ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #181
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
What a post. Thank you. Hope your son develops the sense of roots that you have.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #182
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
I picked up a few historical markers today. Just ones I already knew the location of. I've got a new book called "Marking our Past" that lists the locations and inscriptions on all of the makers. So now I can do more research and plan some trips.

First up today is one closest to me, already been shot by someone, but I swung by anyway. This is the "Old Stone House" which is a quick right off of Chestnut St. across the street from the PRT station.

A beautiful structure, today this is just a nick-knack gift shop.

Later,
Chrome...
WVChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #183
WVChrome
KLR Owner

After the Old Stone House, I dropped by the WVU Arboretum and snapped the University's own historical marker. No good way to get a shot with the bike in it due to the proximity of the road.

Practically anyone passing through Morgantown will pass this marker. It's located along US 19/WV 7 at the entrance to the Arboretum, just 50 yards or so past the Coliseum's parking lot.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #184
WVChrome
KLR Owner

After picking up my Alma mater's own historical marker, I decided to pick up the Mason-Dixon marker and the Pennsylvania marker. However, on the way I found another one.

Fort Pierpont was constructed in 1769 by John Pierpont a Revolutionary war soldier and the son-in-law of Zackquill Morgan. In 1784, George Washington stayed at the fort while exploring WV. Samuel Hanway the "Surveyor of Monongalia county" and Zackquill Morgan lended thier knowlege of the area to Washington who later wrote about the area in his diary.

The marker is located on CR-67 "Old Cheat Road." I followed Canyon Run Rd from Stewartstown Rd, and it was on the right where Canyon intersects Old Cheat Rd.

No bike shot in this one, I had to park just to the right outside of the camera's shot. Just to the left out of frame stands a stone monument giving more information about the fort.

Here is a close up of the text.

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 04:41 PM
Old 03-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #185
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Back on the road after the unplanned marker, I continued to the state line, the famous Mason-Dixon line, on the way I found yet another marker, Ice's Ferry. Located just off of Cheat Lake, follow Cheat Rd across the bridge, you can't miss it.

Also near by is the WV Geological & Economic Survey at Mont Chateau. I rode by but the gate was shut.

Here's a shot of the lake. Darn near empty!

Someone else was there taking a shot too, but they had a cage. Which one of you inmates is cheating?

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 05-17-2009 at 07:14 PM
Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #186
WVChrome
KLR Owner

After not one, but TWO new to me markers (driven/ridden countless times and I've never payed attention to them till now. I finally arrived at the Mason-Dixon line on Fairchance Rd. Rt 857. I can confirm that the marker is missing. I decided on picking up the one 119, I shudder to think that I'm inches away from a land that doesn't serve sweet tea.

Just across the road is a 2-fer-1 special. West Virginia's marker on the North facing side, Pennsylvania's on the South.

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 10:14 AM
Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #187
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,788
Thanks!

WVUChrome - Thanks for the new photos and great write-ups, and welcome to the thread! I remember driving up Fairchance Road once in the 70s. Rumor was they called it that because .... "Fair chance you'll make it, fair chance you won't!" It was a narrow, twisty road at the time. Probably still is.

Nice bike!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 02:48 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #188
Grape_Ape
Hold On Loosely

Oddometer: 444

This marker and historic house are located on Main Street in Bethany, WV. Bethany is home to Bethany College, a fairly exclusive (and expensive) school that was founded in 1840. The campus is something to see with the Gothic styled "Old Main" as its centerpiece.

I came of age in nearby Avella, PA and spent many nights rubbing elbows with the "rich kids" at Bubba's Bison Inn. Bubba's is located a few doors down from the Delta Tau Delta house.
Grape_Ape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #189
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Grabbed another local tag today. The marker is located at the end of Walnut Street. It actually ends in the river. Be wary if you travel to this marker, it's a bit of a rough neighborhood with homeless and degenerates abound.

Above the marker looks like a railroad bridge, but it's actually the Mon River Rail Trail. It was formerly the Fairmont, Morgantown, and Pittsburgh Railroad before being converted to a trail for bikes and walkers. In 1886 the F M & P was completed to Morgantown. Disgruntled herders nicknamed the rails “Sheepskin” as the trains scattered their sheep for miles. The line was later acquired and operated by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.

While the marker gives credit to a few, I've read that James Thompson was believed to have started the pottery. The pottery was started to counter the high price and difficulty of transporting it from the then nearest location, Baltimore, Md. It wasn't long before pottery was big business in northern West Virginia with the goods being sold and traded in several counties around.

While one side of the marker explains the pottery industry, the other side talks about another industry responsible for the development of northern WV. Monongalia County was home to iron making industry from 1800 to 1870. A total of five furnaces were operated along the Cheat River. Near Ice's Ferry (see my previous posts for this marker) Samuel Jackson began operating a furnace which later was acquired by Ellicotts & Co. and employed 1200 men. The Ellicotts were three brothers from Pa who operated flour mills and later expanded into iron works. Around the same time Samuel Hanway began working on Rock Forge which is located on Decker's Creek which empties into the Monongahela river a hundred yards up river from this marker.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #190
vatrader01
vatrader01

Watkins Ferry

Marker is on Route 11 north of Falling Waters, Berkeley County WV on the left driving north, before you cross the bridge.

When the American Indian uprising occurred in the 1750s, a fort called Maidstone was established at the Watkins Ferry crossing. On May 9, 1770, Lord Fairfax granted lots 5,6, 11 and 12 to Evan Watkins at a place called Maidstone on the Potomac River, though not much of a town or village ever developed here. This would be the earliest known area carved out into lots in what is now Berkeley County.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #191
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 6,600
Thanks for the pics. I enjoy looking through them.

I was born in Wheeling. My grandpa lived north of New Martinsville. A monument for the 'western end' of the Mason-Dixon line was on his property. The house he lived in is gone now, but I'm sure the monument is still there.

It was actually just above Proctor, on Rt. 2.

I always said it was the first house south of the Mason Dixon line on the Ohio River.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #192
vatrader01
vatrader01

Hedgesville

Marker is located in Hedgesville, Berkeley County WV on the right heading west on Route 9.

On August 17, 2004, President George W. Bush made a re-election campaign stop at Hedgesville High School. A highly unusual event for Hedgesville. Population from the 2000 US Census Bureau the population was 240 at the time of the visit.

Mt. Zion Church

Snodgrass Tavern

Its most famous guest was George Washington, who ate and spent the night there on September 5, 1784
Edgar Allen Poe frequently visited the Tavern, and is said to have conceived his poem "The Raven" there.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #193
vatrader01
vatrader01

Swan Pond

Marker is at the intersection of Route 45 and Files Road, four miles east of Martinsburg, Berkeley County WV.

In 1915 a typhoid outbreak killed nearly everyone living near this estate. To prevent spread of the infection, most of the buildings in the area were burned.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #194
vatrader01
vatrader01

Berkeley / Morgan County Line

Marker is on Route 9 at the Berkeley / Morgan County line, on the Morgan County side of the bridge.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #195
vatrader01
vatrader01

Claysville United Methodist Church

Marker is located on US Route 50 and intersection of WV 93.
Claysville, Mineral County, WV