ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #1186
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,903
Marker Spreadsheet Update

Oops - I miscounted some of the duplicate County Line Markers, so here is a more accurate count:

Spreadsheet updated to :

Post #1185 - 26 April 2010

Total Markers Documented: 783

Total Markers Remaining: 35 (not counting "Missing" markers that may have recently been replaced)

Please let me know if you see any mistakes/omissions. Thanks!

Whew!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 04:24 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #1187
pnoman OP
Just Average

Wheeling Hospital - Ohio County

Marker is located on Rt 2 on the north side of Wheeling. A new hospital has been built in a different location.

For a very nice article about the original hospital - with photo:

http://www.lindapages.com/wags-ohio/whg-hosp.htm

Historical Marker located on southbound lane of Rt 2, north of downtown Wheeling.

Same Marker - Side #2

View northbound on Rt 2

View southbound on Rt 2 approaching downtown Wheeling.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-01-2010 at 04:28 PM
Old 05-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #1188
pnoman OP
Just Average

Wheeling - Ohio County

Located on the I-70 Exit 1-A offramp for eastbound travelers who are getting off on Rt 2 (Main St) southbound. (Southwest part of I-70 and Rt 2 interchange).

First WV State Capital.
Home of Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel - once large steel producer now owned by a Russian company (most of production moved overseas)
Home of Marsh-Wheeling Cigars (oldest cigar plant in USA)
Home of Swisher Intl (makers of Mail Pouch Chewing Tobacco)

For more fun facts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeling,_West_Virginia

Historical marker located on the Eastbound I-70 Exit 1-A (Main St) offramp.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound at the eastbound traffic exiting I-70. Bridge crosses the Ohio River into ..... you guessed it, Ohio .
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #1189
pnoman OP
Just Average

John Simpson - Taylor County

(Here's one that was only 15 miles from my home, but I thought was missing because I didn't go out the road far enough - I previously stopped and turned around less than a mile away . )

Historical Marker is located in the town of Simpson, on CR 13 about 3 miles east of Flemington (about 15 miles east of Clarksburg).

From Wikipedia:

In about 1764, John Simpson, a trapper from the South Branch of the Potomac, passed over the mountains and crossed Tygart River at the mouth of Pleasant Creek, in present-day Taylor County, and then journeyed over to another stream, to which he gave the name of Simpson's Creek. Farther on he came upon another stream, a tributary to the West Fork of the Monongahela, on which be bestowed the name of Elk Creek, and at the mouth of which he built a cabin and here he continued to reside, until permanent settlements began to be made around him. Simpson's cabin was the first home built by a white settler on the present site of Clarksburg, WV.

Historical Marker located on CR 13 in Simpson, about 3 miles east of Flemington and about 5 miles west of the junction with Rt 119/250 south of Grafton.

Same Marker - Side #2

View westbound on CR 13. Town of Simpson.

View eastbound on CR 13.

Welcome sign next to the Marker.

View of the town of Simpson just east of the Marker.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #1190
pnoman OP
Just Average

Wells Lock & Dam - Wirt County

This one was listed as "Missing", but was apparently out for repainting. Located just north of Elizabeth, follow CR 14-7 east for about 2 miles. On the right, you will see a very small sign pointing down a gravel driveway about 100 meters to the marker and a small park.

From Associated Content website:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ia.html?cat=16

Wells Lock near Elizabeth in Wirt County, West Virginia, is an old lock and dam on the Little Kanawha River. The Little Kanawha River flows from an area near Buckhannon in Upshur County, WV, and runs to Parkersburg, WV,
where it empties into the Ohio River. Wells Lock was built in the late 1800's and serviced the timber and petroleum boom of the area. Today the lock provides a glimpse into this past time and while the lock is inoperable it still dams the river. Recent surveys by the state have found critical structural problems in the lock.

Near the lock is a nice gravel parking area and a historical marker telling more about the lock and the area. Access to the lock and dam is relatively easy though the footing can be slippery at certain times. The area has a pit restroom for visitors to use. Upstream of the dam lays a deep pool that provides a calm water area to fish and relax. The water is deep above the dam for some miles and is too deep for wading.

Historical Marker located next to Wells Lock & Dam, about 2 miles east of Rt 14 on CR 14-7, just north of Elizabeth.

Same Marker - Side #2

View of Marker as you enter the park. Lock & Dam are straight ahead 100 meters by the river.

View from the Marker and park back out the driveway to CR 14-7. (About 100 meters)

View of the lock and dam. Needs a little TLC.

Another view from the upper part of the lock.

CR 14-7 is a short, but beautiful ride from the highway (Rt 14). The driveway that goes down to the marker, lock, and dam is located just ahead by those big trees next to the road on the right (about 250 meters ahead).
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 05:45 PM
Old 05-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #1191
pnoman OP
Just Average

Seneca Rocks Get-Together May 22-23

Just a reminder - the Historical Markers / WV Tag-O-Rama Get Together is at Seneca Rocks May 22-23. For more information and to "sign up", click the link below to go to vatrader01's thread. Hope to see you all there!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563050
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #1192
pnoman OP
Just Average

William C. Markle - Clay County

Located on Rt 4 in Maysel, about 3 miles from the junction of Rt 4 and Rt 16, and just east of the junction of Rt 4 and Rt 36.

Here is an interesting article written by a son (un-named in article):

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/pioneer/

Interesting to note that he also worked on the Alaska Railroad. I've been on that several times from Anchorage to Fairbanks and down to Seward.

Historical Marker located on Rt 4 in Maysel, about 3 miles west of the junction with Rt 16.

Same Marker - Side #2

View eastbound on Rt 4 - entering Maysel.

View westbound on Rt 4.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-08-2010, 03:33 AM   #1193
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,128
Walter Cool, Diana

I best get crackin' here, we had the William C. Markle and I just hadn't posted. Please don't tell Martha.

Walter Cool, Diana

From the South

From the North

The conviction was related to a herd of missing Union horses. Obviously, no grave stone.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #1194
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

The Welch marker at the rt 52 overlook is missing. I got a picture of the post, but I didn't have my card in the camera and have no clue how to retrieve it. Trust me? The description needs to change to East of 103.

We looked for the Braxton/Nicholas on 19, hit the old road, as much as you can. You can't get to the county line on it any more I don't think. We ran North bound on 19 past the county line, there is a wide spot with a few signs on the South bound side, but we didn't notice a marker.

Indian Battle in Upshur has me a little flustered. We ran cr-12/Buckhannon Mt from the county line into Buckhannon with no success. I'm not so sure that I know where I am at on that one.

We've got five fresh targets slated for the run up and back to the meet, and a few that we are going to take a second look at on the way back.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #1195
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
I best get crackin' here, we had the William C. Markle and I just hadn't posted. Please don't tell Martha.

Walter Cool, Diana

Well.... what goes around, comes around....

Taken last week, next one on my list to post today or tomorrow.

Even Steven, as we used to say.

The Indian Battle in Upshur County has me baffled too. I even stopped by the DOH shop in Weston, but the supervisor was not in. I turned off the 4-lane at Lorentz (Population Center marker) and turned left (west ) past the Lewis Co / Upshur Co line. No luck. I rode the Old Rt 33 all the way to downtown Buckhannon. Twice. No luck. I'm working on getting an answer.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-09-2010 at 07:26 AM
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #1196
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

On second look, after cleaning up my map vs the spreadsheet, I'm down to less than nubbins.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #1197
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 450
Mount De Chantal

This new or recently refurbished marker is located at the entrance to the now closed academy on Washington Avenue in Wheeling. Look closely and you can see where a typographical error was corrected on the face of the marker.

Here is some more info on the academy that I got from the website http://www.mountdechantal.org/index.htm

A History of Mount de Chantal

When established in 1848, the Mount de Chantal Visitation Academy pre-dated both the formation of the state of West Virginia (in 1863) and the establishment of the Diocese of Wheeling (now Wheeling-Charleston) in 1850. From 1848-2008 the Sisters of the Visitation provided an outstanding education for girls, inspired by the school’s original motto: "Religion and Fine Arts."

