ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #781
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM
Received the September issue of "Wonderful West Virginia" today. They always have a few books concerning WV available and one this month is "Marking Our Past: West Virginia's Historical Highway Markers" published by the WV Division of Culture & History.

Said to have "more than 100 photographs" - so this thread probably more visually appealing but might be of some interest.

The magazine website is www.wonderfulwv.com

Ned
Several of us have the book. Well, at least I do. It is in need of updating though. Still has Governor Wise on it! I heard not long ago that the book is slated for an update, but who knows when.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #782
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,950
BAD NEWS (Maybe)

Aug 29th Photo Participants - Please Read!!!

Well, I got an email from Mr Geiger. The Gov's office called him today to cancel our photoshoot next Sat (Aug 29th). His next available date is Nov 14th .

Are you guys (and gals) still interested in meeting? My vote is "Yes". I asked Mr Geiger if he would mind being the Master of Ceremonies. I had invited him earlier, but since he is head of the Markers Program, I think it would still be an honor to meet him and have him officiate . It would fun to get together and meet y'all, too.

Please PM me with your vote as soon as possible - Yes, I'd still like to go, or No, I'll pass.

Thanks!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-21-2009 at 02:39 PM
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #783
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,133
And the show must go on

Rehoboth Church, Rt 3, 2mi East of Union

From the East

There has been a little bit of home town engineering going on here. I think you will appreciate that in a moment.

From the West

Before I could get the camera focused, these guys pull up. Meet the son and grandson of the curator of the Rehoboth museum.

I would not have entered the drive to the museum on Sunday, but they insisted, "Dad would be glad to show you around".

First, I am made aware of the old road that route 3 consumed. A little hard to see, but it runs just below the Oak in front of the red barn.

We follow up a short winding drive and immediately focus on this.

The Methodist Church owns the property. They pay for the home of the curator, built a museum, covered the Rehoboth Church to protect it, and make allowance for upkeep on the property. I did not get a photo, or enter the museum, I was totally consumed with the church and grounds.

A 223 year old hinge

American Chestnut

Walnut

Some mill work has been added to the floor, the pulpit, and the steps to the balcony.

Even the shingle were laid and then pegged.

Revolutionary war veteran graves.

And the patience and passion of an amazing curator.

I hope to return to this one soon. As I said, there is a museum that we didn't touch on. Regular hours are Tuesday through Saturday 12-5. Allow at least two hours for this one, maybe more.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #784
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Bishop Matthew W. Clair, Sr., Rt 3 / 219, Ames UM Church, Union

From the East

From the West

You have to go underground to understand this one.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #785
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Civil War Monument, Rt 219, Presbyterian Church, Union

From the South

From the North

A dedication to "an old man's quarrel and a young man's fight".

Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #786
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Union, Rt 219, Courthouse Square, Union

From the North

From the South

I'm not sure that it is still true but, West Virginia had the lowest crime rate of any state and Monroe County has the lowest in West Virginia. Here, ladies and gentlemen, is the safest side walk in the United States.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #787
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

General John Echols, Rt 219, Courthouse Square, Union

From the North

From the South

"CAMPAIGNS: First Bull Run, Shenandoah Valley, Kernstown,
Droop Mountain, New Market and Cold Harbor." from here.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #788
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Big Lime, Rt 219, 1mi South of Union

From the North

From the South

It's kinda obvious when you get close.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #789
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Salt Sulphur, Rt 219, 2mi South of Union

From the North

From the South

This one needs some attention, there is a large crack at the base.

The resort is still open, the grounds and building look fantastic from a distance. Martha was eyeballin' pretty hard, sorry no pics but I had to move. If I didn't, I could have ended up paying for rose petals on a breakfast tray.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #790
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Grave of Elizabeth Graham Stodghill, Rt 219, just North of Lindside

From the South

From the North

Certainly fluent in two languages. The story here.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #791
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Mitchell Clay

Rt 19 / Rt 10

(it was a little wet this morning on the ride in to work)

Viewed facing north:

Viewed facing south:

Why I almost missed it heading south:

(should have brought hedge clippers with me)

Nearby:

An old carnival chair ride with a ferris wheel in the background, all grown over. Kinda creepy looking.

