Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #676
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazowski View Post
More pics:

That's a nice looking screen.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #677
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I like that Doken screen - would be nice if there was a NA distributor, but I couldn't even find a website translator on their site

anyone happen to have the Vario touring windscreen (adjustable up/down) on a f800/658gs with HDB handguards? I had the madstad on mine until I put the HDB guards on - they unfortunately hit the shield solidly either direction so the madstad had to go (of the two, definitely prefer the handguards!). Just looking for what will work now with these particular handguards
Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #678
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb View Post
I like that Doken screen - would be nice if there was a NA distributor, but I couldn't even find a website translator on their site

anyone happen to have the Vario touring windscreen (adjustable up/down) on a f800/658gs with HDB handguards? I had the madstad on mine until I put the HDB guards on - they unfortunately hit the shield solidly either direction so the madstad had to go (of the two, definitely prefer the handguards!). Just looking for what will work now with these particular handguards

What did you do with your Madstad screen
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #679
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
What did you do with your Madstad screen
sent it back - it was within 90 days of purchase. it's a nice setup, though to be honest I never got time to put in a long ride and really dial it in - the robobrackets were a bit confusing and for a while I thought I had them at the tallest setting yet the shield (18") was way too low (LOTS of buffeting) ... got tired of that and loosened up all 4 bolts on those brackets and discovered through rotating them around and around the extra 2-3" of travel

probably should've messed around with trimming the shield to fit the HDB's, but decided not to risk it since other than shipping costs I could return it.

would definitely recommend the system though, it's very solid and well built
Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #680
gomz1971
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wind Turbulence

Hi there, I was looking for answers for a problem I experienced in my last trip. I have a 12" Dark tint windshield by Ztechnick in my F800GS and at 100 mph I experienced very disturbing turbulence. I thought the problem was the small windshield but other two 650GStwin had the touring windshield by BMW and experienced exactly the same problem. I know this bikes aren´t for touring, but someone has any idea what can be done? does the problem reduces without the sidecases??
Thanks for your help and hope to post here more often.

Ricardo
Cuernavaca, Mexico.
gomz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #681
mAthosalas
Costas

Oddometer: 97
Few days ago I decided at last to make my move.I wanted so much the Desierto but,holly God is not coming to ground these days...So the best solution for me was the Wunderlich's vario Touring screen.That was one I like as it looks and it is ideal for my height to avoid the air smashing on my face and body.
So I copy some photos,to have it and help all who may want to make the same purchase.
Something I really like is that you can see through it without any illusions inside...

That is the "look"

and that is a VS photoshop how is looking the stock,the Wund lower position and higher position...

and I also take a shot how it seems going a short tour at Greece...

In my opinion,for my height 6.2ft it is ok.Touring in heigher position and in the city I'm lowering it and that is nice.

Hope it helps

mAthosalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #682
tex99999
Ferryman

Oddometer: 69
100 mph?!?

The problem is not your windshield, it's driving at what is probably 1 1/2 times the speed limit. They can be for touring but 100 MPH is not touring. Get a Hayabusa if you want to kill yourself....

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomz1971 View Post
Hi there, I was looking for answers for a problem I experienced in my last trip. I have a 12" Dark tint windshield by Ztechnick in my F800GS and at 100 mph I experienced very disturbing turbulence. I thought the problem was the small windshield but other two 650GStwin had the touring windshield by BMW and experienced exactly the same problem. I know this bikes aren´t for touring, but someone has any idea what can be done? does the problem reduces without the sidecases??
Thanks for your help and hope to post here more often.

Ricardo
Cuernavaca, Mexico.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #683
gomz1971
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex99999 View Post
The problem is not your windshield, it's driving at what is probably 1 1/2 times the speed limit. They can be for touring but 100 MPH is not touring. Get a Hayabusa if you want to kill yourself....

Jon
Jon, I understand your point and appreciate your comment. My question would still be: Have someone experienced turbulences at speeds of 90 - 100??? I was riding with other R1200GS and of course they had no problems like this.

Thanks,

Ricardo
gomz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #684
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Cee Bailey's Enhanced Windshield

I installed a Cee Bailey's enhanced windshield last fall. It uses the same metal bracket that BMW uses to mount their touring windshield. It works quite well and doesn't look too bad. You can order it in different sizes to get whatever works best for your height in the saddle.
Sorry about the crappy picture but it is the only one I have right now.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #685
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazowski View Post
I just installed the Doken screen and I'm very happy with it. No wind on my face, no noise...I can ride at 140 kmh with the visor up.

The screen is made in Japan and, as far as I know, there is no dealer in the USA. There wasn't either here in Spain until last week.

If any of you are really interested in it, you can ask at ventas@unobike.com. I think they sell worldwide.

Can you give us some specs on yourself? How tall are you. Us taller riders have having more problems finding the right screen. I am to the point where I am thinking about making my own.

Thanks
TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #686
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 500
I use my F650GS for touring back roads and dirt roads. Long days and all weather so I wanted great coverage/protection and cut buffeting fatique.
I went with the Aeroflow wind screen. it works great I highly recommend it for touring. It is to big for off road work.

it is also stable at over 100mph, the bike is absolutely stable, no head buffeting, put there is noticalbe wind back pressure on your back which is not noticable at 75mph
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #687
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

edit/edit: cee baileys shield no good either

Numb screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 04:50 AM
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #688
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I've gone through 6 laminar lips over the years with mixed results. They seen to work great on swept back sport bikes, not so well on upright touring shields. They do flip the airflow up a little but at the expense of distoring your line of vision, even with the top set below eye level. You also still have the problem with the flow coming up from under . I just never thought they did enough good to justify leaving them on my touring shields..

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 01:13 PM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #689
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the review - I got a "curt" response from laminar lip that basically told me to go away since I had a custom shield, and also emphasized not to bother them with any follow up questions to see if they had a product that might work - so I'll give wunderlich's product a try
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...t_Code=8110025

Numb screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 11:05 AM
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #690
OnTheRoad
Apmt Dweller

Oddometer: 46
Yikes....was considering moving from my F650GS Dakar to the F800GS in the hope that this would be a bigger better overall dirt/gravel/road touring machine. My biggest issue with the Dakar is the wind/buffeting issue while road riding. Sounds like BMW didn't make any improvements based on the banter I've read through so far. I've had three different screens on the Dakar and still no success. Sounds like many of these previous thread participants are having similar issues. I've learned my lesson after four riding seasons on the Dakar, through gravel, dirt, and I'll admit it, far too many kms on the road. If you're looking for wind resistance on a dual sport, you are simply riding it on the road far too often.
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote