ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #316
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Located in Pleasants County about 1 mile south of St.Marys or 2 miles north of Belmont along WV 2. Sign was put up in the last month or so.

This area is about 1.5miles from my home. There are large cliffs on the North bound side and the Ohio River borders the south bound side of RT.2 in this area. There really isnt a settlement there anymore, just a couple house's before entering the "narrows". Vaucluse is widley refered to as the narrows and is known for is land slides.

And remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. - E. B. 1980
WFOhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #317
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,950
Thanks

WFOhillbilly,

Thanks - Nice post!

I took my family down to the Mothman statue in March on our way back from Ohio. Nice area, and LOTS of markers. I was drooling all over the minivan wishing I was on my bike.

(EDIT: What am I thinking? It was a long day at work, and my feeble brain is fried. I got Pleasants County and Point Pleasant mixed up. Senior moment!)

pnoman
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-10-2009 at 03:15 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #318
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Located in Tyler County beside the Sistersville post office along Rt.2.

Sistersville is a city in Tyler County.

The community was named for Sarah and Delilah Wells, daughters of settler Charles Wells, who fathered 22 children.
The latitude of Sistersville is 39.564N. The longitude is -80.996W.
It is in the Eastern Standard time zone. Elevation is 650 feet.

The estimated population, in 2003, was 1,533.

Sistersville was in its "prime" in the late 1890's and early 1900's, when oil and gas were discovered. This is evident by the numerous large upscale house's throughout the area. Many of these can be seen along RT.2 on the south end of town. Sistersville also hosts the annual West Virginia Oil and Gas Festival to celebrate its history.

Seen above is a pic of the historic Wells inn. Ephraim Wells, grandson of Sistersville founder Charles Wells, established the Hotel Wells in 1894 shortly after the discovery of oil in this area. Wells built this hotel to serve the oil barons, genteel travelers and residents of the area.

The "Sistersville Daily Review" the leading newspaper of the area noted, "The banquet and ball which celebrated the hotel opening was one of the notable events of the century." Throughout the years, statesmen, business people, and professionals from all around the world have enjoyed the comforts and gracious elegance of the Hotel Wells, later known as the Wells Inn.

One must do when in Sistersville, is ride the Ferry which will take you to Ohio Rt. 7. Many locale riders enjoy this.

And remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. - E. B. 1980
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #319
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
WFOhillbilly,

Thanks - Nice post! I took my family down to the Mothman statue in March on our way back from Ohio. Nice area, and LOTS of markers. I was drooling all over the minivan wishing I was on my bike.

pnoman
It seems as though a lot of the historic signs marking county lines such as the Pleasants / Tyler line and also the Wetzel / Tyler line are missing. Also I am working on the Ruins in Bens Run. They are slightly visible from the air but very hard to locate on the ground. Most of the earthworks has been removed by industry or farming.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #320
pnoman OP
Just Average

Blue Monday Sand - Webster Co

From "A Handbook Of The Petroleum Industry":

Gray, Boulder, Snee or Blue Monday sand.—Several names have been used interchangeably and rather loosely, to designate from one to three sands, occurring at the top of the Catskill red beds in southwestern Pennsylvania, usually 40 to 100 feet above the Gordon sand, and approximately 2100 feet below the Pittsburgh coal. It is seldom that any one of these sands exceeds 25 feet in thickness, although they are as thick as 60 feet in some places. They are generally white to gray in color, and sometimes soft and pebbly. In general, the name " Boulder sand " is used towards the north, and " Snee " and " Blue Monday " to the south, in northern Allegheny County. No certainty exists that the sands are ever absolutely identical, although they are similarly situated stratigraphically.

(stratigraphically - now THERE'S a word you don't use everyday) I looked it up in Webster's Dictionary (how appropriate since we're in Webster Co) and it defines "stratigraphy" as the "arrangement of strata; geology that deals with the origin, composition, distribution, and succession of strata". OK, what's "strata"? Guess what - it's not in the dictionary. I've never seen Websters use a word that's not in the dictionary to define another word. Hmmmm.

Historical Marker is located on Rt 20/15 northbound just as you cross the Elk River leaving downtown Webster Springs (oops, Addison).

This cliff is just across the road from the marker.

View of the marker as Rt 15/20 heads out of Webster Springs northbound. (Rt 15/20 is the main road to the left by the hitchhiker)
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-10-2009 at 04:29 AM
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #321
pnoman OP
Just Average

Hacker Valley - Webster Co

Located on Rt 20 about 20 miles north of Webster Springs (Addison), and just on the south edge of Holly River State Park.

From Wikipedia:

The valley was named for its first settler, John Hacker. Hacker Valley is also home to Holly River State Park. The Valley also has Hacker Valley Elementary School and a new school building is being built. The schools colors are red and white with the cardinals as its mascot. Holly River Grocery is the only store in the community. There are also many potters and artists. The community is very tight knit and is arguably one of the friendliest towns in the United States.

For more information - Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendants website.

The area is also known for Rella's, with some of the best home-cookin' around. Great burgers and fries. (More on that later)

Historical Marker located on Rt 20 in "downtown" Hacker Valley.

View northbound on Rt 20.

View southbound on Rt 20.

(NOTE - The following photos of Rella's are file photos from a car trip last month)

Located just south of Hacker Valley on Rt 20 is Rellas Restaurant. If you didn't know better, you would look at it and just keep driving by. (Like I did several times until I read about it).

First you have to get past the vicious guard dog. " Woof woof! Pet me, rub my tummy".

Come on in and have a seat. You don't have to worry about scratching the floor with the chairs. Nice and CLEAN! You'd better get here early if you want a seat - there's only about 8 tables.

We weren't real hungry, so I ordered the "junior" burger (1/4 pounder). They also have a 1/2- pounder. Next time. GREAT onion rings and fries made out of real potatoes! Then, it's on to the pie fridge. Lots of homemade pies - like lemon meringue from scratch.

I went back in Nov 2009 with my wife and we had a nice chat with..... the one, the only.... Rella!

That's me with the World-Famous, Chef-Extraordinaire - Rella.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 05:14 PM
Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #322
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 452
Me likey Rella's.

Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #323
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Hundred in Wetzel County

I passed through Hundred on my way to The Laurel Fork Wilderness Camp Out last weekend. I had a great uncle that lived on a farm in Hundred. I never visietd the farm but my father would tell me stories about his uncle's saw mill that ran on an old drip gas engine.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #324
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Pringle Tree - Upshur County

Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 AM   #325
pnoman OP
Just Average

Old Sulphur Spring - Webster Co

Located on Rt 20 about 3 miles north of Hacker Valley, and just south of Cleveland (WV ). I couldn't find anything else to add to what's written on the plaque.

Historical Marker Located on Rt 20 about 3 miles north of Hacker Creek.

About 30 meters off the highway is this quaint liitle springhouse.

Inviting, eh?

What did you expect - teak seating and flatscreen TVs?

A little more background on the springhouse.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #326
pnoman OP
Just Average

Cleveland (WV) - Webster Co

Located on Rt 20 about 6 miles north of Hacker Valley and Holly River State Park. It is on the point where Webster Co, Lewis Co, and Upshur Co meet. Population in 2000 was 112.

Historical Marker located in "downtown" Cleveland on Rt 20.

Rt 20 is a great ride from Webster Springs north to Rock Cave.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #327
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rt 20 - Upshur Co / Webster Co Line

Located just north of Cleveland on Rt 20.

For more on Upshur County - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upshur_..._West_Virginia

For more on Webster County - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker located on Rt 20 at the Webster Co/ Upshur Co line. The sign is tucked back in a semi-hidden spot that is easy to miss if you are not really looking for it.

Same Marker, Side #2.

View southbound on Rt 20 entering Webster Co.

View northbound on Rt 20 entering Upshur Co.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #328
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Berkeley Springs [Bath] Morgan County WV

Here is a collection of markers I located in Berkeley Springs, [Bath] Morgan County WV. A little backround on the area, with some excerpts from Wikipedia:

In 1748, George Washington, then just 16 years old, was part of the survey party that surveyed the Eastern Panhandle region for Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. He later returned several times the next several years with his half-brother, Laurence, who was ill and hoped that the warm springs might improve his health. The springs, and their rumored medicinal benefits, attracted numerous Native Americans as well as Europeans to the area.
While vacationing in the area in 1767, Washington made note of how busy the town had become. Lord Fairfax had built a summer home there and a "private bath" making the area a popular destination for Virginia's social elite. With the advent of independence, the Virginia Legislature established a town around the spring in December 1776. The town was officially named Bath, in honor of England's spa city of Bath. George Washington, his family members and several of the colonial elite were among the town's first landowners. The town's main north-south street was named Washington and the main east-west street was named Fairfax. Also, foure acres were set aside for "suffering humanity." The park was made part of the West Virginia state park system in 1925.
Bath's population increased during and immediately after the American Revolutionary War as wounded soldiers and others came to the area believing that the warm springs had medicinal qualities. Bath gained a reputation as a somewhat wild town where eating, drinking, dancing and, gambling on the daily horse races were the order of the day.
Bath became known to the world as Berkeley Springs in 1802 when the Virginia postal system was established and there was already a Bath, Virginia in Bath County. The waters were known as Berkeley Springs because the protocol was to name springs after the county in which they were located. At that time, Bath was part of Berkeley County named after colonial Governor Norborne Berkeley.

Bath [Berkeley Springs] is the county seat of Morgan County. The area continues to be a popular resort area with tourism the main industry in the county. "Berkeley Castle" overlooks the community and is a well know landmark. Berkeley Springs is a noted arts community with many working artists accounting for a considerable portion of the county population. Since 1994, the town has been listed in all four editions of John Villani's "100 Best Art Towns in America," one of only 11 towns so rated. The area is home to two state parks, Cacapon State Park and Berkeley Springs State Park, many health spas and health orientated businesses.

This marker is located at the intersection of 522 [S. Washington St.] and Fairfax St. in Berkeley Springs.

On the other side, facing S. Washington St.

Across the street is Berkeley Springs State Park. There are a number of markers and artifacts on the four acre plot. Here is a few of the items I spotted on a walk through.

As close as I could get the bike to the action.

The Berkeley Castle, as seen from the park:

Currently, the Castle is unavailable for tours.

Seen here at his day job, this charmer works nights as an ADVrider CS&M moderator.

Built in 1885, German stonemasons constructed this wondrous building that is a half scale of the famed Berkeley Castle located in England. Colonel Samuel Taylor Suit proposed to Rosa Pelham and said, “I will build you a castle if you marry me.” Once open to the public with a hoard of treasures inside from an eight hundred pound German painting to a thousand year old hand carved teak wood love seat and the magnificent Great Hall where grand parties were held. The magnificent castle now has been sold, and can only be viewed from the outside and can be found on Route 9, the old carriage road to Chicago.

vatrader01 screwed with this post 05-11-2009 at 11:45 AM
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #329
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oriskany Sand marker Cacapon Resort State Park

Located on the road into Cacapon Resort State Park, located off Rt 522, 10 miles south of Berkeley Springs, Morgan County WV.

Park entrance on Rt 522

Here is link to some general information on the park: http://www.wvs.state.wv.us/travelwv/ops/cacapon.htm

And more here: http://www.wvstateparks.com/conferen...ON_meeting.pdf
Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #330
vatrader01
vatrader01

"Stonewall" Jackson Hill

Marker is located on RT 522, Between Hancock, MD. and Berkeley Springs, Morgan County WV on the west side of the road as you cross the bridge into West Virginia form Hancock, MD.

Local legend has it that local residents around the area can hear a succession of six cannon shots, which vibrates the liquid in their cups. Stonewall Jackson Hill is actually called Brosius Hill, and on January 1, 1862, Jackson left Winchester Virginia with 8,500 men to the Unger Crossroads in Morgan County. On the 4th he over came Berkeley Springs and then pursued the Yankees into Sir Johns Run, Great Cacapon and into Hancock Maryland.