ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 AM   #931
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,790
Lewis' Expedition - Mingo County

Located 1/4 mile south of Kermit, on Rt 52 along the Tug Fork River, just below the Wayne County line.

Andrew Lewis (1720-1781) was a pioneer, surveyor, and soldier who settled in Virginia after fleeing Ireland for killing his landlord in a dispute. He served in both the French and Indian War, and the American Revolutionary War. He is most famous for his 1774 victory in the Battle of Point Pleasant in Dunmore's War.

Lewis spent fifteen years developing his farm and working as a surveyor in southwestern Virginia. He surveyed much of the Greenbrier District of Augusta County, later Greenbrier County, WV. He became the commander, as county lieutenant and later captain of the Augusta County militia, after some years involvement in protecting against American Indian raids.

Although the Proclamation of 1763 officially restricted Virginia's western expansion, Lewis remained active in hunting and exploration trips into what is now West Virginia. He also provided militia support to some of the western settlements. Then in 1774, Dunmore's War broke out. Governor Dunmore planned an attack, and led a force from Fort Pitt into the Ohio Country. Lewis, now a colonel, led a second force against the Shawnee Indians by the southern route. Colonel Lewis met resistance from Shawnee Chief Cornstalk at the Ohio River crossing at Point Pleasant. Lewis's victory in the Battle of Point Pleasant on October 10th was the most significant of that conflict, and firmly secured his military reputation.

Historical Marker located on Rt 52 just south of Kermit.

Same marker - Side #2

View northbound on Rt 52. Kermit is just around the bend.

Looks like one of the local sharpshooters did a little target practice on the marker title .
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 11:24 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #932
pnoman OP
Just Average

Fort Gay - Wayne Co

Located off Rt 52 on Rt 37 about 35 miles south of the Huntington/Kenova area, and about 15 miles southwest of Wayne. Right on the Tug Fork and Big Sandy Rivers - opposite Louisa, KY.

Fort Gay is a town in Wayne Co, along the Tug Fork and Big Sandy Rivers. The town adjoins Louisa, KY. The population was 819 at the 2000 census. Originally chartered in 1875 as Cassville. Its name was changed to Fort Gay in 1932, at the instigation of Wardy Lovely , who was a member of the city council as well as a local educator. The story goes that he was fed up with local wags smearing mud on the initial C from city signs, changing it to "assville". Name selected because of the location prior to the Civil War of a fort (Fort Gallup) on a hill at Louisa, Kentucky, opposite the community.

Historical Marker located in front of the school as you come into town on Rt 37. I had a couple of guys on cute Harleys come by and asked if I was interested in a Drag Race for Pink Slips. (just kidding!)

Same Marker - Side #2. Better get Maaco!

The town watch-cat. Meow - move along - meow - this is MY town - MeowMeow. That's the school in the background.

View down Rt 37 through town as you go west towards the bridge over to KY.

View east up Rt 37 back towards Rt 52.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-19-2009 at 04:28 PM
Old 09-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #933
pnoman OP
Just Average

Revolutionary War Soldier's Grave (#1) - Wayne Co

Located on Rt 52 about 100 yards north of the Rt 37 turnoff for Ft Gay. About 35 miles south of the Huntington/Kenova area.

I asked around, and the best anyone could tell me was that they thought the graves were somewhere on "that mountain over there" (as they point off to the distance). Since I was running short on time (and this was the first of 3 such markers), I decided to forego the hour-long hunt and moved on. Someday when I have more time, I'll snoop around and try to find them.

From Historical Data website: http://members.citynet.net/wcghs/Mic...r%20Marker.htm

Micajah Frazier/Frasher was born 25 Dec., 1753 in Albermarle Co., VA and died 9 Nov., 1843 in Lawrence Co., KY. He married 17 Aug., 1765 in Staunton, VA (Orange Co.) to Susan “Suka/Sulka” Hamilton, born May 1754 and died 1852. Micajah Frasher enlisted in Amherst Co. VA 1780. He was honorably discharged by Capt. Toliver in VA. After having served 18 months, during which time he assisted in the Battle of Williamsburg, and at Yorktown made breast works against Cornwallis until his surrender to Gen. Washington, after which Private Frasher, assisting Major Hardeman, guarded and marched prisoners of this battle to Winchester. He served as a Pvt. In the VA troops under Capt. Richard Ballenger, Samuel Cabell, Dawson and Green, Colonels Taylor, Pope and Dabney.

Micajah Frasher is buried in the Frasher Hill Cemetery just out of the town limits of Fort Gay, WV. His grave is marked by a Revolutionary War Tombstone. His wife Susan is buried beside him.

To read about the American Revolutionary War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War

This was an un-listed new marker (Dec 2008). Whoo-hoo! I love finding new ones!

Historical Marker located on Rt 52 northbound lane, about 100 yards north of the Rt 37 turnout for Ft Gay.

Same Marker - Side #2

View southbound on Rt 52. Turnout for Rt 37 / Ft Gay is just ahead - turn right at the lights.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-18-2009 at 11:59 AM
Old 09-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #934
pnoman OP
Just Average

Revolutionary War Soldier's Grave (#2) - Wayne Co

Rider WV gave me the heads-up on this one, or I would have bypassed it on a shorter route to Wayne. This is a new one that was not on the WV master list. Thanks!!

Located on Rt 52 by the exit to Prichard (Rt 52 is 4-lane at that point, and the marker is in the southbound lane, about 100 yards north of the exit.

This was interesting, because there was a fellow rider (Sean) pulled off by the marker enjoying a cigar break. When I mentioned what I was doing, he told me that Samuel Hatton was his Great-Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather.

Sean told me the cemetery is somewhere on CR 20 between Prichard and Wayne, but he had not researched and found it yet. Stay tuned for updates.

Historical Marker located on Rt 52, southbound lane, 100 yards north of the Prichard Exit.

Same Marker - Side #2.

View southbound on Rt 52. That's Sean on the right.

After this, I headed out CR 20 then CR 19 towards Wayne. That is a GREAT ride!! It's a narrow backroad, but it takes you through some nice countryside. On the way, I passed a gentleman washing his PRISTINE 1967 Chevy Camaro.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #935
pnoman OP
Just Average

Wayne - Wayne Co

The city of Wayne is the County Seat of Wayne County. Population - 1,105.

Wayne was established in 1842, by the same act of the Virginia General Assembly that created Wayne County. The county was named for General "Mad Anthony" Wayne. The town was initially known by the name "Trout's Hill," after Abraham Trout, who donated the land upon which the county's courthouse was built. The Wayne Courthouse Post Office was established in 1842 also. The town was known simultaneously as Trout's Hill and Wayne Courthouse for many years. The town was incorporated in 1882 as Fairview, but was still commonly known as Wayne Courthouse. The population in 1882 was 157. In 1891, the Norfolk & Western Railroad was constructed up Twelve Pole Creek. The railroad placed the name "Wayne" on its schedule and the name caught on. The name was officially changed to Wayne in 1911.

Historical Marker located in front of the Wayne County Courthouse.

View of the Marker and Courthouse.

View southbound on Rt 152 through Wayne.

View northbound on Rt 152 through Wayne.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #936
pnoman OP
Just Average

Revolutionary War Soldier's Grave (#3) - Wayne Co

Located just 100 yards north of the "Welcome to Wayne" sign on the north side of town. Southbound lane of Rt 152 just as you are slowing down to enter the city of Wayne. (And you had better slow down, from what I hear ).

Link to the Revolutionary War: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolutionary_War

Historical Marker located on Rt 152 southbound just as you enter the north side of the city of Wayne.

Same Marker - Side #2.

View southbound on Rt 152 entering the city of Wayne.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #937
pnoman OP
Just Average

Marshall University Plane Crash - Wayne Co

November 14th, 1970. On a rainy hill side in Wayne County, West Virginia, the lives of 75 people were lost in the worst single air tragedy in NCAA sports history. Among the losses were nearly the entire Marshall University football team, coaches, flight crew, numerous fans, and supporters. The event marked a boundary by which an entire community would forever measure time... before or after "The Crash". This site is a memorial to the lives that were lost on that evening; to honor those men and women who made a mark in the hearts of a school, a community and a nation.

There is too much to write in this post about the scope of this tragedy, so I will include some links below with complete stories about the young men and women who's lives were cut short in their prime.

Marshall University Site:

http://www.marshall.edu/library/spec...seum/memorial/

WV Archives and History Site:

http://www.wvculture.org/History/dis...necrash01.html

History Channel - This Day in History: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...ticle&id=57494

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther...ays_Flight_932

Historical Marker located on a closed section of Old Rt 75 about 5 miles south of Ceredo/Kenova area.

Same Marker - Side #2

A nice memorial area is set up near the site of the crash.

View from across the road, with the crash site area in the background.

Another view of the memorial.

Section of Spring Hill Cemetery in eastern Huntington dedicated to the Marshall Football Team. The 6 unidentified victims are buried in the foreground. (File photo)

Monument at Spring Hill Cemetery. (File photo)

Same monument - front side. (File photo)

This fountain memorial is located on campus. (File photo)

I used a few file photos of the cemetery and campus memorial, although I rode by each location this time also.

Like I said earlier, I could write pages about this event, one of the darkest days in WV history, and it still would not be enough. Read the links above, and watch the movie "We Are Marshall". If you still have a dry eye after watching the movie, you're a tougher man than I am.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-19-2009 at 04:33 PM
Old 09-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #938
Jamie870
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hope im not double tapping another one..

The Lincoln Co./ Logan Co. Marker, located on Rt. 10

The sign is leaning at the same angle as my bike, guess that makes em easier to read ~~ and NO, that isnt my beer can.
Jamie870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #939
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie870
Hope im not double tapping another one..
Wellll... Sorry, but I posted it on the previous page (#926), but yours has a better train for the background. Looks like you had better lighting too - I was facing eastbound right into the sun. And besides, my bike is leaning the other direction, so this gives it variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie870
The sign is leaning at the same angle as my bike, guess that makes em easier to read ~~ and NO, that isnt my beer can.
THAT'S where my beer went! I was looking for that when I got to the hotel! Look close - it's in my photo too.

I updated the spreadsheet before my ride to southern WV last weekend, but it's already out of date (sorry!). I'll work on it ASAP.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-20-2009 at 05:03 AM
Old 09-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #940
Jamie870
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Jamie870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #941
pnoman OP
Just Average

Ceredo/Kenova - Wayne Co

Located on the western tip of Huntington just before crossing over into Kentucky. It's the last WV exit on I-64 westbound.

Kenova: Population 3,485. Home of Dreamland Pool, once the largest east of the Mississippi River (about the size of a football field).

Kenova gets it's name from KENtucky-Ohio-(W) VA (Founded in 1859 before WV became a separate state)

Ceredo: Population 1,675 blends right into the east side of Kenova on Rt 60. Hard to tell where one ends and the other begins.

Abolitionists founded Ceredo to demonstrate the superiority of an economic system not based on slave labor. Eli Thayer, an abolitionist congressman from Massachusetts, believed that bringing abolitionists like himself into southern states could ultimately bring about the end of slavery. While some welcomed the newcomers, several area newspapers published opinions against this "invasion." The newspaper of nearby Ashland, KY however, supported this move. By 1857, the city was fully established with a newspaper of its own and several industries.
With John Brown's raid at Harper's Ferry in 1859 and the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the situation for this abolitionist colony appeared bleak. Its purpose to bring about the peaceful end of slavery over, several residents volunteered for pro-Union regiments.

Historical Marker located on Rt 60 on the eastern end of the bridge over to Kentucky.
See the Marker to the right? That's the WV/KY Marker coming soon to a post near you.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound towards the bridge to KY. See those trees in the distance? They're KY trees.

View eastbound on Rt 60 entering Kenova. (Ceredo is ahead - east - about a mile).
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-20-2009 at 05:04 AM
Old 09-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #942
pnoman OP
Just Average

WV/KY Border - Rt 60 - Wayne Co

Located less than 50 meters from the Ceredo/Kenova Marker in the previous post.

Historical Marker located about 50 meters off Rt 60 in a park area to the north side of the highway, just before crossing over the bridge into KY.

Same Marker - Side #2 (You can see the previous Ceredo-Kenova Marker to the right of this one)

View west on Rt 60 - bridge ahead crosses over into KY. The Marker is visible to the right between the railroad warning light and the red-roof pavillion.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-26-2009 at 04:40 AM
Old 09-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #943
pnoman OP
Just Average

Indian Mound - Wayne Co

Located along Rt 60 in Camden Park, just west of Huntington. Could not locate it that day (limited time) but found a photo of it at the following site: (photo is shown below)

http://www.safetgallery.com/MoundPix/MoundFrameset.html

The Camden Park Mound is an Adena burial mound located near the mouth of Twelvepole Creek, on the floodplain above the Ohio River in the amusement park, Camden Park. Another mound once stood a sort distance east of the park, but it was leveled during the building of the Ohio and Big Sandy railroad right-of-way.

The flat-topped conical burial mound in Camden Park is the largest mound in the Huntington area, and is third in size in West Virginia. It has not been excavated; was probably built by the Adena people between 1000 B.C. and A.D. 1.

Several other so-called "Indian mounds" were located in Huntington at one time. One mound was located on Thirteenth Street, another said to be located at the peak at Gobbler's Knob. Both mounds were leveled during the building of streets and roads in Huntington. About 1/2-mile above the mouth of the Guyandotte River were located three small mounds, all apparently destroyed as new streets, homes, and businesses were built in Huntington.

Historical Marker located on Rt 60 in Camden Park between Kenova and Huntington.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound on Rt 60.

Photo from website: http://www.safetgallery.com/MoundPix/MoundFrameset.html

If this truly is the mound, it's sad there is an amusment park built right beside it .
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-20-2009 at 04:44 AM
Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 AM   #944
pnoman OP
Just Average

VA Hospital - Wayne Co

Located near West Huntington, south of Rt 60 and I-64 about 2 miles on Waverly Rd. Very nice facility on a scenic hilltop.

The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) is the component of the US Dept of Veteran's Affairs (VA) that implements the medical assistance program of the VA through the administration and operation of numerous VA outpatient clinics, hospitals, medical centers, and longterm healthcare facilities (i.e., nursing homes).

VHA alone has far more employees than all other elements of the VA combined have. The origin of the VHA dates all the way back to the first federal military veterans hospital (Hand Hospital) in Pittsburgh in 1778.
Until the 1980s, it was known as VA's Department of Medicine and Surgery.

Historical Marker located on Rt 60 near Westmoreland - just west of the Cabell Co line.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound on Rt 60. Marker is visible to the left, by the car wash.

Entrance to the VA Hospital.

Back side of the entrance sign - nice quote from Abraham Lincoln.

The VA Hospital located on the hilltop.

Good news: GREAT roads leading up to the parking lot.
Bad news: 25MPH limit.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 09-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #945
pnoman OP
Just Average

Wayne Co / Cabell Co Line - Rt 60

Located on the western edge of Huntington on Rt 60. (about 5 miles from the Kentucky border)

Historical Marker located on Rt 60 in the western edge of Huntington.

For more on Cabell County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabell_..._West_Virginia

View eastbound on Rt 60 entering Cabell County.

Same Marker - Side #2.

View westbound on Rt 60 entering Wayne County.

For more on Wayne County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_C..._West_Virginia
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 09-26-2009 at 04:42 AM