ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #166
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,006
Bravo!

vatrader01,

Excellent photos and write-ups!

I rode over to Buckhannon / Elkins / Seneca Rocks Thursday afternoon and photo'd several markers. I was just getting ready to post a few when I saw your newest additions. Thanks!

Sorry I've not had time to keep the master list updated - I had to run over to Mt Storm last week to grab the WV tag and work has been keeping me busy. (The latest honey-do is stripping wallpaper and re-doing the bathroom ).

Well, I'd better finish getting my latest markers posted. Thanks again!!!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #167
pnoman OP
Just Average

Lorentz - Upshur Co.

Located on Rt 33 about midway between Weston and Buckhannon. Not much information is available except what's on the marker.

Rt 33 is all 4-lane, with bits and pieces of the old 2-lane remaining along either side of the highway. For a 4-lane, it's a rather pleasant ride.

Historical Marker located on Rt 33 just east of the Upshur Co/Lewis Co line.

For more information on the Staunton=Parkersburg Turnpike: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/10351/

View westbound on Rt 33.

View eastbound (toward Buckhannon) on Rt 33.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #168
pnoman OP
Just Average

US Population Center - Upshur Co

As the westward expansion moved the population center in the same direction, it passed through WV on 4 consecutive censuses (census, censi? - whatever). This was the spot in 1840.

Historical Marker located on Rt 33 just east of the Lewis Co/ Upshur Co line (about 1 mile west of the Lorentz marker in the previous post.) Located on the westbound lanes.

View west on Rt 33.

The Center of Population has moved westward at about 100 miles per year, and now resides in Phelps Co, Missouri. To see the different population centers throughout the past 200 years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_ce...tes_population
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 AM   #169
pnoman OP
Just Average

Buckhannon - Upshur Co

Population appx 7,500. Located 30 miles south of Clarksburg and 25 miles west of Elkins along the new Rt 33 Corrider. Home of WV Wesleyan College, Strawberry Festival. Gained national attention in 2006 after the Sago Mine explosion (about 8 miles south) that killed 12 trapped miners. It's a nice town to walk around in - nice downtown area.

Historical Marker located in front of Courthouse in downtown Buckhannon. (Side 1)

Side 2 of same marker.

Courthouse (Historical Marker is located next to sidewalk on the right)

For more information on Buckhannon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhannon,_West_Virginia

For more information on Samuel and John Pringle: http://www.hackerscreek.com/pringle.htm

For more information on Thomas Walker Gilmer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Walker_Gilmer

For more information on the Sago Mine Disaster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sago_Mine_Tragedy
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #170
pnoman OP
Just Average

Barbour Co / Randolph Co Line - Rt 250/92

Located about 3 miles south of Junior, just north of the junction with Rt 33.

For more on Barbour County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbour..._West_Virginia

For more on Randolph County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolp..._West_Virginia

There are a lot of great roads in Randolph County, as it is really at the edge of the Allegheny Mountains. Anything west of Elkins is what I consider "foothills". Still lots of great roads, but not a lot of elevation change. Just east of Elkins are 4 mountains within Randolph County on Rt 33/55 alone - Shavers, Rich (lots of history there!), Middle, and Allegheny. All are between 2,000 - 3,500 foot elevation.

Historical Marker located on Rt 250/92 south of Junior. (Side 1)

View south on Rt 250/92 into Randolph Co. That's the Tygart Valley River to the right (See previous post on Grafton - Tygart Dam)

Historical Marker - Side 2.

View north on Rt 250/92 into Barbour Co.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #171
pnoman OP
Just Average

WV Children's Home - Randolph Co

Located near Davis & Elkins College on the west side of Elkins.

The following notes are taken from an article by the WV Dept of Agriculture:

The home was created in 1909 by an act of the Legislature and is the only state-operated residential youth facility in West Virginia . Annually, approximately 60 individuals come to the facility for 6-12 months each.
The West Virginia Children's Home provides residential social services to youth ages 11 to 17 from all 55 counties in West Virginia . The facility is licensed for 25 residents, and provides private rooms, semiprivate rooms and dormitory style housing.

Programs are tailored to individual needs, but typically focus on developing skills and techniques to help residents develop positive life skills and overcome unhealthy thinking and behavior. The home also includes a school that is fully accredited by the West Virginia Department of Education where residents are instructed in all required subject matter areas.

Historical Marker located southbound lane of Rt 219 entering Elkins on the west end of town.

WV Children's Home. Located 1/4 mile up the street where you turn off for the marker.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #172
pnoman OP
Just Average

Elkins - Randolph Co

Located where the Eastern Panhandle meets the main body of WV, about 30 miles southwest of the Fairfax Stone. Incorporated in 1890, and named for Senator Stephen Benton Elkins. Home of the Forest Festival each October. Home of Davis and Elkins College. As you are heading eastbound, it is sort of the gateway to the Allegheny Mountains, as there is more elevation change just east of the city. Population: 7000. Elkins is a great "home base" for exploring WV, as many great rides are north (Thomas, Davis), east (Seneca Rocks, Petersburg, Smoke Hole, Franklin), and south (Cass, Green Bank, Webster Springs, Marlinton). It's hard to go wrong from here!

