ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 04:59 AM   #76
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,983
Tygart Dam - Taylor Co

Grafton Dam is located on the northern tip of Tygart Lake, about 3 miles south of Grafton. It is one of the big recreational areas in north-central WV, with boaters and skiers crowding the waters in the summertime.

From the US Army Corps of Engineers website:

Authorized by the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1935, Tygart Dam was the first of 16 flood control projects in the Pittsburgh District. The project provides flood protection for the Tygart River Valley as well as for the Monongahela and upper Ohio Rivers.
Tygart has the capability to store the equivalent run-off of 4.56 inches of precipitation from its 1,184 square mile drainage area. The project’s flood control benefits were dramatically demonstrated during the November 1985 floods when Tygart alone prevented an amazing $195.8 million in damages and lowered flood crests along the Monongahela River by as much as 6.8 feet. Since its completion in 1938, Tygart has prevented flood damages estimated to be nearly $1.2 billion. When compared to the flood control benefits which have resulted, the $18.5 million construction costs are greatly overshadowed.
In addition to flood control, the Tygart project was also authorized for navigation and water supply purposes. During the summer and fall low-water season, Tygart releases additional water downstream to meet navigation water supply requirements on the Monongahela and upper Ohio River for commercial navigation. The increased flow also improves water quality and quantity for domestic and industrial use, recreation, esthetics and aquatic life.

For more information from Army Corps of Engineers: Click here

EDIT: THIS MARKER WAS REPLACED IN 2013. PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE ON PAGE 92, POST #1378.

The Historical Marker is located several miles away at the junction of Rt 50 and Rt 119 on the east side of Grafton. (Note: the back side of this sign is badly weathered)

View of sign along Rt 50 looking west toward Grafton. Mmmmmm.... KFC!

EDIT: THIS MARKER WAS REPLACED IN 2013. PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE ON PAGE 92, POST #1378.

Grafton Dam. This is as close as you get nowadays without being on the tour, thanks to terrorism and personal injury lawyers. When I was a kid, we would go out on the dam, and my dad would hold me over the edge of the railing. What harm is there in that??

Sign at overlook to dam.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 11:51 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 AM   #77
pnoman OP
Just Average

Grafton - Taylor Co

Grafton (Pop 5,489) was founded in 1856 and named after John Grafton, a civil engineer with the B&O Railroad. It's most famous citizen was Anna Jarvis, founder of Mother's Day. (See separate post for photos & info on her birthplace).

EDIT: THIS MARKER WAS REPLACED IN 2013. PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE ON PAGE 92, POST #1377.

Historical Marker located just south of Rt 50 at the junction of Rt 119.

The marker is located in a small city park set up at the junction of Rt 50 and Rt 119 to honor the local veterans.

EDIT: THIS MARKER WAS REPLACED IN 2013. PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND HERE ON PAGE 92, POST #1377.

Beautiful downtown Grafton. It has a real "hometown" flavor to it.

I had to include this cool old building in downtown Grafton.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 11:52 AM
Old 12-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #78
pnoman OP
Just Average

Anna Jarvis Birthplace - Taylor Co

Anna Jarvis is best known as the founder of Mother's Day. She was born in Webster WV, located on Rt 119 about 5 miles south of Grafton.

From Wikipedia:

Anna Jarvis was born in the tiny town of Webster in Taylor County WV. She was the daughter of Anna Maria Reeves Jarvis. The family moved to nearby Grafton WV in her childhood.
On May 12, 1907, two years after her mother's death, she held a memorial to her mother and thereafter embarked upon a campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday. She succeeded in making this nationally recognized in 1914. The International Mother's Day Shrine was established in Grafton to commemorate her accomplishment.
By the 1920s, Anna Jarvis had become soured on the commercialization of the holiday. She incorporated herself as the Mother's Day International Association, claimed copyright on the second Sunday of May, and was once arrested for disturbing the peace. She and her sister Ellsinore spent their family inheritance campaigning against the holiday. Both died in poverty. Jarvis, says her New York Times obituary, became embittered because too many people sent their mothers a printed greeting card. As she said, "A printed card means nothing except that you are too lazy to write to the woman who has done more for you than anyone in the world. And candy! You take a box to Mother—and then eat most of it yourself. A pretty sentiment!"
Anna Marie Jarvis never married and had no children. She died in Westchester PA, and is buried in West Laurel Hill Cemetery, Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania. [End of Quote]

During the Civil War, Gen. George McClellan used this house as his headquarters while his troops were encamped nearby. At the time, the town of Webster was the southern depot for the train, so it was busy with troops and supplies.

After the war, Mrs. Jarvis (Anna's mother) worked hard to bring families and communities together who had been torn apart by the war. It was later her wish to have one day each year set aside to honor all mothers. Anna took her mother's desire for this holiday and helped create Mother's Day.

Historical marker located on Rt 119 in Webster, about 5 miles south of Grafton.

Looking northbound on Rt 119. Anna Jarvis home is on the right.

Better view of Anna Jarvis' birthplace.

Interesting sign on front lawn.

**UPDATE**

I took my wife back here the next day, and we did the tour. It was very interesting. Really! There are even some artifacts from Gen McClellan, including his desk "office". I would highly recommend any husband who needs to score points with the wife to take her here for the tour. And, it's only $5. Say "Hi" to Tiger-Lily, the resident blind cat. Really! For information, call (304) 265-5549. Closed Mondays.

Inside the Anna Jarvis house. This square grand piano (Steinway) belonged to Anna's mother. They allowed me to play on it, and I played one verse of "How Great Thou Art", my Grandmother's favorite hymn. Yesterday would have been her birthday.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 02:46 AM
Old 12-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #79
pnoman OP
Just Average

National Cemetery - Grafton - Taylor Co

The original National Cemetery is located on Walnut Street on the south side of Grafton. This cemetery is full, so a new National Cemetery was opened in the 1980s about 5 miles from here, on part of the old Pruntytown Industrial School for Boys property.

From plaque by the entrance: On the night of May 22, 1861, Pvt Thornsberry Bailey Brown and Lt Daniel Wilson, both members of Capt George R. Latham's Grafton Guards, were returning to Grafton from Pruntytown. Along the Northwestern Turnpike, they encountered three Letcher Guards who commanded Brown and Wilson to halt.

Brown pulled his pistol and shot, hitting Daniel W.S. Knight on the ear. Knight returned fire, which instantly killed Brown. Thornsberry Bailey Brown was the first Union soldier killed by a Confederate soldier. The next day, Confederate soldiers returned Brown's body to Capt Latham's men. Brown is buried in the Grafton National Cemetery.

The Grafton Guards would become Company B, 2nd West Virginia Infantry. The Letcher Guards would become Company A, 25th Virginia Infantry.

For a complete list of soldiers and others buried here, please click here.

Historical Marker located on Walnut St south of Grafton.

Main entrance to cemetery. Plaque on right side is VA Administration.

Some of the headstones - veterans of all wars through WWI, WWII and Korea.

View to the left of the entrance.

Headstone of Thornsberry Bailey Brown.

Preparing to leave. Truly sacred ground!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-28-2008 at 02:55 PM
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #80
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Mr. pnoman, I enjoy the effort you put in to submitting nice photos and research. The markers you choose are interesting, and it sure helps keep this thread from getting "dry". Please keep on keepin' on..
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #81
vatrader01
vatrader01

State Line Marker

Located on Rt 50 between Winchester, VA. and Capon Bridge, WV on the south side of the road. Photos taken right at dusk. I seem to run out of daylight before I run out of ride.
Looking west:

Looking east:

Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #82
vatrader01
vatrader01

WV School for the Deaf and Blind

Located on East Main St., Romney, WV.

Info links:
http://wvsdb2.state.k12.wv.us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Vi...Deaf_and_Blind

A little backround:
The Romney Literary Society, formed about 1819 to start a system of education and establish a library. The Society founded the first institution of higher education in the area, the Romney Academy, around 1820 for the teaching of the classics. It amassed probably the largest library west of the Blue Ridge Mountains with over three thousand volumes. The foundation of the original school and library building is believed to be located under the present building known as Literary Hall. The Literary Society began to raise funds for a new building and, in 1832, the Virginia Assembly authorized them to raise $20,000 by lottery. In 1846, they opened a seminary called the Romney Classical Institute. Hampshire County’s location on the ‘border frontier’ for the entire Civil War caused people to lose much of their private property. Desperate soldiers on both sides resorted to taking money and valuables as they marched through. There was also an organized band of robbers running about the area who were not members of either army, but stole from all and sold to the highest bidder. During this time the library collection of the Literary Society was almost all destroyed or carried away.
The Romney Classical Institute did not reopen after the Civil War and the remaining members of the Literary Society offered the building and its grounds to the state of West Virginia. They accepted it to house the West Virginia Institute for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind. This had to be established because West Virginia students were no longer eligible to attend the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind and the state had been paying tuition for some its deaf and blind students to be educated out of state while many of the rest were not being educated at all. Today the ‘Institute’ stands as the central part of the Administration Building of the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind in Romney.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #83
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Mr. pnoman, I enjoy the effort you put in to submitting nice photos and research. The markers you choose are interesting, and it sure helps keep this thread from getting "dry". Please keep on keepin' on..
Thanks - I'm just trying to keep up with the high standards you guys have set. (You may retract your statement after my next posting, though. I couldn't find any information on it.)

Thanks to all of you who are contributing!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 04:25 PM
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #84
pnoman OP
Just Average

Old Catholic Cemetery - Grafton - Taylor Co

Along Rt 50 just east of Grafton and across from the Grafton Hospital (not a good omen ) lies the Old Catholic Cemetery. No luck finding more information about Sarah Fetterman. I guess the sign tells the story for this post. Sorry.

Historical Marker along Rt 50 east of Grafton (looking west from this angle)

Looking west on Rt 50 toward Grafton.

A view of part of the cemetery.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #85
vatrader01
vatrader01

State Line Marker

Another no flavor marker. This one is located on Route 9 at the WV / VA state line east of Charles Town, WV.

Looking west:

Looking east:

vatrader01 screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 08:26 PM
Old 12-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #86
vatrader01
vatrader01

Keyes Gap

Located on Route 9 east of Charles Town, WV on the south side of the road.

This 895 foot elevation gap is one of the lowest crossings of the Blue Ridge Mountains from Virginia into West Virginia. During the colonial period, the main road between Alexandria and Winchester ran through the gap. During the War of Northern Agression, it was utilized as a back way to Harpers Ferry. The ride from this marker west to Charles Town is a twisty blast.

vatrader01 screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 08:03 PM
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #87
vatrader01
vatrader01

Robert Rutherford Freedom's Call

Located on Route 51 in Charles Town, WV, near the intersection of 51 and 340. In front of Charles Town Races and Slots.

I stop for a cuppa, and whoa..waz' this?

Mountain View Diner, across Route 51 from the race track.

Representative from Virginia; born in Scotland, October 20, 1728; completed preparatory studies and was educated at the Royal College of Edinburgh; immigrated to the United States and settled in Berks County, Tenn., and subsequently moved to Virginia; delegate to the conventions in Richmond and Williamsburg, July and December 1775 and May 1776; served in the state senate 1776-1790; elected as an Anti-Administration candidate to the Third Congress and reelected as a Republican to the Fourth Congress (March 4, 1793-March 3, 1797); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1796 to the Fifth Congress; settled on his estate “Flowing Spring” near Charles Town, Va. (now West Virginia) and resided there until his death in October 1803; interment on “Flowing Spring” estate near Charles Town.
I did not locate "Flowing Springs" estate. I found one source that stated Rutherford was buried in an unmarked grave. I will put more effort into locating the estate and / or grave.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #88
vatrader01
vatrader01

Martin R. Delaney

Marker located on Route 51 in Charles Town, near intersection of 340 / 51 in front of Charles Town Races and Slots.

Delaney became known for his opposition to chattel slavery and his call for Black youth. Delaney was among the small group of Black medical students that attended Harvard Medical School in 1850 and 1851. Although white supremacy and racism forced Delaney to withdraw, he went on to distinguish himself as an outstanding physician specializing in chronic diseases of women and children. Martin Delany was a radical pre-War abolitionist, black nationalist, explorer of Africa, and veteran of the War of Northern Aggression. His father was a slave, and all four of his grandparents had been captured in Africa and brought to America as slaves, but his mother was free, and by law this meant Delany was born free. From earliest childhood, he was told by his parents that his ancestors were African royalty. His family fled north when his mother faced prosecution for educating her children. Delaney died Jan. 24, 1885 at Exenia, Ohio of tuburculosis. Buried at Massie's Creek Cemetery, Cedarville, OH

vatrader01 screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 08:33 PM
Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #89
vatrader01
vatrader01

Blakeley

Marker is located at the intersection of 340 and Huyett Rd south of
Charles Town
The estate is about 1.5 miles west on Huyett Rd on the left.

Privately owned, this estate appears to on the market with a listing price of 2.4 mil.
This the third of seven Washington family homes in this area.

vatrader01 screwed with this post 12-30-2008 at 07:49 AM
Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #90
pnoman OP
Just Average

Harrison & Taylor Co Line - Rt 76

Rt 76 is a nice ride between Bridgeport and Rosemont/Flemington. Here is the County line marker located about 5 miles south of Rt 50.

EDIT: THIS MARKER WAS REFURBISHED IN 2013. PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 92, POST #1380.

Northbound on Rt 76 entering Harrison Co. (Sign could use some TLC)

Southbound on Rt 76 entering Taylor Co. Hey, now I know who Bailey Brown was (see earlier post on National Cemetery). I can just feel myself getting smarter doing this project!!

EDIT: THIS MARKER WAS REFURBISHED IN 2013. PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 92, POST #1380.

View northbound on Rt 76 into Harrison Co.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 12:05 PM