Thumb

I love this thing.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
wow both the der. and the ridleys look fantastic

I hope they get a lot cheaper or I get a lot more rich!
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,935
This baby is COOOOOOL!

Discussion points.
*Who cares what a Whizzer is worth, this is different!
*Look at the reliability with a Honda motor and parts availibility.
*Exclusivity.
*Uniqueness = status = snob appeal, to some people
*Mountain bike frames can cost more.
*If the company folds, you have an instant collectable.
*How much is your average Vespa?
*No license requirement.
*Imagine cruising South Beach, or Venice, or Santa Cruz, or the Hampton's on that, ya think the chicks might notice?
*I vote "YES"

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #19
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Brakes

I have been looking closely for brake suitable to stop 50cc and me. How do the brakes function? are they internal drum?
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #20
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
motor

I believe mnd's point is that that is not a Honda motor in that picture. If you look through their gallery you will notice 3 or 4 different motors being used. The picture of the bike at the beginning of this thread has the $150 ebay motor.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Hey, I just got one of these. Found it very, very lightly used for under 1/10th of what it cost new (with a color matching helmet). It certainly looks as good or better in person. I don't know exactly how they justify the price, but part of it is in a killer paint job. The motor is a Honda GX50 and the seat is a real Brooks saddle. Many of the other components though are just crap. Chinese hardware, an all plastic throttle with crap plastic internals. Cable routings and linkages that don't make any sense, drive chain rubs on the tire. The rear sprocket is mounted to the spokes and with 2 HP I can't believe the wheel will stay true for long. It is clear that Derringer does not MAKE anything. It is all parts you can buy online and you could make one yourself. The motor is about $750 though and the seat is close to $200. The bicycle cost whatever beach cruisers cost- and it's pretty sturdy. The gas tank is cool, good Sturmey Archer drum brake up front, crap coaster brake for the rear wheel that coughed up blood thefirst time I used it hard. Pretty neat springer front end that works. And again, great paint, so it would be pricey to make one yourself- and any sane builder would not go the distance with some parts being such high quality and others being so bad.

Whoever cluged this together was new to making vehicles, that's or sure. The details are not well thought out, but it should not take much at all to make it right. Maybe very reliable in fact. The Honda mill is as solid as all things Honda, the clutch I need to research- it kinda stinks like "clutch" when it's hot which might not be good. All the cheap components can probably be replaced with good stuff for very little money or effort. The cost new isn't even close to justifiable but for $300 it was a steal. It certainly does attact a lot of attention- my wife looks good on it. I have not yet taken it out without somone trying to buy it from me.

So that's my new rider impression of the Derringer. It makes good living room art when not in use too!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
She's a beaut Clark!Wouldn't buy one but she is sweet to look at.
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,045
From the Motorized Bicycle forum, someone grafted a Harbor Freight, 200 c.c. industrial engine into a custom built bike frame.

I hate to think what this would cost retail, it's got a couple months of hours work into it.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
From the Motorized Bicycle forum, someone grafted a Harbor Freight, 200 c.c. industrial engine into a custom built bike frame.

I hate to think what this would cost retail, it's got a couple months of hours work into it.

And don't forget about Rebuilder"s thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619303

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #25
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
I used to ride one of these! I've still got it in parts in storage. It has the Honda GX50 Chinese clone with a Schwinn Jaguar from Target.

It was fun for a while.

The Good is that bad boy got over 200 MPG! Got a 1 gallon tank barley ever filled it up! No joke, and thats with mostly WFO riding! Nearly twice what a Honda Ruckus gets! And it only cost $500 ready to ride including the bike unlike the $2,500 Ruckus 50 cc! Stock top speed was a little bit slow, about 30-35 MPH. I modded it with a smaller rear sprocket, straight pipe, air filter, etc and I got it to run past 40 MPH. The best part it it requires No Registration, No Drivers License of Any kind [This Includes ANY license, don't even need an automobile permit! IN CA!], No insurance, and you can legally ride in in the Bike lane in the city as long as you watch out for other bicycles! MUCH better than riding a 49 cc Scooter on the road! Another benefit is you don't even need to wear a DOT approved Helmet [Again in CA], only a Bicycle Helmet goes! You may also ride it on a Specific bicycle trail [Like the ones that go through parks and such with only bicycles] as long as you pedal when there are other cyclists near by, have a quiet exhaust and go no more than 15 MPH. How cool is that on a bike that can go up to 40 MPH and achieve 200 MPG+? Plus with the stock muffler its VERY quiet.

Now for the bad. It was slow. No gears at all, no CVT tranny, just 1 gear and an automatic clutch. This makes for poor acceleration and hill climbing abilities. Now they tell you it goes right up hills with a 350 pound man stock on the site, this is not so. I weighed only 190 pounds back then, and with the stock 56 tooth rear sprocket it wouldn't pull any hills with me at WOT. Strangely I could back off on the throttle a tiny bit and get more power on hills! I would have to pedal and help it get up them hills. No big deal a little exercise doesn't hurt! But its annoying at times. With the aftermarket 42 Tooth sprocket I had to slowly get me to 40 MPH forget about hills! Now that wind! That REALLY slows you down! It could struggle into strong headwinds and gusts. Down to 30 MPH and under. Off the line? Stock gearing, pretty bad, my gearing horrible. A person could outrun you from 0-10 MPH. 10-28 MPH is ok, about the same as a 50 cc Scooter. Speed isn't great, but a stock 35 MPH and a possible 44 MPH with mods is ok. Brakes? Stock bicycle Chinese brakes not so great. Quality? It wasn't great or terrible. Typical Chinese quality though, maybe slightly better. Motor was actually pretty good though.

