of pressure against the tach window.

When I stop for a bit, I just take off the GPS but leave the suction cup on. If I am on local trails I take the set up off and throw it in a case or my jacket pocket until I hit the street again. It has worked great for me

Here is a picture with the bungee cord setup (you can kind of see it).

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a.../oldforge1.jpg

Dave S How did you get my other picures to come out so big?? I'm such a newbe!

bpken11 screwed with this post 10-06-2009 at 08:32 PM
Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #397
wordnow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom2
wordnow, tallguy-09, or anyone else who has one, can you please post some outdoor pictures of the Aeroflow screen? All of the pictures posted so far are inside, with artificial flash, and too close up to get a real impression of how large the screen looks on the bike.

Can you post some outdoor pictures, from a bit further away, and also from a few different angles, including a side shot and a rear quarter shot? I'm trying to get an idea of how large it looks relative to the size of the bike as a whole.

One can never have too many pictures.

Thanks!
I will upload some pictures, hopefully in the next week so you get some outdoor photos.
wordnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #398
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpken11
Thanks Markymcd for posting your work. This is a must modification if you want flexibility and a way to rid yourself of that devilish buffeting!! Once on the dirt, you just put it as low as possible and it is totally out of your way.
Your Welcome!!!

By the way it's the 800 touring brace that I used. Unfortunately it's stupidly expensive but makes the whole thing rock solid. the challenge in not installing it first is that your upper mounting points for your Robobracket should drill through and attach through the mount points for the brace.

I've got something else in the works too but am working on building a prototype and can't really disclose until I'm ready to sell it. I'm sure it's a mod that hopefully everyone with a stock shield will want to buy. If there is interest from sites like twistedthrottle etc. I might be in production by spring. And it's also a great addition for this Robobracket mod.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #399
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I'll get the Wunderlich Ergo Screen Vario: http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?p...7&groupid=1642

The non-adjustable Ergo Screen High simply was too noisy for my comfort. I had to use earplugs all the time to save my ears as much as possible. Even then a steady bass rumble from turbulence was physically shaking my helmet.
The newer, adjustable one should do the job for my 186cm frame.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #400
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway
I'll get the Wunderlich Ergo Screen Vario: http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?p...7&groupid=1642

The non-adjustable Ergo Screen High simply was too noisy for my comfort. I had to use earplugs all the time to save my ears as much as possible. Even then a steady bass rumble from turbulence was physically shaking my helmet.
The newer, adjustable one should do the job for my 186cm frame.
I have the same experience with the Wunderlich Ergo Screen High. In fact, the turbulence is so great that I have gone back to the standard F800GS OEM screen. I am also curious about the new adjustable Vario screen. It is not available in the US yet, so patience will be needed on my part...
Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #401
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
Screen only slides up and down from 465mm to 525mm and won't allow a change of screen angle from what I see and read in German.
Yup, but the aerodynamic air pressure-relief caused by the two-part screen will no doubt dampen the wind noise considerably. The Ergo High's wind noise is by far the most excessive I've had on any bike and will at length damage my hearing. A no-brainer for me to try something more ear-friendly. I really appreciated the weather-protection of the Ergo, though. Far better than the too low OEM joke of a "touring screen" which I also have tried.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 10-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #402
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

air pressure relief

Quote:
Yup, but the aerodynamic air pressure-relief caused by the two-part screen will no doubt dampen the wind noise considerably. The Ergo High's wind noise is by far the most excessive I've had on any bike and will at length damage my hearing. A no-brainer for me to try something more ear-friendly. I really appreciated the weather-protection of the Ergo, though. Far better than the too low OEM joke of a "touring screen" which I also have tried.
Not so...... I found with my set-up that I was only able to get rid of the buffetting and associtated noise by changing the angle of attack of the windscreen. That is the magic of the robobracket! They let you place the airflow exactly where you want it. I have it set so the air hits me just below the chin, any higher and i get the buffet (gee I'm hungry) any lower and it feels like some giant is pushing on my chest! Now I will say that it is much better than a non-adjustable screen even if it were only able to go up and down (I tried many different positions). What really makes this system so wonderful is the ability to change that angle, that's the big difference and how you get the best results!

Now, since I am a cheapo, I am going to have to build some kind of brace that will fit the holes I already drilled in that stock screen. I'm just not interested in spending the big $ for that touring brace!

can't wait to see what Markymcd comes up with next.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/bentover.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a.../bentfront.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...cketbehind.jpg
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...racketside.jpg

bpken11 screwed with this post 10-07-2009 at 03:43 PM
Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #403
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

That may be so, but I intend to modify the Ergo Vario as needed to achieve less noise anyway. Your setup may work for you, but is not my preferred aestehetics. If needed I'll simply start adjusting screen angle or whatever it takes.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #404
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09

What about Winglets? Do they work?
[/IMG]
Those Nippy Norman winglets in combination with a touring windshield work very well for weather protection and reduce some of the buffeting. Got'em myself. The downside is reduced aerodynamics/increased fuel consumption when cruising at highways/autobahn speeds - i.e. above 110kmh. But this bike is not about aerodynamics. Still worth watching the fuel milelage with that minimalist 16l tank.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #405
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Those Nippy Norman winglets in combination with a touring windshield work very well for weather protection and reduce some of the buffeting. Got'em myself. The downside is reduced aerodynamics/increased fuel consumption when cruising at highways/autobahn speeds - i.e. above 110kmh. But this bike is not about aerodynamics. Still worth watching the fuel milelage with that minimalist 16l tank.
what i'm working on is something like that. but it works with the stock screen and possibly the powerbronze (metalmule). and it increases aerodynamics rather than makes it worse like the duckbill. and reduces buffeting considerably and increases riding comfort. Depending on production costs my add-on could be as low as $50 but I won't know that till spring.

although for helmet buffeting the robobracket may be the most versatile option. I have my pre-prototype installed with the robobracket system and it's awesome. It actually seems like acceleration is improved at higher speeds. Big emphasis on 'seems'.

Mark