Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #1201
Trailblazin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Just installed the Madstad. I adjusted it every possible way and I always get a little bit of buffet on the top of my helmet. It's not serious it just feels like someone is tapping my helmet every half second. I even put the shield as high as it would go and I was looking right through it and tried to dip my head low to find the sweet spot but there is always that tapping. Is this normal? I guess I was expecting to have no turbulence at all.

I returned a cee-baileys because the turbulence on the top of my helmet was even greater but the cee baileys actually kept the wind off my body even better than the madstad. The buffetting was way worse and giving me headaches and blurry vision.
Trailblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #1202
poppy510
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Try tipping it back slightly. 60 degrees worked for me.
poppy510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #1203
poppy510
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Mine is set at mid height. Level with my chin. The air flows up and over. I am 5-10.
poppy510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #1204
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
You are doing something wrong. Chin/nose high should be plenty.

Maybe you set it too upright. I set mine about same angle as the black plate with a 1.5"-2" gap between.
Did you install the side deflectors? They are necessary at speed to counteract the under flow or you will get some buffeting
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #1205
Trailblazin
Adventurer

I literally tried every single possible angle.. winglets installed. I spent 3 days adjusting it. I still get a small amount of turbulence. I'm 5'11. You guys have 2013's? They changed the fairings a bit so its probably from that.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #1206
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Maybe a helmet issue? If you have a different style helmet, try switching to see if it makes a difference.
I set my shield a tad low just to get a little air into the helmet vents so little noise is normal but never has any buffeting.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #1207
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
finally got out to ride this morning to test the new setup. Perfect. Absolutely no buffeting whatsoever. Just smooth air. Exactley what I was looking for.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #1208
Trailblazin
Adventurer

do helmets really cause buffeting though?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #1209
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazin View Post
do helmets really cause buffeting though?
?

The helmets don't, it's everything in FRONT of the helmets. That can include windscreen, fairing plastic, hand guards, mirrors, etc. Tracking down the source of your buffeting is really difficult sometimes - it can be caused by a combination of seemingly innocuous things. If you really want to know what's going on with your airflow, tape a few pieces of cassette tape to your fairing, windscreen, handlebars etc. You may be surprised by what you see. A good example is my R1200R - there are two scallops in the front of the gas tank to allow fork clearance which literally ram air up under your helmet. You'd never look there for buffeting, but there it is - or part of it, anyway.

It also bears noting that when manufacturers claim a helmet is "very quiet", all the testing was done in a wind tunnel with perfectly clean airflow, not behind the aerodynamic version of a barn-door, surrounded by clusters of equipment creating extremely dirty airflow.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #1210
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
tape a few pieces of cassette tape to your fairing, windscreen, handlebars etc.
What's a cassette tape? Should I go ask my grandfather?

I'm more old school than you are--I use 45 adaptors for my tests.

Seriously, +1 on your comments. I had a 2005 Sportster that generated the worst helmet buffeting of ANY bare bike I've ever ridden. And my naked 1979 SR500 was smooth as silk at any speed. <-- airflow, of course.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #1211
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I put my brittania composites mirage 2 on the 2013 f800 last week. I am 6'3" and 34" inseam. I was worried at first as I had some buffering on top of my helmet with the screen all the way up and travelling around 110 km/hr. I had my preload set pretty stiff, so I increased the sag and went for a cruise. It was way better. The air just passes me. I'm pretty sure the visor was causing the buffetting. There is a bit of pressure and buffet on the shoulders, but nothing against the chest or head. That coupled with the ability to lower it for off road, plus the dashboard for GPS and switches makes the screen a big winner for me. Plus I really like the looks. It's really wierd, but it looks much better in person than in pics... No pics, but there are ma y on this site, so...
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #1212
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by toniguedes View Post
Hi,
I´ve been using the WRS windscreen for some time now, but only for my daily commute at urban low speed areas, occasionally topping 120 km/h. At those speeds, the noise inside my helmet was reduced a lot, as well as the buffeting. Since then I´ve been able to use my Cardo G4 to listen music at a much lower volume...
The finish is very good and the material appears to be very resistent to scratches, but the windscreen originaly shakes a bit, so I´ve installed the bwm touring windscreen support...Actually, I´m very satisfied with this combination (WRS + bmw support) plus Touratech handguards.

Regards

That setup looks about ideal for what I was thinking! I hate most of the aftermarket windshields because they look so...generic. Same dull rounded lines, unlike this one and the PowerBronze, which strive to mimic the same OEM angular "look". Anyone know of a North American distributor/retailer for this screen?

Failing that - anyone want to join in and try to come up with some sort of group buy??

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn

ADVCanuck screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:48 PM
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1213
Cristix
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Turbulência

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniguedes View Post
Hi,
I´ve been using the WRS windscreen for some time now, but only for my daily commute at urban low speed areas, occasionally topping 120 km/h. At those speeds, the noise inside my helmet was reduced a lot, as well as the buffeting. Since then I´ve been able to use my Cardo G4 to listen music at a much lower volume...
The finish is very good and the material appears to be very resistent to scratches, but the windscreen originaly shakes a bit, so I´ve installed the bwm touring windscreen support...Actually, I´m very satisfied with this combination (WRS + bmw support) plus Touratech handguards.

Regards

Olá Toni! sou aqui de SP.
cara, vc está gostando desta bolha? qual a sua estatura? gostaria de saber como fica a turbulência no capacete.. minha altura é 1,81m... recentemente comprei uma bolha na motobolhas, do sul, mas achei q ela gera mta turbulencia.
estou no Facebook, no F800GS Brasil, tem uma galera interessante trocando dicas lá... valeu! Cristiano Cezar

Guys from the Forum, sorry for the portuguese...I was asking him about the turbulence, reggarding his height. thanks!
Cristix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #1214
toniguedes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristix View Post
Olá Toni! sou aqui de SP.
cara, vc está gostando desta bolha? qual a sua estatura? gostaria de saber como fica a turbulência no capacete.. minha altura é 1,81m... recentemente comprei uma bolha na motobolhas, do sul, mas achei q ela gera mta turbulencia.
estou no Facebook, no F800GS Brasil, tem uma galera interessante trocando dicas lá... valeu! Cristiano Cezar

Guys from the Forum, sorry for the portuguese...I was asking him about the turbulence, reggarding his height. thanks!
Hello Cris,

In my case, the WRS windshield totally solved the turbulence/buffeting problem (I'm also 1,81m height), but there are still some wind noise at highway speeds above 120km/h. Changing to better helmet (Shoei Neotec) and attaching a Wurderlich spoiler at the top of the windscreen helped a lot to minimize the noise at high speeds.
The next step will be to buy a 4mm acrylic board and try to make a better integrated spoiler

I'll send you a PM, so we can talk in portuguese
toniguedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #1215
GeeK_InsiDe
Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer: 239

Wunderlich Ergo Screen Iron Man on a 700GS.
GeeK_InsiDe is offline   Reply With Quote