"CLAY CHILDREN MASSACRE SAGA OF MERCER COUNTY
"The Beckley Post-Herald in its issues of Aug. 29 carried a picture of a sculptured subject entitled a `Torment in Stone.' This bit of sculpture is placed on the Mercer County Courthouse grounds at Princeton.
"It represents Mitchell Clay and his wife, Phoebe, in a moment of agony over the massacre of members of their family in 1783. The article accompanying the picture of the native sandstone sculpture figure states that the Mitchell Clay family were `the first white settlers in what is now Mercer County.'
"This is an error because Andrew Culbertson's settlement on Culbertson's Bottom was made 20 years prior to that of Mitchell Clay on Clover Bottom. When Andrew Culbertson settled on Culbertson's Bottom that land was then in the Mercer County limits of today. Now far a word about the Shawnee Indian attack on the Mitchell Clay family which is memorialized in the stone figures at Princeton.
"MITCHELL CLAY had settled his family on Clover Bottom - now the Shawnee Lake section of Mercer County in 1775. Clay had a considerable tract of land there on the waters of the Bluestone River, about 800 square acres.
"All went well with the Clay family until August, 1783. Where the Clay home stood was off the line the Indians traveled. In the month of August, Mitchell Clay had harvested his crop of small grain, and wanting to get the benefit of the pasture for his cattle off the ground on which his grain crop had grown, he asked two of his sons, Bartley and Ezekiel, to build a fence around the stacks of grain, while he went in search of game to fill the family larder.
"WHILE Mitchell Clay was out hunting the two sons were building fence pens around the grain stacks. The older daughter in the family, with some of the younger girls, was down on the riverbank putting out the family washing. While this was in progress a marauding body of eleven Indians crept up to the edge of the field and shot young Bartley Clay dead.
"When the girls down by the riverside heard the shot that killed their brother they lit out for the house for safety. Their path to the house was directly by where Bartley had fallen. An Indian was attempting to scalp the youth and at the same time capture the older girl, Tabitha Clay. She was trying to defend the body of her dead brother and prevent the Indian from scalping him.
"In the struggle the girl reached for the butcher knife which hung in the Indian's belt. Missing the butcher knife as she reached for it, the Indian literally cut her to pieces before killing her. Several times Tabitha Clay wrung the butcher knife form the Indian's hand and threw it to the ground but each time the savage recovered it and used it to slay the strong pioneer girl.
"EZEKIEL CLAY, about 16, was captured by another Indian as the smaller girls in the washing party scurried to the Clay house which stood on a high knoll a little distance from the river on the Princeton side.
"For years the field rock chimney of the Clay house stood after the house was gone.
"About the time of the Indian attack a man named Liggon Blankenship called at the Clay cabin. When Mrs. Clay saw her daughter Tabitha in the death struggle with the Indian she begged Blankenship to go and shoot the savage and save her daughter's life. But Blankenship ran away from the scene and reported to settlers on New River that the Clay family had been murdered by the Indians.
"WHEN THE savages got the scalps of Bartley and Tabitha Clay they left the area with Ezekiel Clay as their prisoner. Mrs. Clay took the bodies of Bartley and Tabitha to the house and laid them down on the bed. She then took her small children and made her way through the woods to the home of James Bailey, six miles distance.
"Meanwhile Mitchell Clay, on the chase had wounded a deer and followed it until it was almost dark. Then he retraced his steps homeward and discovered the scene of horror in his cabin. Thinking all his family had been killed or captured, Mitchell Clay left his cabin and headed for the settlements on New River.
"A party of men under the leadership of Capt. Matthew Farley went to the Clay cabin and buried the two the Indians had killed. They then pursued the Indian party. They caught up with the Indians in present day Boone County. Several of the Indians were killed. "Charles Clay, brother of the two murdered Clay children, killed one of the Indians who had been wounded. Charles Clay killed the Indian who begged not to be shot. Ezekiel Clay, the captive lad, was hurried away by the Indians who escaped the Capt. Matthew Farley party and was taken to their towns in Ohio. There he was burned at the stake, the third of the Mitchell Clay's family to meet an untimely death at the hands of savages."

Above article copied from here

Also see intothenew's tag challenge tag

and tallbob's capture

Wolf

Some Mook screwed with this post 08-22-2009 at 01:13 PM
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #792
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Wood's Fort, Rt 219, between Peterstown-Lindside

From the West

From the East

There used to be a clear cold drink from this fountain across from the marker, I have always known this place as Fountain Springs. Dried up, or liability caused the clockwise turn of a faucet?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #793
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Home of the Jones Diamond, Rt 219, Sycamore/Market, Peterstown

Martha kinda lost control on this one, it's just a rock didn't seem to register.

From the West

From the East

She went to kickin' gravel and eyeballin' the creek. Strange behavior for a few minutes.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #794
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Peterstown, Rt 219 near Rt 12, Peterstown

From the West

From the East

"I volunteered and served after joining the army in all of which services I carried his own rifle, Tomahawk And butcher knife" from here.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #795
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

That completes our trip from last weekend. I have to say, that is probably the longest and most fulfilling 307 miles I have ever spent.

Mercer county from this morning in a few.