ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #346
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,967
What's a few feet among friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Geologically, High Knob is a summit of Mill Creek Mountain. It has an elevation of 2612 feet.
vatrader01 - Thanks for the excellent photos and writeups, as usual.

I barely grageeated from Jethro's Scientifical School of Cipherin', but wouldn't the peak have to be over 2640 ft to be "more than half a mile", as it says on the marker? Maybe they first measured it before all that GPS stuff. Still, pretty darn close.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 10:42 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #347
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164

Marker can be found on State Route 21, 3 miles south of Sugar Grove, Pendleton County WV.

On one side is St Michaels Lutheran Church, on the other side is "The Wilfong Church". My camera [or I] fuzzed this shot very badly. The inscription reads:
" Four acres of land for church and cemetery were purchased for one shilling on October 1, 1794 from German immigrant couple, Michael and Sophia Wilfong. Historically and locally known as "The Wilfong Church" because of the patronage of the Wilfong family and large number of family members who attended the church and are buried in the cemetery. "

vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #348
pnoman OP
Just Average

Upshur Militia - Upshur Co.

Located at the junction of Rt 4 and Rt 20 in Rock Cave, about 10-12 miles south of Buckhannon. There is a nice Veterans Memorial Park in the surrounding area, kind of a big triangular traffic island.

For a list of personnel in the Upshur Militia:

http://www.wvculture.org/HiStory/wvm...ersupshur.html

I couldn't find much else about the Upshur Militia, but I'll keep looking and post it later if I find anything.

Historical Marker located on the east end of the traffic island. Junction of Rt 4 and Rt 20.

View eastward, with the Historical Marker on the far left, behind the information booth.

Closer view of the marker.

Plaque dedicated to the Men and Women who have served to protect our freedoms that we too often take for granted.

View of the Veterans' Memorial.

Closeup of Veterans' Memorial. A humble tribute to those who serve and have served.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #349
pnoman OP
Just Average

Bennett-Camden - Lewis Co

Located on Rt 19 south of the Stonewall Jackson Resort. I could not find much on either of the gentlemen that is not listed on the markers.

Rt 19 is a nice ride from I-79 (Exit 91) south and east.

Historical Marker located on Rt 19 south of Stonewall Jackson Resort, near Walkersville.

View northwest-bound on Rt 19.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #350
pnoman OP
Just Average

John Barton Payne - Taylor Co.

John Barton Payne was born in Pruntytown WV in 1855 and entered politics shortly after being admitted to the bar as an attorney. He served as a judge in Chicago from 1893 - 1898. At the outbreak of WWI, he served in Washington DC as counsel for the Emergency Fleet Corporation and National Railroad Administration. In 1921, he became president of the US Red Cross, where he served until his death in 1935. His generous dontations of paintings and $100,000 led to the founding of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond VA.

In WWII, the liberty ship SS John Barton Payne was named in his honor.

Historical Marker located on Rt 50 in Pruntytown, about 3 miles west of Grafton, and about 100 meters east of the junction with Rt 250.

View eastbound on Rt 50 heading towards Grafton.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-17-2009 at 07:22 AM
Old 05-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #351
pnoman OP
Just Average

Barbour Co / Preston Co Line - Rt 92

Located on Rt 92 about 4 miles south of Rt 50 on the southwestern edge of Preston Co.

For more information on Barbour Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbour..._West_Virginia

For more information on Preston Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston..._West_Virginia

Preston County is home of the annual Buckwheat Festival.

Historical Marker southbound on Rt 92 entering Barbour Co.

Same marker (Side #2) Rt 92 northbound into Preston Co.

View southbound on Rt 92 entering Barbour Co.

View northbound on Rt 92 entering Preston Co. Some kind of drilling/construction going on to the right. Not really scenic at the moment.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #352
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
You guys will have to wait until Monday/Tuesday for the pics. But I completed an entire county today. Plus, it's a county much farther south than any other markers that have been posted.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #353
vatrader01
vatrader01

Wardensville / Population Center

Once lost, now found.

