ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #301
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,913
Travelers Repose / Blue & Gray - Pocahontas Co.

Travelers Repose is located on the east side of Bartow, just north of Green Bank. The roads in this area are great riding in any direction. You just can't go wrong.

The original building was burned during the Civil War, and was rebuilt in 1866.

Historical Marker (Side #1) located in front of the Travelers Repose at the junction of Rt 250 and Rt 28 at Bartow, about 10 miles north of Green Bank.

For an interesting article on the Travelers Repose: http://www.wvbeard.com/repose.htm

Same Marker - Side #2.

For more information on the Battle at Camp Allegheny: http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/wv/wv008.html

Travelers Repose.

Looking west past the junction of Rt 250 and Rt28. Bartow is in the background.

A terrible photo of a good informational plaque in front of the building. The black specks are just a few of the million flies enjoying the warmth of the sun, and the sun was positioned just right so I could not get a photo without my shadow.

Reminder to all who have contributed photos or plan to contribute to this thread - please read #297.

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 04:23 PM
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #302
pnoman OP
Just Average

Unofficial Count

I just did a quick inventory of markers and counted 227 posted! This may be a few off since there are duplicates (County borders are listed twice - once in each county) but I have tried to account for that.

Thanks, everyone!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 04:02 PM
Old 04-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #303
pnoman OP
Just Average

Camp Allegheny / VA Border - Rt 250 - Pocahontas Co

Both of these markers were posted by Madstrom (Post #153) but I'll post mine also since I was "in the neighborhood".

Located on Rt 250 at the WV/VA border.

Westbound on Rt 250, entering WV. (Sign #1, Side #1)

Eastbound on Rt 250, entering VA (Sign #1, Side #2)

Three in a row! (Sort of, if you count the VA marker) The first marker on the right is the WV/VA Marker, the next is Camp Allegheny, and the 3rd is the VA Marker with VA on 1 side and WV on the other. (The 4th sign is just a regular sign - I think it was "Don't Litter") That's the VA/WV border at the top of the hill.

Looking westbound back into WV. The Camp Allegheny Marker is first on the left, then the WV/VA Marker. Welcome to Pocahontas Co.

Closeup of the Camp Allegheny Marker. For more information, click on the link in my previous post on Travelers Repose (Post #301).

The VA Marker entering VA eastbound. Formerly part of Pendleton Co.

View of the VA Marker eastbound entering WV.

Reminder to all who have contributed photos or plan to contribute to this thread - please read #297.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 06:05 AM
Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #304
pnoman OP
Just Average

Pendleton Co / Pocahontas Co Line - Rt 28

Another Duplicate: Just Go posted these earlier on Post #24.

Since I was in the neighborhood and took a few additional photos, I thought I'd add these.

Located on Rt 28 entering Pendleton Co northbound.

View northbound on Rt 28 entering Pendleton Co.

For more information on Pendleton Co. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendlet..._West_Virginia

Same Marker - Side #2. Southbound on Rt 28 entering Pocahontas Co.

View southbound on Rt 28 entering Pocahontas Co.

For more information on Pocahontas Co. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocahon..._West_Virginia

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 02:14 PM
Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #305
pnoman OP
Just Average

Birthplace of Rivers - Pendleton Co.

Again, Just Go posted these on #24 earlier, but I'll add these.

Located on Rt 28 less than 50 meters north of the Pocahontas Co / Pendleton Co line. (You can see this marker in the previous post on the border marker)

Historical Marker - facing northbound on Rt 28.

View northbound on Rt 28 entering Pendleton Co. (Sign is on west side of road)

www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #306
pnoman OP
Just Average

Cass - Pocahontas Co.

OK - No more duplicates (at least for awhile)

Cass - Home of the famous Cass Scenic Railroad. The roads into Cass are great riding from any direction, whether it's on Rt 66 (State Route, not the famous Rt 66) or CR 1 south from Durbin.

Notes from Cass Website: Click here for Cass Website

Nestled in the mountains of West Virginia, Cass Scenic Railroad State Park offers excursions that transport you back in time to relive an era when steam-driven locomotives were an essential part of everyday life. Trips to Cass are filled with rich histories of the past, unparalleled views of a vast wilderness area, and close-up encounters with the sights and sounds of original steam-driven locomotives.

The town of Cass remains relatively unchanged. The restored company houses are rented as vacation cottages, add to the charm and atmosphere of the town. From the company store and museum to the train depot, you'll find an abundance of things to do prior to your departure on the historic Cass Railroad.
The Cass Scenic Railroad is the same line built in 1901 to haul lumber to the mill in Cass. The locomotives are the same Shay locomotives used in Cass, and in the rainforests of British Columbia for more than a half-century. Many of the passenger cars are old logging flat-cars that have been refurbished.

Once you board the train, the real excitement begins! The great pistons of the carefully restored Shay locomotive will start pulsing, driven by hundreds of pounds of steam pressure. The shaft begins turning, the wheels find traction, and the locomotive begins to move. With thick, black smoke belching from its stack, the train pulls away from the station, passing the water tower from which the locomotive tanks are filled. As the train rounds the curve up Leatherbark Creek, you'll pass the Cass Shop, where the locomotives are serviced and repaired, and a graveyard of antiquated but fascinating equipment on sidetracks.

As the pressure builds, the locomotive is driven at full steam, and the laborious journey up the mountain toward the two switchbacks begin. The loud huff of the stack, the clanking of gears and pistons, the furious scream of the whistle at the crossings, and the ever present clackety-clack of the rails will indeed make you feel as if you have been transported back in time. The train soon passes through the first switchback, reverses up a steep grade, and ascends to the second switchback where the process is repeated, and then finally into open fields and Whittaker Station. The switchback process allows the train to gain quick altitude, and in this instance, the train is traversing a grade of up to 11 percent, or 11 feet in altitude for each 100 feet of track. A 2 percent grade on conventional railroads is considered steep!

Historical Marker located on Rt 66 as it passes through Cass, about 1/4 mile west of the train station.

View up "Main St" (Rt 66) passing eastbound through Cass. Original (restored) housing from the lumber mill. For information about renting them: http://www.cassrailroad.com/cottages.html

File photos from last summer (2008) Getting ready for the next trip up the mountain.

(Summer 2008) Two fine machines (and an old guy in a yellow shirt)

Checking the steam pressure.

Thar' she goes. Clean burning coal .

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 02:46 AM
Old 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #307
pnoman OP
Just Average

Lee's Headquarters - Pocahontas Co

Located on Rt 219/55, just 1/10 mile north of junction with Rt 66.

I'm not the historian, so for more information on Gen. Robert E. Lee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Lee

[Edit 04 April 2010 - Marker has been refurbished - see below]

Historical Marker located on Rt 219/55 just north of junction with Rt 66 at Snowshoe. (Looks like this sign has led a rough life and could use some TLC)

Side #2 of the same marker.

This is the best shot I could get of the knoll, as the sun was low, directly over the top of the hill.

View northbound on Rt 219/55. Elkins: 43 miles ahead.

Lots of nice riding in this area.

[Edit - Update: I rode by here on 18 March 2010 and the marker has been refurbished. Here are a couple of photos. This is proof our efforts are paying off. Thanks!!!]

Big difference, eh!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 07:32 AM
Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #308
pnoman OP
Just Average

Lee's HQ (Sign #2 - Unlisted!) - Randolph Co

Located on Rt 219/55 just north of Snowshoe and the Pocahontas Co / Randolph Co line, but south of Mingo. It is about 5 miles north of the marker in the previous post. This one is not listed on the WV Markers list.

See the previous post for a link to Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Historical Marker located on Rt 219/55 between Mingo and the Pocahontas Co / Randolph Co line.

View southbound on Rt 219/55. Next photo is to the left of where I'm standing in this photo.

OK, not a great view, but if you squint a little, you can see the area in the distance between the trees.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #309
pnoman OP
Just Average

Mingo Flats - Randolph Co

Located on Rt 219 in southern Randolph Co, just above the Pocahontas Co / Randolph Co line.

The Mingo Indians were Native Americans who settled in the Ohio Valley during the mid-17th Century. THey were related to the Delaware and Iroquoise Indians. One of the most famous Mingo leaders (but not a Chief) was "Chief Logan", who had good relations with white settlers until his family was brutally murdered. After exacting revenge, he lived peacefully with the white settlers once again. However, the Indian Removal Act, signed by Andrew Jackson, forced the Mingos and other Native Americans to move west, where they settled in Kansas.

For more information on the Mingo Indians: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mingo

For more information on the Indian Removal Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Removal_Act

Historical Marker located on Rt 219 in Mingo (far southern Randolph Co).

View northbound on Rt 219 at Mingo.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #310
pnoman OP
Just Average

Valley Head - Randolph Co.

Located on Rt 219/55 just south of the junction with Rt 15 (about 10 - 12 miles south of Huttonsville).

Notes from the History of Harrison County records. Pg 63-67. (even though this is three counties away from Harrison Co.)

ATTACK ON THE CONNOLLY AND STEWART FAMILIES.

A party of twenty Indians designing to commit some depredations during the fall, had nearly reached the upper end of Tygarts Valley when the snow which had inspired the inhabitants with confidence in their security commenced falling. Fearful of laying themselves open to detection if they ventured to proceed further at that time, and anxious to effect some mischief before they returned home, they remained concealed about ten miles from the settlements until the snow disappeared. On the 15th of December they came to the house of Darby Connoly, at the upper extremity of the valley and killed him, his wife and several of the children, and took three others prisoners. Proceeding to the next house they killed John Stewart, his wife and child and took Miss Hamilton, sister-in-law to Stewart, into captivity. They then immediately changed their direction and with great dispatch entered upon their journey home with the captives and plunder taken at these two places.

Historical Marker located on Rt 219/55 in Valley Head.

View northbound on Rt 219/55 passing through Valley Head.

This is a great ride from Snowshoe all the way up to Huttonsville.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #311
pnoman OP
Just Average

Randolph Co / Webster Co Line - Rt 15

Located about 15 miles east of Webster Springs on Rt 15. Nice riding, except late afternoon when you're facing directly into the sun westbound . I was about blind by the time I got to Webster Springs.

Historical Marker (Side #1) located on Rt 15, about 15 miles east of Webster Springs. This is the view for westbound travelers.

View westbound on Rt 15 entering Webster County. Webster Springs is about 15 miles ahead.

Same Marker - Side #2. Eastbound on Rt 15, entering Randolph Co.

View eastbound on Rt 15 entering Randolph Co.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #312
pnoman OP
Just Average

Webster Springs - Webster Co.

OK, I learned something new today - Webster Springs is not the "Official" name of this town. It's "Official" name is Addison, so named in 1892.

Located about 25 miles (as the crow flies) southeast of the Geographical Center of the State. Population is about 800, and is home of the Webster County Woodchopping Festival. It was the location of the Webster Springs Hotel, a 265-room resort (that's larger than the Greenbrier Resort ) that was built in 1897 and burned to the ground in 1925.

For more information on the city: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker located on Rt 20 as it passes the courthouse.

View of the Marker and Courthouse.

View westbound on Rt 15 as it passes the courthouse and goes through town.

View of Webster Springs from across the Elk River. The courthouse is visible in the background just to the right of center.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-05-2009 at 02:43 AM
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #313
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Easton Roller Mill

A nice break in the weather today so I decided to get a marker that I've driven/ridden past countless times and not noticed. I thought it was new till I saw the 1984 date on the marker itself.

The Easton Roller Mill marker is located at the Junction of 119 and CR 119/17 (Easton Mill Road) which is at the foot of Easton Hill and across from Easton Elementary. BTW, it's in Easton.

While the marker is just off the road, the mill is a SHORT distance along Easton Mill Road. The mill gives tours, but according to several sources it is only open the last weekend in September, although a sign at the mill said "Open 1st and 3rd." If you chose to visit the mill, take note of the stone wheel across the street in the neighbors yard. Wanna bet it was an original roller from 1894? (Sorry no pics of that, you'll have to visit it for yourself to see!) Please ignore the power lines that seem to ruin almost every shot.

The following courtesy of Historical Mills Blog. Quoted for posterity.

Quote:
Easton Roller Mill is located in eastern West Virginia near Morgantown at N39 39.0177' and W79 54.7388'. It is a museum mill and owned by the Monongalia Historical Society (1980). The mill was built in 1864 by Henry Mack from Philadelphia for Henry Koontz.

The roller mills were installed between 1894 and 1910 they are still within the mill. The mill is constructed of an oak frame; it is two and one-half stories in height. (Monongalia Historical Society)

The mill is in very good condition, it is powered by a steam engine located in the basement of the building, and a boiler is located adjacent to the building. The engine still functions and the mill can grind grain, not all pieces of equipment are still functional.
Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #314
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Dunkard Sands

The Dunkard Sands Marker is located on CR 73, 1.5 miles south of junction with US 119, near Uffington.

Sorry a few of these are at an angle. The ground was completely saturated and I didn't feel like sinking up to my eyeballs.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #315
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Fort Martin is located along CR 53 (Fort Martin Road), 4 miles past the junction with WV 100, just past the Fort Martin (green state placed) sign. There is a nearby Methodist Church, but I'm not sure its the one mentioned in the maker. I would have loved to stop and find out, but the rain was threatening a downpour and I left the rain gear at home.

Please take note! CR 53 may seem like a nice twisty road with reasonable pavement to play on, but be warned, heavy coal trucks frequently cross the yellow in the corners. Also, a street sweeper (no I'm not kidding) makes passes on this road spreading the gravel out. Definitely, take the speed down a notch and keep the eyes up.

Later,
Chrome...