ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #451
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUChrome
Enterprise, WV has it's own marker located along US19. I regret being unable to photograph the block house mentioned in the marker due to time constraints. It's not too far from here, so I'll see if I can't pop down again soon and see it.

Later,
Chrome...

Chrome - Save yourself a trip - I looked for the blockhouse when I posted this one back on #53. The locals told me the blockhouse was torn down about 10-15 years ago. One that I could not find, though, was the Revolutionary Graves in Enterprise. Nobody knew about that one. It was an early Sunday morning and not many people were stirring.

You Bruced me on Coon's Fort, though. I was up there last weekend and photo'd several markers in the Farmington/Fairmont area. I've still got about 20 to post, but it's hard to find the time. Last night I played Plumber Man and fixed our toilet. I guess a flushing toilet is a slightly higher priority than posting my completed markers, but not by much.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-04-2009 at 03:46 AM
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #452
pnoman OP
Just Average

Coon's Fort - Marion Co (Duplicate Post)

Bruced again! Thanks, Chrome!

I rode up to Marion County last Sunday and made a loop around Farmington and Fairmont. I was slow to post, though, so WVU Chrome beat me to it.

Coon's Fort marker was stolen a couple of years ago, and was just recently replaced. After photographing the marker, I stopped by a nearby house and asked a gentleman if he knew anything about the fort. Turns out his family farms that land. No, there's nothing left of the fort or the iron furnace. Too bad.

Historical Marker located on Rt 19 just north of the Rt 218 junction.

View north on Rt 19.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #453
pnoman OP
Just Average

Flaggy Meadow / Mannington - Marion Co

Located on Rt 250 about 10-12 miles west of Fairmont. Nice small-town setting with friendly folks. (A few stopped to talk while I was taking photos )

Historical Marker located in Mannington on Rt 250 at junction with CR1. (Side #1)

Same marker - Side #2.

For more on Mannington: http://s207653679.onlinehome.us/wsb4...adowMannington

View westbound on Rt 250 into Mannington.

I rode south a ways to see if I could find any of the old oil/gas wells. I did not see any, but I did find the round barn about a mile southwest of the marker. Looks like the 4H and other civic groups use it. Nice!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #454
pnoman OP
Just Average

Waitman T. Willey - Marion Co

Located in Farmington, just off Rt 250 about 6 miles west of Fairmont. Another nice small town that time forgot.

Waitman T. Willey was a politician and lawyer from Farmington who served in the U.S. Senate for both Virginia and West Virginia.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waitman_T._Willey

Historical Marker located at the entrance to Farmington off Rt 250.

Welcome to Farmington.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-04-2009 at 07:02 PM
Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #455
pnoman OP
Just Average

Farmington Mine Disaster - Marion Co

The Farmington Mine disaster was an explosion that happened at approximately 5:30 a.m. on Nov 20, 1968, at the Consol No. 9 coal mine near Farmington, WV. The explosion tore a large hole in the mine, and was large enough to be felt in Fairmont, almost twelve miles away. At the time, 99 miners were inside. Over the course of the next few hours, 21 miners were able to escape the mine, but 78 were still trapped. All who were unable to escape perished; the bodies of nineteen of the dead were never recovered. The cause of the explosion was never determined, but the accident served as the catalyst for several new laws that were passed to protect miners.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmington_Mine_Disaster

Historical Marker located on Rt 250 just east of turnoff for Farmington. A bleak reminder of the dangers of mining. There are so many similar reminders all over WV.

EDIT: MARKER HAS BEEN REFURBISHED - SEE POST #1369 - PAGE 92

View westbound on Rt 250 approaching turnoff for Farmington.

Photo of the mine explosion in Nov, 1968.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 03:49 PM
Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #456
pnoman OP
Just Average

Barrackville Covered Bridge - Marion Co

Located in Barrackville, north of Rt 250 about 3 miles west of Fairmont.

The Barrackville Covered Bridge spans 145 feet in a single span across Buffalo Creek near Barrackville, WV. Built in 1853 by local bridge builder Lemuel Chenoweth, the structure is a modified arched burr truss, with siding added twenty years after the bridge's construction.

Just to refresh your memory, Lemuel Chenoweth also designed/built the covered bridge at Philippi. This bridge and the Philippi Covered Bridge are the only two of his bridges that are still standing (that I know of).

Historical Marker located on north side of Barrackville along CR21.

View of Marker and Bridge northbound.

Nice view of the bridge.

View inside the bridge.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #457
pnoman OP
Just Average

First Father's Day Service - Marion Co

Located in front of Central United Methodist Church in Fairmont, where the first Father's Day Service was held July 5, 1908.

For more information on Father's Day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father's_Day

Historical Marker located on corner of Fairmont Ave and 3rd St.

Central United Methodist Church. (I've played organ here a few times as a sub - nice service and great folks!)
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #458
pnoman OP
Just Average

Confederate Cemetery - Marion Co

Located near the east end of the David Morgan Memorial Bridge on 3rd St. in Fairmont.

Unfortunately, it appears as though the cemetery was covered in cement for the bridge footings. I asked several locals, including the owner of the flower nursery under the bridge, and they all said "it was under that pillar", pointing under the bridge to the tall concrete pillars holding up the highway 100 feet above. How sad. I cannot find any record of the bodies being exhumed and re-buried.

Historical Marker located at the east end of the David Morgan Memorial Bridge.

The road to the right turns immediately and goes under the bridge. (See next photo)

Under the bridge, this is where the locals all point to where the cemetery was located.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #459
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rt 73 Marion / Taylor Co Line

Located just south of Boothsville, about 6 miles south of Fairmont along CR 73. This used to be the main (re: only!) road between Clarksburg and Fairmont before the Interstate came through in the 70's. Just north of this marker is a small town of Eldora, where we sometimes went to the 1/4-Mile Dragstrip. I didn't see any signs for it, so I'm guessing it has achieved the status of "historical memory".

Historical Marker (Side #1) heading north into Marion Co. on CR73.

View northbound into Marion Co.

Same marker, Side #2. Southbound into Taylor Co. for just a couple of miles. The road cuts through the westernmost tip of Taylor Co. at an angle before entering Harrison Co. (see upcoming post).

Southbound into Taylor Co. on CR 73.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #460
pnoman OP
Just Average

David Morgan / Patriot Defender - Marion Co

Oops, almost missed this one from back in Fairmont. Located on the west end of the David Morgan Memorial Bridge, in a small turnout/parking lot. Easy to miss.

For an interesting story (really!) on the WV History website, click here. Apparently, he was 60 years old when he fought off 2 Indians.

Historical Marker located on west end of David Morgan Memorial Bridge. (Side #1) (The Confederate Cemetery featured in the earlier post was located under this bridge)

Same Marker - Side #2.

Better view of the marker and bridge.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-06-2009 at 03:16 AM
Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #461
pnoman OP
Just Average

Boothsville - Marion Co (Just barely!)

Located about 50 meters north of the Taylor Co line. Named for Capt James Booth, who was killed nearby by Indians.

Historical Marker located on CR73 just north of the Taylor Co line.

View north on CR 73. You can see some of this in the previous photo of the Marion/Taylor Co line, looking north. That marker is just about 100 meters behind me at this point.

As I was taking this photo of looking southbound on CR73, an older gentleman came out of the house to the left and started talking. When he found out what I was doing, he told me about the stone marker for Capt Booth that is located in a field just a few miles north, and off on a side road. Too good to pass up, so I backtracked to check it out.

After passing through Eldora and Hillview (going north), I turned left (west) onto CR 56 and followed it for a little over a mile. Suddenly, there it was, up on the hill to the right. If you weren't looking for it, it would be easy to just pass right by.

Closer view of the stone marker - about 5 feet tall.

Plaque reads : Captain Booth migrated from the valley of Virginia to this valley in 1768-and founded the first settlement here in 1772. He was fired upon and killed by a party of Shawnee Indians on June 16th 1778 at a point on the near shore of the stream about 200 yards below here and lies buried at this spot. He was a highly esteemed man of education and character, A surveyor, pioneer, settler and patriot. A friend of General George Washington under whom he served as an officer and with whom he made surveying and exploring expedition of the great Kanawha Valley.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #462
pnoman OP
Just Average

CR 73 - Taylor Co / Harrison Co Line

Located about 3 or 4 miles south of Boothsville, and about 6-8 miles north of Clarksburg.

For more on Taylor Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_..._West_Virginia

For more on Harrison Co: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriso..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker - Side #1, northbound entering Taylor Co

See Post #79 for more on T. Bailey Brown.