Early History

Bishop Richard Vincent Whelan wanted to establish in Wheeling an independent school for girls of all faiths. This idea, characteristic of the Visitation Order for almost 400 years, remained a guiding principle at the Mount throughout its existence. Girls from many states and territories came to reside at the school, and during the Civil War years the present Mount de Chantal was built about three miles from the city of Wheeling. The Sisters and students began residence in the new school in 1865.
The Civil War and its aftermath left many southern families unable to pay tuition and boarding costs at the academy where their daughters were once pupils. Two Sisters with ecclesiastical permission began the Mount's first campaign for funds. They travelled to Philadelphia and New York to solicit contributions. One of the individuals they contacted in New York was the Tammany Hall politician Boss Tweed. Touched by the Sisters' dedication, Mr. Tweed loaned them his carriage and driver and gave the Sisters a list of names and letters of introduction to some of his wealthy friends. Needless to say, the Sisters collected enough money to pay the outstanding construction costs of their academy. With the surplus they were able to establish the "Southern Fund" in order to provide financial assistance for their old pupils of the South. The success of the fund is attested to by letters of thanks from Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, which are in the archives of Mount de Chantal.
Academic Progress

A strong academic program remained one of the Mount’s many traditions. Over the years the school kept the best of its curriculum, but progressed with the times to include courses in computer science and new methods of conducting classes such as the Pathways program, which gave students the opportunity to study at their own pace. Courses at Wheeling Jesuit University were available to those who wished them, and often a Mount graduate was admitted to the Sophomore class at their college of choice. Language study was stressed as well as mathematics, music and the other fine arts, science, history, religion, and a strong English course with emphasis on composition and the study of literature.
Boarding at the Mount

Change at Mount de Chantal through the years reflected the changes experienced by American society. An original residence school only policy was followed by decades as a resident and day school. Students and alumnae from all over the world gave faculty and students a more personal awareness of broad global concerns. The residence school was closed in 1982 due to a decline in the number of boarders, but it reopened in 1999 and the school welcomed girls from Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia as well as other parts of the United States.
Academic Programs

In addition to its program for girls only in grades seven through 12, the Academy also conducted a Montessori School for children age three through six and an Elementary program for boys and girls in 1st - 6th grades.
Mount de Chantal in the 21st Century

Historically, the low faculty-student ratio allowed for much personal contact and individual attention. The faculty and staff strived to create an atmosphere which was congenial, encouraging, and stimulating. A later motto used today, although actually older than the original one, sums up very well what the school offered to students from Montessori through senior year: "Be who you are and be it well so that you will give honor to the Master Craftsman whose handiwork you are." This motto comes from the pen of the founder of the Visitation Order, St. Francis de Sales. Many of the alumnae keep in touch with the Mount and a number of them served as members of the faculty. This continuity helped to preserve a tradition of high-quality college preparatory education at Mount de Chantal. The philosophy of the school reflected the spirit of the Sisters of the Visitation, a spirit of humility before God and great gentleness toward one another. The school sought to promote in all its students the development of spiritual, physical, and academic skills as well as an appreciation for the social issues of the day. Students were always encouraged to grow in awareness and understanding of themselves and others, and to be prepared to give service beyond the Mount de Chantal community. Because of low enrollment and dwindling resources, after 160 years of service, the Mount de Chantal Visitation Academy graduated its final class on May 31, 2008. Early in 2010, the remaining Sisters of the Visitation relocated from Wheeling to the Georgetown Monastery in Washington, D.C.

Grape_Ape screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 07:46 AM
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #1198
pnoman OP
Just Average

Mount de Chantal

Nice one, Grape Ape. I spent an hour looking for that one last summer. I think there may be a few more "missing" ones that have recently been replaced in the area. I'll try to find a list.

Hope to see you May 22nd at Seneca Rocks?????
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #1199
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Gibson-Linn

This Marker is located on Stone Blvd. In Wheeling. You can catch a few nice glimpses of the city below from this area. I really enjoy riding in Wheeling.

Here's a link to a good read on the adventure:

http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland...chapter05.html

Grape_Ape screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 07:47 AM
Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #1200
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Nice one, Grape Ape. I spent an hour looking for that one last summer. I think there may be a few more "missing" ones that have recently been replaced in the area. I'll try to find a list.

Hope to see you May 22nd at Seneca Rocks?????
Thanks. I was looking for a ride destination today and thought I'd try to clean up some of the available Ohio County markers.

Don't know if I can swing the 22nd yet.