Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #751
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Very cool. Which screen is this? I want one!

I've got the same color f8, would you mind posting another pic that shows a side/front view of the whole bike?

BuilderScott screwed with this post 04-17-2011 at 11:58 AM
BuilderScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #752
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post
Very cool. Which screen is this? I want one!

I've got the same color f8, would you mind posting another pic that shows a side/front view of the whole bike?

Crappy profile shot but this should give you an idea of the 'rallye styling'.

Here's the manufacturer: http://www.britanniacomposites.com/

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #753
Second chance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I really like mine.

I am really enjoying my Mirage 2 more and more everytime I take it out both on road and off road.
Second chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #754
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
I like the Mirage, but the way it over hangs the headlight... Looks to me like it won't work with many headlight guards.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #755
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Crappy profile shot but this should give you an idea of the 'rallye styling'.

Here's the manufacturer: http://www.britanniacomposites.com/

a little off topic, but remember when we were chatting outside the Seattle motorbike show... with Dave and those 2 other guys with the fuse thingy. Do you remember who those guys were and if they finished their product.

PS thanks again for the T-Shirt!

Mark
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #756
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
I like my Mirage 2 as well

I usually put it fully up for road use and fully down for off road.

I do have two minor complaints. First the screen is not that wide and your shoulders are out in the cold a bit (didums!). I'm thinking of some Nippy Normans Winglets for the winter. Secondly the two bolts at the back where the windscreen bolts to the frame were a problem ... I lost both nuts and one of the bolts. I just replaced them with slightly longer bolts and good nyloc nuts.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #757
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
We met Ian at the Vancouver Motorcycle show this winter and picked up one of his wind screens. Finally got around to installing it yesterday. Took longer to find the tools than it did to securely make the install.

Everything went together smoothly in about 30 minutes.

Fits perfect and works great.

Lowered for the dirt road portion of our test ride.

Looks good too.

New cock pit is screaming for a GPS mount and re-location of accessory switches.

Very stiff, no shaking or vibrating and it started raining on us so we were able to realize the benefits on the pavement too.

Highly recommended!
Thanks Wachs... Good write up!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #758
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Lance:
I hadn't thought about it, but yeah ... I guess you do have to pop the screen off to make an adjustment. Is it difficult to make sure the two sides are "even"?
Sorry JR,

I don't check this one every day...

Not too difficult. I used a level to make sure they were even side-to-side, then just kinda sighted from the side to see if the angle was the same. Probably not exact, but close enough for jazz...

Good Luck!

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #759
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,130
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themobb View Post
Sorry JR,

I don't check this one every day...

Not too difficult. I used a level to make sure they were even side-to-side, then just kinda sighted from the side to see if the angle was the same. Probably not exact, but close enough for jazz...

Good Luck!

Lance

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #760
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Here's the Wunderlich Vario. Pics taken yesterday on my first off road run of the year.

Will try to get some better ones on my next run.

I've noticed that this windscreen seems heavy, just wobbles a lot in rough stuff. I also have a crack on the right fairing right where the screen mounts to it.

The crack happened when I crashed (high side) last fall which also happened to break my Givi screen in three pieces.

I'll try to fix the rack tomorrow morning and go for another run to see if that helps to sturdy the screen up.

zaner32 screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 06:33 PM Reason: typos
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #761
zaner32
In over my head

Wunderlich impressions

So, I had a day off today to fix the crack in the right side fairing. The crack was a result of a high side crash where the Givi windshield I had on at the time hit the ground, breaking in three pieces, and cracked the fairing at the windshield mounting point. All I did was epoxy the inside of the fairing and filled up the crack at the windshield mounting point.

As you probably know, the top shield can be adjusted two ways, the first being the adjustment via the nuts on the front of the shield. I have mine set at max height. The second adjustment is via the clamp down cams behind the shield. These will give you about 2 inches of play.

I have mine set at max height with the first adjustment (in front of the shield) and use the second adjustment (cams) to vary the height depending on the type of terrain i'm riding.

So, late this afternoon, put on a 50-60 mile highway run and I gotta say that I like the windshield a lot. At the highest possible position, I had very little turbulent air. No problem riding with the visor open. It's a very big improvement over the Givi, as I don't get the rumble in front of my helmet at 50 MPH. Most of the time, I was going 65 to 75 MPH.

Standing up at highway speeds make you want to do the death grip on the bars, which means the shield is doing its job.

There are three things that bug me about this shield.

One is the wobbliness of the shield when riding off road. This is more than likely due to the heaviness of the adjustments brackets. The jury is still out on whether some backyard engineering can solve this. I have some brackets left over from the Givi shield that tie the headlight mount with the fairing windshield mount. Maybe I'll try those to see if it'll help with the wobble.

Two, is the cam adjustment will scratch the bottom shield. I had read about this before purchase on the wunderlich america site reviews, and it looks like this fell on deaf ears. This is a simple fix by finishing the job with more finesse. Shame on you Wunderlich.

Three, this one is a bit harder to explain. The front shield (clear) attaches to the bracket with some hardware mounted through rubber grommets. The hardware just didn't quite fit right. Even when tightening these fasteners down, the shield was still loose, the bolt was bottoming out. The fix required a trip to the hardware store (Canadian Tire in my case) to find some kind of hard rubber washer that could be mounted in order to tighten the hardware down. I found some stainless steel washers with rubber backing. They fit perfect. I think they're called a seal washer. They fit tight on the bolt and then once bolted down they create a nice seal. I'll have to remember these when I mount fuel bottles on my panniers.

I'll take some up close pics and post at some time in the near future.

In conclusion, if you do a lot of offroad, and stuff wobbling around in front of your face, bugs you, then this might not be the shield for you. If you slab a lot and need great wind protection, this thing works great for the money, and is adjustable so you can lower when you get to the rougher stuff.

zaner32 screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 04:03 PM Reason: typos
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #762
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Hey Zaner, how tall are you?

Would be very helpful if all the reviews included rider size specs.

Thanks ahead.
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #763
zaner32
In over my head

I'm 5'10" with 32 inseam. Arai XD3 helmet.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #764
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32 View Post
So, I had a day off today to fix the crack in the right side fairing. The crack was a result of a high side crash where the Givi windshield I had on at the time hit the ground, breaking in three pieces, and cracked the fairing at the windshield mounting point. All I did was epoxy the inside of the fairing and filled up the crack at the windshield mounting point.

As you probably know, the top shield can be adjusted two ways, the first being the adjustment via the nuts on the front of the shield. I have mine set at max height. The second adjustment is via the clamp down cams behind the shield. These will give you about 2 inches of play.

I have mine set at max height with the first adjustment (in front of the shield) and use the second adjustment (cams) to vary the height depending on the type of terrain i'm riding.

So, late this afternoon, put on a 50-60 mile highway run and I gotta say that I like the windshield a lot. At the highest possible position, I had very little turbulent air. No problem riding with the visor open. It's a very big improvement over the Givi, as I don't get the rumble in front of my helmet at 50 MPH. Most of the time, I was going 65 to 75 MPH.

Standing up at highway speeds make you want to do the death grip on the bars, which means the shield is doing its job.

There are three things that bug me about this shield.

One is the wobbliness of the shield when riding off road. This is more than likely due to the heaviness of the adjustments brackets. The jury is still out on whether some backyard engineering can solve this. I have some brackets left over from the Givi shield that tie the headlight mount with the fairing windshield mount. Maybe I'll try those to see if it'll help with the wobble.

Two, is the cam adjustment will scratch the bottom shield. I had read about this before purchase on the wunderlich america site reviews, and it looks like this fell on deaf ears. This is a simple fix by finishing the job with more finesse. Shame on you Wunderlich.

Three, this one is a bit harder to explain. The front shield (clear) attaches to the bracket with some hardware mounted through rubber grommets. The hardware just didn't quite fit right. Even when tightening these fasteners down, the shield was still loose, the bolt was bottoming out. The fix required a trip to the hardware store (Canadian Tire in my case) to find some kind of hard rubber washer that could be mounted in order to tighten the hardware down. I found some stainless steel washers with rubber backing. They fit perfect. I think they're called a seal washer. They fit tight on the bolt and then once bolted down they create a nice seal. I'll have to remember these when I mount fuel bottles on my panniers.

I'll take some up close pics and post at some time in the near future.

In conclusion, if you do a lot of offroad, and stuff wobbling around in front of your face, bugs you, then this might not be the shield for you. If you slab a lot and need great wind protection, this thing works great for the money, and is adjustable so you can lower when you get to the rougher stuff.
I have the Wunderlich Vario and agree with your review 100%. (I'm also the same size as you) It's an awesome screen for touring but it slaps around too much off road. The top variable part slaps against the main body. I also worry about what will happen when I drop the bike. The sides flare out, and although that's great for wind protection, I know it won't fare well in a drop. I have a feeling a good drop will result in the forces being transferred to the bikes side plastics.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #765
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVSearcher View Post
So ... just want to update my post, now when I have tested it.

I'm 5'11" tall with an inseam of 32", standard seat with an Airhawk 2 medium size so you guys can relate ...

Also using a Shoei XR-1100 helmet.

With the screen in the highest position I can ride with my helmet open to approx 40-50 mph, no buffeting at least up to 80 mph (Still is somewhat in between spring and winter here in Sweden, so no really high speed exercises )

Taking wind at my shoulders, but no problem according to me. Have the disturbed wind flow 2"-3" over my helmet in 80 mph. No screen rattle what so ever.

Perhaps above is possible to improve with another attack angel for the screen, time will tell.

So all in all ... I'm very pleased with it Can also add that my son riding the pillion seat didn't complain about any buffeting either.
Great, good-looking setup there, mate. Thanks for posting! That fairing looks good and practical. I'm a bit puzzled by the squeaky clean looks though. Where are the bugs and dust from usage? I'm incapable of keeping my ride that clean
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote