Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #796
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHS View Post
OMG

I have yet to buy the Madstad. Emailed them RE compatibility but no reply. Anyone out there successfully using HBD guards with the Madstad?

Inmates - This response from Madstad:

Hi Don,

I don't know about those hand guards specifically, no. We slimmed down the shield for hand guard clearance but even then there is no guarantee because the shield is movable, so it will depend on where you set it. We can't make all the shields super-narrow to clear all hand guards because they would end up too skinny to provide decent wind protection. You are right, our system is the only one that really works, but you really won't know for sure about your guards until you try it. If at that point there is an issue with the shield, we can make you a modified one with a slight inward curvature exactly where you need it. That way we will know exactly where the guards touch given the final position you have set it at.

Best regards,
Mark Stadnyk
MadStad Engineering
(352)608-4069
http://www.madstad.com
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #797
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
You can take a took at the clearance I get from the Madstad + barkbusters. The screen is all the way forward to allow the handle bar to lock and for the laminar flow thingy......

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #798
DonHS
Adventurer

OMG - Thnx for taking the time post the pics. Much appreciated.

With the screen set "out front and away" is there still adjustment to move up? In other words, can it be set "full out" and "full up", or is there a compromise to made between the two settings? And if there is a compromise will the guards still clear?

Thnx ahead.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #799
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHS View Post
OMG - Thnx for taking the time post the pics. Much appreciated.

With the screen set "out front and away" is there still adjustment to move up? In other words, can it be set "full out" and "full up", or is there a compromise to made between the two settings? And if there is a compromise will the guards still clear?

Thnx ahead.
yes you can set it higher when extended.
you should check w. madstad just to be sure.
i checked my bike in the parking lot a few hours ago, i still have about 1 inch of clearance from the windscreen and the bark buster.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #800
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Mirage 2 owner here

I just got a Mirage 2 and I am trying to figure out how to mount my Zumo 660 to the designated "heads up" panel. Obviously this will involve some drilling and cutting but I am not sure what kind of bracket to buy that will flush mount on that plastic shelf that exists? Any ideas. I guess if you want to remove that area as indicated by Mirage you would have to cut the whole thing off. Not sure why one would do that.. So far I like the adjustable screen. Now I want the Nav mounted properly..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #801
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Velcro?????

Give them a call and ask them.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #802
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
I just got a Mirage 2 and I am trying to figure out how to mount my Zumo 660 to the designated "heads up" panel. Obviously this will involve some drilling and cutting but I am not sure what kind of bracket to buy that will flush mount on that plastic shelf that exists? Any ideas. I guess if you want to remove that area as indicated by Mirage you would have to cut the whole thing off. Not sure why one would do that.. So far I like the adjustable screen. Now I want the Nav mounted properly..
There's a mirage 2 thread where Ian post... might be worth posting over there.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #803
DonHS
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
yes you can set it higher when extended.
you should check w. madstad just to be sure.
i checked my bike in the parking lot a few hours ago, i still have about 1 inch of clearance from the windscreen and the bark buster.
Thanks again OMG. I'm placing an order.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #804
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
You can take a took at the clearance I get from the Madstad + barkbusters. The screen is all the way forward to allow the handle bar to lock and for the laminar flow thingy......

Nice, did you go with the 18" or 20" model?

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #805
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryRed View Post
Nice, did you go with the 18" or 20" model?
18"
I'm 5'8"
I think 18" would be good for most people.
I think the madstad site has the height v. screen size suggestions.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #806
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
18"
I'm 5'8"
I think 18" would be good for most people.
I think the madstad site has the height v. screen size suggestions.
Yeah they do. I found it after I posted the question.

Therefore for riders under 6'0" (<183 cm) we recommend this 18" (450 mm) shield which measures 17-3/4" tall (451mm) x 16-1/4" wide (413mm). For taller riders 6'0"/183cm and above we recommend the 20" (500mm) shield which has the same width, just an extra 2 inches of height.

