ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #1171
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Just a little clean up before I post more. "Washington's Land, Dunbar, Kanawha", we made an honest effort. We ran up and down 10th street from the river to the North side of 64, no dice.

We ran the length of MacCorkle and didn't see the "Indian Mound" that dipstick got the pic of the post. I will add that I have no idea where Oak street is, and it looks from her pick to be a bit back from MacCorkle.

"Salt Rock, Cabell", We ran 45 down to the intersection with 10, 10 through town and back toward Huntington. No dice.
Joe Geiger replied:

The Salt Rock marker is on County Route 45 (Roach Road) at the Salt Rock Community Park, not far from the intersection with WV 10. I’m not sure why it was moved from WV10 but It has been at this location for as long as I can remember.

The Indian Mound marker in South Charleston was sent in for refurbishment and returned this winter, and I’m sure it will be installed soon if it has not been already. It is right by the mound, visible from US 60.

Washington’s Land in Dunbar – I’ll try to look this weekend. I know it was close to the Dunbar bridge.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #1172
pnoman OP
Just Average

Greenland Gap - Grant County

I started this one back on Post #982, but the Marker was removed from the pole by the construction company working on the new 4-lane highway (Corridor H) through the nearby area. Since then, the Marker has been replaced on the pole, and I was able to get through the construction area to get photos of Greenland Gap.

A few links:

Nature Conservancy: http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art1203.html

WV Civil War: http://www.wvcivilwar.com/14thinf.shtml

First - a recap of a few of the original photos:

Safe and sound in the construction company office trailer.

Empty pole (white pole near right side, in the church lawn) marks the spot.

I was in the area in late March, and found this:

Historical Marker back home on it's pole, at the intersection of Rt 42 and Rt 93 at Scherr, about 20 miles north of Petersburg.

View northbound looking towards the GREAT ride up Rt 42/93 to Mt. Storm Lake.

View east from Scherr looking into Greenland Gap - CR 1

In the heart of Greenland Gap, about 3 miles east of Scherr.

From the east side of Greenland Gap, looking back toward Scherr. This is probably what the construction area on the opposite side of the gap looked like before the work started.

Remember the nice view of the Gap a few photos ago? Well, as Paul Harvey would say, "Here's the rest of the story." Standing near same spot I took the previous photo, I adjusted the camera for wide angle. The road construction through this area has devastated the landscape. How can it ever match the beauty it once had?

Of course, the DOH and the construction company assure everyone that none of the construction was in the actual Greenland Gap area. Maybe, but this close??? You be the judge.

More of the senseless destruction. Less than 1 mile from the entrance to Greenland Gap. Standing in about the same spot as the previous photo - looking north.

And more. Standing in the same spot, looking south. What a shame to see such pristine landscape scarred forever. Of course, people driving by at 65 MPH will only notice for a few seconds, if at all.

For a great article on the impact to the area written by a local :

http://www.wvhighlands.org/VoicePast...Oct00Voice.htm

OK, I'll get off my soapbox. Sorry.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-17-2010 at 07:21 AM
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #1173
pnoman OP
Just Average

Ohio River - Hancock County

One of 7 Markers located in Overlook Park along the Ohio River in New Cumberland.

Summarized From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_River

The Ohio River is the largest tributary (by volume) of the Mississippi River. It flows 981 miles, starting in Pittsburgh at the confluence of the Allegheny River and Monongahela River. At it's widest point near Louisville, KY, it is nearly a mile across. It joins the Mississippi River near Cairo, IL.

Historical Marker located in Overlook Park on River Drive in New Cumberland.

Same Marker - Side #2 (Different inscription than Side #1)

Overlook Park in New Cumberland. This marker is one of seven in the park, and is the last one on the right. (The bright white one)

View across the Ohio River to Ohio.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #1174
pnoman OP
Just Average

Hartford's Mill - Hancock County (duplicate listing)

Before I continue south, I wanted to add the following from Hancock County:

JamNut discovered this "unlisted" marker on a WV Tag-O-Rama quest. At my request, he posted the photo on this thread (see Post #1,000). I happened to be in the area a few weeks ago, and stopped to explore and take a few additional photos.

From a geo-caching website: Click here for photo and more info

Hartford's Mill was built on tract of land that was purchased by the Joseph Coulter family on Dec. 17,1834 for $600. It measured 264 acres, 3 rods, and 27 perches. There is an old roadbed that leads to the site from Lower Laurel Trail. All that remains is the front stone wall of the mill, bricks from the boiler chimney, and some cut stones. There was even a coal mine on the other side of the stream that supplied fuel for the steam engine in later years. The mill was finally lost in 1905 for failure to pay the taxes on it. All that remains of the mill is several cut stones, bricks from the boiler chimney, and the front wall of the mill. There was a coal mine on the other side of the stream that supplied fuel for the boiler and steam engine.