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkins,_West_Virginia

Historical Marker located along the main highway through town (Rt 250/219/33/55) at the courthouse.

Better view of the courthouse.

View west on Rt 251/219/55/33 as it passes through Elkins.

Old train station in the downtown section.

Still a nice downtown area - WalMart hasn't killed every Main St (yet).
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #173
pnoman OP
Just Average

Big Lime and Big Injun Sands - Randolph Co

Located on old Rt 33 near Bowden Fish Hatchery, about 8 miles east of Elkins.

Excerpts from "A Handbook of the Petroleum Industry":

Big lime (of Kentucky, West Virginia, southern Pennsylvania and southeastern Ohio).—The geologic formation which is the Maxville limestone in southeastern Ohio and the Greenbrier limestone in West Virginia, and which may be continuous with the Ste. Geneviève and St. Louis limestones of Kentucky, must not be confused with the Big lime of the Central Ohio fields, which is of Devonian and Silurian age and not of Mississippian. The Big lime which is now being discussed is a formation which is generally productive in southeastern Ohio, often 'in the same areas in which the underlying Keener is productive. In Martin, Floyd and Knott counties, Kentucky, it is important from the standpoint of natural gas, which is contained in a thin lens of tan sand lying in the midst of the limestone. The thickness of the Big lime in Ohio and West Virginia ranges from a few feet up to 100 feet or more; but in Kentucky it is sometimes over 1000 feet in thickness.

Big Injun sand.—About 1200 feet below the Pittsburgh coal is the Big Injun—one of the thickest sands in the Appalachian basin, ranging from 50 to more than 400 feet. though not as important a producer as some other sands. It attains its best development in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, although it exists in eastern Kentucky and Ohio. It is productive at many places in southeastern Ohio. It is rather coarse in texture, and in many places contains pebbly layers which constitute the "pays." The Big Injun is generally water-bearing, and wells in it may be drowned out by the influx of water. In some places it is separated by shales into several sands. It belongs in the Mountain sand group of northern Pennsylvania; at Washington, Pennsylvania, it is called the Manifold sand, while its geologic equivalent is the Burgoon sandstone of Pocono age.

Historical Marker located on Old Rt 33 near Bowden Fish Hatchery.

Same sign, different view.

View of the rock formation and turnoff.

View eastbound on Old Rt 33. The end of the new 4-lane is about a mile ahead.

This section of Old Rt 33 is an interesting detour from the new 4-lane that extends east from Elkins. It starts at the top of the first mountain as you are heading east out of Elkins, and comes out at the very end of the 4-lane about 5 miles later.

Check out Bowden Fish Hatchery while you're there. http://www.randolphcountywv.com/Agri...shHatchery.htm
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #174
Belg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01

Marker is located on Leetown Road, Jefferson County WV at the intersection of Leetown Rd and Paynes Ford Road.

General Adam Stephen is credited with founding the community of Martinsburg, WV, where he later moved. On a lessor known note, General Stephen was "cashiered" [sword broken, court martialed] for a friendly fire incident where his men fired upon General Anthony Wayne's troops. Seems General Stephen was drunk at the time of the advance. Against orders, he also instigated an attack on "Cliveden", the home of Benjamin Chew. These incidents happened during the Battle of Germantown, Germantown, PA.

Following the Confederate retreat from Antietam, General Jeb Stuart and his staff made camp at The Bower, which at the time was the home of Stephen Dandridge. A horse bred at The Bower was given as a gift to General Lee to use when his primary mount, "Traveler," needed a rest. That horse was the well known "Lucy Long."
The Bower remains in the Dandridge family.

Hahahah

So that was an ADV'er. In the second picture, on the left hand side, in front of the white building (That's the smokehouse, and may well be the oldest building in Jefferson County), Is me wondering if you're coming up the driveway to say hi... My GS was parked not too far off my right shoulder.

LOL

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420371

http://www.terrawolf.com/ for pictures
http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com Our Farm
http://www.natural-horse-training-methods.com for horse training information
Belg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #175
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Fairfax Stone

Marker is located in Tucker County, on US 219 .25 miles south of WV Route 9 on the right driving north.

The inscription reads:

This monument, at the headspring of the Potomac River, marks one of the historic spots of America. Its name is derived from Thomas Lord Fairfax who owned all the land lying between the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers. The first Fairfax Stone, marked by "FX", was set in 1746 by Thomas Lewis, a surveyor employed by Lord Fairfax. This is the base point for the western dividing line between Maryland and West Virginia.