So the 18" smoked version is looking more and more like a winner.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #807
RedRoad
SoCalRider

Oddometer: 5
Cee Bailey's Enhanced 22" windscreen for F800GS

Cee Bailey's Enhanced 22" windscreen for F800GS

Had this windscreen for about a month now. It really transforms my riding experience, on the freeway at 85 was a real challenge and now it's relatively effortless. Some background, I spent a good 100 plus hours researching shields. I settled on the Cee Bailey based on positive responses from other ADVRiders as well as a general effort on my part to support local "California" business. I plan on riding to Canada from California this Summer and was definately looking for something to help support those 3-4 hour stints on the major freeways. I'm 6'2" with a short inseam 32". So I could be more like an average 6'3"-6'4". The 22" screen pushes the air up and over me. I have a bout 2 inches of clean air over the top of my helmet. I wear a Shoei Hornet DS and can now ride with the shield up and some decent shades. I can also shoulder check for lane changes without having my head torqued back. All around a good choice for my longer trips. As far as around town riding, it would be nice to have a shorter screen. At <65 I really didn't have any issues with the standard shield. With the 22" screen those short trips around town feel a bit hotter in the +80 weather.

As for general dissadvantages to larger screens, theres definately some visual polution with the top edge of the screen in your lower vision. The top edge vibrates in the wind and you definately see it while riding. It's kind of like visual noise pollution. Youalso really notice the bug pollution on the screen and need to clean it regularly. I suppose this is better than all those dead bugs on your jacket and in your face.

Install was relatively straight forward though the instructions were poor at best. Cee Bailey's should put some more effort into a better install guide.

All in all a good choice for the big trips and highway travel.

A few pics of the big 22" screen.

RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #808
vidd
how was your lamb?

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
I really dont mean to be an ass, but I will say it. that thing just looks silly, comes off like a photoshopped snot bubble in a wind tunnel on a already 'distinctive' bike. Im barely 5'6 and the stock screens hate me, they are out to get me with a vengeance, but ... damn ... the answer has to be elsewhere
vidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #809
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Thumb Britannia Composites Mirage 2

I've been running the Britannia Composites Mirage 2 since November and I just put the new smoke windscreen on too. The original screen was good but there were circumstances where you could get the "right bad mix" and there was still a bit of buffeting (or actually dreaded XD peak vibes) for me.

The new screen is a big improvement!! It's a little wider (3/4" on each side), comes down lower and has a different scoop.

Not the greatest pics but you get the idea.

It works better in every situation. Wider, taller air pocket than before and less wind at the shoulders than before too. I even find I can now run my screen about an inch lower than before and get better coverage. There are times when I'm riding that it's so calm and quite behind the screen I'm shocked...honestly!

I'm 5'10" FYI and I think this newer screen will work much better for taller riders too. I still have about 2.5" - 3" of height adjustment left.

One of favorite things about this fairing is that you can slide down the screen for off-road very easily (less guillotine ). I don't even have to stop. I can push down on each side sequentially and push up form the bottom to put it back up for road use or fine tuning on the fly.

I'm not using the upper dash as a GPS mount though since I use a 60CX on a Ram mount so I can't comment on that.

Very happy with it!!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #810
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidd View Post
I really dont mean to be an ass, but I will say it. that thing just looks silly, comes off like a photoshopped snot bubble in a wind tunnel on a already 'distinctive' bike. Im barely 5'6 and the stock screens hate me, they are out to get me with a vengeance, but ... damn ... the answer has to be elsewhere
I agree. The most effective aftermarket screens for the tall(er) folk will also look ridiculous. I'm 6'2", I have the second to tallest VStream which doesn't look too horrendous, but it's also not tall enough for me.

Even looking at some other manufacturers, like this Cee Bailey's, and for my height, the screens are huge and very 'distinctive' to use your term
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote