ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #571
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Marion Co / Monongalia Co Line - Rt 73

Located on Rt 73 about 6 - 8 miles northeast of Fairmont. This was the old road connecting Clarksburg-Fairmont-Morgantown, so it parallels the Interstate (I-79) quite a bit. Nice ride if you're tired of "slabbing" up and down I-79 all the time and dealing with construction delays.

For more on Marion Co:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_..._West_Virginia

For more on Monongalia Co:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mononga..._West_Virginia

Southbound on Rt 73 entering Marion Co.

View southbound on Rt 73. Nice relaxing ride!

Northbound entering Monongalia Co.

View northbound on Rt 73.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #572
pnoman OP
Just Average

Newspaper Article - Clarksburg Exponent Telegram - Sunday 2 August 2009

Here's a copy of the article in last Sunday's Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram. There was also a photo of me and the Strom in front of the Towers School Marker in downtown Clarksburg.

"Preserving History on Two Wheels"
by Julie Perine
Lifestyles Editor

CLARKSBURG — The wheels were already in motion, but Mike Elyard and friends have certainly accelerated a statewide project of the West Virginia Division of Culture and History.

“We’re currently involved in a refurbishing project, replacing or repairing about 300 historic markers — some which have been around since 1937 and in desperate need of repair,” said state archivist Joe Geiger. “Michael Elyard put together a motorcyclists blog, posting pictures he has taken of historic markers, giving us a look at their condition and aiding us in the decision-making process of which ones need attention.”

Now involved heavily in the project, Elyard, a Clarksburg-based biker, stumbled upon it by accident. “It actually started with a game of photo tag a group of motorcyclists were doing,” he said. “Last fall, just by chance, I went to the geographical center of the state just below Sutton, and there was a historic marker there I used as the photo tag.” Elyard became interested in the markers, noticing them along his West Virginia travels.
“They tell a lot of history and are interesting ties to the past,” he said. “As you read one marker and research the location, you find it has something to do with another marker somewhere else.”

After placing a call to Geiger to inquire about the historic marker network, he learned of the refurbishing project. Geiger said the phone conversation was good timing and initiated a valuable partnership with Elyard and his fellow motorcycle enthusiasts. Their up-to-date photos are a much better gauge for the refurbishment project than a survey conducted nearly a decade ago.

Approximately 20 bikers — members of the Adventure Rider online forum — have served as the eyes for the statewide program. It’s interesting to note, Elyard said, that about half of the participating bikers live in bordering states. The joint efforts have resulted in the documentation of about 500 markers to date. “We’ve been to the Eastern and Northern panhandles down to about Glenville,” Elyard said. “We still have a lot of work to do in the southern half of the state. We’re working our way down.”

Elyard has put several thousand miles on his 2005 Suzuki V-Strom, his travels taking him from Wheeling to Point Pleasant to Mount Storm. At last count, he had photographed and documented 220 markers himself.

He has discovered some of his favorites practically right in his own backyard.

“Just a mile from my house at Jackson Park, there’s a marker where Dolley Madison’s mother and sister were buried,” he said. “And on the other side of town near Wendy’s and Subway, there’s one about John Simpson.”
For a link to Elyard’s thread on the Adventure Rider Web site, where all of the bikers’ handiwork can be seen, visit www.michaelelyard.com.

Funded by legislative appropriations and West Virginia Division of Highways grants, the refurbishing project will greatly enhance the marker system — icons of the Mountain State’s highways and byways, Geiger said.
Started during the Great Depression to bring tourism, the historic marker program grew to number more than 1,000 markers across 55 counties. About 700 markers are in place today.

The restoration partnership will also prove valuable to updating a book titled “Marking Our Past: West Virginia’s Historical Highway Markers.” The publication, available for purchase at wvculture.org/history/markers.html, is a take-along collection of historic markers and location history. “It’s a cool thing,” Geiger said. “If you don’t have time to stop and read the markers, you can refer to the book.”

In the North Central West Virginia area, more than 40 historic markers have been refurbished to date. Rick Reed and workers of the Division of Highways District 4 Sign Shop are to be commended for their efforts, Geiger said.

Copyright - Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram. Please do not copy or reprint without written permission from them. Thanks!

www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #573
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
That was a nice article Pnoman! Maybe someone should tip off the Daily Mail and the Gazette down in Charleston about our photo op with the Governor. May even bring some new faces to the site.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #574
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVChrome
That was a nice article Pnoman! Maybe someone should tip off the Daily Mail and the Gazette down in Charleston about our photo op with the Governor. May even bring some new faces to the site.

Later,
Chrome...
I think Mr Geiger has something lined up already. I'm still waiting on a definite confirmation for Gov Manchin and the photo shoot. Right now, it's a "most likely". Only 17 days - we should hopefully hear from him soon. Mr Geiger sent him a copy of the article, so maybe it will let him know we're pretty involved with this project.

I think it would be cool to invite the Gov out to lunch - he must know of a good BBQ joint in the Charleston area.

Thanks, and hope to see you (and everyone else) in a couple of weeks.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #575
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Markers

Hi, I'm new and I have photos to upload. I am using Jpeg format. Size is less than 1000 and under 146 kb. Why are they not uploading? I have some Boone, Wyoming, and Logan markers....please help!

DipStick screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 05:48 PM
DipStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #576
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipStick
Hi, I'm new and I have photos to upload. I am using Jpeg format. Size is less than 1000 and under 146 kb. Why are they not uploading? I have some Boone, Wyoming, and Logan markers....please help!
I just tried an attachment, and it worked OK. There have been occasions that they've cut them off when they're out of storage space, but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

What error message are you getting? Also, once you have uploaded the file, you close that window. You then have to hit the paperclip button again. Your file should be there with an Add Attachment note at the that window. That will place the file in the text body.

You may already know this, so I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, or anything. Just passing it along JIC you didn't know the entire sequence.

Also, you can only place one attachment per message. You'll get an error message if you try to upload another file to the same post.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #577
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co markers

Thanks for your response.
The error message reads, upload of file failed.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #578
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Thanks for your response.
The error message reads, upload of file failed.
Sorry, but I'm not going to be able to help. I resorted to posting photos in a photo folder with my home website, and just link to them. If you have a personal website with storage space, you may be able to do the same. (Although Charter didn't like me doing that when we lived in Illinois)

If you do a search, I think there are some threads dedicated to this topic that may help. Good luck, and thanks for joining in!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #579
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Look here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...66&postcount=1
Grape_Ape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #580
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone County

These markers and photos are in Boone Co. All but one are located at the Madison Courthouse. The Boone Co marker is shared with Wyoming Co on Rt 85 going south after the JCT with Rt 99. The courthouse is beautiful and has two monuments in the courtyard. One for the coal miners on the right and on the left for veterans.

Thanks pnoman for your help

Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #581
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co

Boone County Courthouse marker.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #582
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co

This is the Madison marker.
This past winter my daughter had to make a WV scrapbook for a school project. It was then that I became hooked on the markers.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #583
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co

This is the Boone Co and Wyoming marker...Boone side on Rt85.
Rt 99 goes over Bolt Mt.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #584
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co

This is the Coal Miner Statue in the courtyard.
Downtown is the Coal Museum and Boone Co has a Coal Fair each year.
Mine Companies display machinery and give out tee-shirts, penciles, stickers, & ect. There are rides, games, food, crafts, and music.
We had an awsome firework display until the whole mountian caught on fire

DipStick screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 10:29 PM
DipStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #585
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co

This is the Veteran's Memorial Monument.
Names of all Boone Countians who were killed in the wars are listed
(WWI to Vietnam).