ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #256
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
On the way from Morgantown to Fairmont, along US 19 there is a quaint little town along the river called Rivesville. Which was established in 1837, but not incorporated until 1875. It was named after William Cabell Rives. (Wikipedia link)

Looking back north, into town with the markers at my back.

Google didn't have much on Fort Paw Paw. But, for those that don't know, a Paw Paw is a soft fruit grown on small trees native to West Virginia. It tastes a little like a banana, and are my personal favorite fruit!

Next to the Fort Paw Paw marker, is an intriguing one about David Morgan. David was brother to Zackquill Morgan who founded Morgantown and son of Morgan Morgan, who is credited as the first white settler of West Virginia. The marker is about the killing of two Indians who attacked Morgan's two children.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #257
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Fairmont is a short three miles south of Rivesville and is very rich in history.

That's the county courthouse in the background, which is on the National Register of Historic Places itself! Unfortunately, like too many historical texts, the documents pertaining to the courthouse have not been digitized. The courthouse is located along US 250 in the heart of Farimont.

Next to the courthouse is the Marion County Historical Society Museum. I was hoping they would be open, but alas, they were closed.

In front of the museum is the marker for Boaz Flemming. Flemming founded Middletown in 1819, recognized by Virginia General Assembly in 1820, which is now known as Fairmont.

Here is an interesting, and humorous, blurb courtesy of WVU. (Link to original text)

Quote:
Oral history indicates that in 1808 Boaz Fleming made his annual trek to Clarksburg to pay his brother's Harrison County taxes. While in Clarksburg he attended a social gathering that included Dolly Madison, his cousin. He complained to her about having to travel over a hundred miles each year from his home to pay his Monongalia County taxes and his brother's Harrison County taxes. Dolly Madison supposedly suggested that he create his own county to save him all that travel. Six years later, Boaz Fleming circulated a petition to do precisely that, naming the proposed county Madison County, in honor of Dolly and President James Madison. The petition failed to gain sufficient support to be presented to the Virginia General Assembly. He then focused on creating a town near his farm. In 1819, a road was built from Clarksburg to Morgantown. His farm was about halfway between the two, making a good resting point. He laid out the town on the west side of the Monongahela River in 1819. It was incorporated on January 19, 1820 as Middletown. It is unknown if the town was called Middletown because of its location mid-way between Clarksburg and Morgantown or because Boaz Fleming's first wife, Elizabeth Hutchinson, was originally from Middletown, Delaware.

Here is the other side looking down US 250.

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 03:49 PM
WVChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #258
WVChrome
KLR Owner

On my way through Fairmont to another known marker, I stumbled across this one. The marker was placed in 2004 and is not in the "Marking Our Past" book.

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 10:29 PM
Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #259
WVChrome
KLR Owner

One of Fairmont's bridges pays tribute to a local hero, Colonel George S. "Spanky" Roberts, USAF. There is a marker on either side of the bridge. If you look REAL close in the first picture, you can see the second marker across the bridge and to the left of near the tree.

There is parking near the Cleveland Ave/ Adams Street marker, but none near the Fairmont Ave/First Street one.

Later.
Chrome...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #260
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Fairmont State College is located along US 19 at the junction of Locust Avenue. Visiting this tag, I learned something new today, FSC is older than WVU by two years! FSC was founded in 1865, while my Alma mater WVU wasn't founded til 1867!

Nearby to this marker is an interesting structure, the Snodgrass One Room Schoolhouse. Coming from a long line of teachers, I've always found this particularly interesting.

Quote:
In 1840 William Snodgrass erected a log building about 300 yards from his house for specific use as a schoolhouse and a church. Three separate school buildings were to occupy this same level, one-acre site over the next 100 years or so. The log school was succeeded by a frame building with board-and-batten siding of yellow poplar, painted a dark red, which was in turn succeeded, in 1871, by the 23 foot by 26 foot white frame schoolhouse now on the campus of Fairmont State University .
(Excerpt from the program booklet used at the 1992 Dedication of The Snodgrass One-Room Schoolhouse Museum, October 30, 1992, Fairmont State University)

It should be noted that dark red/maroon is one of FSC's colors. Whether or not this is a homage to the Snodgrass Schoolhouse or not, I don't know.

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 03:54 PM
Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #261
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Last marker for the day was the Taylor County/Monongalia County marker I passed yesterday while dodging the crap falling out the truck in front of me.

I maybe slightly crooked, but that sign is leaning, it's not just me!

Later,
Chrome...
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #262
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
I'm surprised no other states have started a simliar thread, especially Virginia which has probably a billion markers. Maybe it will catch on, or then again, that "normal" thing.........
and find all 2200+ sure I thought about starting one until I saw the total number

Historical Highway Markers
Virginia Historical Highway Markers
With their texts of black lettering against a silver background and their distinctive shape, state historical highway markers are hard to miss on Virginia’s roadways. There are now more than 2,200 of them scattered throughout the state to commemorate people, places, or events of regional, statewide or national significance.

http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_ma...arker_info.htm
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #263
FOXedupONE
Momafox can I ride?

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
and find all 2200+ sure I thought about starting one until I saw the total number
Now that would give you some work to do updating a VA marker map. Would there be any empty areas in that one?
FOXedupONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #264
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 266
Cool2 The source

I am sorry if this has already been posted before, but I found the place that makes those historical markers, and they are still in business!

Follow the linky: http://www.sewahstudios.com/about.htm

I am very tempted to have one made for myself!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #265
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebike
I am sorry if this has already been posted before, but I found the place that makes those historical markers, and they are still in business!

Follow the linky: http://www.sewahstudios.com/about.htm

I am very tempted to have one made for myself!
Outstanding! Thank you. I hadn't thought too much about whether the foundry for the original signs was still in business. I'll have to check out the site more when I have time (I'm at work, so I can only get on for a few minutes without feeling guilty).

I wonder if my wife would let me get one for our front yard?

Inscription: Piano Man (pnoman) Home of crazy V-Strommer who spent half his life looking through the Gazetteer for obscure roads and historical markers. Spent the other half of his life posting photos and ride reports, and updating the "WV Markers" thread. Always seemed to know the weather forecast for the next 5 days. Strange guy.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #266
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXedupONE
Now that would give you some work to do updating a VA marker map. Would there be any empty areas in that one?

there are some webites out there dedicated to historical markers and way marking all kinds of stuff
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #267
pnoman OP
Just Average

Ritchie Co / Pleasants Co Line - Rt 16

Located on Rt 16 about 5 miles northwest of Ellenboro (Rt 50) and about 10 miles southeast of St. Marys.

For more on Ritchie Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritchie..._West_Virginia

For more on Pleasants Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasan..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker (Side #1) Southeast-bound on Rt 16 entering Ritchie Co.

View southeast-bound on Rt 16 entering Ritchie Co.

Same marker (Side #2) Northwest-bound Rt 16 entering Pleasants Co.

View northwest on Rt 16 entering Pleasants Co.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #268
pnoman OP
Just Average

St. Marys - Pleasants Co

Located on the Ohio River about 20-25 miles northeast of Parkersburg. County seat of Pleasants Co. Population - 2,017. Established in 1849 by Alexander Creel, who had a vision of the Virgin Mary as he passed by this area on a river boat.

For more information on St. Marys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Marys,_West_Virginia

Historical Marker located on Rt 2 northbound about 1/2 mile north of the bridge over the Ohio River.

View of Rt 2 northbound through the edge of St Marys. The business district is off to the left a few blocks.

Downtown St Marys. Complete with train tracks down Main St. Ya' don't see that everyday (unless you are fortunate enough to be in Europe).
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #269
pnoman OP
Just Average

Early Settlers (St Marys) - Pleasants Co

Located on Rt 2 on the north edge of St Marys.

Notes on the LaRue Brothers:

Isaac and Jacob Larue appear in the 1810 census of Ohio County, Virginia of which this section of Pleasants was then a part. Local histories state that Isaac Larue, grandfather of Isaac and Jacob (and perhaps Abraham) devised land to the four sons of Peter and Elizabeth (Larue) Larue. Elizabeth was Isaac's daughter and Peter Larue was her cousin. Land grant records show Abraham Larue, et al, were granted 2,000 acres on Middle Island Creek and 245 acres on Middle Island in 1800 (Ohio County Deed Book 3, pages 234 and 235).

In the 1810 Ohio County Census, Isaac and Jacob Larue were both listed as being "at least 26 years of age and under 45 years of age." They were both at least 35 years of age as the 1820 Census of Tyler County lists them "45 years of age and upwards". Isaac appears to have been the elder due to the ages of his children. Their wives were listed in the same age range in 1810.

Household of Isaac Larue (other than head of family and wife): 1 male; 1 female, at least 10 years and under 16 years; 1 male; 4 females, all under 10 years of age.
Household of Jacob Larue: 4 females, all under 10 years of age.

(Source: http://www.lindapages.com/pleasants/...ry/pioneer.htm )

Historical Marker - Located on Rt 2 leaving St Marys northbound

View northbound on Rt 2.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #270
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Monogah Disaster (Marion Co)

Haven't had a lot of play time but dug one up Wrior and I rode out to last fall. The marker commemorates the Mine Disaster of 1907. The wikipedia link has concise information. As with a previous marker of Scott's Run, it reflects the hard coal-mining heritage and significant immigrant population of our state. The marker is right by the town hall in Monongah.

sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote