Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #1157
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavman View Post
Hiya guys, I am pretty tall 6.2ft, with some rather longish inseam . Anycase, I have the following combination: F800GS/Touratech High Seat and Touratech Touring Windshield. At highway speeds, the stagnation point on my helmet is close to my mouth air-vent, which leads to a lot of bugs on the visor and a lot of strain on my neck....and after slouching a lot to get into the calmer air, my back is starting to hurt.

Time for a new windshield -> it is either between the Desierto 3 (800 bucks), or a MRA X-creen (250 bucks), that appears to be similar. Honestly I am tempted to go for an MRA X-creen and put the rest into a GPS and/or new riding pants. The Desierto is so sexy, but it is also the most expensive shield out there (crazy?)

Wondering if anyone here has experience with the MRA X-creen windshield...and can tell me at the very least if it is actually bigger (taller) than the Touratech touring shield? I only need another 2-3 " of winshield and the airload should be bearable.
I'm selling my MRA if you are interested.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #1158
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Cee Bailey (after 6 days) hadn't answered my email question about whether or not their shield works with BarkBusters, so I called them. The answer? They simply said "it will not work" without any further explanation. SIGH

So what I've done now as an interim (and if it works, final) solution is to order a Laminar Lip for the BMW Touring screen that I've got. Should have it in a few days and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

If it works, I like the fact that it can easily be removed for really hot days or off-road use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
The 18" Cee Bailey windscreen fits well with BMW hand guards, if that is any reference.

Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1159
poppy510
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Bluhduh Cee Baileys Fit

Anyone have trouble with the fit of the 18 inch Euro Cee Baileys? I got one for my 2009 F650GS and found that the angle and position of the side mounting holes was way off.

Original:

Cee Bailey Fit:

poppy510 screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:09 AM
poppy510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #1160
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,998
Cool2 That's so weird...

...I had a completely different experience with Cee Bailey's. I had good and quick email response. Quick delivery. Perfect fit. Mine was for the 2013 F800GS. Cee Bailey's developed and released the windscreen for the new model over the winter. Thumbs up on all counts from me. You would think their service and products to be fairly consistent. Over the past decade, I'm a 3 time buyer of Cee Bailey's windscreens. No complaints.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #1161
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades View Post
Eagerly awaiting your feedback, I'm very close to ordering one!
Re. the Mirage II, I've had one for about 1 1/2 years, and I love it. SO much better than the BMW "touring" (notice the quotes?) screen. I can now hear my engine on the freeway, ride with the visor open at highway speed if I choose, and not worry about being pummeled to death by wind on long trips.

Mounting a GPS is not difficult at all, especially if you have a Zumo 660/665 (bolt the mount right to the fairing), and it's also nice to have the instrument cluster up high and in front of you.

I think I've done about 20,000km since I got it, and not a problem was had. Not even a loose fastener.

As has been stated before, Ian at Britannia is great to deal with, and the product is well worth the money. IMO.

For reference, I'm about 5'-10" with a 32" inseam.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #1162
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Oddometer: 62
My poor mans laminar flow high screen mod to the stock w/s. Used a bit of screen from a previously crashed GS.

Mach Z screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 01:15 PM
Mach Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #1163
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Z View Post
My poor mans laminar flow high screen mod to the stock w/s. Used a bit of screen from a previously crashed GS.

looks great!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #1164
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
I agree .. that's clever!

How's it work!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #1165
drcjj
n00b

Oddometer: 2
F800GS tour windscreen

Great Forum...

Just installed, on my 2013 F800GS, the PowerBronze windscreen and can say that at 6' tall and a long torso it has dramatically increased the helmet noise and buffeting above 45mph while offering some body protection from the elements unlike the stock screen... It was quite reasonable in pricing ($140) and made in England as near as I can tell by the packaging.... as yes it looks good to me on the bike.

The lack of structural support allows for a lot of flex and vibrations up top at higher speed (60mph and above) so I can see why some other brands have the metal support bracket on the taller screens. I appears that the aero dynamic ridges that the C Baily and stock BMW screens have add to the rigidity.

I may have to continue my search and give another brand a go but would rather stick with this unless I find something obviously better... If I crouch down behind it for a few miles it seems fine, so a shorter rider might find it perfect... but I don't plan to ride in that position for long periods even with a tank bag to rest on... I like a more upright position.