Installation was pretty easy.

Overall a cool little city bike. Now if only they could add maybe an internal 3 speed Gearbox [Not those setups that used the bike's gears they don't work great], or a CVT and a bigger motor maybe 100 cc would be the magic number. Theres a guy in my town that rides around on what looks like a CRF 100 powered Schwinn Stingray. I had him at 55 MPH on my Motorcycle! 5 Speeds for the motor and decent power with a proper sized rear sprocket.

Here it is at my old house:

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #26
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I used to ride one of these! I've still got it in parts in storage. It has the Honda GX50 Chinese clone with a Schwinn Jaguar from Target.

It was fun for a while.

The Good is that bad boy got over 200 MPG! Got a 1 gallon tank barley ever filled it up! No joke, and thats with mostly WFO riding! Nearly twice what a Honda Ruckus gets! And it only cost $500 ready to ride including the bike unlike the $2,500 Ruckus 50 cc! Stock top speed was a little bit slow, about 30-35 MPH. I modded it with a smaller rear sprocket, straight pipe, air filter, etc and I got it to run past 40 MPH. The best part it it requires No Registration, No Drivers License of Any kind [This Includes ANY license, don't even need an automobile permit! IN CA!], No insurance, and you can legally ride in in the Bike lane in the city as long as you watch out for other bicycles! MUCH better than riding a 49 cc Scooter on the road! Another benefit is you don't even need to wear a DOT approved Helmet [Again in CA], only a Bicycle Helmet goes! You may also ride it on a Specific bicycle trail [Like the ones that go through parks and such with only bicycles] as long as you pedal when there are other cyclists near by, have a quiet exhaust and go no more than 15 MPH. How cool is that on a bike that can go up to 40 MPH and achieve 200 MPG+? Plus with the stock muffler its VERY quiet.

Now for the bad. It was slow. No gears at all, no CVT tranny, just 1 gear and an automatic clutch. This makes for poor acceleration and hill climbing abilities. Now they tell you it goes right up hills with a 350 pound man stock on the site, this is not so. I weighed only 190 pounds back then, and with the stock 56 tooth rear sprocket it wouldn't pull any hills with me at WOT. Strangely I could back off on the throttle a tiny bit and get more power on hills! I would have to pedal and help it get up them hills. No big deal a little exercise doesn't hurt! But its annoying at times. With the aftermarket 42 Tooth sprocket I had to slowly get me to 40 MPH forget about hills! Now that wind! That REALLY slows you down! It could struggle into strong headwinds and gusts. Down to 30 MPH and under. Off the line? Stock gearing, pretty bad, my gearing horrible. A person could outrun you from 0-10 MPH. 10-28 MPH is ok, about the same as a 50 cc Scooter. Speed isn't great, but a stock 35 MPH and a possible 44 MPH with mods is ok. Brakes? Stock bicycle Chinese brakes not so great. Quality? It wasn't great or terrible. Typical Chinese quality though, maybe slightly better. Motor was actually pretty good though.

Installation was pretty easy.

Overall a cool little city bike. Now if only they could add maybe an internal 3 speed Gearbox [Not those setups that used the bike's gears they don't work great], or a CVT and a bigger motor maybe 100 cc would be the magic number. Theres a guy in my town that rides around on what looks like a CRF 100 powered Schwinn Stingray. I had him at 55 MPH on my Motorcycle! 5 Speeds for the motor and decent power with a proper sized rear sprocket.

Here it is at my old house:

[IMG][/IMG]
Yup considering the moto laws of various states, Cali is pretty lax about mopeds and conversions. I used to have a Velo-Solex that my in-laws borrowed for couple years in Cali. I'd visit and run that thing through several tanks because of all the places you could ride.

In Oregon it was a ticket magnet.

I miss that bike even though it was a clumsy and had an ancient technology friction drive. They were possibly the most minimum motor vehicle made, not much had changed since the first one was made in the 50's.

Oh that Merkel replica is just so cool, it too much engine in my estimation but it's still awesome.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #27
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post

I like that gas tank.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #28
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
A really good motorized bicycle forum:

http://www.motoredbikes.com

A fellow here in Indiana has built some really beautiful bikes like the Derringer and pics can be seen at this forum.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com

Woodsrat screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 01:06 AM
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #29
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Cool! Wouldn't want one,especially at that price, but I do like seeing different motorized bikes.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #30
Snarky Yarbles
n00b

Oddometer: 2
YamaGeek

Could you post a link to the thread from Motorized Bicycle forum from which you got that picture of the Harbor Freight, 200 cc bike build? I did a search there, but couldn't find that bike build. I'm interested because I'd like to do a similar build using the HF predator 99cc and would like to know more about mounting the engine vertically like that.
Snarky Yarbles is offline   Reply With Quote