ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #466
sekalilagi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Organ Cave - Monroe County

I was tooling along the Midland Trail the other day, mildly lost but with mostly a full tank of gas when I happened upon this marker. It is a few miles from the cave itself, exact location of the marker is N 37° 42.742 W 080° 26.449.
Organ cave gets its name from a massive calcite formation called the 'Rock Organ'.
From the website:
Beginning in 1822, stagecoaches ran regularly between resorts in White Sulphur Springs and Salt Sulphur Springs carrying passengers and mail. At this time the cave was known as “John Roger’s Stage Coach Stop”. In 1835, the cave was first opened to the public, one of the earliest commercial cave tours in the United States.
Organ Cave is probably the most historic cave in the USA. It houses the largest collection of Civil War Hoppers left in the USA that are located in one place. The first recording of the grizzly bear, the saber tooth cat, and the nine banded armadillo found here at the cave are the first to be recorded east of the Mississippi River. The walls serve as a museum for Native American writings and sketches plus many other writings and petroglyphs. The petroglyphs age and meaning are still unknown.

sekalilagi screwed with this post 06-08-2009 at 10:23 PM
sekalilagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #467
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 582
Bartley Mine Disaster

Not much to add to this one. It's just on the edge of the road, and I had to do a telephoto so as not to get run over by a coal or timber truck. Anyone interested can find more info here.
It is located in Bartley, WV on route 83.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #468
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,913
Corrick's Ford - Tucker Co

Located on Rt 219 just south of Parsons.

Corrick’s Ford was a minor battle during the West Virginia campaign of 1861, noteworthy mainly for the death of the Confederate commander, Robert S. Garnett, who became the first civil war general to die in battle. Garnett had been commanding a Confederate force 4,500 strong at Beverly, where he could block the passes between the Shenandoah Valley and West Virginia. On 12 July his position north of Beverly had been outflanked by a much larger Union army (Battle of Rich Mt on 12 July) and Garnett forced into a retreat north east across the mountains of West Virginia.

A pursuit was soon mounted, and at about noon on 13 July caught up with Garnett’s rearguard. A running fight followed, and lasted for the next two hours. The fiercest fighting occurred around Corrick’s (or Carrick’s) Ford. Garnett was conducting that retreat with some skill, until he was killed crossing another ford. Soon after this the pursuit was halted and the remaining Confederate troops were able to escape back into Virginia.

Historical Marker located on Rt 219 about 1 mile from the junction of Rt 219 and Rt 72, just below Parsons.

In addition to the Historical Marker, there is a stone monument with plaque at the site.

Plaque on the stone.

View south-west on Rt 219 on the south side of Parsons.

One of the few views of the river through the thick foliage.

Like I said before, any road in or out of Parsons is a great ride. Just watch your speed coming through Parsons. Just ask the Ducati boys from Ohio.

I've been busy on the spreadsheet version of the markers. I finished all 1,244 lines of data entry and I'm going through and updating all information. Hope to have it done in the coming week. Thanks for your patience - I think it will be worth it. Easy to print out and take with you too, since it is about 25 pages.

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #469
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,187
dang, need to make some time to get back and work on the map
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #470
pnoman OP
Just Average

Master List on Excel Spreadsheet

OK, after many hours of tedious typing and cross-checking, here is the Excel Spreadsheet version of the markers list. By clicking on the bottom tabs, you can view it by:

1) Master List - County by County with all posted, unposted, and missing markers.

2) List by Post # - Starting with vatrader01's "Eagle Rocks" up to the most current, in order they appeared in the thread.

3) By Rider - listed alphabetically by rider.

4) Available Markers - easy way to see what's still out there waiting.

I have added the link to my signature block, so you can access it easier.

I'm sure there will be revisions/changes as you all give me input and corrections. I hope this is easier to use than the Word format version.

Click here for the Spreadsheet.

If you do not have Excel or another program that will open a spreadsheet, try downloading Open Office and use their spreadsheet program. It's free and works just like Excel (many say "even better").

Go to: http://www.openoffice.org/ and select "I want to download OpenOffice.Org"
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #471
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Thanks for the hard work, it will make it very easy to track them now. I'm considering taking a few days and starting at the tip top of the northern panhandle and hitting them all on the way south. Depends on the weather and time off work I can get. But, if the stars align I'd love to do it.

I noticed two markers in Putnam county.

The Military survey marker is in Kanawha. It's a typo that it's listed in Putnam. Also, I confirmed the Jackson/Putnam marker is missing.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #472
pnoman OP
Just Average

Corrections

Thanks, Chrome, I will make the corrections on the next edit.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #473
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oriskany Sand - Pendleton Co

This one's for you, vatrader01. I know how fond you are of the Oriskany Sand Markers . You can add this one to your list.

Notes from a Juniata College report:

The Lower Devonian Oriskany Sandstone of the Appalachian Valley and Ridge (the Ridgeley Sandstone in PA), a quartz arenite, is one of the most economically important formations in the Northeast. It is one of the finest glass sands in the world and is one of the two principal gas producing formations in Pennsylvania.

To read the entire report - Click Here.

Historical Marker located on Rt 28/33 in Riverton, about 8 - 10 miles south of Seneca Rocks.

View northbound on Rt 28/33 in Riverton.

View of the sandstone cliff across the road from the marker.

GREAT riding in this area of WV. You can't go wrong with any route you choose.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #474
pnoman OP
Just Average

Tuscarora Sand - Pendleton Co

As long as we're on the geological theme, here's the Tuscarora Sand Marker located at the junction of Rt 28 and Rt 33 at Judy Gap, about 10 miles west of Franklin. (Might I say, 10 of some of the most entertaining miles in WV )

The Tuscarora Sandstone (also known as the Clinch Sandstone and the Massanutten Sandstone) is a layer of rock only about 50 feet thick. It is a major ridge-forming layer of rock in western Virginia and Eastern West Virginia. Seneca Rocks is part of the Tuscarora Formation.
It is a particularly pure bed of quartz, compressed into sandstone by several cycles of mountain building. In the initial cycle, perhaps 2 billion years ago, a sandy beach was compressed into sandstone and thewn uplifted into a mountain range. The mountains eroded, and the beach sands created another beach. This second time, the quartz grains had fewer impurities (silt, limestone, feldspar, etc.) mixed in.

To read more - Click Here.

Historical Marker located at the junction of Rt 28 and Rt 33 at Judy Gap.

Heading west from Franklin, Rt 28 turns left (south) and Rt 28/33 continues straight ahead and bears right (north) toward Seneca Rocks.

(File Photo) Judy Rocks area. From last summer, this is Rt 33 westbound just a couple of miles before reaching the marker. I was going to stop and take this photo again, but I was having too much fun on this stretch of Rt 33.

A few miles north of the marker, similar outcroppings near Riverton.

I took a detour up one of the backroads (CR9-4) at Riverton looking for a cemetery marker (no luck) but was rewarded with this magnificent view of the rocks on the way back down to the highway.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #475
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 582
Awesome!

Awesome markers pnoman. I spent many-a-deer seasons on the top of North Mountain, overlooking that whole area! Camped a night up there with the KLR on a long road trip here.

Now I need to get to work grabbing some of the markers around here! I have been busy taggin'.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 AM   #476
pnoman OP
Just Average

Devonian Shale - Pendleton Co

And the Geological Theme continues . Located just south of Franklin on Rt 220 is this marker and nice example of Devonian Shale. Gee, the stuff you learn when you ride a motorcycle!!

From NaturalGas.Org website - Click Here

Devonian Shale Gas
Natural gas can also exist in Devonian shale deposits. Devonian shales are formed from the mud of shallow seas that existed about 350 million years ago (during the Devonian period of the Paleozoic era). Shale is a very fine-grained sedimentary rock, which is easily breakable into thin, parallel layers. It is a very soft rock, but does not disintegrate when it becomes wet. These shales can contain natural gas, usually when two thick, black shale deposits 'sandwich' a thinner area of shale. Because of some of the properties of these shales, the extraction of natural gas from shale formations is more difficult (and thus expensive!) than extraction of conventional natural gas. Most of the natural gas containing Devonian shale in the U.S. is located around the Appalachian Basin. Although estimates of the amount of natural gas contained in these shales are high, it is expected that only about 10 percent of the gas is recoverable. However, their potential as a natural gas supply is still very promising, given an adequate technological and economic environment. The EIA estimates that there are 55.42 Tcf of technically recoverable shale gas in the United States, representing just under 5 percent of total recoverable resources.

Historical Marker located just south of Franklin on Rt 220.

Not much room to pull off the highway.

Closeup of the shale. I'm guessing this is probably what the Indians used to make arrowheads, as it appears to be the same thickness/texture/color as the ones we used to find on our farm near Petersburg.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-17-2009 at 03:13 AM
Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 AM   #477
pnoman OP
Just Average

Franklin - Pendleton Co

Population about 800. County seat of Pendleton Co. No way in or out of town except on great riding roads .

Also famous (at least in our household) for being the birthplace of my Dad.

Franklin is located in the center of Pendleton Co. It's just a 20-25 mile ride east on Rt 33 or south on Rt 220 to the Virginia line. Either road is a great ride.

Historical Marker located by the courthouse on Rt 220 (Main St) south of the junction with Rt 33. Funny, the sign doesn't mention Franklin being my Dad's birthplace.

View of the Courthouse.

View northbound on Rt 220 (Main St) from the Courthouse.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #478
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Vincent Williams

Marker is located on Route 5 Patterson Creek Road, north of Williamsport, Grant County WV

I wanted to explore this area to locate the cemetery and possible cabin remains, however, to the right of the photo with the bike is a sign warning of quarantine, bird disease, pestilence, generally stating that my presence may bring about life threatening conditions. Another sign indicates that I would be on the road to a healthy lifestyle by eating their chickens.

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #479
vatrader01
vatrader01

Mechanicsburg Gap / Col. Claudius Crozet

Marker located on Route 50 west of Romney, Hampshire County WV

The flip side of the same sign.

The Mechanicsburg Gap, looking west.

There seemed to be more to the story regarding Col. Claudius Crozet. With my daily refined and honed skills of Google-fu, I learned this:

http://www.nrhs.com/spot/crozet/index.html

Thought to be one of the first to use the chalkboard as an instructional tool while at West Point.

At the Time of construction, engineered the longest train tunnel in the world. The 4273 foot tunnel through the rock-solid mountain below Rockfish Gap carried traffic from 1858–1944.

Has a community named for him, Crozet, Albemarle County Virginia.

Col. Crozet lived a well travelled life. And continues to travel in death...

http://washdateline.mgnetwork.com/in...27&GroupID=214

Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #480
vatrader01
vatrader01

Vandiver-Trout-Clause House

Marker and house are located on Route 50 and Knobley Road, Ridgeville, Hampshire County WV.