I do plan to have my seat rebuilt by a local shop here in Denver (Bitchen Stitchin) which specializes in MC seat repairs/ customizing and plan to have them lower the stock seat an inch which may make a difference... on the highway I like to sit back further on the seat than what the normal BMW lower seat seems to be designed for... it pushes me to far forward to be comfortable... of course the stock seat is as hard as German stone so I hope to improve on that... also I want be able to get a foot on the ground quicker without having to move too far forward on the seat... not possible with the stock seat from my favorite riding position.

This bike is new to me having put only about 400 mies on it so far... My previous '08 650 X Country was much easier to ride with a lower seat and with more compliant suspension but thought I'd go with something more highway friendly and yet enjoyed off road riding. I love the smoother 6 speed of the F800gs , the tech features and the engine sounds this thing makes... I am not used to this bike yet so I am taking one step at a time with the mods I am making.

The stock Michelin Anekee II tires are going to have to change, at least on the front end before I go off read and I'll need a bash plate too so any suggestions from others on for these would help. Thx

PS... 4.27.13... Just Mounted the Wunderlich Wind deflector screen extension on the PowerBronze screen and rode it today... OMG what a difference! Not a perfect fit on the powerBronze screen but usable, and functions perfectly, very well made and highly adjustable, finally a solution that works for me!!! Looks ok, not perfect but a huge improvement in buffeting once I got it dialed in.

drcjj screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 10:01 PM
drcjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1166
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcjj View Post
Great Forum...

Just installed, on my 2013 F800GS, the PowerBronze windscreen and can say that at 6' tall and a long torso it has dramatically increased the helmet noise and buffeting above 45mph while offering some body protection from the elements unlike the stock screen... It was quite reasonable in pricing ($140) and made in England as near as I can tell by the packaging.... as yes it looks good to me on the bike.

The lack of structural support allows for a lot of flex and vibrations up top at higher speed (60mph and above) so I can see why some other brands have the metal support bracket on the taller screens. I appears that the aero dynamic ridges that the C Baily and stock BMW screens have add to the rigidity.

I may have to continue my search and give another brand a go but would rather stick with this unless I find something obviously better... If I crouch down behind it for a few miles it seems fine, so a shorter rider might find it perfect... but I don't plan to ride in that position for long periods even with a tank bag to rest on... I like a more upright position.

I do plan to have my seat rebuilt by a local shop here in Denver (Bitchen Stitchin) which specializes in MC seat repairs/ customizing and plan to have them lower the stock seat an inch which may make a difference... on the highway I like to sit back further on the seat than what the normal BMW lower seat seems to be designed for... it pushes me to far forward to be comfortable... of course the stock seat is as hard as German stone so I hope to improve on that... also I want be able to get a foot on the ground quicker without having to move too far forward on the seat... not possible with the stock seat from my favorite riding position.

This bike is new to me having put only about 400 mies on it so far... My previous '08 650 X Country was much easier to ride with a lower seat and with more compliant suspension but thought I'd go with something more highway friendly and yet enjoyed off road riding. I love the smoother 6 speed of the F800gs , the tech features and the engine sounds this thing makes... I am not used to this bike yet so I am taking one step at a time with the mods I am making.

The stock Michelin Anekee II tires are going to have to change, at least on the front end before I go off read and I'll need a bash plate too so any suggestions from others on for these would help. Thx
Welcome to the other side......

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #1167
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,816
Dave make a really nice skid plate among other fine stuff.

http://www.motooverland.com/
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #1168
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I am 5'5", 30" inseam and wear a Schuberth S2 helmet. I bought the Moose racing windscreen (+4") primarily due to its price $71 shipped from Revzilla. The build quality of the screen is good, its 4.1mm thick (compared to 3.9mm stock).

In terms of performance, the windscreen reduced buffeting for me at upto 40mph significantly. Over 40mph, specially at highway speeds, it was only slightly better. This is a cheap solution for anyone looking to reduce buffeting at low speeds. At highway speeds, you'll need to look for something else. I think I'll try the Mirage 2.

Compared to stock:
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #1169
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcjj View Post
Great Forum...

Just installed, on my 2013 F800GS, the PowerBronze windscreen and can say that at 6' tall and a long torso it has dramatically increased the helmet noise and buffeting above 45mph while offering some body protection from the elements unlike the stock screen...
You are happy that the windscreen increased the noise and buffeting?

Welcome to the club!
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #1170
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,320