ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #616
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,857
Thanks for the new Markers

intothenew,

Thanks for the latest additions. Nice photos (and you wife does the Vanna thing very well ).

The "Neely Plantation" is genuine. It's one of the new-style markers, what I call "Sign-style" instead of cast aluminum. Still the real thing though. Another way to verify is the WV Division of Culture and History inscription on the bottom.

Great posts!
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #617
pnoman OP
Just Average

Master List Updated

The Excel Spreadsheet is updated to Post #615 - 15 Aug 2009
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #618
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 450
St. John's Episcopal Church - Brooke County

This marker is listed as "Missing" on the master list. It is indeed there as of yesterday. As you can see in the picture, it was welded near the bottom at some point in time. Someone apparently repainted it also.The marker post is leaning quite a bit. The camera is being held plumb for the pic.

This church is in remarkable condition for a structure that is 160 years old. It is still in use. The church is completly surrounded by a cemetery with many graves dating back to the 1800's.

A social hall was to the rear of the church in 1956.

Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #619
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,128
Lucille and I start Saturday morning off with some quality time. A hydrocarbon drink for Lucille, a cup of joe and some gravy for me. Martha sleeps in, she did all of the work yesterday.

Summers/Raleigh Co, rt 3 west of Hinton.

From the East, they've been laying super slab in that county for quite some time. There is still some good riding and history, but it will just have to wait.

From the West, we get a nice tour of this one today.

Let's go see if Martha is up.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #620
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

After some coffee with her cream and sugar, Martha is back in form.

Hinton, Summers County Court House lawn, Hinton.

From the North

From the South

Something tells me these things aren't in much demand anymore. Maybe it's this interweb or telefony deals doin' that.

A tribute to the boys in Grey.

And the Ladies

A memorial to those post WW I

Just an absolutely beautifully preserved building, there's a lot to see here. This one took us a while.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #621
pnoman OP
Just Average

Bulltown / Bulltown Battle - Braxton Co

Located on Rt 4/19 about 12 - 15 miles northeast of Sutton.

The Battle of Bulltown was fought on October 13, 1863, a skirmish lasting about twelve hours. The Confederate forces were led by Colonel William L. "Mudwall" Jackson (a native of Lewis County and first cousin of Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson). The Confederates attacked the Union forces at 4:30 a.m. The Union forces, led by Captain Mattlingly, repelled the attack on their fortifications and the battle finally ended about 4:30 p.m. There were apparently casualties on both sides, and one civilian casualty - Moses Cunningham - who ran out of his farmhouse into the line of fire and shouted "Hurrah for Jeff Davis!" He was clipped by a bullet but recovered.

The Bulltown Historic Area includes the 1863 battlefield of the Battle of Bulltown, a visitor center with exhibits about the town and the battle, and several 19th century log homes and other structures. Most of the buildings were moved by the US Army Corps of Engineers to the site when Burnsville Lake was created.

Historical Marker located on Rt 4/19 at the junction of CR 19/12, just east of Napier. Side #1.

Same Marker, Side #2

View westbound on Rt 4/19. Turnoff to the historical area is just across the highway to the right.

Historic Bulltown area (just like the sign says )
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #622
pnoman OP
Just Average

Burnsville - Braxton Co

This one is not even on the list. Isn't Marker-Hunting exciting!

A community on Interstate 79 in Braxton County, Burnsville, WV, was incorporated in 1902 and named for Capt. John Burns, who operated the first sawmill in that section of West Virginia and who established the town shortly after the close of the Civil War. Beautiful Burnsville Lake is located just west of the town. Burnsville is located on the Little Kanawha River around the mouths of Oil Creek and Saltlick Creek. The lumber industry and development of surrounding natural gas fields contributed greatly to its early growth.

Historical Marker located just west of Exit 79 on I-79.

View of the Marker looking east toward the Interstate. (That's Exit 79 in the background)

Just east of I-79 is the town of Burnsville.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #623
pnoman OP
Just Average

Nicholas Co / Webster Co Line - Rt 20

Located on Rt 20 just south of Camden on Gauley. Beautiful country, great ride out Rt 82 from Birch River on Rt 19. Gotta come back here again.

Historical Marker located on Rt 20 just south of Camden on Gauley.

For more on Nicholas County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichola..._West_Virginia

View south on Rt 20 entering Nicholas Co. (The turnoff for the Stroud Massacre is just ahead to the right - it doubles back into Webster Co)

Same Marker - Side #2.

For more on Webster County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster..._West_Virginia

View northbound on Rt 20 entering Webster County and Camden on Gauley.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #624
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Got one!

I found the Harmony Church marker that I've been out twice to find and come back empty handed. Part of the problem was it's on a County Road with a vague location. The other part was the County Road is closed on one end as it's falling in the river. It was a real you can't get there from here situation.

The Marker is located along CR-45 (River Run Road) at the junction with Master Graphics Road CR-45/9.

Yes, those really are bullet holes.

Also, I was unable to find the church. The road I suspect it is down is blocked on one end by an old car and gated at the other. No physical means around it. I'm going to do some checking, and if the church is down that road, I'm going to talk to the Mon. County Sheriff's Department and see if I can get them to serve notice to whoever blocked it. It is not listed as gated on the up-to-date county maps.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #625
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

We catch Martha doing her homework in this one.

Home of Jack Warhop, Hinton Little League Ballfields.

From the South

From the North

First, take note of two things. Jack's name is spelled different and, the introduction of a new player.

Let's talk about Jack first. He was born with the Wauhop spelling. Some how it changed over time. There is very little known about his younger years, but he certainly made a name in fast pitch. I take a couple of things away from this. A small town boy can make it in the big leagues, but there is always a Babe out there ready to serve one back at ya.

Now, the new player. This guy has been around the sun 86 times and doesn't appear to be done yet. Martha took her helmet off for this one, dangerous. Either she's going home with him, or he's going home with her. Turns out the former. After a tour of the Hinton dam, a history lesson of 86 years, and a few pictures, he invited us into his home for memories that there is no way for me to describe. Thank you Mr. Honaker.(pronounced Haw-nu-ker)

The Hinton Dam

The Corps is retrofitting for electron flow.

I think these guys have some pretty sweet rides.

A view from the Dam back toward town.

And Mr. Honaker was not going to let Martha leave without some Red-Eye for lunch.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #626
pnoman OP
Just Average

Stroud Massacre - Webster Co

Located west of Rt 20 on Stroud Creek Rd (just south of Camden on Gauley).

Captain Bull, son of Teddyuscung, the last chieftain of the Delaware tribe, was regarded by most of the settlers in the region as friendly, but, in 1772, there were a series of Indian attacks in western Virginia and some settlers suspected that he was providing information to and harboring unfriendly Indians. In June 1772, German immigrant Peter Stroud's seven children and wife were murdered, presumably by Indians, in the vicinity of Bulltown (some accounts place the murder in present-day Webster County). Peter Stroud was away at the time of the murders. There are several conflicting accounts of what happened next. The most mentioned account is that Peter's brother, Adam Stroud, discovered the bodies, and after burying them, found a trail left by the murderers. The trail led in the general direction of Bulltown. Peter then headed for Hacker's Creek where he met with several other settlers, including Jesse Hughes, William White, John Cutright, and William Hacker. They agreed to join him in an attack on Bulltown. They ambushed the Indians in the village, killed them all, including the women and children, and threw their bodies into the nearby Little Kanawha River. News of the Bulltown Massacre spread across the western frontier and set off a series of incidents between the Indians and settlers.

Historical Marker located next to the cemetery about 1/2 mile west of Rt 20 on Stroud Creek Rd (CR11).

View of Marker and cemetery.

View westbound on CR 11.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #627
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Fort Culbertson, Hinton

From the West

From the East

Upstream between 10 and 15 miles lies the floodplain on the New River known as Crumps Bottom. Just across the river is the Mouth of Indian Creek. Native Americans used this area as the convergence of many trails because of the ease of fording in the area. White settlers used it for just the same and this created the conflicts requiring the fort.

It's still a fantastic place to wade fish.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #628
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
This one is not even on the list. Isn't Marker-Hunting exciting!

Historical Marker located just west of Exit 79 on I-79.
I was just through there Sat. morning, coming from Glenville.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #629
pnoman OP
Just Average

Crupperneck Bend - Nicholas Co

Located about 3 miles south of Craigsville on Rt 20. Very nice riding through this area.

Historical Marker located on Rt 20 southbound on a turnout about 3 miles south of Craigsville.

View southbound on Rt 20. Overlook to the right. Now you know why I like early morning rides.

Kind of foggy this morning. Gauley River below.

Better view of Gauley river from a mile downstream [edit - oops, looks like UPstream] of the overlook.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-18-2009 at 02:41 PM
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #630
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Summers County

I am adding a few markers and photos to Summers County.
First, the Wreck of the C & O.