Historical Marker located in Tomlinson Run State Park, appx 1/4 mile off Rt 8, by the entrance to the campground.

Same Marker - Side #2

Marker is set with an old mill stone and informational sign.

Another view of the area with the marker, mill stone, and informational sign.

Mill stone and sign.

Close-up of sign.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #1175
pnoman OP
Just Average

Peter Tarr Furnace - Hancock County

Located about 2 miles north of Weirton, and about 1-1/2 miles east of Rt 2 on King's Creek Road (CR 11)

Notes from the Nomination Form for the National Register of Historic Places, Dec 1975.

Tne Peter Tarr Furnace on Kings Creek near the present Weirton, West Virginia,was firsts built and operated during the decade of the 1790s by an obscure man named Grant. Improved by Tarr 's company, the structure--with
its unusual frustumshaped stack--was quite possibly the f i r s t iron furnace i n operation west of the Alleghenies and helped influence settlement and commercial patterns. During its thirty or so years of service, the furnace was the focal point of the making and sale of skillets , kettles , grates and other household utensils. In time of need, the operation also produced cannon balls of small diameter, some of which were said to have been used by Commodore Perry's fleet at the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812.As settlers pushed over the mountains in ever increasing numbers after theRevolutionary War, a need arose for some fundamental industries to supply what otherwise had to be transported from the east or roughly manufactured at home.
Iron products of all types were in greater demand than the supply could fulfill.
Not too far from the Ohio River near what is now Weirton, West Virginia, an attempt was made to help alleviate the shortage. A man named Grant made an agreement to build an iron furnace sometime between 1790 and 1794, and the land on which it was constructed was deeded by James Campbell and his wife to Peter Tarr and James Rankin in 1801. Indications are that Grant's furnace was the first built west of the Allegheny mountains ; Tarr and company made it a going and growing concern.
Using timber from the surrounding hills , the small group of workers could produce no more than about 2 tons of iron per day. Much of the metal was formed into household'utensils and sold on the premises or sent to Wellsburg or Pittsburgh. Such production helped spur commerce and settlement in the area, and it is only fitting that it is today still a center of the iron and steel industry.
The Tarr furnace has an unusual design. Although the area in which fire and ore mixed to form the molten material from which articles were made was similar to others, its oval salamander is interesting. Of greater interest is the fact that the chimney, or stack, is circular in dimension. Most other furnaces of the period and area had square or rectangular chimneys.
Before ending its production of iron materials sometime after 1815, the furnace helped the infant United States' war effort during the War of 1812 by producing small-diameter cannon balls for use by the navy. It is believed that some of these were delivered to Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's fleet at Lake Erie and were used during his famous battle on that inland body of water.
The uniquely constructed Peter Tarr Furnace, then, played an important role in early industrial and commercial development of the upper Ohio valley region and helped spur settlement west of the Allegheny mountains. In its own small way, it also contributed to the continuing defense of American independence. Continued archeological work at the furnace site is possible, for the original foundation and salamander are basically intact below ground level. In addition, much of the stone used in the 1968 reconstruction of the furnace was from the site.

Historical Marker located on Rt 2 about 2 miles north of Weirton.

Same Marker - Side #2, obscured by bushes.

View northbound on Rt 2. Marker is only visible to northbound traffic due to bushes.

View southbound on Rt 2. Outline of Marker is seen in bushes to the left.

Peter Tarr Furnace located about 1-1/2 miles east of Rt 2 on King's Creek Road.

Informational plaque nest to the furnace.

Those of you who watch/participate in the WV Tag-O-Rama will recognize this as one of my tags in April.

www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #1176
pnoman OP
Just Average

Hancock Co / Brooke Co Line - Rt 2

Located in downtown Weirton on Rt 2.

For more on Hancock County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock..._West_Virginia

Hancock County is both the northernmost county and the smallest county in WV.

Historical Marker located on Rt 2 in the southern part of Weirton.

View northbound on Rt 2 coming into downtown Weirton.

For more onformation on Brooke County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_..._West_Virginia

Same Marker - Southbound entering Brooke County.

View southbound on Rt 2.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #1177
pnoman OP
Just Average

Holliday's Cove - Hancock County

First permanent white settlement in Hancock County. One of 4 communities that merged in 1947 to form Weirton, one of the largest steel-producing cities in the nation.

John Holliday's Fort
(1776 - 1790's), Hollidays Cove
A settlers' fort used as a Patriot supply depot during the 1777 British attack on Fort Henry. Accidently burned down in 1781 and later rebuilt. It was still in use in 1793.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollida..._West_Virginia

Excerpt from Wikipedia: The small village called Holliday's Cove—which is now most of downtown Weirton—was founded in the late 1700s. (It eventually lost the apostrophe.) In 1909, Ernest T. Weir, built a steel mill later known as Weirton Steel Corporation just north of Hollidays Cove. An unincorporated settlement called Weirton grew up around the mill that by 1940 was said to be the largest unincorporated city in the United States. By then Hollidays Cove and two other outlying areas, Weirton Heights and Marland Heights, which as their names suggest were on hilltops or ridges surrounding the "Weir–Cove" area, had also incorporated.
On July 1, 1947, all of these areas — Hollidays Cove, Marland Heights, Weirton Heights, and unincorporated Weirton — merged and formed the City of Weirton as it currently exists.

Historical Marker located on Cove St, about 100 feet east of Rt 2.

Same marker - Side #2

Westbound view of the marker. Rt 2 is visible ahead going left (south) and right (north). The marker is in a small outdoor patio / garden area next to an office building.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 05:46 AM
Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #1178
pnoman OP
Just Average

Three Springs Church - Hancock County

Located on Rt 105 in Weirton, about 2 - 3 miles east of Rt 2 at South 17th St. This road runs along the northern edge of Weirton to the PA border.

I Googled and Binged and came up empty. If anyone wants to add historical notes (or email them to me to add to this post), that would be nice.

Historical Marker located on Rt 105 in Weirton about 2 - 3 miles east of Rt 2.

Same marker - Side #2

View westbound on Rt 105. Marker is on the left side of the photo.

View eastbound on Rt 105. Yes, it's sitting in a used car lot!

The church would have been to your right about 100 yards.

View south into the residential area where the church once stood. I rode around a few blocks, and the only thing I could find that could possibly be connected is an empty plot on the next block. Maybe they can't build a house where a church used to be???
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #1179
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
General McCausland

General McCausland Marker on Rt 35 in Mason County. About 2 miles north of the mason/putnam line. I looked for this marker in the fall but it wasnt in place at that time.

Marker facing North

Marker facing south

The old homestead. Structure isnt in very good condition. Beautiful land though.

A nice Mail Pouch Barn across the road.

some interesting history on the General

http://www.wvculture.org/history/jou...vh/wvh4-1.html
Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #1180
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Mason/Putnam Marker Rt 35-missing

The Marker is broken off but the post is in place.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #1181
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

May Moore Mound-Rt2

May Moore Mound Marker on Rt 2 in Ben Lemond. I tried to get a decent picture of the mound. Its huge but the bank/brush along Rt 2 is really high near the marker. All the land is posted so I went to Crab Creek and tried to zoom in across the field. Its a really bad pic.

Marker facing North.

Marker facing South

Bad pic of the mound. Its between the two big trees and right behind the big barn. The mound is so overgrown it blends in with the trees behind it.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #1182
pnoman OP
Just Average

Thanks.

Rider WV,

Thanks for the new additions. I looked for those last summer, but they were still "missing".

I went out for a short ride yesterday and found a "missing" marker just 15 miles from home. I think we'll be finding new ones for quite some time.

See you at Seneca next month?
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #1183
pnoman OP
Just Average

Brooke Co / Ohio Co Line - Rt 2

Located on the Ohio River along Rt 2, about 10 miles north of Wheeling.

For more on Brooke County: (2nd county from the top of WV) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_..._West_Virginia

For more on Ohio County: (3rd county from the top of WV) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_County,_West_Virginia

Historical Marker located at the Ohio Co / Brooke Co Line on Rt 2. Mmmm, Grimes Golden Apples!

View northbound on Rt 2 entering Brooke County. Ohio River is to the left.

Same Marker - Side #2

View southbound on Rt 2 entering Ohio County. Ohio River is on the right.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #1184
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Rider WV,

Thanks for the new additions. I looked for those last summer, but they were still "missing".

I went out for a short ride yesterday and found a "missing" marker just 15 miles from home. I think we'll be finding new ones for quite some time.

See you at Seneca next month?
I will try to make it to Seneca next month.

FYI-"Smoke Hole Cave" marker is in place on Smoke Hole road. We rode right past it Saturday and saw fresh concrete around the pole. I didnt have my list and didnt realize it was previously "missing". I knew I should have stopped for a pic.

If anyone is in the mood for an awesome ride the marker is 100% there.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #1185
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Gilmer Country/Calhoun County Rt33

I picked this marker up on the way home from the Laurel Fork Campout. Its labeled as missing on the list. I am still kicking myself for not stopping at the smoke hole cave marker.

Marker Facing east

Marker Facing west