ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #1051
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Marshall Co / Wetzel Co Line - Rt 2

Located at the Mason-Dixon Line along the Ohio River on Rt 2. About 20 miles south of Moundsville and 5 miles north of New Martinsville.

For more on Wetzel County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetzel_..._West_Virginia

For more on Marshall County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshal..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker located on Rt 2 at the Mason-Dixon Line. Northbound entering Marshall Co. It appears this marker suffered a blunt trauma at some point - notice the fracture/crack along the lower half. Odd that the crack would have a 90-degree angle in it. Hmmm.

View north on Rt 2 entering Marshall Co.

Same marker - Side #2. Southbound entering Wetzel Co.

View southbound on Rt 2 entering Wetzel Co. That's the Mason-Dixon Line Historical Marker on the left. The county line marker is on the right.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #1052
pnoman OP
Just Average

Discontinued Item - Old Marker - WV Industrial School for Boys

Nice day today - plus I started early and got off work a little early, just enough time for an hour ride. I started by dropping by the DOH sign maintenance shop near Clarksburg, then looped around by Philippi. What a fun ride. God is good!

In keeping with the "Politically Correct 21st Century" some markers with questionable wording are being replaced with more "acceptable" verbage. To wit: markers with "savages" (Indians) are being rewritten with "Native Americans". Another example is references to "black" or "white" people.

This marker was found at the sign repair section of the WV DOH shop in Gore, on Rt 19 just north of Clarksburg. The gentleman there told me, "You should have been here a couple of weeks ago. They had about a dozen of these being shipped off to Ohio for repainting." Dang!!! I've been meaning to stop for over a month now, but seldom get off work before they close. Oh well.

This marker was not sent to be repainted. It was just left to.... I don't know! Any suggestions? As "politically incorrect" as it may be, it's still an Historical Marker. I'll ask Joe Geiger what fate awaits this piece of history.

I will also try to contact Mr Reed, the "sign guy" to find out which markers were sent to the spa.

Originally at Pruntytown (Taylor Co) about 3 miles west of Grafton. (See Post #75 by the wonderfully talented, witty, handsome, and oh so modest pnoman )

Same Marker - Side #2.

Keep the extinguisher handy in case the marker spontaneously combusts.

Here's the new, improved marker that is currently posted on the site. Compare the inscription to the original.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 12-15-2009 at 03:45 AM
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #1053
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
looks like they made the new one a little more politically correct

and left some history out

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #1054
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Look what I found today in Parkersburg.........

Found it right in plain sight. It had been in for restoration every time someone was in the area looking for it. It's located in front of the Federal Building which houses the post office and court house.....

This church building, built in 1894 is directly across the street....

Another pic of the Fed. building.....

Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #1055
pnoman OP
Just Average

Nice Marker

Just Go,

Thanks for the last addition of the year. It seems like the past 3 weeks, I've either been shoveling snow, working 10-12 hour days, or traveling to Wisconsin for Christmas at the In-Laws. No time left for Marker-Hunting.

There is a fresh batch of markers due back from the spa coming into the WV DOH shop near Clarksburg this week. I'm going to try to ride out there and see what they got.

Happy New Year everyone!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 01-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #1056
sgtdep
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Historical Marker: Baker's Station....

Hello to all,

I wanted to extend my thanks to all those who have joined in the effort to document all the historical markers in West Virginia.

I have recently discovered that one of the markers is for Baker's Station. Through a great deal of research on my family tree, I found Census records that show I am a direct decendant of Captain John Baker that built Baker's Station in 1784. It still shows available on line 610 in the master list and I'm anxious to when someone will be able to document that marker. I have found an old photo online which does it no justice.

I wish I could assist in this project but I live in Southern California and unable to travel. So I'd like to say Thanks in advance to who ever is able to get photo's of this marker. I will be eagerly monitoring this forum for that day.

Thanks again!!!!!

SgtDep
sgtdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #1057
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdep
Hello to all,

I wanted to extend my thanks to all those who have joined in the effort to document all the historical markers in West Virginia.

I have recently discovered that one of the markers is for Baker's Station. Through a great deal of research on my family tree, I found Census records that show I am a direct decendant of Captain John Baker that built Baker's Station in 1784. It still shows available on line 610 in the master list and I'm anxious to when someone will be able to document that marker. I have found an old photo online which does it no justice.

I wish I could assist in this project but I live in Southern California and unable to travel. So I'd like to say Thanks in advance to who ever is able to get photo's of this marker. I will be eagerly monitoring this forum for that day.

Thanks again!!!!!

SgtDep
Welcome to the thread, sgtdep. Very interesting ties you have to the area. Are you from WV originally?

That stretch of Rt 2 is one of the few areas I still have not done yet. I should have picked up Baker's Station when I went up to New Martinsville back in Nov. If I had flipped the page on my DeLorme Gazatteer, I would have seen that I was less than 10 miles from it when I photo'd the Mason-Dixon Line at the Marshall/Wetzel line.

We're still digging out of 15-20 inches of snow and temps in the teens the past month, but it looks promising. Today, it's raining and 40s. The snow won't last long with that.

We'll see if someone beats me to it .
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 06:17 AM
Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #1058
sgtdep
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Welcome to the thread, sgtdep. Very interesting ties you have to the area. Are you from WV originally?

That stretch of Rt 2 is one of the few areas I still have not done yet. I should have picked up Baker's Station when I went up to New Martinsville back in Nov. If I had flipped the page on my DeLorme Gazatteer, I would have seen that I was less than 10 miles from it when I photo'd the Mason-Dixon Line at the Marshall/Wetzel line.

We're still digging out of 15-20 inches of snow and temps in the teens the past month, but it looks promising. Today, it's raining and 40s. The snow won't last long with that.

We'll see if someone beats me to it .

Thanks for your reply. I am not originally from WV but my father and before were born in Charleston. I have lived there for a few years during high school though...

Try to stay warm and safe. I miss that weather sometimes....
sgtdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #1059
pnoman OP
Just Average

I got an email from Joe Geiger at the Dept of Archives & History. The following markers are on their way to Sewah for repainting:

Big Lime (Greenbrier)
Berea Sand (Greenbrier)
Aurora (Preston)
Tuscarora Church (Berkeley)
Cow Run Sand (Preston)
“Arthurdale” (Preston)
Preston County/Taylor County
West Virginia University (Monongalia)
Terra Alta (Preston)
Federal Dam (Taylor)
Fort Martin (Monongalia)
Grafton (Taylor)
John Cooke (Wyoming)
Raleigh County/Wyoming County
Salt Sands (Tucker)
Gantz Sand (Preston)
Dunkard Sands (Monongalia)

BTW, here is the link to the Sewah (named for founder E.M. Hawes - backwards) website: http://www.sewahstudios.com/

I'm going to try to find time this week to ride over to the local DOH sign maintenance shop and see if the 10-12 markers they sent to the spa before Christmas are back yet.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #1060
pnoman OP
Just Average

Enough snow already!

OK, I'm ready for spring. There are markers out there waiting to be immortalized. Our local DOH sign shop just received about a half dozen markers back from the marker spa in Ohio with a fresh coat of paint. They were laying (lying?) in a hallway still wrapped in brown paper when I went over there a couple of weeks ago.

Outside the sign shop was the marker for Waitman T. Willey, which was located in Farmington (Marion Co). It must be next on the list for repainting.

Close-up of the Waitman T. Willey marker.

Inside the DOH sign shop, there were several markers still wrapped in paper. Mmmm, you can still smell the fresh paint!

This is the Maryland/Preston Co marker. Not sure if it's from Rt 7, Rt 50, or Rt 219.

Preston Co/Taylor Co line marker. (From Rt 50, as that's the only one I could find listed between these 2 counties)

I did not log any of these in the Master List. I'd prefer to get them after they've been put back in place.

Hope the weather improves soon so we can get back to tracking down the elusive ones. See you soon!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #1061
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
I'll get on some of the ones in/near Pocahontas in a few weeks (assuming the weather keeps melting the glacier in my yard). I've got the itch to go riding again and a new camera.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #1062
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Rupert, Rt 60 - 1 mile east of Rupert

OK, OK, OK.....Martha insisted that I sweep the floor before marker huntin' season starts back. I told her I was just savin' em' for a snowy day.

And again, the wonderful and talented Martha.

Rupert, Rt 60 - 1 mile east of Rupert

From the West

From the East

We took a walk to the cemetery, we could only find a descendant of Bill.

Martha made for the shade of the picnic table. It's really nice to think of that right now.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #1063
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Summers Co / Fayette Co, Rt 20

From the North

From the South

A ride report by Batts and Fallam, before ride reports were cool.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #1064
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Andrew & Charles Lewis March

Andrew & Charles Lewis March, Rt 20, Green Sulphur Springs

From the North

From the South

The long path to the only major battle of Dunmore's War.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #1065
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

We made an honest attempt to collect the following, to no avail.

Mercer

William French Home, Rt 20, CR 44/9, South of Athens

Summers

State Prison for Women, Rt 3, Pence Springs

Greenbrier

Berea Sand, Rt 60 near Caldwell

Maxon Sand, Rt 60, about 2-1/2 miles west of Alta

Sam Black United Methodist Church, Rt 60 junction with CR 60/5

Greenbrier Co / Fayette Co, Rt 20

If it was just me, I would give you about a 50/50 that all of those were missing. But, with Martha on the hunt, it's a pretty sure thing they're gone.