ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #811
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM
Yes, it would seem Edward was the speaker.

My take on it is, The speech was given "by" Edward "of" John's pen.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #812
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
OK, ladies and gentlemen, here is the 1st draft of an itinerary for this weekend. I'm open to suggestions, but I'd like to have it finalized by Wednesday at noon. The tour time and photo time are set - Mr Geiger is driving in from Huntington to be our host.

Here goes:

Friday Aug 28 -

Noon to ????? Check in at Kanawha State Forest Campgrounds. Look for a group of bikes (duhhh) or my "PNOMAN" sign that I'll post if we're out marker hunting. Paul (the campground manager) said we could go 2 tents per site.

4 pm - Let's ride! From the campground, we'll pick a loop south, maybe around Logan or anywhere interesting. Plan on 2hrs.

6:30 pm - Depart from the Campground for dinner somewhere around Charleston. Ask around for BBQ or good road-food joint. We'll come back to the campground after dinner and see who can tell the biggest lies .

Saturday Aug 29 -

8:30 am - Depart campground for breakfast. (May not have time to return before tour and photos).

8:45 am - 9:45 Breakfast at Tudors (sp?) Biscuit World. Located off I-64 Exit 99, turn RIGHT (West) on Washington and go about 1 mile.

10:00 am - Tour Starts (Please try to be there a few minutes early). WV Culture Center Museum. Off I-64 Exit 99, go to first light (Washington Ave) and turn LEFT (East) into parking area for Capitol Complex. Turn RIGHT at the guard shack and park by the Culture Center. Walk around front and meet inside the entrance in the "Great Hall". Mr Geiger is going to give us a personal tour of the Museum. This should take about 60-90 minutes, then allows a few minutes for potty stops before photos.

11:45 am. Depart Museum for Capitol. For those just arriving for the photos, take I-64 Exit 99, go all the way south to Kanawha Blvd (about 1/2 mile) then turn left. It's the big building with the big gold dome on top .

12:00 Noon - Meet on the south Capitol Steps (facing Kanawha Blvd and the Kanawha River). We will line the bikes up along the bottom step for the big photo shot. After that, we will walk over to the Historical Marker across the street for a group photo (without bikes - not enough room).

I have a few things planned (awards) before we head out to lunch. We'll plan on riding out somewhere for lunch (again, I'm open to suggestions from those who are familiar with the Charleston area). After lunch, it' s homeward bound (unless any of you all plan activities on your own).

Again, this is the first draft, Version 1.0.0.0 Stay tuned for "improvements".

RATHER THAN POST INFORMATION IN TWO PLACES, LET'S POST ALL NOTES ABOUT THIS WEEKEND'S GATHERING ON THE "CALLING ALL WV MARKERS RIDERS...." THREAD. THANKS!

sounds good, if I can break away from an unexpected blip in my schedule, you may see me at the capitol Saturday. probability is about 20%
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #813
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,983
20% vs 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
sounds good, if I can break away from an unexpected blip in my schedule, you may see me at the capitol Saturday. probability is about 20%
Hope you can make it. Unfortunately, the weather forecast tonight said there's more of a chance of rain showing up than you showing up -- 30%. We'll see. Those 5-day forecasts change daily.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #814
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Lewis & Braxton Co. line marker

Lewis co. - Rt19/4

Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #815
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Braxton - Rt19/4

Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #816
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Barbour & Taylor Co. line marker

Barbour Co. - Rt 119/250

Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #817
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Taylor & Barbour

Taylor Co - Rt119/250

Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #818
pnoman OP
Just Average

Simon Kenton - Kanawha Co

Located on Rt 119 in Big Chimney, about 8 miles north of Charleston and just south of Exit 5 (Rt 114) on I-79.

I couldn't find much on Simon Kenton except that there is a Scouting Council in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky named the SImon Kenton Council. I don't know what the tie is to the Ohio/Kentucky folks. Sorry.

