ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #1066
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Great posts, intothenew. First of the Year/Decade!

Looks like summer came early to the southern part of the state. You and Martha both appear to be in top form, as usual.

I'll let Joe Geiger know about the missing ones. They may be at the marker spa for a makeover.

Can't wait 'til it really looks like that outside again.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #1067
pnoman OP
Just Average

Ritchie Co / Wirt Co Line - Rt 47

We're off and running! (or, riding!) OK, I took advantage of the nice weather and skipped work Tuesday to go look for markers. After grabbing the WV Tag near Parkersburg, I headed up Rt 2 along the Ohio River north to Weirton. We'll start with the first new one, which I found before I even got to the tag.

Located about 15 miles southwest of Harrisville, and about 18 miles southeast of Parkersburg.

Historical Marker - Side #1 - westbound entering Wirt Co on Rt 47.

For more on Wirt County: (Pop - 5,873) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirt_County,_West_Virginia

For more on William Wirt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...torney_General)

View Westbound on Rt 47.

Same Marker - Side #2 - Eastbound entering Ritchie Co on Rt 47.

For more on Ritchie County: (Pop - 10,343) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritchie..._West_Virginia

For more on Thomas Ritchie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Ritchie

View Eastbound on Rt 47

Rt 47 is a great ride all the way east to the Glenville/Weston area.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 04:12 PM
Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #1068
pnoman OP
Just Average

George Rogers Clark / Zachary Taylor (Marshall Co)

Located on Rt 2 just south of Woodlands, about 6 - 8 miles south of Moundsville. Located less than 50 meters from the Baker's Station Marker (coming soon).

For more on George Rogers Clark: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Rogers_Clark

For more on Zachary Taylor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zachary_Taylor

Historical Marker looking southbound on Rt 2.

Same Marker (Same bullet holes, too ) Side #2 looking northbound.

View northbound on Rt 2. The Clark/Taylor Marker is in the foreground. The Baker's Station Marker is about 50 meters north.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #1069
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet is updated for 2010

Spreadsheet Has Been Updated

Thru 11 March 2010

Post #1068

# of Markers Documented - 700+

# of Markers Remaining - Appx 100

# of "Missing" Markers not verified - 150+

There are still a lot of them listed as "Missing" that are turning up - either repainted or replaced. Please check for missing ones and let us know if you verify any as actually missing. Thanks!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 04:15 PM
Old 03-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #1070
pnoman OP
Just Average

Baker's Station - Marshall County

Excerpt from "History of Marshall County" website:

Baker Station.
BAKER STATION was erected about the year 1784 at the upper end of Cresap's Bottom, not far from Grave Yard Run. It consisted of a block-house surrounded by pickets and was erected by the joint labor of the settlers of the neighborhood. John Baker resided in it as proprietor. It afforded protection to the settlers of Cresap's Bottom and those of the lower end of Round Bottom.

It was in the line of a war path of Indians and it soon became a rendezvous for scouts who were on the watch for Indians. Many scouts gathered there at times of danger and crossed the river every morning and watched the trail which came down Big Captina Creek. Four scouts crossed from the station one morning and were attacked by Indians; two of them were killed, one wounded and captured and one escaped without injury.

It was from Baker Station that a number of men crossed the river and encountered Indians and fought what is known in history as the Battle of Captina, in which several were killed. Among the number was one of John Baker's sons.

John Baker, for whom the station was named, was killed by Indians opposite the station. John Wetzel and his son George were shot near the opposite shore from the station. Both died the evening of the day they were shot and were buried on the banks of Grave Yard Run near the grave of John Baker. Several were killed near there on the opposite side of the river and were buried on the banks of a run which from the graves was properly named GRAVE YARD RUN.

There were a number of encounters with Indians not far from this station, which are given in the early history and settlement of this county and found in the forepart of this work.

For more geneology information on John Baker - Click Here

Historical Marker located on Rt 2 near Woodlands, about 6 - 8 miles south of Moundsville. View northbound.

Same marker - Side #2 (Southbound)

View northbound on Rt 2

View southeast over the field by the marker.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 04:15 PM
Old 03-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #1071
pnoman OP
Just Average

Washington's Land - Marshall Co

Located just south of Moundsville on Rt 2 (southbound lane).

Historical Marker - northbound view on Rt 2

Who is Archibald McClean? [McClean is noted as deputy surveyor of the Mason-Dixon Line in 1776, but the Mason and Dixon work was completed in 1767 when they were driven off by Native Americans.

Interesting fact I learned on this one: Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon were a mathematician and astronomer - not surveyors .

For a very interesting history of the Mason-Dixon Line: Click Here

Same Marker - Side #2 - Southbound view

View northbound on Rt 2 - Moundsville just ahead.

View southbound on Rt 2.

View to the west of the marker - between Rt 2 and the Ohio River. It probably looked a little different back in Washington's day.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 02:32 PM
Old 03-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #1072
pnoman OP
Just Average

Fort Van Meter - Ohio Co

I couldn't find much on this Ft Van Meter - only the one near Romney WV. However, after searching through sites for Samuel McCulloch, I found an article:

The Death of Major Samuel McColloch: Historical Record and Oral History by Bruce D. Bonar
(Click here for complete article)

(Excerpts)

Perhaps no historical figure of the Upper Ohio Valley during the Revolutionary War period evokes more admiration as a model of frontier heroism than Major Samuel McColloch. The McColloch family was among the early settlers of West Virginia’s northern panhandle. Emigrating from the south branch of the Potomac in 1770, four McColloch brothers settled in the Short Creek area, approximately eight miles above Wheeling and six miles east of the Ohio River. The McCollochs were active in the early frontier settlements, filling the ranks of the militia and serving in leadership positions.

Samuel and his brother, John, sons of John McColloch, became militia officers and respected community leaders. Samuel was commissioned as a Major in 1777. Samuel served as a member of the early court at West Liberty and commanded Fort Van Meter, styled the “Courthouse Court” because it was the site of the first civil court in the northwest wilderness after Ohio County separated from West Augusta in 1776.

Two forts on the tributaries of Short Creek were variously called Van Meter, one at West Liberty and one at Clinton. From either fort, the McCollochs could scout for signs of impending Indian attack.

Samuel’s place in history as a frontier hero was secured as a result of an incident that occured in Wheeling. During the attack on Fort Henry by a combined force of British and Indians on Sept 2, 1777, Major

Samuel McColloch arrived with a company of horsemen from Short creek to reinforce the defenders. Directing his men into the fort, Major McColloch was cut off by the attacking Indians, leaving him no choice but to flee in the direction of Fort Van Meter. Riding up “Wheeling Hill” he met another group of Indians arriving to join the battle for Fort Henry. With Indians pursuing him from the rear and facing a large war part in front, McColloch chose a desperate maneuver. He spurred his wild eyed and bucking steed over the precipice of the hill, which slants at nearly a ninety-degree angle to Wheeling Creek below, a distance of several hundred feet. As bullets from the rifles of the Indians clipped the branches around him, he guided his horse between the trees, crashed through the underbrush and maintained his balance while his horse slipped and stumbled down the hill. The anger of his enemies soon turned to awe as the Indians watched McColloch emerge unhurt from the tree line below and ride away to safety across Wheeling Creek.

The accounts of the ambush that took the life of Samuel McColloch differ somewhat. All agree that he and John were ambushed by a part of unknown Indians while following the trail near Girty’s Point, and Major Sam fell dead from his horse.

The next day, John led a group of men from Van Meter’s to the fallen Major where they discovered his heart missing from the viscera. Major McColloch was brought back to Fort Van Meter (either at West Liberty or Clinton) and either buried in the fort or near the fort. Some time later the settlers were told by an Indian who witnessed the death of Samuel McColloch that the war party paid the Major a grisly tribute by eating his heart so that they might become as brave as Major McColloch. The Indians remarked, “...they (the McCollochs) had killed a great captain (the Indian shot by John McColloch), but we killed a greaterone.”

Historical Marker located on Rt 88 at the junction with CR 7 in Clinton, about midway between Wheeling and West Liberty. According to Joe Geiger (Director of the WV Dept of Archives and History), the missing section read "(4 Mi. S.)" when the marker was originally located near West Liberty to the north.

Same marker - Side #2.

View southbound on Rt 88 at Clinton. Marker is to the right. CR 7 turns to the right in this photo.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 05:30 PM
Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #1073
pnoman OP
Just Average

West Liberty - Ohio Co

Located appx 12 miles northeast of Wheeling along Rt 88. Population - 1,220. Home of West Liberty University. Also site of one of the two Fort Van Meters (see previous post).

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Li..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker located next to the Elementary School on Rt 88 as it passes through town.

For more information on Sam Brady: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Brady

Same Marker - Side #2

View North-East on Rt 88 looking through West Liberty.

View South-West on Rt 88 as it passes through town.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #1074
sgtdep
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thank you, Pnoman!!!

I just wanted to write and give a special thanks to Pnoman!!!! Through documents found during my research on Ancestry.com, I discovered that I am a direct descendant of Capt. John Baker.

Although I am 2,500 miles away, I am able to feel closer to my roots through the pictures posted for Baker's Station. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort taken to locate these markers and document your journey.

Thank you again!

Semper Fi! (from my Marine Corps days....)

DeLoy Baker
sgtdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #1075
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdep
I just wanted to write and give a special thanks to Pnoman!!!! Through documents found during my research on Ancestry.com, I discovered that I am a direct descendant of Capt. John Baker.

Although I am 2,500 miles away, I am able to feel closer to my roots through the pictures posted for Baker's Station. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort taken to locate these markers and document your journey.

Thank you again!

Semper Fi! (from my Marine Corps days....)

DeLoy Baker
My pleasure, Sir!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #1076
pnoman OP
Just Average

Bethany College / Bethany - Brooke Co

Located in Bethany, about midway between Wheeling and Weirton in the Northern Panhandle.

(Following notes from the school website)

Bethany, a small college of national distinction, was founded March 2, 1840. For 170 years, Bethany College has been a highly contemporary institution based in the tradition of the liberal arts.
Founded by Alexander Campbell, who provided the land and funds for the first building and served as the first president, Bethany has been a four-year private liberal arts college affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), since its inception. This religious body, of which Campbell was one of the principal founders, continues to support and encourage the College, but exercises no sectarian control. Students from virtually every religious community attend Bethany.

The approximately 850 Bethany students represent 28 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and nine countries.

Historical Marker located on Rt 67 entering the town eastbound from Rt 88.

Interesting sidenote on Amos Dolbear: Amos Emerson Dolbear (November 10, 1837 February 23, 1910) was an American Physicist and inventor. He invented the first telephone receiver with a permanent magnet in 1865, 11 years before Alexander Graham Bell patented his model. Later, Dolbear couldn't prove his claim, so Bell kept the patent. Dolbear lost his case before the U. S. Supreme Court. Read more: CLICK HERE

Same Marker - Side #2

View eastbound on Rt 67 entering Bethany. College is to the left along the hillside.

View westbound on Rt 67 leaving Bethany.

Looks like some of the college dorms up on the hill from the marker.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 05:09 PM
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #1077
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,407
Nice!

I just need to get it over with and retire.

Edit: Or, ya'll need to get a J-O-B !!

Guy Young screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 05:08 PM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #1078
pnoman OP
Just Average

Rice's Fort / Bethany - Brooke Co

Located in Bethany.

Following notes from the Location of Forts in Brooke County on the WV Brooke County Genealogy website
Click Here for more

Fort Rice Brooke County (W)VA This was a rectangular stockade having a block-house at one of its corners and several cabins with the enclosure. It was situated on Buffalo Creek, by the course of the stream twelve or fifteen miles from its mouth, near where Bethany College now stands in Brooke County. It was erected by Abraham and Daniel Rice, and it afforded protection to twelve families in times of hostilities. In September, 1782, a desperate attack was made upon it by one hundred Indians, who were dispatched to attack it after the siege of Fort Henry had been raised. This action at Fort Rice is among the most remarkable of the border wars. The reds attempted to storm the fort, and while there were but six people in the fort, they killed three Indians and wounded other the first fire. The siege lasted twelve house, then the Indians departed. George Felebaum was killed in the beginning of the battle; the other five members of the heroic band were unhurt; They were Jacob Miller, George Lefler, Peter Fullenweider, Daniel Rice and Jacob Lefler, Jr.

Historical Marker located near the center of town along Rt 76. View westbound.

Same Marker - Side #2. View eastbound.

For more information on Bethany: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethany,_West_Virginia

Bethany - a nice quiet college town if there ever was one. View eastbound on Rt 76 as it passes through town.

(BTW - The 2nd marker in the background is for the "Delta Tau Delta Birthplace" - the red brick house -featured on Post #188 by GrapeApe)
www.RidingWV.com
Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #1079
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Oriskany Sand

Located right in the middle of Riverton, at the junction of 33 and Germany Valley Road.

A brief explanation of what Oriskany Sandstone is can be found here.

Looking towards Germany Valley Road:

Opposite, looking across the road at the sandstone formation itself:

A slightly better shot of the stone. It appeared as though previous passers-by had attempted to chip off some of the rock.

Edit: Also of interest nearby was this monument, located on Germany Valley Road just before the CR9/Roots Run split.

The Gravesite of John Dolly is also in this area, though in my infinite wisdom I didn't print off the spreadsheet or even jot down notes.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 07:09 PM
Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #1080
pnoman OP
Just Average

Beech Bottom Fort - Brooke Co

(The last 2 markers from last week's ride up to the Northern Panhandle. Next, I'll start on the ones from this week's ride down to Cranberry Glades / Lewisburg / Pocahontas Co areas. )

Located on Rt 2 along the Ohio River - about 5 miles south of Wellsburg and about 15 miles north of Wheeling.

From "Brooke County WV Genealogy" website:

Fort Beech Bottom This was a small fort located just south of the Village of Beech Bottom....One of Brooke County's oldest landmarks, the log fort located in Beech Bottom was lost to fire that totally destroyed the structure on July 7, 1917. The exact date of construction of the fort is not known. It was described in "Doddridge's Notes" and was constructed in the latter part of the 18th century when Indian attacks were prevalent along the Ohio frontier. The original construction was a square approximately 25 feet on a side and utilized very heavy logs. Over the years the original construction remained firm and sound. The principal additions were made on opposite sides of the square to produce a long rectangle. .....When the McKinley coal interests of Wheeling acquires coal land in the Beech Bottom area for the openings of a mine they acquired the structure from John Ralston of Wellsburg. .....The principal use made of the building by the McKinley interest was for a boarding house to accommodate some of their many workers who were employed in what was then a newly developed industrial area. This was in the opening years of the 20th century. .....The cause of the fire that destroyed the structure was not determined. .....In this manner one of Brooke County's last remaining links to the early frontier days disappeared. Fort Cox built about 1776 at Mingo Bottom or Cox's Bottom, north of Wellsburg, WV on Friend Cox's land was sold in 1787, a 227 acre tract to Van Swearingen to settle the estate. (Inf. from COX Family book)

Historical Marker located on a pulloff next to an elementary school on the northbound lane of Rt 2.

Same Marker - Side #2

View southbound along Rt 2

View Northbound along Rt 2.
www.RidingWV.com