Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #421
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
Screen only slides up and down from 465mm to 525mm and won't allow a change of screen angle from what I see and read in German.
Just as general info: Wunderlich USA says they expect their first shipment of these to arrive mid-November. The price is not yet set for US market.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #422
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
I bought the Aeroflow Medium on their recommendation after thinking I should have the standard height. I'm 5'5" with a 29" inseam. The wind is directed completely over my helmet, no buffeting what so ever. I did an 550 mile ride for coffee and pie on Saturday and was very comfortable for the entire way on dirt and at highway speeds with this screen.

Got a little rain and watching the drops slide up and off in slow motion was cool.

From the rear in the garage

From the front

Starboard side

Port side in the garage

- Jon

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #423
Rikki Rockett
Look What The Cat Rode In

Oddometer: 228
The clip on dealio from Touratech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
I'm lost ... which spoiler?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #424
viniegra71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Touratech Spoiler

viniegra71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #425
viniegra71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
viniegra71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #426
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
Touratech Windscreen Review

I'm 5'10" with the standard seat. For me, I really just wanted to get the air pressure off my chest for the winter. I find myself holding the grips pretty tight at speed because of the push from the wind. And when the air turns cold I feel it penetrating my riding jacket and it taxes my Gerbings too much.
The Touratech shield does a great job of taking the wind off your chest. Or my chest I should say. However, what it also did was create a gale wind around my helmet making noise levels just unacceptable. And I have ridden a KTM 950 for years with an XD helmet, so those who have also ridden one know what I mean. "Drumming".
So, it's going back and Im not that picky. I just want that pressure off my chest and clean air for my lid. The TT shield didn't provide me with both. I will say, it looked OK, to good, on the bike. Not a huge AMC Pacer type wind shield. I just refuse to turn my 800 into the Pope mobile. So, until I find something, the OEM one goes back on.
This was my experience, yours may be different.
Frank

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #427
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Frank:

Any thoughts on what you'll do next?

Personally the noise of having my helmet in the "turbulent zone" of air tumbling off the shield is a bitch for me.

I've kinda concluded that I've either got to

1)have a REALLY short shield (shorter than the stock F658 shield which is shorter than the F800GS shield) so that the turbulent zone hits me below the bottom of the helmet (I've cut about 3/4" off my F658 stock screen and I'm almost there)

or

2) get something approaching the pope-mobile screen that will have the bottom edge of the turbulent zone near the top of my helmet.... but I don't think I can go for that .....

Option #1 is really not that bad for me except in high winds or low temps... but lately I've been riding in those conditions.... so ... I don't know ....

If the new adjustable wunderlich has enough range of adjustment or if something else comes on the market then maybe I can have the best of both worlds - almost "naked bike" for summer / low wind / off-road conditions and then ratchet the the think up when needed for cold/hi-wind conditions? I'm looking for other options ....
Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #428
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

not sure JR, but I think the key lies in the ability to angle the shield ( who evers it may be) fore and aft a bit like on the 1200GS. When I had one, I could easily find the sweet spot by simply using the stock shield adjusters and angling the 1200 shield back a bit.
but call me shallow, but asthetics are equally important. so it will be a fine line Im trying to walk.
of course in Dec. I may throw the looks thing out the window and call the Pope !

Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #429
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I'm 5'10" with the standard seat. For me, I really just wanted to get the air pressure off my chest for the winter. I find myself holding the grips pretty tight at speed because of the push from the wind. And when the air turns cold I feel it penetrating my riding jacket and it taxes my Gerbings too much.
The Touratech shield does a great job of taking the wind off your chest. Or my chest I should say. However, what it also did was create a gale wind around my helmet making noise levels just unacceptable. And I have ridden a KTM 950 for years with an XD helmet, so those who have also ridden one know what I mean. "Drumming".
So, it's going back and Im not that picky. I just want that pressure off my chest and clean air for my lid. The TT shield didn't provide me with both. I will say, it looked OK, to good, on the bike. Not a huge AMC Pacer type wind shield. I just refuse to turn my 800 into the Pope mobile. So, until I find something, the OEM one goes back on.
This was my experience, yours may be different.
Frank
FWIW - this is my experience as well. I actually purchased the shield off of another FF who had the exact same experience too. :(

I still think it's the best looking shield for the F800GS though. Too bad it didn't even come close to working for me.
F800 Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #430
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

What are you using now Rob ?

Yesterday, I switched back to the stock shield and rode to UPS with the TT shield back in the box. No doubt about it. Stock is better for your ears.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #431
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
My TT screen works perfectly for me. Then again, I've got a few inches on y'all at 6'3" so . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #432
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yea that sounds about right when I was moving up and back down to the seat level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
My TT screen works perfectly for me. Then again, I've got a few inches on y'all at 6'3" so . . .

Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #433
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden

I've kinda concluded that I've either got to

1)have a REALLY short shield (shorter than the stock F658 shield which is shorter than the F800GS shield) so that the turbulent zone hits me below the bottom of the helmet (I've cut about 3/4" off my F658 stock screen and I'm almost there)

or

2) get something approaching the pope-mobile screen that will have the bottom edge of the turbulent zone near the top of my helmet.... but I don't think I can go for that .....
I've had the same problem as Frank with the Touratech screen. It was annoyingly loud and gave me a headache. It came off after the first ride.

I ended up cutting the stock F658 screen down about an inch. The result is clean air that hits me just below the chin. Even on short highway runs, it's not bad but the wind blast gets a little tiresome on the shoulders on longer rides.

I rode a new KLR last weekend and it has exactly the kind of wind protection I'm looking for. The wind hit me in the faceshield but it was clean and just enough protection to keep the blast off of my shoulders and chest.

How does the F800 stock windscreen perform? I might want to try one. If anyone has one for sale, please send me a PM.

Navaho screwed with this post 10-28-2009 at 08:48 AM
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #434
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

TT - adjustable screen...

For some reason I had thought the adjustable TT (besides being priced ummmmmmm .... kinda high ) was only adjustable in terms of height... but the description says:

"The height and inclination of the screen can be adjusted as well as the distance from the fairing (important for eliminating annoying airflow). This can be done easily in a few seconds with a standard size 6 open ended spanner."

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/p...5&session=true
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #435
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,662
Buffeting

So, I was so annoyed by the buffeting I still experience with my F800GS and completely pissed because of other reasons tonight that I thought of trying out some stuff and not letting it go again because I don't have enough time ...

Found out what creates about 60% of the noise I still get: the hand protectors!

When I got the bike I installed the R1200GS Adventure hand protectors (the plastic pieces with the large spoilers. Photos can be seen here:

Photos

I use a BMW Touring Screen and a Laminar Lip on top. It works quite well, but I was completely annoyed that I still got so much noise and tonight I was playing around with holding my hand everywhere, trying to figure out the wind flow and so on. Removed the hand protectors completely and it is WAY better now. But now I get cold hands. I'm still looking at getting an Aeroflow screen and using the hand protectors with the smaller spoiler and see how that works out.

So, consider the hand guards when looking where buffeting / noise might come from!