Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #1216
MplsMoto
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by thleon View Post
The option mounting the GPS over the instruments makes it a good option.
do you believe that it will be possible to mount it on the other models?

Sorry to digress, but I just installed the Touratech locking Montana GPS holder on the 800GSA. Keep in mind it's a 16mm diameter bar on top. I mounted mine in portrait mode and had to make a custom backplate spacer as the release mechanism was bottoming-out. I also had to mod the SS clamps for the larger diameter. Works great though, lines-up nicely in my line-of-site.

I'll have photos on the f800 GSA problem solver thread soon.
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #1217
MplsMoto
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
That said, please post any info on success with screen extensions on SPECIFICALLY for the f800GSA. (I started another thread on this question, but many of the responses were for non-GSA bikes f800's).
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #1218
Beatlunch
n00b

Oddometer: 7
8GS Adv screen tests?

I'm 6'4", 36" inseam, have a Renazco seat which puts me up another inch beyond stock - curious about any feedback from someone who has done the GS-A windscreen conversion - is it a true 'plug and play'? How's the protection, wind noise, buffeting, etc.?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #1219
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlunch View Post
I'm 6'4", 36" inseam, have a Renazco seat which puts me up another inch beyond stock - curious about any feedback from someone who has done the GS-A windscreen conversion - is it a true 'plug and play'? How's the protection, wind noise, buffeting, etc.?
Bumping this to see if anyone has actually done the conversion.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #1220
maximuski
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcjj View Post
I just installed a Wunderlich Screen extender ($129) on my PowerBronze screen for that extra 2-3"... not a perfect fit due to the center molded shape of the screen, however... OMG it works fantastic to stop the buffeting and is very well made and adjustable. I rode it up over 80mph and the powerBronze screen flexes quite a bit but it makes a huge improvement in airflow.. I would give it a go... I imagine you could return it if you didn't like it. Good luck!
Could you please share sone pics of your assembly? I switched from the low seat to the regular one and now I need to raise my powerbronze about 2 inches

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
maximuski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #1221
Deezel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Aeroflow + BarkBreakers = Fail

I installed my tall aeroflow touring screen on my '09 F650GS, then my barkbreakers... only to find that they are incompatible. The barkbreakers hit the screen brace before reaching full turn. So I take off the barkbreakers and but my touratech handguards back on ... and they hit the screen brace too. So I put the barkbreakers back on, and take off the aeroflow. I put the screen I originally had back on (it's an F800 screen) only to find that the barkbreakers hit this too... but juuuust barely. I've decided to leave it as is while I search for another touring screen solution. Sadly, I have a set of Hippo Hands on the way, which might make even this setup unworkable. I'm going to call aeroflow tomorrow to see if they have an answer. If not, I'm going to have to do more research. Talk about bummed. I was really looking forward to the new screen! If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.
Raleigh, NC
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." ~ Lao Tzu
Deezel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #1222
Schai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelfish View Post
I installed my tall aeroflow touring screen on my '09 F650GS, then my barkbreakers... only to find that they are incompatible. The barkbreakers hit the screen brace before reaching full turn. So I take off the barkbreakers and but my touratech handguards back on ... and they hit the screen brace too. So I put the barkbreakers back on, and take off the aeroflow. I put the screen I originally had back on (it's an F800 screen) only to find that the barkbreakers hit this too... but juuuust barely. I've decided to leave it as is while I search for another touring screen solution. Sadly, I have a set of Hippo Hands on the way, which might make even this setup unworkable. I'm going to call aeroflow tomorrow to see if they have an answer. If not, I'm going to have to do more research. Talk about bummed. I was really looking forward to the new screen! If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.
You could rig different support struts that clear the handguards. I have a pair of windshield supports that connect to existing frame bolts and sneak up through gap between the fairing and the fork tubes. They are just a pair of 3/8in diameter straight stainless tubing with flattened ends. The bottom ends are held by an existing bolt that holds the forward support structure to the frame and the top ends are bolted through a new hole the windshield. They are more inboard than the other struts.

Here is a shot showing the struts. The left side one really stands out against the garage door. Note that they clear my fairly beefy Highway Dirt Bike hand guards.