Found in Wardensville, Hardy County WV on RT 55

Old 05-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #354
vatrader01
vatrader01

Presbyterian Church Morrefield, WV

Presbyterian Church, 109 S. Main St Moorefield, Hardy County WV

My shot of the church did not turn out. I will get another and edit this post next week.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #355
vatrader01
vatrader01

Moorefield

Located at the intersection of 220 and Old RT 55 in Moorefield, Hardy County WV

Old 05-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #356
pnoman OP
Just Average

Moorefield memories

vatrader01,

Ah, Moorefield. There's alot of old memories there. My grandparents would bring me out to the stock sales in Moorefield on Saturdays when I would spend the summer with them in Petersburg. They would bring cows, pigs, chickens, eggs, butter --- you name it, they brought it and sold it. It was a big-time adventure for me as a kid. I don't even know if the stockyards are still there. Sounds like a good excuse to ride, eh?

pnoman
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 05:43 PM
Old 05-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #357
vatrader01
vatrader01

Fort Seybert

Marker is on RT 33 and South Fork Road, Oak Flat, Pendleton County WV

Entrance to the fort ruins.

Signage discourages exploring. A little on line research indicates that there is a mass grave site and footprint of the fort beyond the gate and no trespassing signs.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #358
pnoman OP
Just Average

Arthurdale - Preston Co

Arthurdale was the first of many New Deal Planned Communities established under Franklin D. Rooselvelt's administration. It was intended to take impoverished laborers, farmers, and coal miners and move them to a modern rural community that would allow them to become economically self-sufficient.
The idea for such a self-sufficient community originated when Eleanor Roosevelt learned through her friend, Lorena Hickok, of a plan to relocate a group of West Virginia coal miners to a nearby farm with the intention that they could combine subsistence farming with simple industries to reclaim their economic footing. Mrs. Roosevelt was so passionate about the concept that she brought it to the attention of her husband, who decided to place the project under the direction of the United States Dept. of the Interior.

DId it work? Read "the rest of the story" : click here.

Located west of Kingwood about 15 miles, and just east of the midway point between Morgantown and Grafton.

Historical Marker #1 - Located on Rt 92 as you enter the town northbound. Located next to a small memorial park.

[EDIT: This marker was repainted - photo taken 13 Aug 2011]

View northbound on Rt 92 (marker is on your left).

View southbound on Rt 92.

Nice WWII Veterans' Memorial located near the first marker.

Just 1/4 mile north of the first marker is this one. In another one of my "senior moments", I read the sign quickly and missed the part about the mansion. Is there one nearby? I don't know. GUILTY! I'll stop next time I'm in the area, and I promise from now on, I will read the markers SLOWLY and in their entirety.

View northbound on Rt 92.

I had to add this bit of Americana, located between the 2 markers. I haven't seen an Esso station since we were stationed in Germany from 2000-2003. At least theirs still had gas pumps.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 11:15 AM
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #359
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Putnam County is where I grew up. Lived there for 18 years, and believe me, it's changed a lot. I rode down to my parents for the first time since I've owned a bike, and thought it would be nice to complete my home county on my own. So, I submit to you, for your approval, all 15 markers left in Putnam County.

First up, the Battle of Scary. Located just south of the WV 817 (Old US 35) and Teays Valley Road (CR 33) intersection. Located in the background is the Red Line Diner, which used to be an okay place to grab a bite. It's had it's ups and downs and I'm not sure I'd swing by anymore.

Across the road, is a tribute to the battle, placed by the St. Albans chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Below provided courtesy of http://www.21stovicoe.com/battleofscarycreek.html Emphasis mine.

Quote:
The Battle of Scary Creek occured on July 17, 1861. It was fought along the banks of the of the Kanawha River, about ten miles north of Charleston, WV and about forty miles south of the Ohio River. The battle, which marked the culmination of the Kanawha Valley Campaign, was a small affiair that was more a comedy of errors than an example of strategic combat. It was fought by two armies that were inexperienced, poorly armed, and too eager for their own good. It lasted for five hours, with light casulties, and had no effect on the eventual outcome of the war. Scary Creek was a Confederate victory that, up to this point, was the largest engagement between the Union and the Confederacy and would have made headlines in Richmond had it not been for the Battle of 1st Manassas four days later. If anything was to be gained from the battle, it was the fact that a small rag tag, poorly armed and poorly trained force could, if determined, beat a much superior army. A reacurring theme throughout much of the early years of the war.
Today the battlefield at Scary Creek no longer exists. Urban sprawl has taken over and now gas stations and shops stand where the armies of the Blue and the Gray once fought for control of western Virginia. A state roadside historical marker denotes the site of the battle.
Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 11:26 PM
WVChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #360
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Just a half mile south of the Battle of Scary marker on WV 817 (again, recently changed form US 35) is the Kanawha/Putnam county line. Only three of the county line markers are left standing.

Later,
Chrome...

WVChrome screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 11:27 PM
WVChrome is offline   Reply With Quote