User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Keith OP
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 837
My BRP needs a better headlight!

I'm running a supermoto setup on my pig. Commuting at night isn't fun with the Acerbis Cyclops headlight I have on it right now.

I have a 7" HID that I'd like to put on, but am pretty sure everyone in their right mind would be flashing their highbeams at me.

I'd kinda like to do something like the dual 8" baja style headlights. Could a pair of round 55/60 6.5" halogens do the trick?

I guess the better question would be: What do you guys use and like for your thumper? And how does it work at 75/80mph on the freeway?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
cevquit
maphead

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I'm running a supermoto setup on my pig. Commuting at night isn't fun with the Acerbis Cyclops headlight I have on it right now.

I have a 7" HID that I'd like to put on, but am pretty sure everyone in their right mind would be flashing their highbeams at me.

I'd kinda like to do something like the dual 8" baja style headlights. Could a pair of round 55/60 6.5" halogens do the trick?

I guess the better question would be: What do you guys use and like for your thumper? And how does it work at 75/80mph on the freeway?
BD dual 4" halogens with a flood for the low and a spot for the high is what Im running on my LC4
Old 11-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
turbo_bird
I'd rather be riding.

Oddometer: 114
I'm building a setup for my 650R using a pair of 4" tractor lights from NAPA. It will be similar to the BD setup with the frame around the lights, but I might build another one without the guard if I don't like the way it looks. I will be using a 80 watt spot and a 50 watt flood for hi/lo beam.
Kristian
turbo_bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
collie man
mo fire!!

Oddometer: 335
if you have a place to mount a ballast

i am running 2 hid lights on my 640 adv...you can buy just the bulb and ballast and continue to use your existing housing.I ran my for 3800 miles of dirt on the tat .i had to make a buffer ballast holder for jumping etc,but they have been solid and good to me... check em out ,xenon link.com i think...numerous bulbs to choose from..good luck
Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Keith OP
Slabbing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie man
i am running 2 hid lights on my 640 adv...you can buy just the bulb and ballast and continue to use your existing housing.I ran my for 3800 miles of dirt on the tat .i had to make a buffer ballast holder for jumping etc,but they have been solid and good to me... check em out ,xenon link.com i think...numerous bulbs to choose from..good luck
You are running those in the 50mm projectors that come stock with the 640A, right?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
bimotakid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Dual 8" Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith

If you like the Baja dual headlight look, I would recommend Baja Design's set up. I purchased a set for my XR. The halogen halogen type works very well... They are much cheaper than the HID's. I have used them on the street and trail and really like the look and function. Note that you will be adding an extra 12 lbs, as they attach to the forks legs. My next project is to have a bracket welded on to the frame, mounting these beauties off the frame, will allow transferring the weight from the steering to the frame.
Attached Images

bimotakid screwed with this post 11-16-2008 at 02:24 PM
bimotakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 390
I have a single Baja Designs 8" Halogen and Im very happy with it. Im still running the 55W bulb but its been enough for on road riding at night and the tight new england trails. I can see needing more light for full speed desert running, but like I said, its been fine for road riding for me.
Its nice that you can adjust it while moving too. I usualy just tweek it down if itlooks like Im blinding on coming drivers.
STFU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,001
+1 on the single 8" light from either Baja Designs or Trailtech. Just adjust on the fly so your not blinding anyone.

Here's my 8" Trailtech unit.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Texspeleo
Opportunivore

Oddometer: 257
I'm going Trailtech on my upcoming XC-W project.

Cheers----Chris
Texspeleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #10
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Here's a few of my setup, 8" halogen from TT:

And my daytime running light guard.

husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
New Trick
A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer: 61
My BRP needs a better headlight!

I've been running the Trailtech 8" halogen. It works quite well. When riding with a pack, I'm always put up front. Very reasonably priced also. Got the stator rewind to 250 w. Plenty of power for this light.
Attached Images

New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
Stevevh
Kudu Driver

Oddometer: 283
I have been running the 8inch Trailtech for over 2 years now and it has been a great light. My only complaint is with the lack of any sealing on the rear of the light, so water and dust can get in. The stock rubber boot worked good as a replacement though. My brother has inherited it for his Husky as I am going for a different look altogether!!!

Stevevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Keith OP
Slabbing it

Well, hell. I'll try this 7" HID that I have.
If'n that doesn't work, I'll check out the trailtech or B.D. 8" setup.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimotakid
If you like the Baja dual headlight look, I would recommend Baja Design's set up. I purchased a set for my XR. The halogen halogen type works very well... They are much cheaper than the HID's. I have used them on the street and trail and really like the look and function. Note that you will be adding an extra 12 lbs, as they attach to the forks legs. My next project is to have a bracket welded on to the frame, mounting these beauties off the frame, will allow transferring the weight from the steering to the frame.
Sweeet bike. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Ha Huskey123,

thanks again for the help with the rear fender tool bag. I've been testing for LA/Barstow/Vegas and it is still holding on. I used their front number plate bag for mounting on top of my 8" B.D. light for light stuff and it works great.

Take care and thanks again for the help. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote