Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #961
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
How tall are you?
5'9" Longer legs/shorter torso. If I duck it really gets choppy. If i raise up a little, I didn't notice much of a difference from sitting.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #962
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
You can't.

They are only available for purchase directly from the manufacturer, Britannia Composites, which is located in British Columbia, Canada. I received mine here in PA in about a week.
I live about 20 minutes from Ian's "factory" in BC, which I thought would be awesome for getting spare parts, fasteners that vibrated loose etc.

10,000 miles later - never a problem. The screen is even still scratch and haze free after commuting to work all winter.

Great product, and I love the GPS mount (and secret stash area )

Old 06-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #963
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Ian mailed me back super quick, I think I'm going to order it. It's expensive but the adjustable height seems to make it the very best option.

Sucks my GPS is already mounted though.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #964
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Ian mailed me back super quick, I think I'm going to order it. It's expensive but the adjustable height seems to make it the very best option.

Sucks my GPS is already mounted though.
So was mine (well, ram mounted). I moved it up to the mounting platform on the fairing and it's far superior. Puts it right in your line of sight, and the instruments are higher too.

The only caveat is - with a Zumo 660/665, anyway - the glare off the screen when the sun's behind you makes it unreadable. I think that's Garmin's problem more than anything because of the coating on the screen (I can read the bike's LCD gauge cluster just fine). You'll probably find tipping the GPS forward a bit makes a big difference, and installing some kind of sun shield over it will probably help too.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #965
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
So was mine (well, ram mounted). I moved it up to the mounting platform on the fairing and it's far superior. Puts it right in your line of sight, and the instruments are higher too.

The only caveat is - with a Zumo 660/665, anyway - the glare off the screen when the sun's behind you makes it unreadable. I think that's Garmin's problem more than anything because of the coating on the screen (I can read the bike's LCD gauge cluster just fine). You'll probably find tipping the GPS forward a bit makes a big difference, and installing some kind of sun shield over it will probably help too.
Mine is installed with one of these so it would be a pair to move:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6234/618/
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #966
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
I heard that the Wunderlich Vario flops around a little at speed -- is that an issue? Also how is it without the spoiler? I'm about 180 cm.
1 you really have to tighten the screws and bolts
2 no problem, it moves a little but which tall screen doesnt?

I am very happy with it, offroad I lower the screen on large tours or holidays, if i play in the sand i remove the screen as with any other screen I had in the past.

Flopping around, nah, so nu issue at all for me. I can really advise this if you have the same hight as me of smaller
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #967
OnkelPopanz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
How is the wind noise for you with the mirage?
OnkelPopanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #968
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnkelPopanz View Post
How is the wind noise for you with the mirage?
Here's my 2 cents: when you get the adjustable screen in your own personal "sweet spot" it's light years better than the stock shield. That said, there's still some minor buffeting, but you'll be hard pressed to sit behind any windshield and not experience that IMO. I'm pretty sensitive to it, and it's been very comfortable. You can easily ride highway speeds with your visor up, however you can still take a bug in the eye. Or a rock.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #969
No Drama
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ztechnik

I'm thinking of installing a Ztechnik screen on my 2008 F650GS. I'm 5 6.
I'm thinking ztechnik as I can purchase local (Perth, West Oz) and I like the idea of polycarbonate.
Any advise is welcome.

The short sports (Z2432) only comes tinted, it appears very dark in the images seen on this thread. Any issues with looking through the screen when required or reflection on the screen?

The short touring (Z2434) is currently my preferred choice. Can anybody of a similar height let me know how much protection it gives? I have TT handguards fitted. Will the screen clear the guards at full lock?

Would anyone recommend going for the medium touring screen (z2435)? I don't want to look through the screen.

Thanks
Jane
F650GS
No Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #970
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Just sent payment for the Mirage 2. I'm excited...part of my ride home is a frickin' WIND TUNNEL. I honestly encounter more wind on my daily commute for 30 minutes than I do on entire adventure rides!

Too bad I waited so long to order I have a 600 mile ride this weekend.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #971
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Drama View Post
I'm thinking of installing a Ztechnik screen on my 2008 F650GS. I'm 5 6.
I'm thinking ztechnik as I can purchase local (Perth, West Oz) and I like the idea of polycarbonate.
Any advise is welcome.

The short sports (Z2432) only comes tinted, it appears very dark in the images seen on this thread. Any issues with looking through the screen when required or reflection on the screen?

The short touring (Z2434) is currently my preferred choice. Can anybody of a similar height let me know how much protection it gives? I have TT handguards fitted. Will the screen clear the guards at full lock?

Would anyone recommend going for the medium touring screen (z2435)? I don't want to look through the screen.

Thanks
I had the tall Ztech.... it was hitting the mirrors.... looked like an alien head.....and bobbled like the front brake res.... Off it went.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #972
Machete-LC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
OEM Tall + Wunderlich Spoiler

Not sure if anyone else is running this setup but I have had great success with it. Can ride at highway speeds with the visor open, still get adequate venting. Plus with a couple of turns I can increase airflow.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #973
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 172
Question OEM Tall + Wunderlich Spoiler

I have been thinking about trying the same. My bike had the BMW touring screen but it so noisy I took it off and used a F658GS screen (painted flat black). The short screen is quiet but offers no weather protection. Have a hwy drone ride planned to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP and was thinking of picking up the Wunderlich Spoiler.

I see you have a dished seat. How tall are you, and is your seat equivalent to the the BMW low?

I have a raised seat height on my XPC racing seat for my 6'3" height and wondered if the spoiler would be enough.

Kyle
11Husqvarna TE 449
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #974
Machete-LC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Rrr View Post
I have been thinking about trying the same. My bike had the BMW touring screen but it so noisy I took it off and used a F658GS screen (painted flat black). The short screen is quiet but offers no weather protection. Have a hwy drone ride planned to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP and was thinking of picking up the Wunderlich Spoiler.

I see you have a dished seat. How tall are you, and is your seat equivalent to the the BMW low?

I have a raised seat height on my XPC racing seat for my 6'3" height and wondered if the spoiler would be enough.

Kyle

Hey Kyle,

Actually I have a Corbin seat which is much wider and feels like a taller seat to me. If I put my stock seat on I can easily flat foot the bike, with the Corbin I am on the balls of my feet. Huge difference in the seating position and comfort though.

Without the spoiler the tall OEM windscreen was louder than the stock (at least for me) due to ridiculous buffeting. It really drove me crazy and I had taken the tall windscreen off to get "clean air". It is amazing what a difference that little spoiler made, I can hear my exhaust and even listen to my IPod without turning it up too loud. Best $115 bucks I have spent in a long time.

To answer your question I am 5' 10", 34" inseam. Long in the legs short on the top.

MG
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #975
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,462

Classic TT one. I'm 6"0 and it's just right.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote