Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #661
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
JR

The "wings" are the end result of my experiments as a beta tester to reduce turbulence caused from the wind flow that comes under and up when you use a tall screen. Other manufactures offer something similar (Aeroflow) as an option, but Madstad includes it in the package. They ain't real pretty but they are very functional. Like aluminum panniers.

You don't need them but they sure do eliminate the helmet buffeting when you get above 55mph. They are also very effective in cold weather as I can attest from a recent trip when the temperature got down in the 30"s.
They deflect that blast of air that flows through the gap between the bottom of the windshield and that bulge in the fairing where your knees go. When you are in riding position, it looks like a full fairing in front of you..

They are easily removed - four thumb screws, and can be stacked flat so they take almost no storage space.
Thanks TampaJim!
While I have to admit that there may be some truth to the description:
"wounded bird at a Black Sabbath concert.." I don't think it will hurt my pride much on a ride from NC to NM and back ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #662
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,920
My Z Technik Sport screen works well and looks good too.
Decent smooth air.
None of this barn door stuff.
Check 'em out.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #663
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
My Z Technik Sport screen works well and looks good too.
Decent smooth air.
None of this barn door stuff.
Check 'em out.

Nice! I like the looks of that and the fact it isn't a giant floppy dildo waving in the wind like most of these screens. Looks just a tad bit more aggressive than the stock screen, I wouldn't mind trying out one of those.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #664
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
I agree that the f650/800 looks better and the airflow is smoother with a short screen, I have two of them. But after an hour at 60+mph or in cold, rainy weather the direct wind blast has a real detrimental effect on your comfort and endurance. Thus we have touring screens. I like the free feeling of wind on my face but would never consider riding on a trip or in the cold without my big ol' non floppy touring shield.

There are only six bolts (and no nuts) holding the windshield on. You can change it out in ten minutes tops and have the best of both worlds..

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 12-18-2010 at 08:26 AM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #665
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Last year at the BMW Ralley (when it was in TN) Z Technik was there with most of their line of screens and allowed folks to bolt them on their bikes and take a test ride. They do that for a small number of rallys every year.

The schedule may be on their website.

After dinking around and sending back a couple screens, I've concluded I'll either need a try-before-buy, or a money-back guarantee (which I beleive Madstad offers)
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #666
tex99999
Ferryman

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
I agree that the f650/800 looks better and the airflow is smoother with a short screen, I have two of them. But after an hour at 60+mph or in cold, rainy weather the direct wind blast has a real detrimental effect on your comfort and endurance. Thus we have touring screens. I like the free feeling of wind on my face but would never consider riding on a trip or in the cold without my big ol' non floppy touring shield.

There are only six bolts (and no nuts) holding the windshield on. You can change it out in ten minutes tops and have the best of both worlds..
I agree with Jim, as touring is what I am doing all winter. I did the first half of my trip with the stock screen and suffered the cold and deafening buffeting. I read this entire thread when I was looking for a shield for touring (which this thread is). I was intrigued by one riders use of the robobrackets to trying and make his own adjustable windshield. Unlike some inmates I wasn't financially prepared to spend $800 on a TT screen or the same amount being a beta tester for you guys. I needed an adjustable screen and thats exactly what I got - plus the bonus of the aluminum fairing for summer or adding a smaller shield. Am I the only (except TJ) that doesn't think this is the perfect and affordable solution?

Madstads shield do not flop - it's every bit as stable as the stock screen, has more adjustability than ANYTHING else out there and has a great thick aluminum fairing that can be used by itself when the shield is not needed or wanted. I also think it compliments the F's industrial look. (the same reason I would never put Jesse panniers on this bike).

It's obvious that many people are using there Fgs's for many different reasons - some trucking them to spots to be used as oversized dirt bikes, some commuting, some touring and some a mixture of everything. I use mine for everything (thats why the F800 was my choice). I don't have the luxury of being able to rides in the summer (I work 80 days straight) but consequently I have the fall and winter to ride and for the most part I am enjoying it.

I thank everyone who has posted to this thread - you made my decision easy - no uber expensive German fairing and no buy and try (although Mark would have gladly changed the screen when I picked it up).

Madstad had produced 9000 windshields so I think all this floppy nonsense crap should be put to rest and you guys need to look at a quality American TOURING screen that you won't pay an arm and a leg for.

Jon
Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #667
wazowski
GaaaSssss

Oddometer: 10
I just installed the Doken screen and I'm very happy with it. No wind on my face, no noise...I can ride at 140 kmh with the visor up.

The screen is made in Japan and, as far as I know, there is no dealer in the USA. There wasn't either here in Spain until last week.

If any of you are really interested in it, you can ask at ventas@unobike.com. I think they sell worldwide.

wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #668
wazowski
GaaaSssss

Oddometer: 10
More pics:

wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #669
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazowski View Post
More pics: ....

Interesting ... can you convert the Spanish price to an approximate price in USD?

Thanks!
Jim
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #670
hormigo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Interesting ... can you convert the Spanish price to an approximate price in USD?

Thanks!
Jim
It's $285
hormigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #671
FlatBroke
No Guts No Gravel

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex99999 View Post
I agree with Jim, as touring is what I am doing all winter. I did the first half of my trip with the stock screen and suffered the cold and deafening buffeting. I read this entire thread when I was looking for a shield for touring (which this thread is). I was intrigued by one riders use of the robobrackets to trying and make his own adjustable windshield. Unlike some inmates I wasn't financially prepared to spend $800 on a TT screen or the same amount being a beta tester for you guys. I needed an adjustable screen and thats exactly what I got - plus the bonus of the aluminum fairing for summer or adding a smaller shield. Am I the only (except TJ) that doesn't think this is the perfect and affordable solution?

Madstads shield do not flop - it's every bit as stable as the stock screen, has more adjustability than ANYTHING else out there and has a great thick aluminum fairing that can be used by itself when the shield is not needed or wanted. I also think it compliments the F's industrial look. (the same reason I would never put Jesse panniers on this bike).

It's obvious that many people are using there Fgs's for many different reasons - some trucking them to spots to be used as oversized dirt bikes, some commuting, some touring and some a mixture of everything. I use mine for everything (thats why the F800 was my choice). I don't have the luxury of being able to rides in the summer (I work 80 days straight) but consequently I have the fall and winter to ride and for the most part I am enjoying it.

I thank everyone who has posted to this thread - you made my decision easy - no uber expensive German fairing and no buy and try (although Mark would have gladly changed the screen when I picked it up).

Madstad had produced 9000 windshields so I think all this floppy nonsense crap should be put to rest and you guys need to look at a quality American TOURING screen that you won't pay an arm and a leg for.

Jon
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why so many 800GS owners keep spending their hard earned cash for non-adjustable windshields that "may" work or spending an unbelievable $800.00 on one that will work, when they can get a fully adjustable shield that's well built, mounts solid, not barn door huge, doesn't have a hole in the middle, can be easily removed in less than 60 seconds for off road, is made in the USA, and works unbeliveably well for $300.00. At 6' 2" with a 34" inseam, it transformed my bike from good to almost perfect. I have yet to hear of anyone that has one that didn't work for them. If there is someone who is not satisfied with theirs I would like to hear why. I'm sure there is someone out of 9000 people, but I have yet to hear about it. There might be some who don't care for the appearance, to each his own. I suppose that's when you have to decide if you want to ride it or look at it.

If the facts don't fit the theory,change the facts. "Albert Einstein"

2009 BMW F800GS---backroad bomber
2004 Victory Kingpin---Sat. night & 2 up cruiser
2000 Kawasaki KLR 650---Daily beater
FlatBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #672
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,920
Interesting some have such tall screens. When they get all dirty you will not be able to see through them - too tall!
A proper screen you should be looking over the top edge seated.
I rode with some KLR's off road. They could not see through their tall screens (muddy filthy ride).
They had to stand to see.
You can't always stand through your various sections...
Especially with these heavier bikes where many of us are dog paddling through the technical sections.
Total wind and cold protection seems ridiculous to me. I don't get that.
Heated gear and the proper outer gear for me.
JMHO
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #673
tex99999
Ferryman

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Interesting some have such tall screens. When they get all dirty you will not be able to see through them - too tall!
A proper screen you should be looking over the top edge seated.
I rode with some KLR's off road. They could not see through their tall screens (muddy filthy ride).
They had to stand to see.
You can't always stand through your various sections...
Especially with these heavier bikes where many of us are dog paddling through the technical sections.
Total wind and cold protection seems ridiculous to me. I don't get that.
Heated gear and the proper outer gear for me.
JMHO
Yes Max you are absolutely right. I look over the top of mine and looking over the top I can see 20 feet in front of the bike - even closer than we were supposed to be looking in the safety course. The mud has to go somewhere? I think on my windshield would be preferable to my face shield or goggles - then you would be FF.
You have the option to lower the screen for your off road sections. It would take about 5 minutes to lower and 10 to get back into position.
With my current skill level, if I had to paddle through a technical section then the bike would be on the ground anyway and I'd have perfect visibility.
Keep in mind this thread is "Touring Windshields". That means riding fast all day in whatever weather for many days at a time.
For the moment I have been riding without heated gear (this will change) and have been comfortable with both screens. Though now I am not beat up by buffeting or deaf at the end of the day.

Jon

ps you don't even ride with hand guards - your resistance to sub freezing temperatures must be a lot better than mine.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #674
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
The thread is about touring screens. The purpose of a touring screen is to protect the rider at highway speeds. "Tall" to me means that the top of the screen is level with my moustache, so my view is over not through, but the wind flow is deflected over my head.

If I were primarily a dirt rider, I probably would not use a touring shield, but I'm primarily a pavement rider so I do.

Like I said before, there are only 6 well bolts holding them on so it's quick and easy to change from one type to the other. The FGS is flexible --you can rig it up to go all dirt, all pavement or any combination your heart desires.

If you are not interested in touring screens, then please have the courtesy not to be judgemental against those of us who are.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #675
Pyranha7
Shiny Side Up, Right?

Oddometer: 15
ZTechnik Short Sport Screen

I went with the ZTechnik Short Sport Screen. It is a night and day difference at all speeds compared to stock, but a 2" taller screen would be more helpful at 75+ MPH. Most of my riding is below 75 MPH, so I would rather have a screen that doesn't dominate the front end of the bike and bounce around in high speeds/wind. FWIW I am 5' 8". I would also suggest working with your dealer/supplier. BMW of Denver let me try all the different sizes out. I paid for one, installed it in their parking lot, tested it on the highway, and then came back for the next size to repeat the process. That was a tremendous help in choosing the right one for me.

Photobucket

2010 BMW F800GS

South Park's 12th episode of their 13th season is proof that there is still some truth in television.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...e12-the-f-word
Pyranha7 is offline   Reply With Quote