Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #631
wazowski
GaaaSssss

Oddometer: 10
Is there a poll or something like that about f800/650 windshields?
There are so many opinions out there I need to see it in numbers
wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #632
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 179
Hole-saw experiment

I have an aftermarket screen that is 17" in height. Got a taller saddle now I'm getting some serious helmet buffeting.

Thought I'd try some experimenting with a hole-saw. I drilled a 1-1/2" hole just above the instrument panel to see about changing the pressure of the pocket that I sat in. Worked a bit to relieve the sound. I plan on adding a couple more beside the middle one to see how that changes things. I'm using my OEM extra support and there seems to be no additional screen-flex.

I also have the OEM touring screen and experience the helmet noise that many others have. I like the wind protection it gives but the noise is very loud. I'm 6'2" with a XPC saddle about 2" taller than stock.

Between swapping back to the OEM touring screen I took a 15 mile ride on the hwy and liked the quiet. Below 70 MPH the wind-force on the upper body is alright. Over 75 MPH I can see that any length in saddle would cause extra fatigue over having a windscreen.

Debating on getting a "lip" for my OEM touring screen, or just trying to pick up a 658 stock screen.

Any suggestions for someone my size who does the majority of driving about 75 MPH?
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #633
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,421
I am 6'3" and thinking of adding a TT lip so I too would love to hear comments. Any pics of your bike with that XPC seat?
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #634
Timbercruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Windscreen or Not

F800GS is my first street-worth bike in 38 years. Love it, respect it, and fear it a little. At 5'10" and 155#, it's a bit heavy and tall, taking some getting used to; but I'm getting there. The street performance is awesome for a bike with dirt capabilities. All of this aside, what was most difficult getting used to was the roar about the helmet at speeds as low as 35mph. I installed a Givi, which improved things, moving the source of the racket from the bottom of the helmet to the top. Would go taller for sake of silence, but don't want to look through plastic or lose the feeling of some wind in the face. Just removed the windscreen entirely, and can finally hear the engine. No more glancing at the tach or feeling for vibration to know how the engine is doing. May leave the screen off, except for long road trips at high speeds. The only downside that I can foresee is a few more bugs in the faceshield, upper body, and back of the instruments. At test speeds up to 55, the wind on the body is nothing at all.
Timbercruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #635
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Timber:

I think I'm with you ... I have the F658GS for two years now, and the helmet wind noise is really the only complaint I have with this setup. This is my first bike that has not been completely naked.

I have cut down the screen on the F658 until it just a little taller than the instrument cluster, and think that I can still take maybe another 1/2" off of it before I start getting bugs on the back of the instruments...

I test drove a Honda V-twin for a buddy yesterday who does not yet have his MC license and it is a naked bike ... and with same riding gear and helmet it is quieter (except for the required loud pipes ) than our bikes.

I think I'm going to take one more pass with the band saw on my screen... and maybe go for a new Shoei Quest to replace my TZ-R ... ...
I put some foam in the back of the ear pockets of mthe TZ-R and it really helped... so mmmmmmm maybe not ;-)

Quest thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623457
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #636
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
An obvious question but have you guys ever tried ear plugs? Nice soft foam ones, property inserted and the noise problem is history.

I tried them 6 years ago and now can't ride around the block without them.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #637
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM
An obvious question but have you guys ever tried ear plugs? Nice soft foam ones, property inserted and the noise problem is history.

I tried them 6 years ago and now can't ride around the block without them.
Yep, always used them here... just looking for "more" quiet
Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #638
Timbercruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Soft Plugs

Tampajim:

No, haven't tried the soft plugs yet. Do they eliminate all noise in the same manner, or primarily just the wind, etc? I like to hear what's going on, as much as I am able. A little wind and engine noise coming through would be ideal. Total quiet would't be my first choice. However, the soft plugs are inexpensive, so worth a try if engine noise can come through.
Timbercruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #639
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Timber I like the really soft ones (32 db) You can buy them in bulk, use each set a few times and toss. The firmer ones start to hurt after a while.

They cut down all noise but primarily wind roar. You can still hear the engine but not all the valve noise.

I had a touring bike with a dash radio that I could not hear above 60 MPH without plugs.. With the plugs in and full face helmet I could hear the music just fine at any speed and hearing emergency vehicles is not a problem.

They have to be properly inserted to be effective.. I roll them up between thumb and fore finger, lube the tip with a little spit, insert with a little twist then hold them for 30 seconds until they expand (otherwise they tend to pop back out).
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #640
smm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Aeroflow

I'm 6'3" and even with the taller rallye seat the Aeroflow XL screen works great. Very little turbulence up to 75mph or so and it doesn't interfere with standing up.

-Scott
smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #641
lilmonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Here's my 650 with the MRA and barkbusters.

Only on full left lock does the screen hit the barkbusters. It's slight and just pushes the screen a little. A little adjustment might cure it, but it's nothing to worry me.

Previous:
2010 BMW F650GS 1989 Honda Transalp 1989 Honda Hawk NT650 1980 Honda Hawk CB400
lilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #642
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
Cold weather protection

For those of you who ride in cold weather, here are some pictures of my F650GS that I've put the Aeroflow lowers (Duct Deflectors and Leg Gards) on. These with the Aeroflow Windscreen give very good cold (and rain) protection.

These give me a extra month of riding in the fall and in again in the spring.

here is a link to my pictures
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...=40406&page=17

sorry but less than 1 Meg jeg files will not upload to this site.

I put these on last spring and did an 300 mile trip to Whitehorse Pressfrom my home in Vt in temps from a low of 42 to a high of 55 just fine (with Darien suit). In temps above 50 jeans are just fine. (heat from engine help.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #643
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

VTBob:

Can they be removed for summer riding or is that too much of a pain?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #644
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 525
They can be taken off. I first installed these last spring. Rode the bike with them till we got a day that hit 80. Too hot so off the came till a couple of weeks ago.

The Duct Deflectors, the upper units by the radiator vent are held on by some "super velcro pads" so they just pop off 10 secs.
The lower "leg gards" are each held on but 3 screws so it takes about 5 minutes a side. I did leave the lower mounts in place.(a bracket and a single bolt) which goes in a unused taped engine casing hole.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #645
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Random comments:

3Rrr - after substantial hosing around, I have concluded you either need to be in clean air (minimal to no screen) or a screen tall enough to get most of your helmet in quiet air at highway speeds. The problem with the second part of that statement is that it depends not only (well duh) on screen height, but also screen angle, screen "flip up" at the top if any, maybe vent holes in the screen, etc.... if the screen tosses air into the area between somewhere around the top of the shoulders and the bottom of the helmet ... I think you get "loud"...
I wish someone could teach me otherwise...

TampaJim - yeah I never ride without earplugs - I find some brands expand too quickly for me to get them situated in my ears before they have grown too much in size... I'm currently using AO Smith brand from Home Depot, not expensive and once squeezed they do stay small enough long enough for me to get the little hosers in place....

VTBob: Thanks!

on a related topic ... helmet noise ... I just bought one of the new Shoei Qwest helmets. I'll have a review posted over here shortly.

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...Qwest?p=465636

Summary review - I like it alot!