ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #361
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Across the river on Rt 62 the Putnam and Kanawha county line is also marked. Look at the fresh paint!

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #362
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Continue following Rt 62 along the Kanawha River and you'll come to the small town of Bancroft. Folks, you can see the welcome sign on the other side of town from each one. It's that small.

The markers for "Washington's Land" and "Andrew and Charles Lewis March" are located just a mile north of Bancroft in a nice little roadside park. The "Washington's Land" marker was brand spankin' new, but I guess DOT couldn't be bothered to paint the other marker while they were there.

Also at the park is a small monument to Washington's land.

The monument reads:

Quote:
George Washington

Acquired 7,276 acres of this land
by a grant, dated December 1, 1773,
issued to him by
John Murray, Earl of Dunmore,
Last Royal Governor of Virginia.

This tract was surveyed, July 1773, by
William Crawford, upon warrants issued to
George Washington for 3,953 acres and to
George Muse for 3,323 acres, for services
in the French and Indian War. It bordered
on the Great Kanawha, twelve miles
and two hundred and twenty seven poles.

Erected by the State of West Virginia.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #363
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Keep on traveling on 62 and you'll come to Red House Hill. Just before Red House is the "Red House Shoals/Civil War Action" marker.

Red House Hill is on the right, just past this marker. The road, Rt 34 North, has one of those twisty signs warning of curvy roads for 20 miles. Nothing super twisty, but very curvy with little traffic. A fantastic ride till at least the Jackson county line.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #364
WVChrome
KLR Owner

After passing Red House Hill, and then the Winfield Bridge (I'll double back and cross that later) you'll come to the town of Eleanor. Eleanor is so full of history I'm quite upset it doesn't have it's own marker.

According to the welcome signs, it's the "Cleanest town in WV." I believe it, zero litter along the roads. The town does one heck of a job cleaning up after itself.

Just a little bit on the town of Eleanor. It was originally named Red House Farms became one of three Subsistence Homesteads built in WV under President Roosevelt's administration. Eleanor Roosevelt took a great interest in the project and visited the site as many as five times. In 1935, the name was changed to Eleanor in her honor. This section of 62 is known locally as "Roosevelt Blvd."

The Red House, also known as the Ruffner House, was supposedly built in 1840 by Peter Ruffner, but the building may have been standing as early as 1825. Lots of lore about this house. Rumor has it a slave was murdered on the third floor balcony. I've also heard there is a secret passage under the house that leads to the river.

I had the honor of being invited to the house in high school. The interior is just as rich and beautiful as the exterior. Although I couldn't find the tunnel, there is definately some interesting design to the basement.

For some thorough history on both the Red House and Eleanor, visit the town's history web page. http://eleanorwv.20m.com/p8.htm

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #365
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Further on, on Rt. 62 just past the Buffalo Bridge, is the "Excavations/Indian Village" Marker. The marker itself is in dire need of a good coat of paint but there is no damage or rust evident yet. Just to the left of the first picture, you can see a large, no HUGE, building. This is Toyota's manufacturing plant. I remember when it opened, it breathed amazing life into the area and probably saved the town of Buffalo from extinction, and it's high school from consolidation. When building the plant, more Native American remains were found, and construction was halted several times while archaeologists excavated them.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #366
WVChrome
KLR Owner

In the town of Buffalo, I grabbed this nice two fer located in Buffalo Historic Square. The square is flanked by two old churches which are still being used today.

Also here is a tribute to General John McCausland. I'm unsure of what the other names on the markers are.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #367
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Doubling back on 62 and crossing the Winfield Bridge, I came to the County Seat. I would have loved to taken a picture of the rifle pits, but I have no idea where they are. And I went to school in this town for seven years!

The courthouse is gorgeous and has several monuments in front of it. The sword in the stone looking monument is a tribute to GI KIA,MIA, and POW. The bell is a "Freedom Bell" that I wish I had more information on. Lastly is a fine statue dedication to soldiers from Putnam who gave their lives on the battlefield. Each side dedicates a major war. I did not think to check if it has yet to be updated for my friend, PFC Michael Slater killed 2007 in Iraq when his Humvee flipped during a training exercise. I will have to go back and see.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #368
WVChrome
KLR Owner

From Winfield, if you take Rt. 34 South, you come to Hurricane, Winfield's bitter rivals. At the Rt 34 and US 60 intersection lies a double sided marker. This area is where locals come to peddle their junk. The lady's setup behind the marker was selling artificial flowers and wreathes. The paint on this marker is good, that's just dirt and grime from the tree.

For more history on the church, see their website: http://www.fbcoh.com/history.html

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #369
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Continuing South on 34, you will reach the Lincoln county line. Please note the road from the intersection of US 60 is in poor condition.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #370
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Sorry, no pictures in this post, just a list of missing markers.

Cabell County/Putnam County on US 60
Kanawha County/Putnam County on WV 25 (Confirmed missing)
Mason County/Putnam County on US 35
Mason County/Putnam County on WV 62
Jackson County/Putnam County on WV 34 (Confirmed missing)
Kanawha County/Putnam County on US 60

Military Survey/Nitro, the state thinks this marker is in Putnam county. However, the directions on the state's site and book are correct. It is on WV 25, 0.6 miles east of Sattes Bridge. This puts it in Kanawha county. The marker is there, in that location, but I was unable to stop.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #371
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,913
Excellent Writeups

WVUChrome,

Excellent writeups and photos. It's interesting documenting your own stomping grounds where you grew up, isn't it?

It was interesting to read about the town of Eleanor. I just posted the markers at Arthurdale (up near Kingwood in Preston Co). That was the first of Eleanor Roosevelts many homestead projects. Small world.

Sorry about your friend in Iraq. I hope his name is added to the list. Whether killed in combat or training, all military losses are tragic.

Thanks again, and looking forward to more in the future.

pnoman
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #372
pnoman OP
Just Average

Point Pleasant - Mason Co

On my recent WV Tag-O-Rama visit to Point Pleasant to drop the "Mothman" tag, I also tagged several interesting markers. This small town has probably one of the highest markers-per-acre rates in the state, with the possible exception of Harpers Ferry.

This town of 4,600 is probably best-known for the Mothman legend surrounding the Silver Bridge Collapse which killed 46 people in December 1967. But the history started long before that. In October 1774, the Battle of Point Pleasant was the first battle of the American Revolutionary War.

To read more about Point Pleasant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_P..._West_Virginia

One of two markers located on the NW corner of the Courthouse. (Marker #1, Side #1)

Same marker (Marker #1, Side #2)

Within arm's reach of the first marker is this one. (Marker #2, Side #1)

Marker #2, Side #2.

View looking east along the north side of the Courthouse.

View down Main St
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-21-2009 at 05:02 AM
Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #373
pnoman OP
Just Average

Boones Trading Post - Mason Co

That Daniel Boone fella sure got around. Is there anywhere in this great country he DIDN'T live and influence?

For the complete life history of this larger-than-life man: (funny, but he dosen't look much like Fess Parker in the painting)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone

Located on Rt 2 just outside the city of Point Pleasant.

View westbound on Rt 2 entering Point Pleasant.

View eastbound on Rt 2 leaving Point Pleasant.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #374
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Hey, Pnoman, did you miss the "Silver Bridge Collapse" Marker? It was right behind you when you took the shot of the two markers at the Courthouse corner. It is hidden behind a tree though. I stopped today and shot the same ones as you too. I won't double post them here though. I will upload them to my Photobucket. Check out my sig for the link to all the historical markers I've visted.

The bricks and plaque are a tribute to the people who lost thier lives in the icy waters of the Ohio River. Each brick bares the name of a live lost. Keep in mind, this is a small area for such a large number dead.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #375
pnoman OP
Just Average

Silver Bridge Collapse - Point Pleasant, Mason Co.

On December 15,1967 at approximately 5 p.m., the U.S. Highway 35 bridge connecting Point Pleasant, West Virginia and Kanauga, Ohio suddenly collapsed into the Ohio River. At the time of failure, thirty- seven vehicles were crossing the bridge span, and thirty-one of those automobiles fell with the bridge. Forty- six individuals perished with the buckling of the bridge and nine were seriously injured.(1) Along with the numerous fatalities and injuries, a major transportation route connecting West Virginia and Ohio was destroyed, disrupting the lives of many and striking fear across the nation.

To read the complete story: http://www.wvculture.org/HiStory/wvhs1504.html

Historical Marker located on Main St.

The marker is located on this closed-street section that appears to be the old route leading to the bridge. (Behind the flood wall in the background is the Ohio River)

Memorial plaque by the marker.

Photo (painting?) of the Silver Bridge.

EDIT: Dang, I just got Bruced on my Markers Thread!!! I've been on and off the computer the last 30 minutes working on this and when I posted it, yours popped up. I still have about 6 markers to go, but feel free to add yours also.

EDIT #2 - I just realized we BOTH got Bruced on this one by Grape Ape - Post #132.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 05:43 PM