Headspring of the Potomac River.
From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_Stone#References

The Fairfax Stone is located in Fairfax Stone State Park, just north of the marker.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #176
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
The Blackwater

Marker is located in Thomas, Tucker County WV on Route 219 / 32 near the bridge.

More information on the falls can be found here:

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #177
pnoman OP
Just Average

Randolph Co / Pendleton Co Line - Rt 33/55

Located at the summit of Allegheny Mt. between Harmon and Seneca Rocks on one of my favorite roads to ride in all of WV, Rt 33/55.

Historical Marker westbound entering Randolph Co. on Rt 33/55.

What a view! Harmon is just ahead about 5 miles. There is a cool old house just on the other side of the knoll to the left. I always thought that would be a great place to live.

Same marker, eastbound heading into Pendleton Co. Look at the list of great destinations: Seneca Rocks, Smoke Hole, Spruce Knob.

Eastbound entering Pendleton County. Also the summit of Allegheny Mt (Elevation 3295 ft) and the Eastern Continental Divide.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #178
pnoman OP
Just Average

Big Lime and Big Injun Sands (Harmon) - Randolph Co.

The same inscription as the previous marker just east of Elkins by Bowden Fish Hatchery (See Post # 173). This marker is located on Rt 32 north of Harmon, appx 1/4 mile from the 3-way junction of Rt 33/55 and Rt 32.

To read more about the Big Lime and Big Injun Sands, go back to Post #173.

Historical Marker located on Rt 32 1/4 mile north of Harmon.

I had to maneuver around to get this shot - to avoid all of the garbage that has been thrown out in this turnoff across the road from the marker. It looks like the place to dump your unwanted "stuff".
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #179
pnoman OP
Just Average

Tory Camps / Seneca Trail - Randolph Co

The term Tory or Loyalist was used in the American Revolution to describe those who remained loyal to the British Crown. At the beginning of the war, it was estimated that as much as 40% of the American population were Tories.

To read more about Tories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory

The Shawnee Trail was the white settlers' name for an American Indian trail in what is now eastern West Virginia. The name Shawnee came after said group of Native Americans followed the trail our of the region after burning Fort Seybert in Pendleton County, WV. It was a segment (or branch) of the much larger Indian trail network known as the Great Indian Warpath (GIW), which stretched from New York to Georgia. The GIW was referred to from this point north as the "Seneca Trail". Thus, in pioneer days, the segment known as the Shawnee Trail was often also referred to as the Seneca Trail.

To read more about the Seneca Trail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawnee...(West_Virginia)

Historical Marker located on Rt 33/55 about 2 miles west of Harmon. (Side 1 - You are facing west if you are reading this) I rode around looking for the camp remains for an hour with no luck. The closest I think I got was a locked gate just off CR29.

Looking westbound on Rt 33/55 starting up Rich Mt. (A whole history lesson in itself, from what I'm beginning to understand)

From the top of Rich Mt, looking east toward Harmon. The Historical Marker would be about 2 miles ahead and to the left. The Tory Camps would have been in this valley.

Side 2 of the same marker. You are facing east if you are reading this.

View eastbound on Rt 33/55. Harmon is just ahead about 2 or 3 miles.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #180
pnoman OP
Just Average

Seneca Rocks - Pendleton Co

Possibly the most-recognized landmark in all of West Virginia, Seneca Rocks is located about 35 miles due east of Elkins.

Seneca Rocks is part of a series of outcroppings known as the "River Knobs" that extend from Cherry Grove to the Seneca Rocks area. There are several "razorback ridges" or "fins" along this line, including nearby Champe Rocks (see earlier Post). To read more about the River Knobs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Knobs_(West_Virginia)

Seneca Rocks features a 900-foot sheer face of Tuscarora Quartzite, which attracts serious climbers from all over.

For more information and history of Seneca Rocks, visit the Forest Service website: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/senrcks_txt.html

Seneca Rocks is very special to me because I used to bring my grandparents out here in the 70s and 80s from their farm in Petersburg. We would often come out on Sunday afternoon after church to picnic and watch the climbers.

When I retired from the USAF, they asked if I would like my retirement flag flown over the state capitol or Washington DC. I said I would like to have it flown over the Seneca Rocks Visitors Center. The Park Ranger at the time, Sue Grafton, graciously agreed, and now I have one more reason to be sentimentally attached to this site. I have it written in my will that my ashes be spread from the summit of the rocks. What better final resting place than this?

Historical Marker located on Rt 33/28 about 100 meters south of the intersection of Rt 28/55 with Rt 33/55 and Rt 33/28.

View of the Marker, Seneca Rocks Visitors Center, and of course, Seneca Rocks.

A little better photo from last fall.

View along the top - now you know why they call this formation a "Razorback" or "Fin".

My son and I on the summit. Great view!!!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 01:40 PM