View northbound on CR 73

Same Marker - Side #2. Southbound entering Harrison Co.

View south on CR 73 entering Harrison Co.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #463
pnoman OP
Just Average

Fort Minear / First County Seat - Tucker Co

Located in St. George, about 5 miles north of Parsons along Rt 72.

Originally known as Fort Minear and then as Westernford, St. George was settled in 1774 by German immigrant John Minear and his son, Jonathan, after early scouting visits to the area.
In 1856, an act creating the county specified that Tucker's county court was to be held on the lands of Enoch Minear, descendant of Jonathan Minear. The town was then renamed Saint George in honor of Henry St. George Tucker, Jr (1828-1863), the son of the county's namesake, Henry St. George Tucker, Sr (1780-1848). On the evening of Aug 1, 1893 vigilantes from Parsons seeking to move the county seat broke into the courthouse and stole the county records and the courthouse bell, moving the government of Tucker County to Parsons.

Historical Marker located on CR1, across the bridge from Rt 72 at St George. (Side #1)

Same Marker, Side #2.

View southeast on CR 1 passing through St Thomas.

Nice scenery just across the bridge from Rt 72.

Passing over the bridge to get back on Rt 72, something caught my eye. I had to stop and turn around - is that what I REALLY saw? Sure enough! This is my idea of a perfect retirement island in WV. All I need is a mini fridge for the beer, and wifi connection, and I'm good to go. How did they get that chair up there? I've envisioned lots of scenarios with 2 or 3 guys and ropes and rowboats, but the possibilities are endless.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 06:24 PM
Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #464
pnoman OP
Just Average

St George - Tucker Co

See previous post on Ft Minear / First County Seat for photos.

St Thomas is located on Rt 72 about 5 miles north of Parsons.

Historical Marker located on Rt 72 about 4 miles north of Parsons, and about 1/2 mile south of the CR 1 turnoff.

View southbound on Rt 72. Nice, foggy morning. Not enough to make the ride hazardous, just adds an ethereal mood.

Rt 72 is a great ride. In fact, just about any road you take in this part of WV is great riding. Hard to go too wrong here.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #465
pnoman OP
Just Average

Parsons / Corrick's Ford - Tucker Co

Parsons is located about 20-25 miles southwest of the Fairfax Stone and the south-west tip of Maryland. You can't get there on a boring road. All roads in and out are great rides. Don't drive the in-laws-that-get-carsick-on-curvy-roads here unless you like to clean puke out of your car.

Population 1,463 at the last census. County Seat of Tucker Co. since the residents of this fine 'burg marched over to St Thomas and "acquired" all of the records and documents for the county back in Aug 1893.

For more information on Parsons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsons,_West_Virginia

Historical Marker located at the junction of Rt 219 and Rt 72 in downtown Parsons. (Parking lot of Sheetz Gas Station) Side #1 "Tomahawk Rights"??? They also did that at the Levi Shinn House in Shinnston back in Post #48.

Same Marker - Side #2 (There is going to be a separate post for this site coming soon, as it has a marker all of it's own a mile south)

Looking eastbound on Rt 72 - Courthouse is to the left. Word of warning: The first time I rode through Parsons and stopped here, I was talking with another rider at the gas station who was waiting on his riding buddy, who was in the courthouse talking with the Judge. Seems the two Ohio guys came into town on their Ducatis at a, ummm..... slightly higher speed than the local police officer deemed to be safe for the women and children of the town. This was on a Sunday morning. Early. I seriously doubt if the Judge really wanted to be there on a Sunday morning. Recommendation - go 25MPH like it says unless you have spare time and spare cash to spend in Parsons.

Looking north on Rt 72 leaving Parsons heading toward St Thomas.

One of the highlights of this small town (at least for me, being a USAF Retiree), is this Veterans' Memorial in the heart of town. There are numerous plaques dedicated to the men and women who served in all wars and conflicts of the past century. The following photos are pretty much self-explanatory.

Quite an impressive memorial! A vivid reminder that our freedoms came at a high price of lives sacrificed.

No, I didn't forget about Corrick's Ford. It has it's own post coming soon. The Corrick's Ford Marker is located about 1 mile south of this one. Check back soon.

www.RidingWV.com