ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #226
face_plant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
i know you did
thanks buddy. aweeee i owe you one, i heard there was 2 more on 88 and shortcreek, and by the ohio county airport. there is 2 in wheeling that i have no clue how to get...one at the civic center, and across the road at the old cold storage building. i can get the tags but not with the bike....well its a sumo i could ride the sidewalk :)

thanks again buddy
aaron
face_plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #227
face_plant
Adventurer

wheeling WV

hey grapeape if it wasnt for you i would be at home with a hang over
I DID IT
these are self explanitory but i will add history if needed

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll188/face_plant1/Picture023.jpg
[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #228
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Did you all find the 700 yet, what's taking so long?
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #229
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,960
We're getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
Did you all find the 700 yet, what's taking so long?
No way I could do it all myself - Luckily, I've had several riders helping out. You're welcome to join in. Maybe I'm not normal but I've found it to be addicting, educational, and therapeutic all at the same time. My wife wonders why I'm looking through lists of markers and putting little red dots all over my Gazetteer. Oh well. I'm getting to see parts of WV I've never explored.

I'm surprised no other states have started a simliar thread, especially Virginia which has probably a billion markers. Maybe it will catch on, or then again, that "normal" thing.........

Looking forward to more riders joining in the fun now that the weather is nice. Thanks again to all who have contributed.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #230
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
New River Gorge

Hey, I am going on an over nighter to NRG. Is there any public free campsites you can let me know about? I will be comming across from south east Ohio taking a picture and going back in the morning. I plan on leaving sunday and heading back on monday. Thanks
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #231
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
I'm surprised no other states have started a simliar thread, especially Virginia which has probably a billion markers. Maybe it will catch on, or then again, that "normal" thing.........
PA has a similar thread going:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441765
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #232
pnoman OP
Just Average

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape

Why didn't I think of checking out "Northeast"? Looks like Skyclad is off to a good start up in PA. Their signs are NICE! It's good that WV is providing funds to refurbish/replace the ones that need it.

Looks like a rainy day today, so I might get some more from the Wirt Co / Pleasants Co area posted today.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #233
pnoman OP
Just Average

Glenville - Gilmer Co

Located about 20 miles southwest of Weston, and about 25 miles north/northwest of the geographical center of the state, at the junction of Rt 33/119 and Rt 5. Population: 1,544. Home of Glenville State College (see previous post #215) and the Annual WV State Folk Festival.

Also home to William Perry Brown, who wrote the music for "The West Virginia Hills" state song.

For more info on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenville,_West_Virginia

Historical Marker located on Rt 33/119 between the entrance to Glenville State College and downtown.

Rt 33/119 entering Glenville.

Downtown Glenville. Nice, quiet college town.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #234
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

I was just joking around. I know it will take a while, you all are doing a great job in here finding all the markers, and I'm sure many lurkers are enjoying this thread and all the history too as I am. Is anybody keeping track as to how many and which ones have been found so far? I know it would be a lot of work but it might be nice to get a google maps going for all these markers so that others can string together WV marker rides and also so there is there is a tally of how many have been found so far.

VA could sure use a marker thread there are markers all over the place,but I think we're all caught up with all our tag games and since this doesen't have much of a competative aspect to it... But the riding would be great.

Marker on!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #235
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
I was just joking around. I know it will take a while, you all are doing a great job in here finding all the markers, and I'm sure many lurkers are enjoying this thread and all the history too as I am. Is anybody keeping track as to how many and which ones have been found so far? I know it would be a lot of work but it might be nice to get a google maps going for all these markers so that others can string together WV marker rides and also so there is there is a tally of how many have been found so far.

VA could sure use a marker thread there are markers all over the place,but I think we're all caught up with all our tag games and since this doesen't have much of a competative aspect to it... But the riding would be great.

Marker on!
I knew you were kidding. Thanks for the compliments - all those who have contributed deserve a big "thank you". We sure could use some southern WV help, though.

I don't know if we'll wrap up all 700 this year or not. I have about 20 more ready to post as soon as I can find time to do a little research on each one and upload photos to my storage. I'm not on any timeline, just looking forward to a summer of exploring parts of WV I've missed up 'til now. First, I need to get a new rear tire - mine is just about smooth.

If you go back to the first post, there is a link I try to update every few weeks that shows county by county what markers have been "tagged". I worked on it this weekend for an hour or so, and hope to have the list updated soon.

Break's over - back to work.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #236
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oh cool I see the list of tagged markers now on the first page. You should add it to your sig line. This list is great. You can really see the counties that are still wide open and could use some help.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #237
pnoman OP
Just Average

Updated list of "Tagged" Markers

OK, I finally finished updating the list of "tagged" markers. It is current up to 29 March 2009 - Post #233. I will add a link below, but you can also find it back on Post #1.

Thanks again, everyone!!

Click here to see updated list of "tagged" markers. (There are 3 pages, with links to each by county names).
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 02:31 AM
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #238
Motocox
We will call him Thunder!

Oddometer: 841
Wheeling

It's nice to see some pics from Wheeling. I lived there for 3 years, before moiving back to VA. Pics of the Ale House bring back some memories. I also spent many hours at TJ's which was right down the hill from where I lived. This thread is a great way to got out and explore your state. Good job. Hopefully we can start something like this in Va.
Motocox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #239
face_plant
Adventurer

re wheeling

there are a few more on fish creek i am going to hit. it is crappy i cant find ANY historical info on my markers besides what has been passed down, so i cant say for sure if its accurate :(

is MISSING missing as in not found yet or Missing as in someone wanted to scrap it for$ 5??

face_plant screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 12:47 PM
Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #240
pnoman OP
Just Average

Site of First Gilmer Court - Gilmer Co

For a history of Gilmer County :

http://www.polsci.wvu.edu/wv/Gilmer/gilhistory.html

Hisotrical Marker located on Rt 5 about 9 miles west of Glenville.

View westbound on Rt 5. Nice ride through this area.
www.RidingWV.com