(click on funny oval icon for photo)
From BMW F800GS Misc

This shows the lower end connected next to the radiator overflow tank. Ignore the relay. It's not stock. It runs a pair of driving lights

(click on oval for photo)
From BMW F800GS Misc

(If you don't want to go that way, are you going to sell the AeroFlow? I've been playing with a CalSci and Madstad to get the quietest airflow. I'd like to test an AeroFlow too, but am not curious enough to buy a new one.)

Schai screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 02:52 PM
Schai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #1223
Deezel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Schai-
Great idea! Assuming the Aeroflow folks tell me that there is nothing they can do, I'm going to try your solution. If it doesn't work out, and they won't let me return it, I'll PM you about selling the screen.
Raleigh, NC
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." ~ Lao Tzu
Deezel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #1224
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Just finished a test ride with my new Cee Bailey tall (20") windscreen and I got a tiny bit of buffeting around the side but the bulk of the flow just hits the top of my helmet. I think this is the one for me, much better than the Touratech tall touring screen (16").
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1225
Beatlunch
n00b

Oddometer: 7
any switches to 8gsa windscreens yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123 View Post
Bumping this to see if anyone has actually done the conversion.
Going to have to go to my dealer and sit on/ride one unless anyone has done the mod.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #1226
gspirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Beatlunch - it has been done on a 700GS, so it can be done on the 800GS. Don't know if any 800GS has done it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camponubla View Post
Hello,

The only thing I missed was the my ex-Vstrom, the wind protection, I've solved installing the F800 adv windshield. The protection is greatly improved!!

Kind regards,
link to above quote
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939929

2013 F800GS
gspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #1227
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
new way to reduce buffeting on the GS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
Just finished a test ride with my new Cee Bailey tall (20") windscreen and I got a tiny bit of buffeting around the side but the bulk of the flow just hits the top of my helmet. I think this is the one for me, much better than the Touratech tall touring screen (16").
Get rid of the dual sport helmet's with visors !

Not kidding. Like many others here I struggled with the lack of comfort at higher speeds on my 800GS. I got the Mirage fairing two years ago and while it helped a lot and is a great piece of kit.. I was still getting the bobble head effect on the highway at speed and if there was any wind involved it felt at times un-safe. I had been wearing a Shoei Hornet exclusively on the 800 because hey.. its a dual sport bike.. ya have to get a dual-sport helmet... WRONG !
I just got a new Shoei Neotech ( not picking on Shoei here.. its all I wear) and I took the bike out with both helmets on the same stretch of the interstate here in Arizona and I was "blown away" by the difference. The Neotech, which is a modular and not even the quietest helmet out there, was substantially smoother and quieter. It was a revelation. My theory is that most dual-sport helmets with visors are fine and better for off-road riding with the bigger eye-ports and peaks and visors but those items are not what you want when riding at 75 MPH. I sold my Hornet and will never ride again with out a regular full face helmet. It was that obvious to me. YMMV
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #1228
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspirate View Post
Beatlunch - it has been done on a 700GS, so it can be done on the 800GS. Don't know if any 800GS has done it though.

link to above quote
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939929
Very cool, glad I checked back in on this thread. Is the GSA windscreen/bar a bolt-on deal or did it require some fabbing?

Edit: DOH! Just saw your link to that post. Thanks!
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #1229
ferntree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcjj View Post
I just installed a Wunderlich Screen extender ($129) on my PowerBronze screen for that extra 2-3"... not a perfect fit due to the center molded shape of the screen, however... OMG it works fantastic to stop the buffeting and is very well made and adjustable. I rode it up over 80mph and the powerBronze screen flexes quite a bit but it makes a huge improvement in airflow.. I would give it a go... I imagine you could return it if you didn't like it. Good luck!
What made you get the regular wind deflector instead of the vario deflector? I have a powerbronze too and am debating getting the wunderlich extender as well. 6'4" 34" inseam.
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #1230
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Get rid of the dual sport helmet's with visors !
Easier just to remove the visor. It is quieter that way, but I like the visor and am usually on the highway just to get somewhere to ride offroad. So far the Cee Bailey does the trick for me.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote