ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #1156
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Did you get the new "May Moore Mound" marker on Rt2 by any chance?
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #1157
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,986
Missing Markers

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Just a little clean up before I post more. "Washington's Land, Dunbar, Kanawha", we made an honest effort. We ran up and down 10th street from the river to the North side of 64, no dice.

We ran the length of MacCorkle and didn't see the "Indian Mound" that dipstick got the pic of the post. I will add that I have no idea where Oak street is, and it looks from her pick to be a bit back from MacCorkle.

"Salt Rock, Cabell", We ran 45 down to the intersection with 10, 10 through town and back toward Huntington. No dice.
Thanks, Chip. I'll copy/paste this and send to Joe Geiger tonight. Stay tuned for reply.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #1158
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV
Did you get the new "May Moore Mound" marker on Rt2 by any chance?
Nope, we ran rt 2 from Huntington to Ravenswood and then headed East, kinda sorta. If it was between those two we simply missed it.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #1159
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Nope, we ran rt 2 from Huntington to Ravenswood and then headed East, kinda sorta. If it was between those two we simply missed it.
You had to have ridden right by it . Its on rt2 near Gallipolis Ferry/Ben Lemond in Mason County. I will run over there tomorrow evening.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #1160
pnoman OP
Just Average

Gravel Hill Academy - Hancock County

Marker is located in Overlook Park (1 of 7 markers in that location) on River Drive in New Cumberland - between Rt 2 and the Ohio River.

I could not find any more information that what is on the marker for now.

Historical Marker located in Overlook Park along the Ohio River in New Cumberland. This is the only marker for this site. (Some of the others at this location are duplicates of ones around the local area)

Same Marker - Side #2

This is the 3rd marker from the left - between the trash can and the utility pole.

The current building is up on the hill overlooking town, next to the Hancock County Court House. At first, I thought the Court House building may have been the old academy, since it's an older stone building. Wrong.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #1161
pnoman OP
Just Average

Contested County Seat - Hancock County

From WV State History Guide website:

http://www.shgresources.com/wv/counties/hancock/

The act creating the county left the location of the county seat to the electorate, which selected New Cumberland over New Manchester by a narrow margin of 13 votes. The county court had been meeting in New Manchester and the judges initially refused to move the court to New Cumberland. A second election was held in 1850, with New Cumberland winning once again, this time by 46 votes. The county court was then moved to New Cumberland, but a third election in 1852 resulted in New Manchester receiving one more vote than New Cumberland. The county seat then returned to New Manchester until later returning to New Cumberland.

Historical Marker located in Overlook Park along the Ohio River in New Cumberland.

Same Marker - Side #2

This marker is in the middle of the group of 7 - the first one past the 2 utility poles.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #1162
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Calhoun Co /Ritchie Co

Calhoun Co /Ritchie Co, Rt 16

Two sad notes to start with:

1. This could possibly be the only Calhoun County marker out of six that is left standing.

2. I lied, I didn't give Martha her credit for this one on Saturday. This was the last one before the night in Glenville.

From the South

From the North

They like to ramp it up in Calhoun, especially this time of year.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #1163
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Braxton Co / Gilmer Co

Braxton Co / Gilmer Co, Rt 5

From the East

From the West

I offer some personal notes on these two counties. I have spent a considerable amount of time in both, for various reasons.

Braxton; You can still buy staples at the bulk food market in Flatwoods. The dinner buffet at the Comfort Hotel across the slab is a cheap fat boys paradise.

Gilmer; Intothehillsidefarms, as many times as I have seen it, they still amaze me.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #1164
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Helvetia (#2)

Helvetia (#2), Junction CR 46 / CR 45, Helvetia

From the South

From the North

pnoman has covered the town well with his grab of the #1 marker. As`with him, I had not had the experience of the culinary skills that awaited here. We took care of that. I thought the food was great, Martha just kept saying "strange". They were a little hard on the pocketbook for lunch. I had to push away from the table early because it was lunch, and only because it was lunch.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #1165
pnoman OP
Just Average

Brickyard Bend - Hancock County (Marker #1)

One of two identical markers in the area. The other (original?) is located south of New Cumberland about 2 miles on Rt 2. This is 1 of 7 markers at the Overlook Park on River Drive in New Cumberland.

From the WV State History Guide website:

New Cumberland was originally called Brick Bend because of the many brickyards and pottery works that were located there.

Historical Marker located in Overlook Park along the Ohio River in New Cumberland.

Same Marker - Side #2

This is the second marker from the left. (Overlook Park - New Cumberland)
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-14-2010 at 11:27 AM
Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #1166
pnoman OP
Just Average

Brickyard Bend - Hancock County (Marker #2)

One of two identical markers in the area. The other is located in Overlook Park along the Ohio River in New Cumberland, about 2 miles to the north.

This marker is located on Rt 2 about 2 miles south of New Cumberland.

From the WV State History Guide website:

New Cumberland was originally called Brick Bend because of the many brickyards and pottery works that were located there.

Historical Marker located on Rt 2 at the junction of CR 2/6 about 2 miles south of New Cumberland.

Same Marker - Side #2

View southbound on Rt 2. (CR 2/6 is visible turning to the left)

View northbound on Rt 2. Ohio River is just to the left.

This bend in the Ohio River is across the road from the marker. Is this the "Brickyard Bend"??? (looking southwest)

CR 2/6 is also known as Ballantyne Road.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #1167
pnoman OP
Just Average

Capt John Porter / Chelsea China Company - Hancock County

Marker is located at Overlook Park along the Ohio River in New Cumberland.

This is about all I could find on Capt Porter:

From Brick and Clay Record, Vol 28-29: Click here for full text

The Globe Brick Co., at Globe, W. Va., two miles east of New Cumberland, and the Kenilworth Brick Works, at Kenilworth, ten miles east of that city, are the two properties that are kept in almost constant operation through the personal efforts of Capt. John Porter, one of the ablest and most widely known brick men in the United States. As a slight introduction concerning Capt. Porter, we would say that it was he who is said to have sold the first
paving-brick in the United States, and this to the city of Charleston, W.Va., far back in the '70's; and the same brick is in use as a pavement today.
The Globe Company has booked sufficient business to keep the property in constant operation for months to come. Among the orders is 1,400,000 brick to be used in municipal improvements in several parts of Western Pennsylvania. This company has started the erection of two additional 10x30 down-draft kilns, which will be fired for the first time within a month.
Captain Porter has always been closely associated with the brick and clay industry of West Virginia. While his son, Fred G. Porter, looks after the two factories, Capt. Porter spends considerable time on the road seeking new business, and at the same time maintaining a suite of offices in the Bessemer building, Pittsburg. Captain Porter made New Cumberland famous. It was he who discovered the vastness and richness of the clays to be found in old Hancock county. He was also one of the very first to engage in the manufacture of brick from native fire clays. The Kenilworth plant is one of the most modern along the Ohio Valley. To locate it more clearly in the mindof the reader, this works is reached by trolley from East Liverpool, O., the center of the pottery industry of the United States.
All the buildings at Kenilworth are of brick. Adjoining the main building is-the boiler house, and it is separated from the main building by a fire wall of brick. This plant also contains three 10-foot tubular boilers and a 32x48inch steam engine. There are two 9-foot Stevenson dry pans and two Bonnot piano wire screens. The capacity of the plant is 65,000 brick daily and 40,000 re-press brick! There arc eight tracks in the tunnels, and the burning is done in a dozen round down-draft kilns.
At the Globe plant, which has a capacity of 50,000 brick daily; there are 2 Stevenson 9-ft. dry pans; 3 16ft. boilers; one Bonnot stiff-mud brick machine and automatic cutting table, and 10 tracks are used to fill the drying tunnels. There are 11 down-draft kilns at this works, but the company is building two additional kilns which are expected to be in use within a short time.
Captain Porter is always on the go. He is at home every night, and the business hours of the day are spent either at his comfortable offices in Pittsburg, or else out on the road booking business. Both he and his son are greatly admired by the employes of the two plants, who exert every effort to make the Porter plants the most successful in the Ohio Valley.

Historical Marker located in Overlook Park, River Drive, New Cumberland. (Side #1)

Same Marker - Side #2. See photo below.

From an interview with Mr Leslie Cuppie on Nov 19,1975. (He was the great-great-grandson of the town founder, John Cuppy)

Very interesting interview: (see pg 20) http://digital.maag.ysu.edu/jspui/bi...888/2/OH58.pdf

"The China Company was in the lower town, right above the stack. It has changed hands several times. First it was known as the Chelsea China Company and they made dishes. It was rebuilt after the fire and then it was shut down. It has been a porcelain factory since that and also a pottery. The Cronin brothers were the ones who rebuilt it. Part of it was torn down and during the war they made shells in the part that was left. It burned down here one Sunday morning during church time."

Overlook Park, New Cumberland. This marker is the 3rd from the far end. (the 2nd marker past the 2 utility poles)

Outline foundation of the old Chelsea China Company. Located south of the Overlook Park on OLD Rt 2 (passes through a residential area) about 1 mile.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-14-2010 at 12:02 PM
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #1168
pnoman OP
Just Average

Spreadsheet Update

Spreadsheet is updated to Post #1167 (14 April 2010)

Total Markers Documented: Appx 834

Total Markers Remaining (Available): 42 (Accounting for duplicate listings on County line markers)

Total Missing: Appx 300

(Confirmed) - Appx 100
(Not Confirmed) - Appx 200
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #1169
pnoman OP
Just Average

New Cumberland - Hancock County (Marker #1)

One of two (almost) identical markers in the area. The other is located on Rt 2 southbound leaving the downtown New Cumberland area, about 1/2 mile south of the Court House.

This marker is located in Overlook Park on River Drive in New Cumberland, appx 15 miles from the northern tip of WV, along the Ohio River. It is one of 7 markers at the park.

From the WV State History Guide website: http://www.shgresources.com/wv/counties/hancock/

New Cumberland was originally called Brick Bend because of the many brickyards and pottery works that were located there. The city was begun in 1784 and named Cuppytown for its founder, John Cuppy. In 1839, John Cuppy formally laid out the town into 42 lots and called it Vernon, but later changed the name to New Cumberland in deference to the wishes of the first purchasers of the lots. The town was incorporated by the West Virginia state legislature in 1872.

For more information from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Cum..._West_Virginia

Historical Marker #1 located at Overlook Park on River Drive in New Cumberland, between Rt 2 and the Ohio River.

Same Marker - Side #2

Overlook Park - New Cumberland. This marker is the next to the last one on the far right (just to the left of the bright white one).

From up on the hill next to the County Court House, this is a view of New Cumberland looking to the southwest. The hills in the distance are actually Ohio - just across the Ohio River.

Same location, looking to the northwest. Overlook Park (where the 7 markers are located) is located near that tall green pine tree behind the brick buildings in the center of the photo. Again, the hills in the background are in Ohio, just across the Ohio River.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-15-2010 at 04:56 AM
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #1170
pnoman OP
Just Average

New Cumberland - Hancock County (#2)

This is perhaps the original marker (one of two almost identical markers in the area). The other is located in Overlook Park on River Drive in New Cumberland, along with 6 other markers).

This marker is located on Rt 2 southbound, about 1/2 mile south of the County Courthouse.

For information and links about New Cumberland, please see previous post. (#1169)

Historical Marker (#2) located on Rt 2 about 1/2 mile south of the Hancock County Court House in New Cumberland.

Same Marker - Side #2

View northbound on Rt 2 entering New Cumberland.

View southbound on Rt 2 leaving New Cumberland.
www.RidingWV.com