[EDIT: intothenew just PM'd me a link to a great article on Simon Kenton - Click Here. Thanks!]

Historical Marker located on Rt 119 in Big Chimney. This the south-facing side for the North-bound travelers to read.

Same Marker - Side #2 North-facing side for the South-bound travelers.

View north on Rt 119.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 05:39 PM
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #819
pnoman OP
Just Average

Captain John Young / John Young Early Settler - Kanawha Co

Located on Rt 119 about 4 miles north of Elkview. Again, not much luck with the research.

Historical Marker located on Rt 119 about 4 miles north of Elkview.

Same Marker - Side #2

View South on Rt 119.

View north on Rt 119. Just to the left of where I'm standing is the road up the hill to the cemetery. (See next photo)

Narrow road up the hill to the cemetery.

Hilltop cemetery. I looked all over for the gravestone of Capt John Young, but the best I could find was a small section with several "Young" stones.

It seems as if families were buried together in close proximity, and the ones that are legible in this enclosure are all "Young". There are a few old ones that are worn smooth, and I'm assuming one of those is Capt Young's headstone.

Lots of these all over the cemetery.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #820
pnoman OP
Just Average

Petrochemical Plant - Kanawha Co

Located on Rt 119 in Clendenin, about 20 miles north of Charleston.

According to some articles I found online, Union Carbide at one time was the largest employer in West Virginia (that was before WalMart) and the unemployment in WV was one of the highest in the nation. Therefore, UC could pressure it's way into poverty-stricken regions and not have to pay taxes, and was also pretty immune to having to clean up after itself. If pressured to clean up, it would simply imply "we could move to a more hospitable area". Jobs were scarce, so they were allowed to write their own rules. UC employees at the time had up to 4 times the normal rate of leukemia and twice the rate of brain cancer.

Historical Marker on Rt 119 northbound in Clendenin.

Same Marker - Side #2. North-facing side for the Southbound traveler.

View northbound on Rt 119 into Clendenin. Junction with Rt 4 (to the left just ahead).

View across the river to where the chemical plants were located. Hmmm, just thinking about what it would be like to live on the site of an abandoned Union Carbide chemical plant . Love Canal, WV??? Scary.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #821
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Located on Rt 119 in Clendenin, about 20 miles north of Charleston.

According to some articles I found online, Union Carbide at one time was the largest employer in West Virginia (that was before WalMart) and the unemployment in WV was one of the highest in the nation. Therefore, UC could pressure it's way into poverty-stricken regions and not have to pay taxes, and was also pretty immune to having to clean up after itself. If pressured to clean up, it would simply imply "we could move to a more hospitable area". Jobs were scarce, so they were allowed to write their own rules. UC employees at the time had up to 4 times the normal rate of leukemia and twice the rate of brain cancer.

View across the river to where the chemical plants were located. Hmmm, just thinking about what it would be like to live on the site of an abandoned Union Carbide chemical plant . Love Canal, WV??? Scary.
You guys know I'm from down in that area, and this hits home for me. Luckily the cancer in my family has not been leukemia. It wasn't just Carbide that got away with that, Monsanto, Allied, and others located along "Chemical Valley" did it too. That's what made Nitro, WV a town. My mom walked through a site that had been a toxic waste dump every day going to school. It wasn't until the 90's that a list of some things disposed of there was released. It's truly scary seeing what they got away with.

That's one of the reasons the failed "Open for Business" slogan bothered, no outraged, me so much. I had visions of this happening again. Don't get me wrong, I'm no tree huggin' hippie, but I believe in responsible waste management. And that ain't dumping whatever you please in the nearest stream, river, or hollow (read "holler").

Sorry for the ranting.

Later,
Chrome...

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #822
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone County

I visited the Old Historical Church at Nellis yesterday.
It is located next to the Nellis Elementary School.
The marker is in the church yard. Armco built the school,
church, gas station, and post office.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #823
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer

Boone Co.

Nellis Historical Church.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #824
DipStick
Gnarly Adventurer